Author Topic: Nov. Heritage Signature Auction  (Read 23644 times)

agentprovocateur

Re: Nov. Heritage Signature Auction
« Reply #25 on: October 26, 2011, 05:58:25 AM »
There are a couple of painterly posters for Hallows prt2 from India (and I think there were 4'x6' versions as well)... this is the one sheet, not sure if it's painted or computer manipulated.

But I do agree with Brude here, Star Wars poster art is in another league, that's not saying in 10-20 years time the Harry Potter generation is not spending serious money on Potter paper.

Have been doing my research on the Azkaban lenticular and found this interesting website and information, sounds similar to what people have been saying...

-

Link: http://pwp.att.net/p/s/community.dll?ep=16&ext=1&groupid=218855&ck=

"Harry Potter And The Prisoner Of Azkaban"
This is without a doubt the rarest poster I own. It is a lenticular teaser poster, as you move around the poster Sirius Black disappears from your view leaving an empty space (you can tell his shoulder and arm have started to disappear in the image). The thing that makes this poster so very rare is that only 6 were made. That's right, only 6 are in the entire world.

November of 2003, Warner Brothers was about to release their teaser posters for "Harry Potter And The Prisoner Of Azkaban". Curiously, rather than releasing the expected Teaser posters instead they sent out a cardboard standee to be displayed in movie theater lobbies right before Thanksgiving. This standee was in the form of a lamp pole and on the lamp pole was a Wanted sign. This Wanted sign was made of cardboard and in the middle of the cardboard was a small lenticular card of Sirius Black. When you walked by, Sirius disappeared from sight. The full cardboard sign measured at 17 x 26 inches, while the removable lenticular card measured at 14 x 19 inches. After several months of waiting for a teaser poster of this movie to be released, around March of 2004 we were instead treated to the Final poster with the 3 kid's faces on it. Why didn't Warner's go ahead and release a full sized teaser poster for this movie? The other two Harry Potter movies had teaser posters. The gentleman, whom I purchased this from, gives us the story why:

"We had been given the go ahead to test run a full size lenticular poster for the third Harry Potter film, but right as they we going to press, WB canceled the order. We had to halt press in the middle of the job. Since lenticulation is a multi-step process, none of the run was completed, and they were all ordered to be destroyed; however, a few of us who run the actual machinery decided to finish the process on a few posters to use as samples for our other clients to see, so that they would have a reference piece to be able to judge whether lenticulation was suitable for their advertising or marketing needs. There are only six of these in the world. Nobody at Warner Bros. got one because they canceled the run. They changed some text info at the bottom of a similar image and opted for the mini 5x7 versions, which are much cheaper to produce. The holographic ones in the standees are foil printed and relatively cheap to manufacture. Just to give you an idea of why Warner probably opted to not use a full size poster, I can tell you that developing a template for the motion on this poster cost them over ten thousand dollars. That's before a single poster was ever printed to plastic. If they had ordered a run of 2000, it would have had an additional cost of $100 each. The cost of producing a smaller run is almost exponentially more expensive, because it ties up the machinery preventing other work from being done. Warner knew that the same amount of people would turn out for the next Harry Potter film regardless of what poster was used, so there was no need to incur gigantic costs on special posters. So essentially, the poster you have, cost over $10,000 to produce, in marketing and developing fees. I was not joking when I stated that this was the single rarest Harry Potter collectible. J.K. Rowling doesn't even own one."

-

I think I'm going to have to back out of my comment 'I think I may have a stab at this poster', the phrase out-of-my-league springs to mind ;D

agentprovocateur

« Reply #26 on: October 26, 2011, 06:57:41 AM »
On my research travels I also came across an auction on the bay for the original Azkaban standee, unfortunately the lamp post doesn't include the lenticular as they never received it! Interesting images of this lenticular version tho...

Offline archie leach

• Hoarder
« Reply #27 on: October 26, 2011, 09:01:35 AM »

Have been doing my research on the Azkaban lenticular and found this interesting website and information, sounds similar to what people have been saying...

There is a reason for that.  Hargon was the original source of all of this information to MPT. 

I believe that he had two and sold his extra copy (to Randy?).  Another copy was sold on MPT for $800 to the first person who replied.  This was rather annoying because he then flipped in on eBay a few months later for something like $1,300.  Another copy was auctioned off at the SDCC for not a whole lot (under $1000).  Considering location and such, I would not be surprised, at all, if the SDCC copy was the one that ACME sold a while back on eBay...

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #28 on: October 26, 2011, 09:59:25 AM »
  Internet bidding begins on 10/27 for the Heritage November Signature auction.  They have about 1500 posters listed right now, so I would think the field is set. 

if money was no object, which poster would you take home, even if you were bidding against Nicolas Cage?

I just gave it a once over. WOW. Lots of great stuff. Most of it out of my price range but it should be entertaining to watch  pcorn and who knows I might even find one or two to bid on.  8)

To that question. Hard to pick just one. I like Charlie's To Catch a Thief choice. The Bond quads are very cool. I have always wanted an Italian 2F or 4F for the TGBU or a Rear Window one sheet or even this Its a Wonderful Life one sheet. I could go on and on but I will stop now.  :P

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #29 on: October 28, 2011, 07:04:06 PM »
I still owe $$$ from the last ^&*#^& Sig Auction, so hopefully I can stay clear this time.  I do like these though:

House of Dracula:

Sullivan's Travels 3S (ummm can someone please clone Veronica Lake?):

International OS for The Getaway:

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #30 on: October 28, 2011, 07:08:07 PM »

(ummm can someone please clone Veronica Lake?):

Hey wasnt that the idea in LA Confidential?

I do know what you mean though.

Offline ATLfun

• Hoarder
« Reply #31 on: October 28, 2011, 10:46:28 PM »

Internet bidding has officially begun,

Let the games begin...................     ;D

Brian
   "Please step away from the keyboard.  In my unsolicited opinion, you paid too much for your poster," said APF Price Police Officer Thierry.  

Offline ATLfun

• Hoarder
« Reply #32 on: October 28, 2011, 11:32:01 PM »

Holy Shit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  That HP lenticular has an opening bid of 2500, and estimated value of 5-10K.  Okay, Holiday that puppy is all yours.  My wife would go ape shit if I spent that kind of money on any poster, let alone a Harry Potter.   Well, I now think that is the ugliest poster I have ever seen, and would not pay 100 for it.   ;D              I guess Harry was right about the price, Dale.

Brian

« Last Edit: October 28, 2011, 11:38:47 PM by ATLfun »
   "Please step away from the keyboard.  In my unsolicited opinion, you paid too much for your poster," said APF Price Police Officer Thierry.  

agentprovocateur

« Reply #33 on: October 30, 2011, 11:30:04 AM »
$2.5k starting bid, ouch, I'll crawl back in my cheap skate hole! I wonder if HA have ever got their opening bids wrong and no one bids?

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #34 on: October 30, 2011, 01:01:48 PM »
$2.5k starting bid, ouch, I'll crawl back in my cheap skate hole! I wonder if HA have ever got their opening bids wrong and no one bids?

All the time, but I have a feeling that this won't be one of those times :-)

Offline 110x75

• Hoarder
« Reply #35 on: October 30, 2011, 11:07:33 PM »
Without a doubt I would go for this one:

Matias
http://110x75.blogspot.com.ar/

IG: @cinepapelarchivo

Offline ATLfun

• Hoarder
« Reply #36 on: November 02, 2011, 12:41:06 PM »

In the end, I guess it doesn't matter, but I am not a big fan of early action on posters I set my sites on.  I am tracking 15 posters, and 12 already have bids.  And one is already at the pre-estimate price.  >:(

Brian

Offline ATLfun

• Hoarder
« Reply #37 on: November 05, 2011, 02:46:22 PM »

My catalog came in today.  That is the coolest part of the auction in my opinion.  Reminds me of the old Sears Wish Book.  My wife flipped through it earlier today.  She liked the Shirley Temple posters and surprisingly the Forbidden Planet 1/2 sheet.  If I had to choose that would be easy, though I must admit the Heidi poster does offer some nice artistry.

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #38 on: November 07, 2011, 07:57:45 PM »
I like this one 'cause it reminds of some of the knuckleheads on this board  ;D

« Last Edit: November 07, 2011, 07:57:55 PM by Dread_Pirate_Mel »

Offline lynaron

• Collector
« Reply #39 on: November 08, 2011, 10:37:51 AM »
Woob, woob, woob, nyuk, nyuk.
I'll raise a glass to the illusion but drink to the reality.

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #40 on: November 09, 2011, 01:12:36 PM »
Got my catalog and I am suitably impressed.
In fact, 10 pages into the color and I had to put on my lobster bib to preserve the book from my drool.
Lotsa great pieces, with this window card being one of my new favorites:

agentprovocateur

« Reply #41 on: November 09, 2011, 01:42:10 PM »
That's stunning Brude, hadn't noticed it before, are you going for it!?

ps how did the elephants trunk get into the undressing Lana thread... Freudian me thinks!!!! ;)

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #42 on: November 09, 2011, 01:51:31 PM »
Ted.. if you like the Tarzan WC, you're sure to like this Hal Foster art from 1934

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #43 on: November 09, 2011, 04:07:40 PM »
Got my catalog and I am suitably impressed.
In fact, 10 pages into the color and I had to put on my lobster bib to preserve the book from my drool.

Got mine yesterday.

WOW WOW WOW

Very impressive it is.

I am enjoying the hell out of movie paper without the budget. I can imagine how incredible the experience is when you have cash to burn.

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #44 on: November 09, 2011, 07:56:01 PM »
This catalog is a BRICK:

I'd feel guilty if I didn't bid in the auction.

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #45 on: November 09, 2011, 09:30:34 PM »
This catalog is a BRICK:

I'd feel guilty if I didn't bid in the auction.

I've spent so much money in their signature auctions that I *never* feel guilty during the auctions that I sit on the sidelines.  Sadly, this will be one of those times...  There are obviously plenty of awesome posters, but nothing I'm ready to shell out for at full market value  ;)
« Last Edit: November 09, 2011, 09:31:27 PM by Harry Caul »

Charlie

« Reply #46 on: November 09, 2011, 11:29:18 PM »
My first HA catalog.  Wow first class! 

Offline ATLfun

• Hoarder
« Reply #47 on: November 10, 2011, 11:58:05 PM »

Only a week left before the actual auction. Yeah!!!!!!!    qip

I am impressed with the pre-bidding on this SW poster.   The next bid will put it over 4100.

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #48 on: November 11, 2011, 06:17:15 AM »
I am impressed with the pre-bidding on this SW poster.   The next bid will put it over 4100.

It's pretty cool.  Heritage says it was "never released to the public or used at the events."  

But the Star Wars Poster Book (page 46) says it "isn't clear" whether it was sold to the public:

The notorious Star Wars Concert Poster has been laden with misconceptions and mystery ever since it was produced in 1978. Common lore has it that this poster was available to purchase for one night only at the Hollywood Bowl premiere of a Star Wars concert series. However, that concert where Zubin Mehta conducted the Los Angeles Philharmonic Orchestra, took place on November 20, 1977, almost a full year before the poster was printed in October 1978. During the run of the tour, a handful of various posters were commissioned to advertise each specific venue. However, when the management of the series changed hands in the spring of 1978, it was deemed appropriate to unify the series under a single key illustration, which was the impetus for this classic artwork art directed by Suzy Rice and illustrated by John Alvin. But it isn't clear that these posters were ever available to the public. Therefore, they are rare and highly desirable.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2011, 06:17:46 AM by Dread_Pirate_Mel »

Offline holiday

• Thierry's Nightmare a/k/a King Slut
  • Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
« Reply #49 on: November 11, 2011, 07:17:01 AM »
There is ZERO chance that I would pay that kind of money for that thing.

Holy Shit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  That HP lenticular has an opening bid of 2500, and estimated value of 5-10K.  Okay, Holiday that puppy is all yours.  My wife would go ape shit if I spent that kind of money on any poster, let alone a Harry Potter.   Well, I now think that is the ugliest poster I have ever seen, and would not pay 100 for it.   ;D              I guess Harry was right about the price, Dale.

Brian

Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery

"What happened to all the people?" Mystified MPF Member, February 20, 2010

"I actually quite like the name Peanut."  Andy Neal on MOPO, April 22, 2010

Thierry:  Type the word APF on MPF and it spells: "Banned due to malicious unsolicited private message ".

Charlie to the guy who lost to EatBrie:  You just got "T-boned"!  Happens to the best of us...  Wait until you get "Holidazed"!

Thierry to Silhouette:  Please tell her it's a tiny part of my collection so she doesn't think I'm a total creep.  Oh wait, no, I am a total creep.