Author Topic: Seriously Bruce, How About a Preview of the Fall Major/Mini........  (Read 29693 times)

Bruce

Re: Seriously Bruce, How About a Preview of the Fall Major/Mini........
« Reply #50 on: August 31, 2011, 09:05:33 AM »
But on the plus side, even though they rarely become super-rich, lawyers are now no longer considered the lowest of the low (that is reserved for career politicians).

Bruce

Offline AdamCarterJones

• Hoarder
« Reply #51 on: August 31, 2011, 09:21:38 AM »
I don't know about that, Bruce.
In my experience, lawyers feck around and lie all the time; just as much as politicians!
Best wishes,
Adam

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #52 on: August 31, 2011, 09:44:53 AM »
Then it doesn't sound like you're a collector at all, sounds to me like you're a dealer who wants the cheapest price to sell later on.  Nothing wrong with that at all.

Honestly, how many posters have you sold Louie? 

Because I've sold a grand total of 6 since I started collecting and probably own 500+ posters.  Now explain to me again how looking for deals and trying to ensure I don't needlessly overpay for posters makes me a dealer?  I would really prefer not to blow my family's money on my hobby, which is why I work so hard sniffing out deals and planning out big purchases.  I sleep well knowing that if something terrible happened, I could send everything to Bruce and I would end up with more or less what I spent, even after taking his consignment fees into account. 

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #53 on: August 31, 2011, 09:46:11 AM »
Wow!  Someone's in love.

Way to dodge Louie...

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #54 on: August 31, 2011, 09:54:13 AM »
But on the plus side, even though they rarely become super-rich, lawyers are now no longer considered the lowest of the low (that is reserved for career politicians).

Bruce

No, "overpaid" federal employees have now become the favorite "whipping boys"

So, I'm a lawyer/federal employee, making me the lowest of the low :)

In 4.5 years of working for the gov, I've won every single case and saved taxpayers many, many times my salary. Where's the love?

P.S. Some feds - particularly mid-level administrative staff - are ridiculously overpaid but not moi!

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #55 on: August 31, 2011, 10:02:23 AM »
Thank you Louie D. and idioteque for understanding my position.

You know, I used to try to "please all the people all the time". Then one day I realized there is no pleasing some people.

Let me give you an example: One fellow bought an expensive poster, and then afterwards, gave me a long excuse about how he couldn't pay for it, but that he surely would pay just as soon as he got back on his feet. As an experiment, I held on to the poster and paid the consignor for it, trusting that person and taking him at his word.

Over a year went by, and then the person asked about the poster. I told him I still had it, and as soon as he paid, he would be unblocked and able to bid again.

That was well over a month ago, and I have heard no more. So much for that experiment!

I now do my best to please as many people as possible (as long as I do nothing wrong) and if that means a few people will be unhappy because I can't give them exactly what they want (for example, I have had people who want me to look through many pressbooks to see if a certain minor actor in those movies is pictured) then I have to live with that, because if I agreed to these kinds of requests, I would surely then get even more from those same people, so the people would still not be happy anyway..

Another example is people who buy items for two weeks (in the U.S.) or four weeks (outside the U.S.) and then I accumulate all the items in a single package and send them. There are some people who get a quote to ship those items, and then they say "I bought one more item" so re-pack it with that and then I'll pay" and then when they get their new quote they say "I just bought one more, so add that in, too" and this can go on and on for weeks.

Or the people who constantly do no pay until I finally have to threaten to block them, and only then do they pay, and then the cycle starts again.

Most of my customers are great people, but the 1% of the ones who cause 99% of the problems are not.

Brian, I don't how many of your purchases you have received so far, but when you do, you will see that none of them were "optimistically graded" and all were packed great, and that you either paid the cost of shipping or less on all of them. That may well not be the case with those you purchased anywhere else.

When the items for our mini/major go online next Tuesday, Thursday and Sunday, you will have one week (for each set of auctions) to decide if any of them are ones you want to bid on, and then two more weeks after they close in which to pay for them (and if there is something that is a special case, and it would take you more time to pay, contact me personally, and I will see what I can offer, which I do so solely on a case by case basis, first reviewing your past buying record).

I hope you find some items you like, and that you are successful in bidding on some or all!

Bruce

Bruce-
I understand your position and I do appreciate all the time you spend on the forum.  You've been in this hobby longer than anyone and its great that you take the time to share that knowledge.  

I see this request as being not much different from my earlier request that you publish an auction schedule with what will be coming down the pike.  Now, from the sound of it it didn't seem like you had customers beating down your door requesting an auction calendar, but if I and a few other people collectively spoke up and helped to make a positive improvement on your website I think that is all the better.  I honestly think previews would be a win-win(-win) for the buyers, for you (and for your consignors).  You may think differently and I respect that.  However, I'm not sure I agree with your reasoning so I want to be sure I'm being clear...

I know you want to do what is best for your consignors, and maybe to accomplish that you shouldn't preview *all* of your mini/major items... especially if they include items that commonly come up in weekly auctions as well.  That said, I don't see how setting up a preview page a few weeks ahead of time with rare posters like the In a Lonely Place French 1-panel and the Grand Illusion Italian you sold a while back would hurt.  You clearly won't be selling items like that outside your mini/majors so it would actually be *better* for your consignors to have those items previewed and promoted early.  And it would be better for buyers as we would get time to plan for those out-of-the-blue purchases.  Hell, I didn't even know that Grand Illusion poster existed before your auction!  Unfortunately I was already tapped out on some other big purchases that month.  You've done limited previews before, so even if we don't get anything more formal than that it would still be great if you could continue to highlight a few of the rare pieces you'll be selling in your m/m.

And by the way, like Brian I didn't quite understand how equating our request for previews to broken promises from dead-beat buyers was really relevant to this discussion.  Yes, I understand you can't please everyone, but that is a different issue entirely and it doesn't feel great when you are on the other end of that comparison.

Anyway, I feel like I've made my point so I'll leave it here unless people have specific questions/comments for me.

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #56 on: August 31, 2011, 01:15:09 PM »

Bruce

I have never considered Lawyers to be the lowest. I have had a few do work for me over time & except for one, they pretty much did what they were paid for and politicians are also not the lowest to me as I understand whatm why and how they do what they do.

the lowest: BANKERS.

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Offline Louie D.

• Hoarder
« Reply #57 on: August 31, 2011, 02:36:39 PM »
Honestly, how many posters have you sold Louie? 

Because I've sold a grand total of 6 since I started collecting and probably own 500+ posters.  Now explain to me again how looking for deals and trying to ensure I don't needlessly overpay for posters makes me a dealer?  I would really prefer not to blow my family's money on my hobby, which is why I work so hard sniffing out deals and planning out big purchases.  I sleep well knowing that if something terrible happened, I could send everything to Bruce and I would end up with more or less what I spent, even after taking his consignment fees into account. 

I guess you missed the part where I wrote Nothing wrong with that at all.

It appears you can call people just about anything on this forum, just don't use the term "poster dealer".  Jeesh!

• Post-aholic
« Reply #58 on: August 31, 2011, 02:49:02 PM »
by the way Bruce.. I completely understand why you don't have your gallery up in advance. It's 6 of one, half a dozen of the other.
My situation is different because for the most part, I sell my own stuff whereas you sell for the most part for consignors. It's a different dynamic

but that said, I would like to see your galleries asap before auction if possible, just like anyone else.

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder

-------

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #59 on: August 31, 2011, 03:00:37 PM »
I guess you missed the part where I wrote Nothing wrong with that at all.

It appears you can call people just about anything on this forum, just don't use the term "poster dealer".  Jeesh!

Way to dodge again Louie.  Not surprisingly, you didn't answer my questions.  

1. How many posters have you sold?

2. Why should I be considered a dealer for A) having sold ~1% of my collection and B) that I plan out my big purchases when I know I'll have to pay FMV?

I don't think there is anything wrong with being a dealer either, I would just like to know why you called me one.  Adding the old Seinfeld line (not that there is anything wrong with that) to the end of sentence doesn't absolve you what you said.  It reminds of a saying I've learned in the south... "I'm just saying".  Basically, people think you get to insult someone to their face (Boy Louie, did you look in the mirror before you left the house today!?), but get a free pass by adding a few words at the end (but I'm just saying is all).  Its a classy move for sure  eyeroll
« Last Edit: August 31, 2011, 03:01:28 PM by Harry Caul »

Offline Louie D.

• Hoarder
« Reply #60 on: August 31, 2011, 03:08:00 PM »
Way to dodge again Louie.  Not surprisingly, you didn't answer my questions.  

1. How many posters have you sold?

2. Why should I be considered a dealer for A) having sold ~1% of my collection and B) that I plan out my big purchases when I know I'll have to pay FMV?

I don't think there is anything wrong with being a dealer either, I would just like to know why you called me one.  Adding the old Seinfeld line (not that there is anything wrong with that) to the end of sentence doesn't absolve you what you said.  It reminds of a saying I've learned in the south... "I'm just saying".  Basically, people think you get to insult someone to their face (Boy Louie, did you look in the mirror before you left the house today!?), but get a free pass by adding a few words at the end (but I'm just saying is all).  Its a classy move for sure  eyeroll

1. I've sold over 45,000 posters, mostly reproductions to unsuspecting Universal Horror collectors.

2. You're considered a dealer 'cause I said so.

And thank you for confirming that "poster dealer" is a bad term in the hobby.

• Post-aholic
« Reply #61 on: August 31, 2011, 03:24:56 PM »

-------

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #62 on: August 31, 2011, 04:43:41 PM »

I believe you took care of that with your Seinfeld comment.  Way to dodge yet again.

Bruce

« Reply #63 on: August 31, 2011, 04:58:04 PM »
I can't take this! I will put up some images tonight (but please don't tell me I didn't do enough!).

Bruce

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #64 on: August 31, 2011, 06:05:05 PM »
I can't take this! I will put up some images tonight (but please don't tell me I didn't do enough!).

Bruce

I would survive without them but I must say I am happy to be getting some sneak peeks.  ;D

Offline jayn_j

• Hoarder
« Reply #65 on: August 31, 2011, 06:09:53 PM »
I bet you all snuck into your parents' closet and unwrapped your Christmas presents a week early too  ;)
-Jay-

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #66 on: August 31, 2011, 06:18:15 PM »
I bet you all snuck into your parents' closet and unwrapped your Christmas presents a week early too  ;)

I didn't have to pay for those  ;)

Thanks Bruce... looking forward to it.  Sorry to be such a hard ass.

Bruce

« Reply #67 on: August 31, 2011, 07:02:53 PM »
OK, here's a preview of the British Quads:

http://www.emovieposter.com/unused/quadpreview/

Click on any image to enlarge it.

If you respond positively, I will try to add a new gallery each day until the auctions start!

Bruce

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #68 on: August 31, 2011, 07:05:18 PM »
Positive, positive, positive!!!

I'm not telling which ones I like though!

• Post-aholic
« Reply #69 on: August 31, 2011, 07:16:59 PM »
please note the equation

Bruce Gallery > 0

-------

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #70 on: August 31, 2011, 07:48:23 PM »
Positive, positive, positive!!!

I'm not telling which ones I like though!

+1

I know the Bogie is a slam dunk. Are we starting a Peeping Tom collection?

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #71 on: August 31, 2011, 07:51:15 PM »
+1

I know the Bogie is a slam dunk. Are we starting a Peeping Tom collection?

Mums the word.

Bruce, I'm rearranging finances as we speak  ;)

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #72 on: August 31, 2011, 09:28:02 PM »
Wow...some really nice quads coming up!
Chris

• Post-aholic
« Reply #73 on: August 31, 2011, 09:32:20 PM »
Wow...some really nice quads coming up!

sadly I saw one I want.. it will go for too much $ for me though I think.. of course, we never really know until it happens

-------

Offline holiday

• Thierry's Nightmare a/k/a King Slut
  • Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
« Reply #74 on: August 31, 2011, 09:33:12 PM »
That's really unfortunate for those like me that would have followed through.  You did a cool thing, and you got it handed back to you in bad way. What a putz.

Thank you Louie D. and idioteque for understanding my position.

You know, I used to try to "please all the people all the time". Then one day I realized there is no pleasing some people.

Let me give you an example: One fellow bought an expensive poster, and then afterwards, gave me a long excuse about how he couldn't pay for it, but that he surely would pay just as soon as he got back on his feet. As an experiment, I held on to the poster and paid the consignor for it, trusting that person and taking him at his word.

Over a year went by, and then the person asked about the poster. I told him I still had it, and as soon as he paid, he would be unblocked and able to bid again.

That was well over a month ago, and I have heard no more. So much for that experiment!

Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery

"What happened to all the people?" Mystified MPF Member, February 20, 2010

"I actually quite like the name Peanut."  Andy Neal on MOPO, April 22, 2010

Thierry:  Type the word APF on MPF and it spells: "Banned due to malicious unsolicited private message ".

Charlie to the guy who lost to EatBrie:  You just got "T-boned"!  Happens to the best of us...  Wait until you get "Holidazed"!

Thierry to Silhouette:  Please tell her it's a tiny part of my collection so she doesn't think I'm a total creep.  Oh wait, no, I am a total creep.