Author Topic: Internet Site Showing How To Ship Posters  (Read 12094 times)

Dread_Pirate_Mel

Internet Site Showing How To Ship Posters
« on: December 04, 2011, 01:53:39 PM »
After getting dozens of crushed/destroyed posters, I finally got motivated to post a basic primer on shipping posters on MoviePosterCollectors.com at this address:

http://www.moviepostercollectors.com/Shipping_Posters.html

I recommend adding this link to your "Favorites" list and sending it to unknown shippers to prevent poster tragedies. 

Since it is aimed at novice shippers on Ebay,  kept it pretty basic.  Most novice shippers are not going to "sleeve" a poster, so I left that out.  (And really I don't agree with sleeving posters anyway because the poster usually ends up rolled too tight).

Any constructive suggestions welcome, but it took me a year to get motivate to put it together, so it may take a year to make any additional changes :)

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
Re: Internet Site Showing How To Ship Posters
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2011, 02:26:31 PM »
Mel, in case I haven't said it before, you're a real plus to the hobby.  Your site is informative and very well designed.  I hope it shows up at the top when people search movie posters.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Bruce

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2011, 03:07:51 PM »
That package looks eerily familiar!

Great job, Mel. Where's the one for unfolded posters? Or did I miss it?

Bruce

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2011, 03:08:39 PM »
Now we need a site convincing sellers to not be lazy and we are set!
Chris

Offline AdamCarterJones

• Hoarder
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2011, 04:38:14 PM »
Mel, why don't you add that video I sent to you ages ago to your site of the guy showing how to package rolled posters?
That would be good instead of just doing it by pictures.
Best wishes,
Adam

DreamWarrior

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2011, 12:47:34 AM »
That package looks eerily familiar!
I thought the same thing. thumbup

Charlie

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2011, 09:38:22 PM »
I think the only thing that I like (and it may be a bit over board) is to have one side out of 1/4" plywood and then actually heat seal the plastic (preferably 4-mil or higher) to completely prevent moisture.  Then if you make the plywood larger than the posters and have another thick piece of cardboard; you don't even need the stay flat. 

T, how did those Italian posters arrive.  I shipped them like this (just wrapping them in craft paper)... 

You might think the plywood gets expensive but you can get 24 boards out of one $14 sheet...

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2012, 02:04:05 PM »
Still getting 10-15% damaged posters from Ebay sellers, so I updated the page to reflect Ebay policies.  I recommend you send a link to this page to every Ebay seller you buy from BEFORE they ship to head off any disputes and give them notice of minimum shipping standards:

moviepostercollectors.com/Shipping_Posters.html

« Last Edit: March 13, 2016, 08:03:46 PM by erik1925 »

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2012, 03:57:22 PM »
"I will fight this to the end." ?  :-\

Some people's customer service, or complete lack thereof, is amazing.  Although I'm pretty sure that you probably won't be able to change people who have terrible customer service, I applaud your efforts.   thumbup

Offline Silhouette

• Hoarder
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2012, 04:16:48 PM »
I like.

Interestingly it does not state (that I can find) on Aus Ebay that insurance is the care of the seller http://pages.ebay.com.au/help/pay/packing.html What it does say is "Some sellers may include tracking information in their email to you. Also, some sellers may include the option of paying for insurance to protect your item against loss or damage."

As that is optional I don't think it unreasonable that they would ask the buyer to pay.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2012, 04:17:18 PM by Silhouette »
David

guest4208

« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2012, 01:02:45 AM »
They put all of the onus on the seller to get the package delivered safely and on time which is fair enough. Most professional sellers will cover the package for loss and provide tracking. However ebay also expect sellers to offer free shipping. They can't have it both ways.

Offline AdamCarterJones

• Hoarder
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2012, 07:29:50 PM »
Oh no, not again! Lol.
Notice how Mel never replied to anyone in this thread (regarding legitimate questions) then out of the blue he posts this diatribe about eBay?

RE eBay
I read what is in his screenshot of his correspondence with the seller on eBay and I sit here thinking WTF!?
Honestly, I hope that seller joins this forum and replies to him.

eBay is very dodgy regarding their policies.
They vary from one country to the next.
Remember, there are private sellers and business sellers, and these have different policies too. It's a minefield.

It seems to me Mel is sprouting about something he again has little knowledge of in the real world.
eBay's shipping policies are not very fair, sensible and enforceable.
As a buyer and seller I have been to war with eBay numerous times over their shipping policies and believe me when I say, they are NOT fair.

eBay FORCES a whole host of things onto sellers - they don't have a clue 95% of the time.

In my experience, when selling on eBay (as a private seller) if you offer shipping with insurance and the buyer does not choose it then the buyer relinquishes his right to compensation. It's simple. It's their choice. And remember, private sellers are NOT business sellers so do not have to abide by business rules. eBay is, after all, an auction website for everyone.

Insurance is NOT a cost of doing business either - liability insurance and the like is, yes - Do you pull this one on Bruce? Or any other website for that matter?
You CAN charge buyers for insurance ... this is why we have different shipping methods.
Eg Second Class Recorded / First Class Recorded / Special Delivery / International Signed For / AirSure etc etc etc.

Of course, if an item is described as mint and you receive it damaged then the seller has a case to answer, but if the damage was done in transit then that responsibility lies NOT with the seller but with the postal courier. Some people find this hard to understand.

Edit:
I forgot to say - can Mel respond to the questions people asked and the statements that were made about the sources of his packaging as he credits no one.
It is rather ignorant to ignore people.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2012, 07:31:33 PM by bondposters.com »
Best wishes,
Adam

Charlie

« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2012, 07:43:12 PM »
Captain Tactless strikes again...  Why don't you wack off to a Bond girl instead of instigating shit.  This kind of stuff and not being able to take what you dish out is what made your pussy ass quit last time...
« Last Edit: December 14, 2012, 08:07:59 PM by Charlie »

Offline 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2012, 07:51:17 PM »
Of course, if an item is described as mint and you receive it damaged then the seller has a case to answer, but if the damage was done in transit then that responsibility lies NOT with the seller but with the postal courier. Some people find this hard to understand.

I dont agree. It is my responsibility to get my money to the seller as required. It is the sellers responsibility to get the item to me as required. Any failure to do this is the responsibility of the sender who you entered a contract with to rectify, not any middle man sub contracted by the sender.

If buyer requires reduced shipping costs (eg no insurance / poor packaging) The buyer must be made aware of the risks and accept responsibility, as a deviation to the shipping solution the seller was taking responsibility for. The seller has to take full responsibility for at least one shipping option.

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2012, 09:41:31 PM »
Although Adam is rather pitifully trying to stir up trouble, the facts are clear.

It's a fact that under US Ebay's policy "the seller is responsible for the item until it is in the buyer's possession."

It's a fact that under US Ebay's policy sellers "can't charge a separate fee for insurance" although the seller can indirectly "incorporate any insurance fees into an item's price or handling cost."

As a buyer I've won all the 15 or so Paypal cases I've filed about posters damaged in transit. In most of the cases the seller threw a tantrum, claimed the packaging was sufficient, and/or claimed it was the buyer's responsibility.  In every case Ebay ordered the shipper to accept a return for a full refund. In every case I did return the poster for a refund (except for High School Hellcats, which I elected to keep notwithstanding the damage, because it is nearly impossible to find a tri-fold copy).

The policy is totally sensible because the seller controls the time, means, and method of shipping, so it's fair to impose liability on the seller and forbid the seller from shifting responsibility to the buyer or forcing the buyer to obtain a refund solely from the insurer.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2012, 09:45:56 PM by Dread_Pirate_Mel »

Offline Ari

• Curator
    • OFFALEATERS HOUSE OF THE DAMNED
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2012, 09:45:48 PM »
Regardless of eBay policy, seller should be responsible for the packaging being good enough to survive as sent.
An Error Has Occurred!
You can't report your own post to the moderator, that doesn't make sense!

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2013, 05:54:17 PM »
Bump....

I'm getting better shipping results when I send this link to shippers:

http://www.moviepostercollectors.com/Shipping_Posters.html

Added a new section:

Offline Hallucination Generation

• Collector
« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2013, 06:38:40 PM »
Mel, in case I haven't said it before, you're a real plus to the hobby.  Your site is informative and very well designed.  I hope it shows up at the top when people search movie posters.

T

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2013, 07:41:18 PM »
HG, take a chill pill.  Plus I'm too busy admiring my own awesomeness:

Offline Hallucination Generation

• Collector
« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2013, 08:40:27 PM »
HG, take a chill pill.  Plus I'm too busy admiring my own awesomeness:

Just a joke between strangers on the interweb.

And I'm well chilled out. I'm smoking my Marley posters!  O0

« Last Edit: January 13, 2013, 08:46:27 PM by Hallucination Generation »

Offline Silhouette

• Hoarder
« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2013, 08:50:42 PM »
HG, take a chill pill.  Plus I'm too busy admiring my own awesomeness:

Hallelujah! I am blinded by your awesomeness!

BTW, who's the chick whose hand you're holding Mel?

« Last Edit: January 13, 2013, 08:51:55 PM by Silhouette »
David

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2013, 09:38:41 PM »
 laugh1

Classic pictures for those USPS packages.

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2013, 09:43:36 PM »
Saw this on another forum:

"I work for USPS. I know for a fact that the damage to your package was not due to "human tossing the package", but due to the "automation". We use to "hand" sort all the packages. Now the automation took over. Any particular package that you dropped at a station will be shipped to a processing center in a container. The container will be pushed in a APU (automated pacel unloader), feeding a automated convoyer belt. The belt drops all pacels into a SLIDE, feeding 6 keying stations. USPS workers key in the zip code of the packages, the key statation sends the package onto a carrier cell of a parcel sorter. The parcel sorter drops the item to a container for further shipping to destination. The process takes 2 to 3 times depending domestic mail or international mail. So your package will sustain lot of loading and unloading (dropping), squeezing inside the containers. Human tossing is minimum."
« Last Edit: January 14, 2013, 09:43:48 PM by Dread_Pirate_Mel »

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #23 on: January 14, 2013, 09:57:54 PM »
Maybe we can get the sorting machine to read the tips?
Chris

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #24 on: January 14, 2013, 10:16:51 PM »
Maybe we can get the sorting machine to read the tips?

Just write the tips in binary code!

"01010000011011000110010101100001011100110110 01010010000001100100011011110010000001101110 01101111011101000010000001100010011001010110 111001100100"

"Please do not bend!"