Author Topic: Spidy fans in mourning  (Read 14264 times)

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
Spidy fans in mourning
« on: January 11, 2010, 08:45:22 PM »
Per Daily Variety:

Star Tobey Maguire and helmer Sam Raimi, who were both set for big paydays for "Spider Man 4," will no longer be involved in the franchise as Col moves forward with a high school-aged Peter Parker pic, which will bow theatrically in summer 2012.

Last week, Columbia confirmed that "Spider Man 4," which was scheduled to begin lensing in February and be released in 2011, was on hold indefinitely due to script problems. Columbia needs to continue actively developing "Spider Man" films or else the property will revert back to Disney/Marvel.

The studio has long prepared for the contingency of "Spider Man 4" falling apart and already has a James Vanderbilt-penned script about a teenage Peter Parker ready to shoot. That film, which has no director or star attached, is now in preproduction. The new version will likely cost far less than a "Spider Man 4" given that Columbia, which has a mandate not to give away more than 25% of the gross, won't be paying the high salaries or gross points to returning talent.

The new untitled Spider Man film will center on the webslinging teen as he grapples with both contemporary human problems and amazing super-human crises. Avi Arad and Laura Ziskin are producing.

Studio co-chairman Amy Pascal said Col has "a rare opportunity to make history once again with this franchise." She added, "We're very excited about the creative possibilities that come from returning to Peter's roots."

Raimi, who disagreed with the studio about the direction "Spider Man 4" should move, has expressed no hard feelings. "While we were looking forward to doing a fourth one together, the studio and Marvel have a unique opportunity to take the franchise in a new direction, and I know they will do a terrific job," he said.

The studio plans to hire a new helmer and a star in the coming weeks.
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
Re: Spidy fans in mourning
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2010, 09:09:28 PM »
Not sure what to think right now.

Spidey 3 really lost its way.

I have a feeling this new reboot simply will not come close to being in the same league as Spidey 1 and 2.

Also, seems WAY too early for a reboot with this character and the box office may disappoint.
Chris

Dr Hackenbush

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2010, 10:43:40 PM »
Raimi wanted to go with The Vulture (seriously?) and the studio wanted the Black Cat as part of a love interest.  I'd opt for the BC, personally.  I just don't see The Vulture as a decent villain, even if he's upgraded for modern sensibilities.  For those of you that have no clue as to who or what The Vulture is, I give you Exhibits A & B:

cinemarts

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2010, 02:23:57 AM »
Cheapjack TV series or even a direct to DVD cannot be far away.
SPIDERMAN 3 was tedious the same way X-MEN 3 was tedious.
Didn't Raimi originally say he had done all he could do with it in the second one?

At least X-MEN 3 had the excuse that Bryan Singer wasn't involved.

Raimi's DRAG ME TO HELL was far more fun and inventive and flat-out entertaining
than SPIDERMAN 3.

Phil

Bulla

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2010, 04:36:27 AM »
Thank God, Spidey 3 was awful ! I can live without another cash in sequel.

Offline kovacs01

• Global Moderator
  • Hoarder
    • My Poster Gallery
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2010, 04:45:05 AM »
the third one was terrible.  hopefully, they can refresh the franchise, but I kind of doubt it.
Schan
Thanks.  You know what you did.
My Poster Gallery

guest8

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2010, 08:25:13 AM »
I dont see spidey meets high school musical making a great reboot .. I have nothing to do with the film industry but it just seems to me like they are trying to lower the inflated budget by letting the high ticket talent  go and then try to go back in to a High School time so that they can pull in the teenage/bubblegum crowd .. Which just because its spiderman itll make money and maybe without the inflated budget theyd have with the big names it may turn out to be more money than if they tried to keep going in the direction that they were .. But I seriously doubt it will be of the same caliber as the 1st movies .. Sony just wants to get paid while keeping the property out of Marvels hands ..

Offline ddilts399

• Hoarder
    • .5% of my collection online
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2010, 08:28:16 AM »
Word was the Raimi did not have creative control on Spiderman 3 and never wanted Venom in the picture. Without control on this next film, he was done and rightfully so.

Offline kovacs01

• Global Moderator
  • Hoarder
    • My Poster Gallery
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2010, 09:03:02 AM »
Yeah Raimi wont, and shouldn't have to, defer to anyone regarding the direction of his films.  He is established enough that if someone wants him its going to be the other way around most of the time.
Schan
Thanks.  You know what you did.
My Poster Gallery

Dr Hackenbush

« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2010, 10:42:20 AM »
Word was the Raimi did not have creative control on Spiderman 3 and never wanted Venom in the picture. Without control on this next film, he was done and rightfully so.

This is the long and short of it.  If Raimi was out then TM wasn't going to play Spider-Man.  Marvel has had a ton of success with Ultimate Spider-Man which is about the teenage adventure of Peter Parker/Spider-Man.  Maybe Sony/Columbia figures that type of story line allows them more leeway with cheaper talent than a production with names.

Dr Hackenbush

« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2010, 02:34:24 PM »
Here are some updates from anyone following this story:

It's Official! Marc Webb to Direct Spider-Man!
Source:Columbia Pictures, Marvel Studios January 20, 2010

Marc Webb, the director of the Golden Globe-nominated Best Picture (500) Days of Summer, will direct the next chapter in the Spider-Man franchise, set to hit theaters summer 2012, it was jointly announced today by Columbia Pictures and Marvel Studios.

Written by James Vanderbilt, Webb will work closely with producers Avi Arad and Laura Ziskin in developing the project, which will begin production later this year.

Commenting on the announcement, Amy Pascal, co-chairman of Sony Pictures Entertainment, and Matt Tolmach, president of Columbia Pictures, said, "At its core, Spider-Man is a small, intimate human story about an everyday teenager that takes place in an epic super-human world. The key for us as we sought a new director was to identify filmmakers who could give sharp focus to Peter Parker's life. We wanted someone who could capture the awe of being in Peter's shoes so the audience could experience his sense of discovery while giving real heart to the emotion, anxiety, and recklessness of that age and coupling all of that with the adrenaline of Spider-Man's adventure. We believe Marc Webb is the perfect choice to bring us on that journey."

Arad and Ziskin added jointly, "Over the years, the Spider-Man comics have been told with bold and creative new writers and artists who have re-calibrated the way audiences see Peter Parker. Marc Webb will do for the new direction of the films what so many visionary storytellers have done with the comic books. He is an incredibly talented filmmaker and we look forward to working closely with him on this new adventure."

Webb said, "This is a dream come true and I couldn't be more aware of the challenge, responsibility, or opportunity. Sam Raimi's virtuoso rendering of Spider-Man is a humbling precedent to follow and build upon. The first three films are beloved for good reason. But I think the Spider-Man mythology transcends not only generations but directors as well. I am signing on not to 'take over' from Sam. That would be impossible. Not to mention arrogant. I'm here because there's an opportunity for ideas, stories, and histories that will add a new dimension, canvas, and creative voice to Spider-Man."

And the reason they went with Webb:

Webb’s other big appeal? He's much cheaper than the old Spider-Man crew. The deal just now being sewn up calls for Webb to be paid roughly $10 million for the first film, with substantial bonuses built in if the picture reaches certain box-office milestones. (Coincidentally, Webb’s deal is being hammered out by the Gersh Agency, the feisty outfit which first put Tobey Maguire into the webslinger's suit a decade ago.) This is a big savings from how his predecessor Sam Raimi was compensated. Unlike the now-departed Raimi, Webb won’t be getting paid a percentage of the films' grosses. Compare that to Spider-Man 4, for which Raimi and star Tobey Maguire were expected to claim more than 25 percent of the gross.
It’s not just a case of Hollywood exploiting a young director; it’s a matter of survival. The ground has shifted dramatically as of late. With the recent dramatic collapse of the DVD market (sales were down 17 percent in the last three months, compared with the same time last year), Sony had become genuinely worried that with a high-price cast and director, the Spider-Man franchise wouldn't make the studio any money at all in theaters. In fact, we're told that only longtime producer Laura Ziskin and former Marvel Entertainment CEO Avi Arad are getting gross participation on the new films, and then only because their contracts stipulated as much.

Dr Hackenbush

« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2010, 02:37:23 PM »
This story is floating around the web, but I don't know how much credence to put into it:

More Spider-Man Reboot Details? Source:Risky Business January 20, 2010

Yesterday, Columbia Pictures and Marvel Studios confirmed that (500) Days of Summer helmer Marc Webb is going to direct the Spider-Man reboot. In reporting on the news, the Risky Business blog has some possible more details on the project:

Webb, who has options on two sequels, will now tackle a Jamie Vanderbilt -script that sees a “Spider-Man” movie that will look and feel very different from the big movies that went before it.

The plan for the movie is to be in the $80 million range and feature a cast of relative unknowns (so you can quash those Rob Pattinson or Gordon-Levitt rumors at this point). And the story will be pared down to center on a high school kid who is dealing with the knowledge that his uncle died even though the teen had the power to stop it.

The touchstone for the new movie will not be the 1960s comics, which were the inspiration behind the movies by Raimi, who grew on up on them, but rather this past decade’s “Ultimate Spider-Man” comics by Brian Michael Bendis and Mark Bagley where the villain-fighting took a back seat to the high school angst.

Please keep in mind that none of this is confirmed and we may not know for sure until closer to release. Stay tuned for more announcements as they come in...