Author Topic: Nov. Heritage Signature Auction  (Read 23726 times)

Dread_Pirate_Mel

Re: Nov. Heritage Signature Auction
« Reply #75 on: November 19, 2011, 07:54:50 AM »
After all the dust has settled most of the items I wanted ended slightly higher than I was prepared to pay (annoying that), but I did get two that I'm very happy with, including TERROR that has eluded me in several auctions the past 5 years, a real steal this one

That's a terrific "Terror from the Year 5000" Ian.  And a pretty good price to boot.

Albert Kallis is the artist.  Monster Brains has an excellent showcase of his art with an article about him. He also did Invasion of the Saucer Men, The Astounding She Monster, etc.

Offline ATLfun

• Hoarder
« Reply #76 on: November 19, 2011, 08:03:26 AM »

I have never been into collecting posters from any particular artists.  But Mel, every poster you attributed to Mr. Kallis are among my favorites.  I had no idea that the same person designed them all.  Thanks for the great article.

Brian
   "Please step away from the keyboard.  In my unsolicited opinion, you paid too much for your poster," said APF Price Police Officer Thierry.  

Charlie

« Reply #77 on: November 19, 2011, 08:10:51 AM »
I give up.  I'll have to go up there next time with cash in hand.  My wife would castrate me if I bought anything at this point.  Everything I was tracking zoomed past my number.  The To Catch a Thief went for $1,553 w/BP.  The insert went fairly cheap IMO at $550 though...

Offline ATLfun

• Hoarder
« Reply #78 on: November 19, 2011, 08:17:17 AM »
I give up.  I'll have to go up there next time with cash in hand.  My wife would castrate me if I bought anything at this point.  Everything I was tracking zoomed past my number.  The To Catch a Thief went for $1,553 w/BP.  The insert went fairly cheap IMO at $550 though...

Hey Charlie, HA has a 40x60 To Catch a Thief up for post auction buy.  It has a "make an offer" button, if you want to toss in a low bid.

http://movieposters.ha.com/c/item.zx?saleNo=7043&lotNo=83529

Brian
« Last Edit: November 19, 2011, 08:18:02 AM by ATLfun »
   "Please step away from the keyboard.  In my unsolicited opinion, you paid too much for your poster," said APF Price Police Officer Thierry.  

Offline ATLfun

• Hoarder
« Reply #79 on: November 19, 2011, 08:24:12 AM »

The nice thing about blowing your budget on the first day, is that you do not have to worry about watching the 2nd Day.   ;D

« Last Edit: November 19, 2011, 08:28:38 AM by ATLfun »

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #80 on: November 19, 2011, 08:28:34 AM »
Brian, did you really get that HP lenticular?

The Catch A Thief is a tough choice, the 40x60 has slightly inferior art but significantly larger size.  Here they are proportionately sized.  Putting a big box over most of Grace Kelly's hair is a tragedy, of course....

« Last Edit: November 19, 2011, 08:50:19 AM by Dread_Pirate_Mel »

Offline ATLfun

• Hoarder
« Reply #81 on: November 19, 2011, 08:33:56 AM »
Brian, did you get that HP lenticular?

Yes, sir.  I figured I might as well get one to go with my frenchie.   wynk

Charlie

« Reply #82 on: November 19, 2011, 08:36:14 AM »
I don't like the 40x60.  I really dig the blue swirls on the one sheet... Not gonna settle.  Just have to save up and go to Big D next time...

Charlie

« Reply #83 on: November 19, 2011, 08:38:58 AM »
  Yes, sir.  I figured I might as well get one to go with my frenchie.   wynk

qip qip clap clap woohoo woohoo thumbup thumbup happy1 happy1 happy1 sm1 sm1 sm1 sm1 sm1 sm1 sm1

Way to go!  Epic poster for your collection...

Charlie

« Reply #84 on: November 19, 2011, 08:49:04 AM »
Brian, did you really get that HP lenticular?

The Catch A Thief is a tough choice, the 40x60 has slightly inferior art but significantly larger size.  Here they are proportionately sized.  Putting a big box over most of her hair is a tragedy, of course....

Actually Mel you bring up a very good point.  Maybe not getting this one is a sign from the poster gods to hold out for the half sheets or six sheet without boxes over Grace's head:

« Last Edit: November 19, 2011, 08:49:31 AM by Charlie »

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #85 on: November 19, 2011, 09:04:07 AM »
Actually Mel you bring up a very good point.  Maybe not getting this one is a sign from the poster gods to hold out for the half sheets or six sheet without boxes over Grace's head:

Totally agree - the half sheet Style A is the one to beat....

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #86 on: November 19, 2011, 09:26:49 AM »
This 1930 "Anna Christie" 1S with Greta Garbo sold for $38,000, well beyond the $5-$10K estimate:

« Last Edit: November 19, 2011, 09:27:26 AM by Dread_Pirate_Mel »

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #87 on: November 19, 2011, 10:15:15 AM »

Lotsa nice posters on this page, but this is the real prize.
Congratulations, Wim!

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #88 on: November 19, 2011, 11:05:46 AM »
Albert Kallis is the artist.  Monster Brains has an excellent showcase of his art with an article about him. He also did Invasion of the Saucer Men, The Astounding She Monster, etc.

Thanks for posting the Monster Brains page about Kallis, Mel. 
He was a great talent who produced many of the most memorable sci-fi posters of the 50s.
This is my favorite poster on the page, which also sold last night.
Anybody here win it?

But, I'm not so sure Kallis did this art.
Even though it was a Corman film, the composition doesn't quite look like Kallis.
Additionally, MONSTER BRAINS incorrectly attributed THE GIANT BEHEMOTH to Kallis.
See GSW's comment on the page. He is correct. Joe Smith painted the BEHEMOTH.

Can anyone out there confirm that this is Kallis art?

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #89 on: November 19, 2011, 02:12:47 PM »
Picked up Godzilla vs. The Thing, my first Godzilla non-re-release poster:

Godzilla vs. the Thing (American International, 1964). One Sheet (27" X 41").
Ishiro Honda directs this fourth installment of the ever popular Godzilla series of films. The monster is back to once again, this time taking on Mothra. Akira Takarada, Yuriko Hoshi and Hiroshi Koizumi star. Fabulous Reynold Brown artwork of Godzilla wreaking havoc on the armies of the world.

« Last Edit: November 19, 2011, 02:15:18 PM by Dread_Pirate_Mel »

Offline ATLfun

• Hoarder
« Reply #90 on: November 19, 2011, 04:21:23 PM »

Nice one, Mel.  Godzilla is a slippery slope like SW or James Bond.  I thought about having a wall of Godzilla stuff.  But hell, I thought about having a wall of just about everything.   ;D

Brian

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #91 on: November 19, 2011, 05:07:50 PM »
Well, the Godzilla collection will have to wait until next year. The budget for the rest of year is looking scary. I've gotta pay for a vacation in England, traveling home for Thanksgiving, Christmas presents, dating, and unexpected expensive car repairs.  I'm like the Titanic with four compartments flooded!

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #92 on: November 19, 2011, 06:42:15 PM »
Nice work on the Karloff Wim!
Chris

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #93 on: November 19, 2011, 10:36:29 PM »
I won a number of items, but I'll show you these 2 for my Gambling and Raymond Chandler collections
the Dahlia was an incredible bargain

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #94 on: November 19, 2011, 11:00:22 PM »
Rich, the Dahlia is a stunner!   :o  Very nice.
Chris

• Post-aholic
« Reply #95 on: November 19, 2011, 11:13:29 PM »
Rich, the Dahlia is a stunner!   :o  Very nice.

it was only $750!!!!

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder

-------

Offline Louie D.

• Hoarder
« Reply #96 on: November 20, 2011, 02:11:04 AM »
Sweet shit, kid!

• Post-aholic
« Reply #97 on: November 20, 2011, 03:32:55 AM »
thanks Louie.. Barbary Coast paper is all universally interesting, including re-issue paper

here is an Argentinian 2 sheet I got from Bruce last year. also a great gambling design

-------

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #98 on: November 20, 2011, 07:27:05 AM »
Some notable modern poster (1960-present) sales yesterday:

Star Wars Concert for $6,000:

"Easy Rider" 1972 re-release poster for $1075, well above $400-$800 estimate, the most expensive re-release poster from the modern era?:

Some horny bast@rd collector "scored" this "I Want You" XXX poster for $1015, above $400-$800 estimate:

"Animal House" advance one sheet for $717, good news for me 'cause I bought a copy on Ebay for $100:

Offline CineMasterpieces

• Collector
    • CineMasterpieces Movie Posters
« Reply #99 on: November 20, 2011, 08:20:05 AM »
I wonder why the screen shot for the Star Wars Concert poster has a MAKE OFFER TO OWNER button, while the others do not?

We bought 12 posters for our inventory. Most notably the Rear Window, North by Northwest RR, and Getaway intl one sheets.

and in case you didn't hear.......We have our own CineMasterpieces Signature Superior Awesome Killer Mini Major Auction going on right now on ebay.  ;D