Author Topic: 1977 star wars posters in spanish??? help please!  (Read 3218 times)

Sandman

1977 star wars posters in spanish??? help please!
« on: July 21, 2011, 06:38:56 PM »
I have two 1977 Spanish star wars posters that i am having trouble identifying. The ones i have seen online have white borders and some information on them, my posters have no identifying marks and no borders. one measures 20.5 x 35.5 inches and the other measures 22.5 x 34.5 inches. here are the links to the photos:

http://i1205.photobucket.com/albums/bb438/Sandman_33/singlesmall.jpg

http://i1205.photobucket.com/albums/bb438/Sandman_33/collagesmall.jpg

Any information would be appreciated!

Sandman

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
Re: 1977 star wars posters in spanish??? help please!
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2011, 07:06:38 PM »
 welcome1 to APF, Sandman.
I haven't seen those posters before, but -- based on their size -- I would venture to guess that they were commercially sold posters.
Someone else might have more conclusive info, but they don't look like theatricals to me.
The Hildebrandt art was used in Spanish theaters as a one sheet...

and the Hildebrandt art was also used extensively in the U.S. as a commercial poster....

Even if yours are determined to be commercial prints, it doesn't mean they are not valuable.
Let's see if anyone else can chip in...
 waiting1

Offline theartofmovieposters

• Collector
    • theartofmovieposters
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2011, 07:20:36 PM »
Jeff Rosen is your best bet, now if I could just remember what his site address was...let me go see if I can find...
Ves

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2011, 07:36:07 PM »
No credits, probably commercial....

• Collector
    • theartofmovieposters
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2011, 10:25:17 PM »
Darn it...can't access NS to get his details
Ves

• Collector
    • theartofmovieposters
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2011, 12:28:16 AM »
Finally got onto NS but his site pics seem to be gone, and I have no idea of an email for him.
Maybe someone else can help???
Ves

Sandman

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2011, 12:41:50 AM »
Hey guys! thanks for the warm welcome and all the help! i have received an email from a fellow from another website that some what explains where these posters came from. I think Brude was correct with the commercial poster thought but it seems that these posters were not used in the commercial sense in Mexico but instead used for promotional purposes for the Spanish theaters (or maybe i have mis-read this email). here is the email:

Hi John,

Thanks for the additional pics and info. I have seen those Spanish/Mexican posters and they are commercial posters that could be purchased in the lobbies of cinemas at the time of the presentation of the film.

Let me back track a little bit and explain – here in the USA back in the days before the mega cinema multiplex with  15+ screens evolved, we used to go to movies (like in the late 70’s) that were more of an event and each movie theatre housed one or two movies for an extended period. Anyway, 20th Century Fox produced items for sale in the theatre lobbies to not only promote Star Wars, but also to give movie-goers souvenirs to buy such as buttons, programs, posters, and t-shirts, from the film.

Here are some pics like yours that were in USA theatres that could be bought, some of the illustrations look similar to your two posters. Some of the stuff was made by the company Factors Etc., others stuff like your collages were probably put together by Fox and/or Gore Graphics in LA.

The two posters you have were used in the exact same manor but were distributed for use to promote the film in Mexican theatres hence the “La Guerra de las Galaxias” title and Spanish text along with two unique layout variations of the posters.

I hope this info helps!

Anyway, I think they are cool and although we tend to only showcase the theatrical posters versions around here, mainly because there must be at least 10,000+ commercial from the Star Wars Saga, let me know if you’re going to sell or get rid of them any time soon! It would be neat to add them to the archive under the Mass Market section so all the fans and collectors could enjoy seeing them.

I will talk to you soon!

Sincerely, Paul

Sandman

« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2011, 02:23:29 PM »
Well i finally got my answer from the man who literally wrote the book. Steve Sansweet; who wrote "The Star Wars Poster Book" has informed me that these are most likely bootlegged posters which happens a lot with new movies in foreign countries. The cool part is that he says he has never seen posters like these before. So i guess my search is at an end. Thanks for all of your help!