Author Topic: 2009 Internet Movie Poster (IMP) Awards - Nominees (Winners announced Jan 18)  (Read 16927 times)

Dread_Pirate_Mel

IMP has the 2009 nominees up in the various categories (best poster, best international, funniest, etc.).  Haven't looked through all of them yet.

Thoughts?  

P.S. They've got "Best TV Poster" category this year.

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
I have to say, looking through those nominations reaffirmed my decision to focus on older paper.  Apart from GF Experience, I didn't really see anything that remotely piqued my interest.  F*cking chipmunk character sets!?  Are you kidding me?

By the way, I think I've been pegged as a vintage poster collector, but I also have a pretty extensive collection of 70s, 80s and 90s 1-sheets.  I probably don't post them here as often as I feel like I see that stuff every day on eBay (Terminator, Blade Runner, Alien, Indy, Star Wars, etc...). 

Even in those decades though, at least those posters were still often created by artists and prominent designers.  It was already slipping away in the 80s and got worse in the 90s... but I have to say when I look at 99% of this century's movie posters, I feel like I'm being advertised to.  End of story.  Any emotional response I might feel from the composition or art or characters or colors is usually so calculated by the agency that it ends up feeling fake to me.

Sorry for ranting... 

Offline supraman079

• Global Moderator
  • Collector
    • Supraman079's Poster Website
I have to say when I look at 99% of this century's movie posters, I feel like I'm being advertised to.  End of story.  Any emotional response I might feel from the composition or art or characters or colors is usually so calculated by the agency that it ends up feeling fake to me.

Amen

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
By the way, I should clarify... Because the naughties are usually not my bag, I have no idea how comprehensive or good IMP's list is.  Please, dear god, prove me wrong with some better paper for 2009!

Dread_Pirate_Mel

Well, I disagree with the above comments.  I like a lot of these posters - they're definitely worth perusing, particularly the "international highlights" section.  Here are 10 of my favorites:

P.S. The "I Hate Valentine's Day" is not great visually but the tag line is a classic: "She had him at get lost"

http://www.impawards.com/2009/terminator_salvation_motion.html

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
95% of these are trash and why don't they have any posters from Alice in Wonderland???

what about the online version of the Terminator poster instead of the printed one (it was animated)

but clearly these voters have no "poster taste"

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
Sorry, I don't mean to bash modern posters.  However, I do think this thread could make for a very interesting discussion of what makes a good poster in the modern era (possibly vs. vintage posters/eras).  For instance:

Should the movies be good too, or just the poster?  Clearly there are iconic poster designs from shlock 50s sci-fi and horror movies... so probably not.

What about the medium?  That Forbidden Door poster is admittedly pretty cool and I missed that the first time through.  However, is my positive reaction because I know a human created with a pen/paper?  Why don't I get the same emotional reaction looking at the Terminator poster which was probably created by overlaying some explosions on a satellite image of LA and then running wild with the "clone" tool in Photoshop?

Is a tagline alone enough to make a good poster?  Think about Alien, for instance, which probably had one of the best tag lines ever (in space no one can hear you scream).  Personally I think the design is pretty boring, but I love the poster anyway... This might go back to question one, though.  Maybe it takes a great tagline AND a great movie to make a otherwise blah poster interesting...?

And don't get me started about press blurbs... sure, I chuckled at the French Kissers poster.  That kid's reaction is great... as is the tagline.  But then I just shook my head when I read that I was supposed to consider it a "cult" movie before I even saw it.  I think this all comes back to the advertising bent I see as being so much more prominent in modern posters.  While the French Kissers image is clever, it still feels like advertising first and foremost to me -- Photo of two people kissing, check.  Clever tagline, check.  Alright, sprinkle in some positive reviews and i think we can call this one a wrap. 

I think posters for indy/foreign movies have actually suffered the most in the modern era due to their almost insistence on including blurbs about how great they supposedly are... Would you look at a French Breathless poster the same way if it had press blurbs?  What about Ed's utterly awesome Withnail and I quad... but with a big 4 STARS!!! COMEDY ROAD ROMP OF THE SEASON!!!!! say Peter Travers of Rolling Stones?  Or heck, what about everyone's beloved Pulp Fiction with half the poster being filled with rave reviews?  This is not a new phenomenon by the way... just a more and more prevalent one.

Again, I am genuinely interested in discussing this topic in a civilized manor... I don't assume my tastes are the same as others so I apologize if my comments came off as disrespectful.  I simply collect posters that I'm "moved" by.  I guess I just find it hard to be moved by some more recent posters... specifically because I know there is a committee of people out there that want me to be.

Thoughts?

Dread_Pirate_Mel

I guess I just find it hard to be moved by some more recent posters...

Somebody once said, "If you say everything today sucks and everything good was made 'back in the day', you ain't doing nothin' but showing your age."

It's all good, bro' - I'm a blue man myself, but like the red stuff too....

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
Well, I think I'm definitely pegged wrong on this forum then... I do appreciate vintage posters more, but not for any reasons of nostalgia.  The first movie I saw in the theaters was E.T. when I was 6 years old.  I guess I just have an "old soul"!

P.S. I'm a blue man as well!  My parents were hippies and raised me on a balanced diet of Stones, Beatles, Zeppelin and Dylan...

Offline holiday

• Thierry's Nightmare a/k/a King Slut
  • Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
IMP has the 2009 nominees up in the various categories (best poster, best international, funniest, etc.).  Haven't looked through all of them yet.

Thoughts?  

P.S. They've got "Best TV Poster" category this year.

The Girlfriend Experience should have been on the list, and it should win - it's the best of the year.
Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery

"What happened to all the people?" Mystified MPF Member, February 20, 2010

"I actually quite like the name Peanut."  Andy Neal on MOPO, April 22, 2010

Thierry:  Type the word APF on MPF and it spells: "Banned due to malicious unsolicited private message ".

Charlie to the guy who lost to EatBrie:  You just got "T-boned"!  Happens to the best of us...  Wait until you get "Holidazed"!

Thierry to Silhouette:  Please tell her it's a tiny part of my collection so she doesn't think I'm a total creep.  Oh wait, no, I am a total creep.

Offline holiday

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
Something comes to mind reading these comments, and I trust it's not an original thought.  Today, with the new posters, we see them all as they come out, day in and day out.  But, when we look back to past decades, especially pre-60, what we look at for the most part is the cream that has risen to the top.  But, in those past decades there were just as many shitty, drab, dull, boring, ill-conceived and downright ugly posters as there are now.  So, it's not like the past decades somehow had a lock on all the good art - it's just that over time the real crap has been filtered out leaving the good stuff.   The same thing will happen over the next 30 or 40 years with the present batch of posters.

Photoshop or no photoshop, have a look at Girlfriend Experience if you haven't seen it -- I really do think it's the best of the year.

That Imaginarium poster is really f#$king hot though! 
Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery

Thierry:  Type the word APF on MPF and it spells: "Banned due to malicious unsolicited private message ".

Charlie to the guy who lost to EatBrie:  You just got "T-boned"!  Happens to the best of us...  Wait until you get "Holidazed"!

Thierry to Silhouette:  Please tell her it's a tiny part of my collection so she doesn't think I'm a total creep.  Oh wait, no, I am a total creep.

Offline holiday

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
Holy crap the rest of those nominated are nothing short of horrible, excepting the motion poster for the Tyler Perry movie.  That's pretty cool.
Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery

guest8

Well, I think I'm definitely pegged wrong on this forum then... I do appreciate vintage posters more, but not for any reasons of nostalgia.  The first movie I saw in the theaters was E.T. when I was 6 years old.  I guess I just have an "old soul"!

P.S. I'm a blue man as well!  My parents were hippies and raised me on a balanced diet of Stones, Beatles, Zeppelin and Dylan...

Woah... So your like 33ish ??

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
Woah... So your like 33ish ??
In March.

EDIT: What's with the woah?  Are you surprised how old or how young I am? :)
« Last Edit: January 16, 2010, 12:20:05 PM by Harry Caul »

Dread_Pirate_Mel

Holy crap the rest of those nominated are nothing short of horrible....

Tut tut, you guys are downers.  

"I put myself on the line, you shoot it down with your negativity. I don't need it! I'm an idea man. I thrive on enthusiasm. Don't take the wind out of my sails. I need you.  Buddy, you know I love you, and I hate to see you like this, but we gotta look at reality here."

Owen Wilson - "Wedding Crashers"

guest8

In March.

LOL .. At how young you are .. I did have you pigeon-holed as this old guy in love with his era of movies and posters :P BUt heck were about the same age ! :D 

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
And don't get me started about press blurbs... Would you look at a French Breathless poster the same way if it had press blurbs?  What about Ed's utterly awesome Withnail and I quad... but with a big 4 STARS!!! COMEDY ROAD ROMP OF THE SEASON!!!!! say Peter Travers of Rolling Stones? ... This is not a new phenomenon by the way... just a more and more prevalent one.
It was almost too funny that I just found this original UK quad poster...

Dread_Pirate_Mel

In March.

HC, we know you're an old fogey just pretending to be 33.  You need to post a picture of yourself in front of your Pulp Fiction banner to prove otherwise....  ;)

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
It was almost too funny that I just found this original UK quad poster...
Is anyone else not able to see the Withnail and I review quad I posted above?  Here is is again just in case...

Dread_Pirate_Mel

Winners announced:

BEST POSTER:

BEST TEASER POSTER:

FUNNIEST POSTER:

BEST BLOCKBUSTER POSTER:

BEST TV POSTER:

BEST "SERIOUS TAGLINE":

BEST CHARACTER SET (CORALINE):

WORST POSTER:

Offline holiday

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
Not so bad when you see the winners only.

Is that version of Imaginarium available anywhere?
Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery

Offline kovacs01

• Global Moderator
  • Hoarder
    • My Poster Gallery
thats a "serious" tagline?!?!  Maybe having not seen the film, I do not understand.
Schan
Thanks.  You know what you did.
My Poster Gallery

Dread_Pirate_Mel

Is that version of Imaginarium available anywhere?

I've asked around and no one has ever seen this Imaginarium poster in a theater or seen it for sale.  Graeme/Picturetrader emailed me this:

I have been asking around and have not found a single person who has seen this poster so I have to doubt it existence. Between myself and one of my colleagues we generally get to know about 99% of all new releases here in the UK so it is not looking good I'm afraid. That said we did just turn up the three advance "Obama" style character posters for In The Loop this week which I had not had before so you never know it might be out there somewhere. Will of course let you know if anything materialises.

If this was never actually used in a theater, it should not have been eligible for poster of the year.

Offline holiday

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
Agreed, but it sure is a fantastic creation in any event.
Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery

Offline supraman079

• Global Moderator
  • Collector
    • Supraman079's Poster Website
If this was never actually used in a theater, it should not have been eligible for poster of the year.

Agreed!

Chad