Author Topic: Posters that you will only buy rolled  (Read 18790 times)

Offline kovacs01

• Global Moderator
  • Hoarder
    • My Poster Gallery
Re: Posters that you will only buy rolled
« Reply #25 on: February 03, 2012, 12:43:50 AM »
Welcome back Ari!
Schan
Thanks.  You know what you did.
My Poster Gallery

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #26 on: February 03, 2012, 01:53:58 AM »
Yes, welcome Back Ari, sure is good to see you posting again happy1
It's more than a Hobby...

Offline Chop-Top

• Collector
    • My One Sheets
« Reply #27 on: February 03, 2012, 02:39:04 AM »
Anything post 1985!

My initial post was geared towards artwork specific posters that you are on the fence about and if you found one rolled you would buy it, but wouldn't buy folded. Anything after 85 denotes a preference of rolled vs folded, which I think most of here would agree that anything after 85 is best to find a rolled version, but that's wasn't my topic so to speak. For instance, I thinned out my collection a few months back to make room for better posters. In those that I sold, a few of them I was borderline on, but decided to sell. Later, when I found rolled versions of these same borderline posters, it pushed the meter just enough back to the want category. But yes, if I had the funds, I'd be buying all my posters rolled.

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #28 on: February 03, 2012, 04:13:15 AM »
if I need it, I don't care if a poster is rolled or folded

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Offline 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #29 on: February 03, 2012, 07:00:40 AM »
There is only one poster I would have to buy rolled (quite tight):

hmmmm... just read the 1st page... oh well
« Last Edit: February 03, 2012, 07:08:10 AM by 50s »

Offline crowzilla

• Hoarder
    • Kaiju Poster Database
« Reply #30 on: February 03, 2012, 07:31:15 AM »
The guy with the largest movie poster collection in the world folds ALL of his posters.
When he gets new releases in, the first thing he does is fold them up to make them easier to store.
I've sat with him and watched him do it.
The Online Reference to Japanese Sci-Fi Posters:
www.Kaijuposters.com

Offline 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #31 on: February 03, 2012, 08:08:53 AM »
Maybe that is why he has the largest collection... nobody wants to buy folded posters that are found commonly flat?

Did your heart sink when you saw this?

Is it benito?

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #32 on: February 03, 2012, 11:30:54 AM »
I'm guessing his first initial is T, and not  the one on this board... ;)

Chop, rolled posters are always preferred, but us older collectors who buy mostly pre-70's don't "usually" have much choice. It's folded or nothing..... And we have No problem with that.
But if given the choice, as certain titles do pop up rolled now and again, more so in Quads than 1shts, if it's in financial limits I would buy it over the folded one. Though if it was a case of spend £500 to up grade to a rolled poster, my £500 would be going elsewhere...I would only buy rolled if, I didn't already have it, or it was a special poster to me. Otherwise....
It's more than a Hobby...

Offline crowzilla

• Hoarder
    • Kaiju Poster Database
« Reply #33 on: February 03, 2012, 01:43:57 PM »
It is not Benito, his first initial starts with an M.

I think our T said he adds over 1,000 posters a year to his collection. At that rate, if this gentleman stopped collecting it would take T over 135 years to catch up to him.

Sitting in one of his four warehouses here in the US (I know he also has some in Europe) was pretty amazing. It was even more amazing considering his collection is that large with no duplicates (so it's not like a dealer with 1,000 copies of 150 titles or something).
The Online Reference to Japanese Sci-Fi Posters:
www.Kaijuposters.com

Offline Chop-Top

• Collector
    • My One Sheets
« Reply #34 on: February 03, 2012, 02:28:21 PM »
I'm guessing his first initial is T, and not  the one on this board... ;)

Chop, rolled posters are always preferred, but us older collectors who buy mostly pre-70's don't "usually" have much choice. It's folded or nothing..... And we have No problem with that.
But if given the choice, as certain titles do pop up rolled now and again, more so in Quads than 1shts, if it's in financial limits I would buy it over the folded one. Though if it was a case of spend £500 to up grade to a rolled poster, my £500 would be going elsewhere...I would only buy rolled if, I didn't already have it, or it was a special poster to me. Otherwise....

Now how about some examples!

Offline 110x75

• Hoarder
« Reply #35 on: February 03, 2012, 03:53:31 PM »

this one?

Matias
http://110x75.blogspot.com.ar/

IG: @cinepapelarchivo

Offline 110x75

• Hoarder
« Reply #36 on: February 03, 2012, 04:01:14 PM »

I think our T said he adds over 1,000 posters a year to his collection. At that rate, if this gentleman stopped collecting it would take T over 135 years to catch up to him.

Sitting in one of his four warehouses here in the US (I know he also has some in Europe) was pretty amazing. It was even more amazing considering his collection is that large with no duplicates (so it's not like a dealer with 1,000 copies of 150 titles or something).

Sean, we all have our own speciallized interests. You buy -mostly- Godzilla and japanese monster stuff, Rich buys Chandler and gambling, and so does almost all member here, including myself...
At 135.000 posters (and 4+ warehouses) what does this guy specifically collects??? Everything he sees?  :o
Matias

Offline stewart boyle

• Hoarder
« Reply #37 on: February 03, 2012, 04:32:05 PM »
If Mr M is such a big shot,why is he not a member here ,?
135,000..dude spends more time on-line than me,would be great if you could pursuade Mr M to let you post a pic of one of his warehouses,just cos I'm a nosey bastige.
I could let you lot glimpse my spare room in return. ;-)
Stew

• Post-aholic
« Reply #38 on: February 03, 2012, 05:23:13 PM »
Mr M is one of the top collectors in the hobby and his interest is to have a piece that represents every film ever made. It is a fantastic historical archive that only exists to my knowledge in his single collection.

concerning Stew's post.. Stew.. what % of real collectors do youthink belong to newsgroups??
I can answer.. a very small %.
He bids at every auction house and on ebay. he buys at conventions. he buys collections. He travels all over the world buying posters. He is a giant in the hobby in this manner

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder

-------

Offline stewart boyle

• Hoarder
« Reply #39 on: February 03, 2012, 05:31:40 PM »
Mr M is one of the top collectors in the hobby and his interest is to have a piece that represents every film ever made. It is a fantastic historical archive that only exists to my knowledge in his single collection.

concerning Stew's post.. Stew.. what % of real collectors do youthink belong to newsgroups??
I can answer.. a very small %.
He bids at every auction house and on ebay. he buys at conventions. he buys collections. He travels all over the world buying posters. He is a giant in the hobby in this manner
Rich ,as small fry. I have no idea who Mr M ,is,I was however very interested  in finding out who the guy is.
When a cryptic post is sent.I am very curious to find the answer mate.

Stew

• Post-aholic
« Reply #40 on: February 03, 2012, 05:58:18 PM »
Rich ,as small fry. I have no idea who Mr M ,is,I was however very interested  in finding out who the guy is. When a cryptic post is sent.I am very curious to find the answer mate.
Stew

Stew.. that has nothing to do with your query why he is not on this forum. I can name dozens of big time collectors and dealers who do not use forums of any kind. Most of them do not use forums because of time constraints. Others do not use forums because they choose anonymity (as is noted by the many guests that peruse them). the presence of a forum does not necessitate a required participation by collectors, nor does their collecting habit necessitate forum participation. If the individual wishes to expose himself, that's his perogitive. It is not Sean's or my right to expose the collector, ergo I will not reveal his name any more than I would reveal yours as a potential bidder on an item I list for auction. People enjoy privacy on their own terms just like I choose not to post all that much information on Facebook for instance. Your interests in knowing who "he" is does not negate his wish to remain anonymous if he chooses, which is a rights issue that everyone - including yourself enjoys.

« Last Edit: February 03, 2012, 06:52:08 PM by MoviePosterBid.com »

-------

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #41 on: February 03, 2012, 06:21:31 PM »
A guy on the Pawn Stars episode Smells Like Pawn Spirit a few weeks ago said he has "the largest theatrical collection in the world."  Rick (on the show) said the guy's name is Chuck.  He was there to authenticate a circus poster.  Anybody see that episode?
« Last Edit: February 03, 2012, 06:52:59 PM by NeoLoco »

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #42 on: February 03, 2012, 06:28:25 PM »
Yes, welcome Back Ari, sure is good to see you posting again happy1

+1

Go Ari!  ;D

Offline stewart boyle

• Hoarder
« Reply #43 on: February 03, 2012, 06:36:44 PM »
Stew.. that has nothing to do with your query why he is not on this forum. I can name dozens of big time collectors and dealers who do not use forums of any kind. Most of them do use forums because of time constraints. Others do not use forums because they choose anonymity (as is noted by the many guests that peruse them). the presence of a forum does not necessitate a required participation by collectors, nor does their collecting habit necessitate forum participation. If the individual wishes to expose himself, that's his perogitive. It is not Sean's or my right to expose the collector, ergo I will not reveal his name any more than I would reveal yours as a potential bidder on an item I list for auction. People enjoy privacy on their own terms just like I choose not to post all that much information on Facebook for instance. Your interests in knowing who "he" is does not negate his wish to remain anonymous if he chooses, which is a rights issue that everyone - including yourself enjoys.

I know Rich,you're input is priceless at times.just tell us. who is mister maybe ?

Stew

• Post-aholic
« Reply #44 on: February 03, 2012, 06:51:20 PM »

-------

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #45 on: February 03, 2012, 06:55:22 PM »
Many of us wish.  :P

Offline 110x75

• Hoarder
« Reply #46 on: February 03, 2012, 07:00:56 PM »

That is one ambitious task  clap
Matias

Offline 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #47 on: February 03, 2012, 07:52:50 PM »
ME

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #48 on: February 03, 2012, 08:22:07 PM »
if I need it, I don't care if a poster is rolled or folded

Then I'll agree with Rich.  I don't care.  Folds are part of the making of a poster.  If it was folded, I want it folded.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #49 on: February 06, 2012, 05:15:16 AM »