Author Topic: Buying Posters Through Bank Transfer.... Is It Safe?  (Read 4966 times)

Offline TheAnswerMVP2001

• Collector
  • Just Mellin'
    • Voluptuous Vinyl
Buying Posters Through Bank Transfer.... Is It Safe?
« on: December 31, 2011, 03:41:16 PM »
I'm the kind of person who at the end of the day really doesn't trust anyone especially when it comes to money.  So when someone who is selling a couple posters I really want and wants a bank transfer I'm a little weary, and this person is in another country so I'm even more weary.  Essentially I don't know the security of it, from my angle it seems like I'm excepting all the risk.  If I never get my posters do I have any recourse?  At least through Paypal I can file a claim or contact my credit card company.  Anyone else done a bank transfer?  Is it secure?  Do I have recourse if something goes wrong?
« Last Edit: December 31, 2011, 03:42:31 PM by TheAnswerMVP2001 »

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
Re: Buying Posters Through Bank Transfer.... Is It Safe?
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2011, 03:48:33 PM »
you have no recourse but to file a report with the police.
the banks will stay out of any such claim, and your money will evaporate
presuming it's a thief that is

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Offline TheAnswerMVP2001

• Collector
  • Just Mellin'
    • Voluptuous Vinyl
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2011, 03:53:53 PM »
you have no recourse but to file a report with the police.
the banks will stay out of any such claim, and your money will evaporate
presuming it's a thief that is

Yea, I'll just pass. I wouldn't feel comfortable paying Amazon.com through a bank transfer so I don't know why I'd consider a bank transfer to an online vendor in another country!  Thanks for the reply.

guest4185

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2011, 07:44:15 PM »
I have made bank transfers and if I sell in Australia i mention to the buyer that I prefer bank deposit and had many pay that way and I have never let them down.

• Post-aholic
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2011, 07:53:12 PM »
I have made bank transfers and if I sell in Australia i mention to the buyer that I prefer bank deposit and had many pay that way and I have never let them down.

we know who you are Rick

WE KNOW.....

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder

-------

Offline TheAnswerMVP2001

• Collector
  • Just Mellin'
    • Voluptuous Vinyl
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2011, 07:57:31 PM »

I'm sure there are quite a few honest sellers like yourself out there, unfortunately that can't be said for everyone.  And with my usual luck I'll be the one that gets burned.  Ironically this vendor has Paypal as a payment option on their site, which I questioned them on when they said bank transfer only (have yet to hear back).  I really don't see the distaste of accepting Paypal, maybe if I offer to pay the minimal fee Paypal deducts for receiving money they'll change their mind, other than that what's the deal?  The amount is under $500 so they can easily transfer the funds to their account with no additional fees.  I'd rather pay an extra 3% to cover the Paypal fee and have the added confidence I've got Paypal and my credit card company to fall back on if I get burned than to transfer my money into someone's account I don't even know.  

Offline CJ138

• Collector
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2011, 09:03:16 PM »
good instincts.  a transfer direct from my account is a no go.
Lowering the brow of APF since 2010.

• Post-aholic
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2011, 10:24:32 PM »
who is the dealer

-------

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2012, 04:08:42 AM »
You can pay with Visa, and you have better cover than Paypal. If he doesn't want to do this I'd walk.... It's not worth the risk.

It's more than a Hobby...

Offline TheAnswerMVP2001

• Collector
  • Just Mellin'
    • Voluptuous Vinyl
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2012, 04:22:41 PM »
who is the dealer

I don't really want to disclose the vendor at this point.  It's no one who frequents this forum.

You can pay with Visa, and you have better cover than Paypal. If he doesn't want to do this I'd walk.... It's not worth the risk.

I was going to pay with Visa through Paypal, not sure if that makes a difference.  Would Visa defer any issues to Paypal?

Offline bigmike

• Collector
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2012, 04:33:18 PM »
We just want to know who the vendor is. ;D

If there is a problem and Paypal won't take care of it.
Yes, Visa will try and fix it. Just keep everything noted. When paid, and emails, etc. etc. You have to make a claim if anything goes wrong, it might take up to two months to get your money, but aslong as you show proof, you are okay.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2012, 04:34:32 PM by bigmike »

Offline stewart boyle

• Hoarder
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2012, 04:34:41 PM »
If a seller makes it really difficult for you to pay him?..jeez..what more could you do..?
You have offered to pay thru visa and paypal...what next telegram??

Stew

Offline TheAnswerMVP2001

• Collector
  • Just Mellin'
    • Voluptuous Vinyl
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2012, 03:44:38 PM »
I'll go ahead a let you all know who it is because at this point I'm a little annoyed. It's probably not going to be much of a surprise once I tell you it's Intercard SRL.  I've really heard nothing good about them from anywhere, seems the last 2-3 years their response time to inquires has been horrible.  So I was pretty surprised when the guy got back to me within a couple days, and after that his return replies were pretty quick.  Granted I had to translate everything to Italian when I wrote him (as I read on other forums that was the best way to get in touch). But the fact he doesn't seem to want to take Paypal (which is on his site as a valid payment) is odd.  I emailed him again last night (as I still haven't heard back to my question about why he won't take Paypal) showing him my 100% eBay feedback and even offering to pay an additional 10 euros to cover any Paypal fees to show I was an honest and serious buyer, but I started thinking why should I essentially be begging to buy something from this guy?  I don't think the prices are that great, in fact for the two posters I wanted they were probably pretty inflated and he wanted 40 euros for shipping!  Most sellers on ebay in Italy charge 12-15!  And a guy in Italy charged me $25 and shipped it two day Fedex!  So that 40 euros is obviously a rip off.  If he ever gets back to me and agrees to take Paypal there's still a slight chance I'll do it, because I really like one of the posters but nothing about this seems reasonable.  Here I am offering to pay him more money, they are already priced high with shipping that is absurd, and the deal breaker is he doesn't want to take Paypal!  Way too fishy for me.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2012, 04:05:22 PM by TheAnswerMVP2001 »

Offline Tang Lung in Rome

• Hoarder
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2012, 01:30:50 AM »
Hmm....I'm sure he accepted PP for me ??

Offline TheAnswerMVP2001

• Collector
  • Just Mellin'
    • Voluptuous Vinyl
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2012, 05:41:37 PM »
Hmm....I'm sure he accepted PP for me ??

Do you live in the United States?  I have a feeling he doesn't like Americans... I only say this because once he found out I was in the US he didn't want to take Paypal and wouldn't respond back to my emails whereas before he replied to my emails within a days time.  The whole time I was emailing him in Italian, so he probably thought I was Italian which is why he was responding abnormal quickly compared to what everyone else claims he takes. 

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2012, 06:22:04 PM »
Do you live in the United States?  

I believe he lives in Italy...hence the name 'Tang Lung in Rome.'  hitself
If so, maybe Tang could be persuaded to conduct the transaction for you?

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2012, 06:35:34 PM »
Don't forget that tax evasion is the national sport of Italy....

Charlie

« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2012, 06:58:28 PM »
Holy Crap are these all for sale?  Check out the Eastwoods; I'm drooling....

Offline TheAnswerMVP2001

• Collector
  • Just Mellin'
    • Voluptuous Vinyl
« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2012, 07:58:50 PM »
Holy Crap are these all for sale?  Check out the Eastwoods; I'm drooling....

GOOD LUCK TO YOU!  Everything is for sale if they're still available, a couple things I asked about were no longer available.  Doubtful anyone updates that site on any regular basis.  Like to know if anyone else in the US gets Paypal shunned.  Mel's comment was another one of my guesses, maybe he'd have to pay taxes on whatever he collects through Paypal.  Still update your website and take it off, if that's the case!  Personally if all he takes now is bank transfer I'd shy away, they don't happened to have much in the way of a good rep anymore so it seems like a big risk to me, plus after thinking about it the prices for what I was looking at (which was not anything sought after by most) seemed pretty high.  And shipping was like $60.  :o

I believe he lives in Italy...hence the name 'Tang Lung in Rome.'  hitself
If so, maybe Tang could be persuaded to conduct the transaction for you?

I figured that was a possibility, but I've learned never to assume anything anymore.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2012, 08:00:17 PM by TheAnswerMVP2001 »

Offline Tang Lung in Rome

• Hoarder
« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2012, 11:36:22 PM »
Do a little research guys : Tang Lung went to Rome from H.K in the film Way of Dragon , thus the name ;)

I live in northern Europe......he's slow to reply but usually does.