Author Topic: Sherlock Holmes  (Read 4940 times)

Dread_Pirate_Mel

Sherlock Holmes
« on: January 16, 2010, 12:09:55 PM »
Great idea Carson.

Anybody like Sherlock Holmes?  I kinda liked it, kinda didn't but I'll probably see it again.  They should have called it "Sherlock 'James Bond' Holmes" with all the action and fighting.   I've read all the stories and novels several times and they're much more cerebral and the action takes place in the background.  They also injected romance into it - and who could resist with Rachel Adams - but Holmes was a pure thinking machine in the books and had no interest in romance. 

Offline kovacs01

• Global Moderator
  • Hoarder
    • My Poster Gallery
Re: Sherlock Holmes
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2010, 01:02:00 AM »
I am with you Mel.  I thought it was well acted and that the director did a great job maintaining a consistent and faithful period atmosphere throughout.  But it was not Sherlock Holmes.  It was a film about a detective using the name of Sherlock Holmes in an attempt to put a few more butts in seats.  If it had been named something else and the characters had different names, I'd probably have called it a good film.  Instead, it was just mediocre to me.
Schan
Thanks.  You know what you did.
My Poster Gallery

Offline supraman079

• Global Moderator
  • Collector
    • Supraman079's Poster Website
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2010, 01:55:43 AM »
To be honest, I thought it was a bit boring at times. Parts of it were kind of cool and parts of it dragged. Bunch of stuff that didn't really fit the Sherlock Holmes character was done as many has mentioned before. In my opinion Guy Ritchie hasn't been the same ever since he got around Madonna. Lock Stock and Snatch were his best movies, but lets be honest about that as well. He really had one good film and got a chance to remake it with a better budget and bigger cast. Sure it's not 100% the same but it is essentially in the same vain. All the other movies he's had since I've been highly disappointed. Although, I do think Sherlock Holmes was the better film out of his recent debacle.

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2010, 01:17:08 PM »
I have'nt seen it yet, but there is no way it can come close to Basil Rathbone, and Nigle Bruce. Not even Saint Peter ( Cushing ) could get close. I watch one almost every week.
It's more than a Hobby...

Offline Ari

• Curator
    • OFFALEATERS HOUSE OF THE DAMNED
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2010, 08:03:33 PM »
well, I really had a ball watching it, AND be aware I read everything Holmes, and am a HUGE fan of A C Doyle, what I decided after about 10 mins ITS NOT REALLY HOLMES.
it isnt
But as a stand alone film it was great fun.
An Error Has Occurred!
You can't report your own post to the moderator, that doesn't make sense!

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2010, 08:44:34 PM »
I agree.  It was a great film and I too really enjoyed it for what it was.
Chris