Author Topic: Storing Larger posters?  (Read 16641 times)

Offline bigmike

• Collector
Storing Larger posters?
« on: December 10, 2011, 10:08:27 PM »
How do you guys store larger posters? French and Italian?
Poly, Mylar? folded? I want to store them properly (acid free environment I guess) so they last, but can be viewed easily aswell.

Is there anyway to store them upright? So I don't have to keep unfolding them when I want to view them?

Offline 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
Re: Storing Larger posters?
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2011, 10:40:30 PM »
I have talked about my current solution here.

I have since made changes so I don't roll posters so tightly, only having one roll per tube.

tstatum

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2011, 01:01:16 AM »
Maybe I should care more, but most "big" poster I have are store the same wY they are shipped.

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2011, 02:44:18 AM »
Same here, all my bigger posters are stored how they were originally sent from the printers.  I do think we can go over board with storage... If you have a poster from the 50's, it's lasted 60 years without all the "modern" protection....   
It's more than a Hobby...

Offline Tang Lung in Rome

• Hoarder
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2011, 03:12:42 AM »
Most are linen backed...looks like a bunch o skyscrapers  bed1

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2011, 12:26:18 PM »
All my French and Italian posters are stacked on top of each other in drawers.  I only fold them in half and over time the rest of the folds tend to disappear under the weight.  I can put about 170 posters per drawer.  Two flat file cabinets are full of them.
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2011, 12:34:46 PM »
I wish I had room for another flat file, mine are full and I have posters all over the house in other drawers.

I quite like the idea of un-folding (some-what) my bigger posters like T does...
It's more than a Hobby...

Offline bigmike

• Collector
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2011, 01:02:03 PM »
T, is there any stress on the other fold mark though? since there is so much weight on it?

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2011, 01:09:42 PM »
Steve.. I'm 100% certain that your tubes should not be standing on end and should be horizontal, which is how I have my own such tubes.
I have steel shelves erected ends out so I can slide the tubes in. I'd shoot pics of them, but right now they're all blocked in anyway

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Offline stewart boyle

• Hoarder
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2011, 01:29:46 PM »
It has to be horizontally stored...given time,if you store your paper vertically,the force of gravity will eventually cause the edges to fold in on themselves..

Stew

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2011, 01:37:33 PM »
It has to be horizontally stored...given time,if you store your paper vertically,the force of gravity will eventually cause the edges to fold in on themselves..

Stew

Couldn't you say the same thing if they are stored horizontally?  Wouldn't the poster roll collapse a bit over time?  I would think horizontally would be better, but I'm just playing devils advocate here...

Offline stewart boyle

• Hoarder
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2011, 01:40:26 PM »
Couldn't you say the same thing if they are stored horizontally?  Wouldn't the poster roll collapse a bit over time?  I would think horizontally would be better, but I'm just playing devils advocate here...
Thats true Harry, I meant stored flat horizontal..not rolled in a tube...

Stew

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2011, 01:44:51 PM »
when stored vertically, you have the full weight of the poster on the end, which is not good.
stored horizontally, the most you have to do is every few months rotate the poster to prevent flattening.. that's it, but even flattening will self repair after a while while creasing from weight on the end is very difficult to remove
« Last Edit: December 11, 2011, 02:15:47 PM by MoviePosterBid.com »

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2011, 02:11:06 PM »
Very true.

Online marklawd

• Hoarder
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2011, 02:24:39 PM »
I roll my large posters in over-sized mylar and put them in wide cardboard tubes stored vertically - the edge of the mylar takes all the pressure  (also forming a barrier to the cardboard) and consequently there is zero stress on the edge of the posters.

Mark

Offline 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2011, 03:52:22 PM »
Steve.. I'm 100% certain that your tubes should not be standing on end and should be horizontal, which is how I have my own such tubes.
I have steel shelves erected ends out so I can slide the tubes in. I'd shoot pics of them, but right now they're all blocked in anyway

I agree it is not good, however it seems to be working for me as all posters in the tubes are linen backed, all have 2 inches of linen overhang, are on thick linen and all posters aligned exactly at the bottom to distribute the weight evenly amongst them. With my space constraints I have little other option unfortunately.

Offline 110x75

• Hoarder
« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2011, 04:05:37 PM »
With my space constraints I have little other option unfortunately.

Steve, your only space problem is that damned 6sh for "strangler of the swamp". Send it, let me lighten you up  ;)
Matias
http://110x75.blogspot.com.ar/

IG: @cinepapelarchivo

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2011, 08:49:54 PM »
My large French posters folded in half in the drawers...

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2016, 01:26:08 AM »
My large French posters folded in half in the drawers...

T

GREAT pic there, T.

-Jeff

Offline Tob

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2016, 09:27:52 AM »
I built a giant sandwich out of insulation foam board. I put my rolled big posters (bus stops) in between the two pieces and use some poly bags as 'protection' for the posters against the foam. It fits quite nicely under a double bed.

Offline ddilts399

• Hoarder
    • .5% of my collection online
« Reply #20 on: March 28, 2016, 03:04:16 PM »
Talking bus-shelters, or never folded stuff. I just use bruce's kong tubes, or original 4"x4"x6' shipping boxes and store as many rolled inside each other as I can get in there. If you have a full tube or a box, stuff doesnt flatten (unless you pile boxes) and ends do not crush regardless of being horizontal or vertical.

The cardboard paranoia, we will all be dead before the card board would effect anything printed the last 40 years. Cool, dark, relative humidity 45% range, good to go.

Offline BruceH

• Hoarder
    • eMoviePoster.com
« Reply #21 on: March 28, 2016, 06:23:24 PM »
Talking bus-shelters, or never folded stuff. I just use bruce's kong tubes, or original 4"x4"x6' shipping boxes and store as many rolled inside each other as I can get in there. If you have a full tube or a box, stuff doesnt flatten (unless you pile boxes) and ends do not crush regardless of being horizontal or vertical.

The cardboard paranoia, we will all be dead before the card board would effect anything printed the last 40 years. Cool, dark, relative humidity 45% range, good to go.

I agree. And the plastic bag paranoia is similar.

I was reading that the "slabs" comic books are placed into may actually be harmful to them!

We (eMoviePoster.com) hold 2,500 to 4,000 auctions every four weeks.
We have auctioned more movie paper for more money (in real sales) than any auction in the world.
We have the longest continuously running auctions of any auction, with over 1,914,280 to date from over 3,192 consignors.
See all of our current auctions in one gallery here: http://www.emovieposter.com/agallery/all.html

Offline bigmike

• Collector
« Reply #22 on: March 29, 2016, 07:24:40 PM »
I agree. And the plastic bag paranoia is similar.

I was reading that the "slabs" comic books are placed into may actually be harmful to them!

Precisely why each poster should be encapsulated in mylar sleeves with archival backing board and microchamber paper in between the poster and board. :P ;D

Offline Ari

• Curator
    • OFFALEATERS HOUSE OF THE DAMNED
« Reply #23 on: March 30, 2016, 11:25:32 PM »
folded, in boxes.
boxes stacked.
shed door closed.
An Error Has Occurred!
You can't report your own post to the moderator, that doesn't make sense!

Offline movieposterodyssey

• Hobbyist
« Reply #24 on: March 31, 2016, 01:33:26 AM »
Some folded in mylar and some rolled with poly and put into a tube. As said, the plastic keeps the ends from crushing.
They rolled ones can be a bit of a pain to store and handle. It's worth it, though.