Author Topic: Seriously Bruce, How About a Preview of the Fall Major/Mini........  (Read 29688 times)

Offline ATLfun

• Hoarder

Okay Bruce, spill some beans about key items.  Can you at least give us a snapshot of 10 to watch out for or maybe 10 items rarely seen?
I know you have eschewed forum calls for a preview period similar to Heritage.  Which is cool, I am sure there is a business reason behind it like trying not to devalue current auctions.

But with CM having some nice no reserve auctions going on, and Heritage is up to 7 pages of preview for the November Signature auction, please give me a reason to keep my Benjamins in my wallet for the big emovie Fall Major/Mini.

I know that curiosity killed the cat, but satisfaction brought it back.   ;D

Brian
   "Please step away from the keyboard.  In my unsolicited opinion, you paid too much for your poster," said APF Price Police Officer Thierry.  

Offline jayn_j

• Hoarder
Re: Seriously Bruce, How About a Preview of the Fall Major/Mini........
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2011, 06:35:28 PM »
Why should you care, Brian?  You're on hiatus  ;D
-Jay-

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2011, 06:36:43 PM »

laugh1

Wait. Arent we all?  ;D

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2011, 07:42:24 PM »
  Okay Bruce, spill some beans about key items.  Can you at least give us a snapshot of 10 to watch out for or maybe 10 items rarely seen?
I know you have eschewed forum calls for a preview period similar to Heritage.  Which is cool, I am sure there is a business reason behind it like trying not to devalue current auctions.

But with CM having some nice no reserve auctions going on, and Heritage is up to 7 pages of preview for the November Signature auction, please give me a reason to keep my Benjamins in my wallet for the big emovie Fall Major/Mini.

I know that curiosity killed the cat, but satisfaction brought it back.   ;D

Brian

I've been pushing for Bruce to this for a while now.... Thanks for bringing it up again Brian!

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2011, 08:46:56 PM »

:D
Chris

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2011, 08:59:37 PM »

I think they've got different business models.  It seems that Heritage makes most of its revenue from its quarterly signature auctions, which is why they hype them so much. It focuses almost exclusively on US posters. Emovie sells many more and a greater variety of posters than Heritage and makes its revenue through steady high volume.  Focusing too much on the major auctions would detract from the regular auctions.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2011, 09:11:44 PM by Dread_Pirate_Mel »

Bruce

« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2011, 09:29:29 PM »
I hear this all the time. Some people have said for 6 times at a row that there were things in our mini/major that they would have been able to buy had they had "time to prepare".

At some point, I want those guys to realize that I will almost certainly have those items (or ones like it) in EVERY mini/major, so I am asking them to "go on faith" and start saving up some money sight unseen so they WILL be prepared!

If somehow I disappoint you ONE time, then what is the downside? You can use the money for something else, but what are the odds of that?

Remember too that you can use your credit cards, and that lets you finance the purchase through them.

As to the mini/major, I have been FEVERISHLY working on it, and while you won't find zillion dollar rarities, and likely few if any items you can't afford, you will find tons of quality items of every genre (many in the $100 to $500 range) and I think you will all be quite happy with the selection.

And you'll see the first of it in just a little over a week!

Bruce

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2011, 10:04:35 PM »
hey Bruce.. I need a Big Sleep one sheet.. a raw one

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Bruce

« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2011, 10:07:02 PM »
Can't help you this time, Rich. But there COULD be one or more of the 1,400+ items to interest you, and lots more you will be bidding on as a dealer.

Bruce

Offline ATLfun

• Hoarder
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2011, 10:35:38 PM »

Come on Bruce, how about a top ten favorites or ten super cool, or ten rarely seen, ten favorites of a pirate, or the ten biggest.
Don't make me get Chop Top going on this theme or this thread will never end!!!!!     ;D

Brian

"Please step away from the keyboard.  In my unsolicited opinion, you paid too much for your poster," said APF Price Police Officer Thierry.  

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2011, 12:14:55 AM »
hey Bruce.. I need a Big Sleep one sheet.. a raw one

Don't we all!?
Chris

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2011, 07:58:11 AM »
Bruce, picture this like dating...

I can, of course, find a lot of posters in every auction that I'm attracted to.  However, I need a bit more time than 7 days to figure out if it's going to be "the one".  Having a longer preview period gives me time to really zero on on certain posters and be confident in my purchase decision.  I'm sure most dealers looking for posters can just "do the math" and quickly figure out what they want to bid on and how much they will bid.  I imagine with collectors there is a bit more emotion involved in the process and that takes time to build...

Bruce

« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2011, 08:09:38 AM »
Harry

You are being invited to a dance where you KNOW there will be a lot of hot single babes dying to go home with you. Isn't it worth it to take a good shower, get dressed nicely, put on your best cologne etc, even though you haven't even seen a picture or know the name of the lucky girl who gets to go home with you?

bed1

Bruce

Offline 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2011, 09:22:58 AM »

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2011, 09:43:14 AM »

Since that insert is 36" that dude is tiny :)

Offline 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2011, 09:50:58 AM »
Since that insert is 36" that dude is tiny :)

That's my 3 sheet... well she was mine... before she met twinkle toes Harry...

« Last Edit: August 30, 2011, 10:10:16 AM by 50s »

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2011, 11:05:29 AM »
Bruce, I honestly don't understand your resistance to this idea... in fact you've done it before plenty of times:

http://www.allposterforum.com/index.php/topic,994.0.html
http://www.allposterforum.com/index.php/topic,1997.0.html
http://www.allposterforum.com/index.php/topic,968.0.html
http://www.allposterforum.com/index.php/topic,952.0.html
http://www.allposterforum.com/index.php/topic,1474.0.html

I think all we are asking for here is for you to do this regularly and as early in the listing process as possible.  I've already stated my position before in another thread I started on the same topic.  I'll quote it (editing out the irrelevant bits) and link to again for those who haven't seen it already: http://www.allposterforum.com/index.php/topic,2095.0.html

I REALLY wish you would start offering previews of items in your mini/major auctions.  Many of the posters in your mini/major auctions tend to go for serious cash... cash that can be difficult to arrange with only a weeks notice.  I know you regularly criticize HA for their high BPs and house bids, but one thing they do right is to build excitement around their Sig auctions.  I've bought several posters in their sig auctions that I probably normally wouldn't feel as comfortable bidding on.  They often list their sig items online for 2+ months--basically as they roll in and are photographed.  Then internet bidding is open for several weeks before the live auction.  This has given me plenty of time to really obsess about certain posters!  I also have plenty of time to start the process of setting aside funds or other posters to sell (or tell myself I'll sell Wink) to pay for them.

BELIEVE ME, YOU WANT YOUR BIDDERS TO DO THIS!

I'm glad you started posting a schedule of your upcoming auctions (I think that was at my request as well).  However, the contents of your auctions still tend to catch me off guard.  I realize it isn't feasible to have previews of all your auctions, but this is something you should definitely do for your mini/majors.  It will come as no surprise to most people here to find out that I'm willing to pony up some big bucks if there is a poster I really want... but make no mistake, I'm not an impulse buyer.  With your mini/majors I usually feel caught off guard and under the gun for time.  In those situations I tend to back off as opposed to going all in.

I realize 2-3 week preview periods won't be of use to everyone.  I'm sure some of your buyers have deep enough pockets and can throw around big cash on a week's notice.  However, I don't see a downside to adding them.  It will give you more time to attract both more big buck buyers and small time buyers who need some time to budget for big purchases.

I know you've started posting a single image 'teaser' of some of your items, but it isn't quite good enough.  Your teaser for this mini/major was a bunch of Argentinian posters.  And while they are all quite cool (especially the Kane), Argentinians don't really float my boat so I was all prepared to sit this one out.  I really think a full item-by-item preview would be great for buyers and great for your sales.  Please consider adding them... by your next mini/major if possible!

Thanks for listening to me ramble... if others agree, please let Bruce know!

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2011, 11:43:15 AM »

That gave me a good chuckle Steve!  But I think Bruce is severely mistaken if he thinks "a lot of hot single babes dying to go home with you" is something known to us poster people.  Unless the female collectors experience this hot single babes phenomena differently?  ;)
Chris

Offline ATLfun

• Hoarder
« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2011, 12:55:13 PM »

That one may top Brude's infidel gif which I thought was the funniest response in forum history. 

Brian

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2011, 01:48:23 PM »

That one may top Brude's infidel gif which I thought was the funniest response in forum history. 

Brian

It is pretty kick ass  :)

Offline ATLfun

• Hoarder
« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2011, 02:55:17 PM »

Clearly Bruce is not going to play ball.  Which is okay, it is his company and he owes us no further explanation.

Just from a customer view, I do like to know what is potentially available before I make a purchase.  For example, CineMasterpieces has several   nice no reserve auctions running this week.  If I plunk down money for the SW mylar advance, then I might not purchase anything from emovie's Fall M/M.  We all have a budget to live within, plus Heritage has already done a nice job promoting some key posters that will be available in November.

But I am well aware, that my participation in the Fall M/M is inconsequential in the big picture to emovie.

Brian

Bruce

« Reply #21 on: August 30, 2011, 09:27:02 PM »
Not true Brian. It is very consequential to me what every bidder buys. That is one more thing that separates our auctions from many others.

But one thing I don't get. You had 7 days on Cinemasterpieces' items. How is that different?

Bruce

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #22 on: August 30, 2011, 09:29:01 PM »
I'm totally aware of how much everyone wants to see Preview Galleries of auctions coming up.
I've been trying to get Previews up for several weeks to come all year long, depending on work load of course.

I actually have the gallery already up for the auction that starts tomorrow of Title cards
http://www.movieposterbid.com/supersize/99cent_201/

But I also have the gallery up already for the folowing week as well of scene cards including stuff like Cool hand Luke, Jailhouse Rock, 1930s John Wayne and an original release card for It Happened One Night
http://www.movieposterbid.com/supersize/99cent_202/

by Thursday, I'll have the Preview of the Inserts being sold the following week and it's possible that we may have 2-4 weeks of Previews up regularly

« Last Edit: August 30, 2011, 09:30:18 PM by MoviePosterBid.com »

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Offline crowzilla

• Hoarder
    • Kaiju Poster Database
« Reply #23 on: August 30, 2011, 09:38:54 PM »
But one thing I don't get. You had 7 days on Cinemasterpieces' items. How is that different?
Bruce

I understood his comment pretty clearly - it's about opportunity cost.
If he spends money with Cinemasterpieces he might not be able to afford something in an upcoming auction (yours or someone else's).
If he had a preview of upcoming auctions to help him choose he could better make a decision on where to spend his money.
More perfect information = better choices instead of missed opportunity.
Bird in hand (CM Star Wars poster) > maybe/possibly Bruce will list something I want to bid on at some undetermined date in the future.
The Online Reference to Japanese Sci-Fi Posters:
www.Kaijuposters.com

Offline Louie D.

• Hoarder
« Reply #24 on: August 30, 2011, 09:43:30 PM »
But I also have the gallery up already for the folowing week as well of scene cards including stuff like Cool hand Luke, Jailhouse Rock, 1930s John Wayne and an original release card for It Happened One Night
http://www.movieposterbid.com/supersize/99cent_202/

2nd page and I already see one I need.  DAMN!