Author Topic: Any Aussie advice on Aust Daybill framing  (Read 11392 times)

Offline Silhouette

• Hoarder
Any Aussie advice on Aust Daybill framing
« on: August 31, 2011, 03:11:16 AM »
I have decided to frame a few of the Daybills I own but I am not sure where to find a stock supplier here in Sydney.

If there are any locals that can recommend and give some tips it would be appreciated. I want to go down the track of buying stock frames rather than getting custom framed by my regular framer which will be far too expensive. I'd buy from overseas if it wasn't for the fact it will be probably too expensive to ship here.

thanks!
David

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
Re: Any Aussie advice on Aust Daybill framing
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2011, 10:44:56 AM »
David,

Try sending a PM to Ves, Ari or Matt - or better yet all three!
Chris

Disheveledamethyst

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2011, 11:09:31 AM »
My only bit of advice is to have your frames matted. From my experience, no two daybills ever measure the same, and being too long or two wide by an eighth of an inch makes your frame useless. So either make your frame custom to the piece, or make the frames a bit bigger with a black matting. I don't know if it's the case with all older paper or just daybills or what, but it's maddening. I have three daybills from the 80s and they're all cut differently.

Offline AdamCarterJones

• Hoarder
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2011, 11:14:30 AM »
You could have pink matting instead of black!  laugh1
Best wishes,
Adam

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2011, 01:49:01 PM »
My only bit of advice is to have your frames matted. From my experience, no two daybills ever measure the same, and being too long or two wide by an eighth of an inch makes your frame useless. So either make your frame custom to the piece, or make the frames a bit bigger with a black matting. I don't know if it's the case with all older paper or just daybills or what, but it's maddening. I have three daybills from the 80s and they're all cut differently.

Yep - BUT you've got to make sure the matting opening is cut right too!
Chris

Offline jayn_j

• Hoarder
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2011, 01:55:59 PM »
Yep - BUT you've got to make sure the matting opening is cut right too!

A lot cheaper to change out a matte.

Matte cutting is a skill that all of us should learn.  Matte cutters are cheap as are matte boards.  You can then use cheaper standard size frames, especially for smaller items.
-Jay-

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2011, 01:57:11 PM »
A lot cheaper to change out a matte.

Matte cutting is a skill that all of us should learn.  Matte cutters are cheap as are matte boards.  You can then use cheaper standard size frames, especially for smaller items.

Acid free matts are not all that cheap but certainly cheaper than UV anti-glare plexi...
Chris

Offline jayn_j

• Hoarder
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2011, 02:08:58 PM »
Acid free matts are not all that cheap but certainly cheaper than UV anti-glare plexi...

I decision each of us has to make on what should be acid-free.  I wonder about the matte board since only the outer 1/8 of an inch or so of the poster is actually touching the board.
-Jay-

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2011, 03:05:43 PM »
I decision each of us has to make on what should be acid-free.  I wonder about the matte board since only the outer 1/8 of an inch or so of the poster is actually touching the board.

Yes, but certainly enough to leave an ugly acid burn rimming the poster over time!
Chris

Offline jayn_j

• Hoarder
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2011, 03:54:59 PM »
Yes, but certainly enough to leave an ugly acid burn rimming the poster over time!

I think that sometimes we get carried away.  All quality matte board is fairly pH neutral, at least all I've seen.  Its not like newsprint or pulp books.  Definitely better than the cheap paper daybills are printed on.

If one was especially worried, they could coat the inside edge of the matte cutout with conservation tape (sticky side toward matte) to protect the poster.  This would cost a heck of a lot less than buying certified acid free poster board where most of it never comes anywhere near the poster itself.
-Jay-

Offline theartofmovieposters

• Collector
    • theartofmovieposters
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2011, 05:05:03 PM »
I'm in Melbourne, so can't help with a framer in Sydney, though the only one I know is Kerry...Ari has more details.  No idea of his pricing though.

I have all mine matted...when I got my frames made up, my framer was nice enough to cut me extra mattes...daybills are generally in two sizes post the long daybills in the 40s (although like everything else there are slight variations, but nothing too dramatic), so if you get extra mattes cut up front, should save you alot of grief later on.

Ves

Offline Silhouette

• Hoarder
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2011, 12:28:10 AM »
I'm in Melbourne, so can't help with a framer in Sydney, though the only one I know is Kerry...Ari has more details.  No idea of his pricing though.

I have all mine matted...when I got my frames made up, my framer was nice enough to cut me extra mattes...daybills are generally in two sizes post the long daybills in the 40s (although like everything else there are slight variations, but nothing too dramatic), so if you get extra mattes cut up front, should save you alot of grief later on.

That's a good idea on the extra Mats - thanks
David