Author Topic: Test Posters worth collecting?  (Read 4988 times)

Offline ATLfun

• Hoarder
Test Posters worth collecting?
« on: July 24, 2011, 10:52:49 PM »

Okay, I have a newb question here but I searched the forum and did not find a relevant thread.

Test posters do not seem to be overly rare, and IMO, they detract from the original artwork.  And what really bugs me is that they do not fit a standard frame for the genre in which it was made.

Having said all of that, are test posters deserving of a premium and is there a collector market for them?

Thanks,

Brian

"Please step away from the keyboard.  In my unsolicited opinion, you paid too much for your poster," said APF Price Police Officer Thierry.  

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
Re: Test Posters worth collecting?
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2011, 11:03:08 PM »
Brian, what exactly do you mean by a "test poster"?
Chris

Offline Ari

• Curator
    • OFFALEATERS HOUSE OF THE DAMNED
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2011, 11:07:03 PM »
I think he means, what some dealers call Printers Proofs, and I call un trimmed or un cut posters.
An Error Has Occurred!
You can't report your own post to the moderator, that doesn't make sense!

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2011, 11:07:40 PM »
I think he means, what some dealers call Printers Proofs, and I call un trimmed or un cut posters.

Oh...well that would make more sense.
Chris

Offline ATLfun

• Hoarder
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2011, 11:08:28 PM »
  Sorry, I was referring to a printer's proof poster where they have the color bars on the sides of the poster.  I hope that clears things up.  
   "Please step away from the keyboard.  In my unsolicited opinion, you paid too much for your poster," said APF Price Police Officer Thierry.  

Offline Ari

• Curator
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2011, 11:12:33 PM »
we have had discussions on these before, I have a hard time convincing people of what I think they are, or rather why they shouldn't be called Printers Proofs. But ahh well.
I have no problem with them, but wouldn't pay a premium for them either. And if you can get cgeap frames for ones that have been trimmed to size, Id go with standard one sheets myself.
An Error Has Occurred!

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2011, 11:30:41 PM »
There are certainly those that think they are worth more - presumably on the basis they are rarer - and price them accordingly.

Personally, I couldn't care less about them and I would much prefer a standard sized poster that I could actually frame more easily. 
Chris

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2011, 05:15:37 AM »
These uncut printer's proofs are a dime a dozen, Brian.
Don't waste your money.
 nono
They're oogly, over-sized and...and...they smell BAD, too!

Offline Ari

• Curator
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2011, 06:09:44 AM »
And while I keep trying to bite my tongue, I would like someone to prove they are printers proofs, and if so, why the hell do they print so many? I have worked as a desktop publisher/graphic designer for 10 years, and I got proofs to approve, one or two, maybe three. I can see no reason for a hundred to be printed. ALL one sheets are printed like this, but they get trimmed. A printers proof would be the same, BUT Printed first for APPROVAL, then if OK all printed JUST LIKE THIS, and then trimmed. So these are (unless you can prove it was a copy that was sent/given for approval) untrimmed one sheets. Regardless, unless the person/s who had the say in Yay or Nay was important, who cares if he/she/they touched it. PLUS they probably would (as I did) SIGN IT, as in YEAH OK, Print.. I know every job I had done I had to sign off before the printer would go ahead.
No big deal, just spin.
An Error Has Occurred!

Offline AdamCarterJones

• Hoarder
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2011, 04:19:25 PM »
The real printers proofs in the most part, in my opinion and experience, will have some form of text on, whether by hand or printed (directly or sticker applied to the poster).

Basically to reiterate what Ari said - the colour bars on the posters are simply the parts of the poster that were supposed to be trimmed off but were not.
Best wishes,
Adam

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2011, 07:47:30 PM »
These uncut printer's proofs are a dime a dozen, Brian.
Don't waste your money.
 nono
They're oogly, over-sized and...and...they smell BAD, too!

Like Ted said.  NONE!
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Disheveledamethyst

« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2011, 10:43:13 PM »
When I first started collecting, these things seemed like a hot item. In the trading card world that I came from, an uncut card sheet was considered extremely desirable and frighteningly valuable. However, these were also far, far rarer with next to none of them existing. I sort of came to realize that, as it's been iterated, untrimmed "printers proofs" are not at all on the same level.

I can't quite place my finger on the psychology as to why they are less desirable. Principally, its the same concept as a couple of trading cards stuck together as one piece of paper. Arguably, it's even the same concept as an unstruck coin, which is also very rare and desirable. But an untrimmed movie poster comes across more as a birdhouse without a roof. It feels unfinished rather than unique.

I would never purchase an untrimmed poster.

Offline Chop-Top

• Collector
    • My One Sheets