Author Topic: An interview with James White (Signalnoise) on the creation of his Drive print  (Read 15222 times)

Offline Ed_209uk

• Hobbyist
    • Film on Paper
Hi all,

I recently interviewed James White who is the designer behind this excellent Drive print and thought you guys might enjoy reading it.

« Last Edit: January 18, 2012, 12:08:33 PM by Ed_209uk »
My collection website: Film on Paper
Twitter: @filmonpaper

Offline archie leach

• Hoarder
I came across this from his Google+ post.  Kevin Bacon was seen laughing...

Nice print...

Dread_Pirate_Mel

Thanks for posting Ed!

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
Great interview, Ed.  Very inspirational. White's DRIVE poster is easily the best art for the film.
I really appreciate all of the links incorporated into your work.  I always use them and quickly find myself traipsing all over the internet.
One visit to Film On Paper usually adds half a dozen new bookmarks to my computer.
Thanks for posting such cool stuff and adding to the allure of this hobby.
 cheers

Offline Ed_209uk

• Hobbyist
    • Film on Paper
You're very welcome gents  :)

Offline wonka

• Hoarder
  • Reverend of the APF
Great work Ed, really enjoy these interviews you are posting.

Site has crashed right now, BTW, for the drop.
"Ben. His name is Ben. But he's a Celtic fan, so Asshole will do too." -Thierry

Quote from: MoviePosterBid.com
I was mistaken,

Offline holiday

• Thierry's Nightmare a/k/a King Slut
  • Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
Great interview.  Great poster.  I picked up both sizes.
Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery

"What happened to all the people?" Mystified MPF Member, February 20, 2010

"I actually quite like the name Peanut."  Andy Neal on MOPO, April 22, 2010

Thierry:  Type the word APF on MPF and it spells: "Banned due to malicious unsolicited private message ".

Charlie to the guy who lost to EatBrie:  You just got "T-boned"!  Happens to the best of us...  Wait until you get "Holidazed"!

Thierry to Silhouette:  Please tell her it's a tiny part of my collection so she doesn't think I'm a total creep.  Oh wait, no, I am a total creep.

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
I'm not sold on the poster yet, but I hate missing out on something, so I picked up a 24x36in.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline stewart boyle

• Hoarder
Ok... I loved the film on paper article...very well done... thumbup
Am I the only one that thought,,this guy really loves that Star Trek motion picture rainbow effect?
It seems to be on almost everything he does...

Stew
« Last Edit: January 19, 2012, 03:42:18 PM by stewart boyle »

Online Tob

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
Cool interview Ed, nice one! Poster looks good, I went for a large one too...I reckon it must have over sold though, so I'm kinda expecting a refund.

PS - Ed, did you check out that article Mark posted in the general forum? A link to Empire magazine online which had lots of concept shots for the UK poster design for Drive. An interesting read.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2012, 04:22:39 PM by Tob »

Offline holiday

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
I'm not sold on the poster yet, but I hate missing out on something, so I picked up a 24x36in.

T

I think it's the best looking poster for the movie.  I'm pleased that the larger version is printed on poster paper, while the smaller is on stock.

In the end, you can't go wrong in having 1 of 30.
Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery

Thierry:  Type the word APF on MPF and it spells: "Banned due to malicious unsolicited private message ".

Charlie to the guy who lost to EatBrie:  You just got "T-boned"!  Happens to the best of us...  Wait until you get "Holidazed"!

Thierry to Silhouette:  Please tell her it's a tiny part of my collection so she doesn't think I'm a total creep.  Oh wait, no, I am a total creep.

Offline theartofmovieposters

• Collector
    • theartofmovieposters
Cool interview Ed, nice one! Poster looks good, I went for a large one too...I reckon it must have over sold though, so I'm kinda expecting a refund.

PS - Ed, did you check out that article Mark posted in the general forum? A link to Empire magazine online which had lots of concept shots for the UK poster design for Drive. An interesting read.

Oh please no.  I dragged my arse out of bed at 5am this morning to snafu one.
I'll rip my hair out if I get a refund notification!
Ves

Offline Ed_209uk

• Hobbyist
    • Film on Paper
Glad you liked the article folks and am also pleased that some of you snagged the poster (fingers crossed for those worried about refunds).

Stew: There's no question about it; he loves his colours!  ;D

Tob: I saw that article on Empire - there are some great alternatives, particularly the montage ones near the beginning.

Online Tob

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
Looks like the 36 x 24" is being extended to be a larger run due to an oversell.

Out of interest, do you guys mind? I'm really cool with that decision as oppose to a refund email...I don't really care if the edition size is 30 or 300 tbh, I was buying for the image, but I have a feeling not everyone will feel the same (I bet some of the expresso beans members will be annoyed).

Offline holiday

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
I think its pretty fucked up that if he's going to increase the edition size, he does not at least rebate $20 or so on the prints.  He priced them at $90 each knowing it was an extremely limited run of 30.  He then sells 150 (oops!), and says, will, rather than refund all that extra money, I'll print more copies!  Part of the buzz that got people buying was the incredibly small print run.  He's basically taken that buzz and turned it into money by arbitrarily increasing the run.

Now, don't get me wrong, I'll keep the print, but that's because I'm just another poster whore.  But I'll keep bitching!
Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery

Dread_Pirate_Mel

I think its pretty fucked up that if he's going to increase the edition size, he does not at least rebate $20 or so on the prints.  He priced them at $90 each knowing it was an extremely limited run of 30.  He then sells 150 (oops!), and says, will, rather than refund all that extra money, I'll print more copies!  Part of the buzz that got people buying was the incredibly small print run.  He's basically taken that buzz and turned it into money by arbitrarily increasing the run.

Now, don't get me wrong, I'll keep the print, but that's because I'm just another poster whore.  But I'll keep bitching!

Geez, let the guy make some $$, instead of the flippers.

Not everybody can bill $500 per hour, ya know

Offline holiday

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
Geez, let the guy make some $$, instead of the flippers.

Not everybody can bill $500 per hour, ya know

Especially you government types!
Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery

Offline wonka

• Hoarder
  • Reverend of the APF
But I'll keep bitching!

I agree.

;)

(I actually agree with your thoughts on this piece. Is it known how many over the 30 he sold? I think prints need to be sold AFTER they are printed, IMO).
"Ben. His name is Ben. But he's a Celtic fan, so Asshole will do too." -Thierry

Quote from: MoviePosterBid.com
I was mistaken,

Offline holiday

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
Here's the email that I received earlier today from them.  It's self-explanatory.  Shocking that they sold 150 before they could figure out that they were overselling!

Hello everyone.

Thanks so much for your interest in purchasing the limited edition DRIVE poster. Launch day last Thursday was met with an overwhelming response, quite literally. I wanted to send my gratitude to each and every one of you, hence the mass email. If you are receiving this, you have purchased the limited 24" x 36" version.

Now, a story.

When the fulfillment company, Merchline launched the posters in my store the server traffic was so high it buckled parts of the website. If you were trying to buy a poster you might have noticed the technical difficulties. As a result, the 24" x 36" version was oversold before we could cap the product entry. The edition was supposed to be 30, but 150 were sold. It happened within minutes.

This obviously presented me with a problem. I could keep the poster run at 30 and refund the vast majority of orders. This would leave those refunded orders with no other option since the 22" x 28" versions are also sold out, in short leaving them with nothing. So, I've decided to extend the 24" x 36" print run to fulfill all the orders taken. This original version will not be reprinted, maintaining limited edition integrity. They will still be hand-signed and numbered accordingly.

I understand this extended print run is very unexpected (to even me) so if you have any issues with this course of action and would rather a refund, I would be more than happy to oblige. Simply reply to this email and include your order ID.

I truly appreciate your understanding. I'm a 1-person company and this is my first big poster release which brought some unexpected speed-bumps. I am doing my very best to treat collectors, fans of DRIVE and Signalnoise supporters with the upmost of respect by being completely upfront in this matter. You may see a follow-up to this email should any questions arise.

Thank-you so much for the amazing response, everyone. It truly means a lot, and I am already hard at work on my next big poster release.

All the best.

-- james

I agree.

;)

(I actually agree with your thoughts on this piece. Is it known how many over the 30 he sold? I think prints need to be sold AFTER they are printed, IMO).
Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery