Author Topic: Seriously Bruce, How About a Preview of the Fall Major/Mini........  (Read 29699 times)

Offline ATLfun

• Hoarder
Re: Seriously Bruce, How About a Preview of the Fall Major/Mini........
« Reply #25 on: August 30, 2011, 09:47:44 PM »
I understood his comment pretty clearly - it's about opportunity cost.
If he spends money with Cinemasterpieces he might not be able to afford something in an upcoming auction (yours or someone else's).
If he had a preview of upcoming auctions to help him choose he could better make a decision on where to spend his money.
More perfect information = better choices instead of missed opportunity.
Bird in hand (CM Star Wars poster) > maybe/possibly Bruce will list something I want to bid on at some undetermined date in the future.

Bingo!!!  Just said with bigger words.   :D

Brian
   "Please step away from the keyboard.  In my unsolicited opinion, you paid too much for your poster," said APF Price Police Officer Thierry.  

Bruce

« Reply #26 on: August 30, 2011, 10:02:17 PM »
You both don't get me. I mean you only have 7 days on Dave's auctions, and you did not ask him for a preview gallery. Why me and not him?

Bruce

Offline Ari

• Curator
    • OFFALEATERS HOUSE OF THE DAMNED
« Reply #27 on: August 30, 2011, 10:06:07 PM »
maybe he has a crush ;) ?
An Error Has Occurred!
You can't report your own post to the moderator, that doesn't make sense!

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #28 on: August 30, 2011, 10:23:39 PM »
nobody had to ask me.. I wanted to do it..
Bad
 bed1

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #29 on: August 30, 2011, 10:27:29 PM »
You both don't get me. I mean you only have 7 days on Dave's auctions, and you did not ask him for a preview gallery. Why me and not him?

Bruce

Bruce, I think you are taking this all the wrong way.  No one here is attacking you.  I see a preview gallery as a win-win... we get more time to plan/budget and you get more money from us after we've fixated on these posters for a longer time.  I know it will take time to build out the capability, I just think it would be a worthwhile endeavor for you and its clearly in demand... otherwise people wouldn't be posting here about it.

I hear this all the time. Some people have said for 6 times at a row that there were things in our mini/major that they would have been able to buy had they had "time to prepare".

If you hear this all the time from your customers... maybe its worth acting on?

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #30 on: August 30, 2011, 10:31:40 PM »
nobody had to ask me.. I wanted to do it..
Bad
 bed1

Thanks Rich.  I think its just good business...

• Post-aholic
« Reply #31 on: August 30, 2011, 10:35:00 PM »
Thanks Rich.  I think its just good business...

bed1

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder

-------

Bruce

« Reply #32 on: August 30, 2011, 10:45:31 PM »
I sell SO much more than anyone else. I have to consider the interests of those who have items on auction in our current three weekly auctions.

If I had a preview on for one week, it might hurt the results of those three auctions, and still there would be those who say, "Only ONE week? Why not a month?" And then 12 regular auctions might have diminished results.

My number one concern (after running 100% honest auctions!) is to look out for my consignors' best interest, and a preview gallery might be in some consignors' best interests, but it would not be in ALL my consignors' best interests.

Unlike the others, who buy most of the items they auction (and therefore they have few or no consignors to look out for) I have all consignments, so I must consider their interests first (as long as I don't do anything wrong to get them more money, like cheat left bids, as happens regularly in other auctions).

I added a lot of excellent non-U.S. posters tonight (800 in all). How about you guys take a look at those? And Thursday I will add 777 unusual non-movie posters, and Sunday I will add around 500 27x40s and 27x41s including lots of popular titles. Maybe those will keep you busy until next Tuesday when I add Part I of the minimajor (and of course you will likely then want to know immediately what is in Part II and III without waiting a few more days!).

I am doing the best I can to be fair to every buyer and consignor. One of you should try running 2000 auctions in a week (or a month) and you might get a sense of how hard that is to do!

Bruce
« Last Edit: August 31, 2011, 06:28:17 AM by Bruce »

Offline Louie D.

• Hoarder
« Reply #33 on: August 30, 2011, 10:53:03 PM »
Bruce,
  I don't think you REALLY have to explain yourself.  The people who preview are cool, the people who don't are cool.  You've done it in the past and personally I like it, kinda gets me excited for the actual auction, but it really doesn't drive whether or not I'm going to bid.  I check all of the auctions that you, Rich, and Heritage run all the time and I suspect that everyone else here does too.  If they want something when you start the auctions, they will bid.  That "save up money/plan my purchases" is just BS. 

• Post-aholic
« Reply #34 on: August 30, 2011, 10:55:40 PM »
One of you should try running 2000 auctions in a week (or a month) and you might get a sense of how hard that is to do!

Bruce

I do 1200 or more.. It's tough!!
But I do it, well face it.. because I love all of you. I want to make sure you're all happy.
so what if I spend every waking hour or every day slaving over this hot stove.. I know in the end, I'm doing it for a good cause bringing up my poster family
« Last Edit: August 30, 2011, 10:56:20 PM by MoviePosterBid.com »

-------

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #35 on: August 30, 2011, 11:12:44 PM »
That "save up money/plan my purchases" is just BS. 

For you maybe. 

On the rare occasion when I think I can get something for a deal, I'll bid "big" on short notice -- i.e. my $1K bid for a BAT 1-sheet, which I ended up winning for $305.  However, "big" is usually relative as I know I can get it back and then some when I sell/trade-up. 

However, I definitely plan out my big purchases when I know I'll be paying fair market value (HA, eMovie, MPB, etc...).  I'd be a careless collector if I didn't.

Offline Louie D.

• Hoarder
« Reply #36 on: August 30, 2011, 11:40:10 PM »
However, I definitely plan out my big purchases when I know I'll be paying fair market value (HA, eMovie, MPB, etc...).  I'd be a careless collector if I didn't.

Then it doesn't sound like you're a collector at all, sounds to me like you're a dealer who wants the cheapest price to sell later on.  Nothing wrong with that at all.

Online 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #37 on: August 31, 2011, 12:16:55 AM »
At emovieposter, no previews I guess is fair to all consigners as they perceive that is equality, but it is not equality as I suspect the lower end stuff in the weekly auctions gets higher bids than warranted and the mini major items get lower bids because people spent early and cant afford the mini majors because of lack of planning... Would I pass on a poster in a weekly auction I sort of like in the hope that a spectacular one might be in the next major that I would rather have spent my $ on... no, me, I'll buy the weekly one... a bird in the hand... so when the big day comes, i dont have the dough.

Maybe I am different, but I dont necessarily always find something in the major I like, so i dont save for it. A preview would help me plan for it. In the meantime, if i find a great $$$ poster elsewhere, I buy it, again a bird in the hand...

Offline ATLfun

• Hoarder
« Reply #38 on: August 31, 2011, 12:29:39 AM »
Then it doesn't sound like you're a collector at all, sounds to me like you're a dealer who wants the cheapest price to sell later on.  Nothing wrong with that at all.

Really???  Thierry prides himself on buying posters at a price he considers to be an appropriate low price.  Would you accuse him of not being a collector? While Holiday has been accused of overpaying just to get whatever he wants.  Does that make him more of a collector?

Harry said that he plans out bigger purchases when he knows that he will be paying fair market price.  What is wrong with that?  I sort of want a key poster already listed in the November Signature. I know it runs around 4k, I know that it will not go for 3K and could go for 5k.  

I have already spent 1.5K this month on poster splurges and most of that with Bruce.  So does that make me more of a collector than methodically planning purchases over the next couple of months?

Brian
« Last Edit: August 31, 2011, 12:35:28 AM by ATLfun »
   "Please step away from the keyboard.  In my unsolicited opinion, you paid too much for your poster," said APF Price Police Officer Thierry.  

Offline kovacs01

• Global Moderator
  • Hoarder
    • My Poster Gallery
« Reply #39 on: August 31, 2011, 03:52:22 AM »
Then it doesn't sound like you're a collector at all, sounds to me like you're a dealer who wants the cheapest price to sell later on.  Nothing wrong with that at all.

It is not about getting the cheapest price to sell later on.  It is about getting the cheapest price you can afford the next item and the next. Not giving a damn about how much an item costs is not what makes someone a collector (ie. non-dealer).  It makes them a fool.
Schan
Thanks.  You know what you did.
My Poster Gallery

• Post-aholic
« Reply #40 on: August 31, 2011, 05:13:55 AM »
It is not about getting the cheapest price to sell later on.  It is about getting the cheapest price you can afford the next item and the next. Not giving a damn about how much an item costs is not what makes someone a collector (ie. non-dealer).  It makes them a fool.

it's all relative Kovacs.. Let's say a guy is looking for a Jaws poster and he knows Dave who has a poster listed at $925, but if he waits and spends time on ebay he can find one after a while for $300. In an ordinary situation, it is wise for him to wait.
However, what if he's Warren Buffett, or what if he's an attorney who bills out at $750 an hour. Is it still cost effective for this person to spend his time cruising ebay or just call Dave and spend 10 minutes to buy the poster?

-------

Offline idioteque

• Hobbyist
« Reply #41 on: August 31, 2011, 05:29:58 AM »
Fair enough really.

I sell SO much more than anyone else. I have to consider the interests of those who have items on auction in our current three weekly auctions.

If I had a preview on for one week, it might hurt the results of those three auctions, and still there would be those who say, "Only ONE week? Why not a month? And then 12 regular auctions might have diminished results."

My number one concern (after running 100% honest auctions!) is to look out for my consignors' best interest, and a preview gallery might be in some consignors' best interests, but it would not be in ALL my consignors' best interests.

Unlike the others, who buy most of the items they auction (and therefore they have few or no consignors to look out for) I have all consignments, so I must consider their interests first (as long as I don't do anything wrong to get them more money, like cheat left bids, as happens regularly in other auctions).

I added a lot of excellent non-U.S. posters tonight (800 in all). How about you guys take a look at those? And Thursday I will add 777 unusual non-movie posters, and Sunday I will add around 500 27x40s and 27x41s including lots of popular titles. Maybe those will keep you busy until next Tuesday when I add Part I of the minimajor (and of course you will likely then want to know immediately what is in Part II and III without waiting a few more days!).

I am doing the best I can to be fair to every buyer and consignor. One of you should try running 2000 auctions in a week (or a month) and you might get a sense of how hard that is to do!

Bruce

Bruce

« Reply #42 on: August 31, 2011, 06:52:12 AM »
Thank you Louie D. and idioteque for understanding my position.

You know, I used to try to "please all the people all the time". Then one day I realized there is no pleasing some people.

Let me give you an example: One fellow bought an expensive poster, and then afterwards, gave me a long excuse about how he couldn't pay for it, but that he surely would pay just as soon as he got back on his feet. As an experiment, I held on to the poster and paid the consignor for it, trusting that person and taking him at his word.

Over a year went by, and then the person asked about the poster. I told him I still had it, and as soon as he paid, he would be unblocked and able to bid again.

That was well over a month ago, and I have heard no more. So much for that experiment!

I now do my best to please as many people as possible (as long as I do nothing wrong) and if that means a few people will be unhappy because I can't give them exactly what they want (for example, I have had people who want me to look through many pressbooks to see if a certain minor actor in those movies is pictured) then I have to live with that, because if I agreed to these kinds of requests, I would surely then get even more from those same people, so the people would still not be happy anyway..

Another example is people who buy items for two weeks (in the U.S.) or four weeks (outside the U.S.) and then I accumulate all the items in a single package and send them. There are some people who get a quote to ship those items, and then they say "I bought one more item" so re-pack it with that and then I'll pay" and then when they get their new quote they say "I just bought one more, so add that in, too" and this can go on and on for weeks.

Or the people who constantly do no pay until I finally have to threaten to block them, and only then do they pay, and then the cycle starts again.

Most of my customers are great people, but the 1% of the ones who cause 99% of the problems are not.

Brian, I don't how many of your purchases you have received so far, but when you do, you will see that none of them were "optimistically graded" and all were packed great, and that you either paid the cost of shipping or less on all of them. That may well not be the case with those you purchased anywhere else.

When the items for our mini/major go online next Tuesday, Thursday and Sunday, you will have one week (for each set of auctions) to decide if any of them are ones you want to bid on, and then two more weeks after they close in which to pay for them (and if there is something that is a special case, and it would take you more time to pay, contact me personally, and I will see what I can offer, which I do so solely on a case by case basis, first reviewing your past buying record).

I hope you find some items you like, and that you are successful in bidding on some or all!

Bruce

Offline jayn_j

• Hoarder
« Reply #43 on: August 31, 2011, 07:45:22 AM »

You know, I used to try to "please all the people all the time". Then one day I realized there is no pleasing some people.

Or as I say in another forum, if you somehow managed to cause it to rain dollar bills, some members would blast you for littering.

I've stayed out of this one.  You have the product, you set the rules.  As long as they are evenly applied (and they are), I've got no beef.
-Jay-

Offline Louie D.

• Hoarder
« Reply #44 on: August 31, 2011, 07:57:54 AM »
Really???  Thierry prides himself on buying posters at a price he considers to be an appropriate low price.  Would you accuse him of not being a collector? While Holiday has been accused of overpaying just to get whatever he wants.  Does that make him more of a collector?

Harry said that he plans out bigger purchases when he knows that he will be paying fair market price.  What is wrong with that?  I sort of want a key poster already listed in the November Signature. I know it runs around 4k, I know that it will not go for 3K and could go for 5k.  

I have already spent 1.5K this month on poster splurges and most of that with Bruce.  So does that make me more of a collector than methodically planning purchases over the next couple of months?

Brian

Wow!  Someone's in love.

Offline ATLfun

• Hoarder
« Reply #45 on: August 31, 2011, 07:58:31 AM »

Most of my customers are great people, but the 1% of the ones who cause 99% of the problems are not.

Bruce

I don't recall having done anything to be dismissed as a "problem customer."  As Harry pointed out earlier Bruce, you in your own words admitted that people ask you "all the time" about a preview.  And at least half the posters on this thread have supported the idea of a preview.

So I guess that makes us all "problem customers."

Brian

« Last Edit: August 31, 2011, 08:00:10 AM by ATLfun »

Bruce

« Reply #46 on: August 31, 2011, 08:06:41 AM »
Brian, please read closer! I was talking about problem customers, and I in no way implied that you (or Harry) are or ever were problem customers!

When I said I am asked all the time for previews, it is by the same tiny handful of people. I have to weigh up the big picture of my overall business. and do what I think best for everyone overall, as I explained.

You, Harry, and anyone else has the right to make suggestions or criticisms, and it is why I actively participate on these boards (unlike others, who solely post to offer items for sale or auction). I like to help others when I can, and I like to hear feedback from others. But please be understanding if I can't do exactly as you prefer. I do care about every customer, but I do have 30,000+ customers and 800+ consignors, and there are many areas where I could never please everyone.

You are a valued customer, Brian, as is Harry, and anyone else who bids and pays for their items. I believe you are treated better in our auctions than in any other auctions and I think you will find that to be the case once you have had time to compare our business to the rest.

Bruce

Offline AdamCarterJones

• Hoarder
« Reply #47 on: August 31, 2011, 08:14:01 AM »
I think everyone should just let Bruce get on with what he is doing.
I would like a preview like that which is being talked about, but I know this is very difficult for Bruce to implement, and so I understand his reasons for not doing so.
Best wishes,
Adam

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #48 on: August 31, 2011, 08:52:13 AM »
However, what if he's Warren Buffett, or what if he's an attorney who bills out at $750 an hour. Is it still cost effective for this person to spend his time cruising ebay or just call Dave and spend 10 minutes to buy the poster?

So true. I remember reading an article about one of the Google founders several years ago, when they were only (!) worth a billion or so each. (Now they're worth $15 billion.)  He was asked whether and why he paid for first class tickets when he traveled.  He replied "yes, the additional cost is irrelevant to me."

BTW you cannot get super-rich being a lawyer who bills by the hour.  Yeah, those guys make can make a multimillion salary.  The only way to get super-rich is to be a plaintiff class-action lawyer who hits the jackpot, like the lawyers who won the cigarette cases a few years back.

Offline AdamCarterJones

• Hoarder
« Reply #49 on: August 31, 2011, 09:04:45 AM »
BTW you cannot get super-rich being a lawyer who bills by the hour.  Yeah, those guys make can make a multimillion salary.  The only way to get super-rich is to be a plaintiff class-action lawyer who hits the jackpot, like the lawyers who won the cigarette cases a few years back.

Or run your own super-firm!
Best wishes,
Adam