Author Topic: Inserts  (Read 5484 times)

Offline rdavey26

• Hoarder
    • Randy's Movie Posterz
Inserts
« on: July 10, 2011, 11:34:22 PM »
Does anyone collect inserts? If so are they really worth collecting?

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
Re: Inserts
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2011, 11:41:25 PM »
That's a question that will only lead to VERY subjective answers.

What do you mean by 'worth' exactly?

If you are considering any inserts yourself, be cautious of any of the "Minty White" variety!
Chris

Offline rdavey26

• Hoarder
    • Randy's Movie Posterz
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2011, 11:43:25 PM »
I am just wondering if they are actually worth the time collecting? Are there a lot of repro's out there

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2011, 11:57:43 PM »
I am just wondering if they are actually worth the time collecting? Are there a lot of repro's out there

If fear of reproductions is your main concern read this (of course this only applies to the titles - i.e. all very popular movies - in question):

http://www.learnaboutmovieposters.com/NewSite/ADMIN/Problems/FAKES/MintyWhiteReport.asp

Chris

Offline jayn_j

• Hoarder
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2011, 12:13:44 AM »
While everybody else was answering, I was busy uploading a few I have on display.  The keyword you want to watch for in inserts is "minty white"  Avoid the titles in that list and you should be fine.

I like inserts for certain posters.  Some artwork lends itself to a vertical presentation and the insert form factor lets you display posters in places that a 1 sheet won't fit.  Inserts tend to sell for less, about the same price as half sheets, so you can get some better titles where you might not be able to afford the 1 sheet.  Here are a few I just uploaded.  All of these are currently on my walls.

-Jay-

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2011, 12:18:52 AM »
A nice selection Jay!  Just like daybills, the vertical format is conducive to framing...
Chris

Offline rdavey26

• Hoarder
    • Randy's Movie Posterz
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2011, 12:24:26 AM »
So the best thing to do is stay away from popular titles and make sure it does not say "minty white"

Offline jayn_j

• Hoarder
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2011, 12:43:34 AM »
So the best thing to do is stay away from popular titles and make sure it does not say "minty white"

Not exactly.  There is a list of posters that are known to have large number of minty white fakes.  Here is a link to a good article:
http://www.learnaboutmovieposters.com/NewSite/ADMIN/Problems/FAKES/MintyWhiteReport.asp

and here is the list of known minty whites:
http://www.learnaboutmovieposters.com/NewSite/ADMIN/Problems/FAKES/MintyWhiteList.asp
-Jay-

Offline rdavey26

• Hoarder
    • Randy's Movie Posterz
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2011, 12:48:12 AM »
Thank you for the info

Offline rdavey26

• Hoarder
    • Randy's Movie Posterz
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2011, 01:07:07 AM »
What is the normal size of a insert?

Offline Ari

• Curator
    • OFFALEATERS HOUSE OF THE DAMNED
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2011, 04:00:29 AM »
What is the normal size of a insert?

14"x36"

I love them, and often more affordable than 1 sheets, and I like them (usually) a lot more, the format and I like the heavy stock they are printed on.

and two of my favourites:

An Error Has Occurred!
You can't report your own post to the moderator, that doesn't make sense!

Offline jayn_j

• Hoarder
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2011, 06:56:33 AM »
Those are very nice, Ari.
-Jay-

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2011, 11:36:54 AM »
I don't have many inserts, but I have managed to get some nice ones.  Including the below I also have Escape from New York and probably one or two others...

Signed by Bacall

Sorry for the crappy cell phone pick on this one....

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2011, 12:50:02 PM »
Ugh!  Matt, I thought we had an agreement that you weren't allowed to post the Big Sleep anymore?!
Chris

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2011, 02:10:12 PM »
My bad :)

Offline wonka

• Hoarder
  • Reverend of the APF
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2011, 02:50:24 PM »
Matt, off topic, but what kind of floor surface is that?  (Great insert for TBS...awesome).
"Ben. His name is Ben. But he's a Celtic fan, so Asshole will do too." -Thierry

Quote from: MoviePosterBid.com
I was mistaken,

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2011, 06:57:11 PM »
2'x1' tiles... the almost look like a cross between dark grey/brown wood and fabric (the texture).  Very cool and they were only $5/sq. foot, which... if you know anything about floor tile... isn't half bad.  Especially as we were comparing them to wood floors.

Offline wonka

• Hoarder
  • Reverend of the APF
« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2011, 11:32:09 PM »
2'x1' tiles... the almost look like a cross between dark grey/brown wood and fabric (the texture).  Very cool and they were only $5/sq. foot, which... if you know anything about floor tile... isn't half bad.  Especially as we were comparing them to wood floors.

Thanks man, good to know. Looks really sharp, will have to show my wife.
Do you know the manufacturer offhand?

We are redoing the entire basement and most of the kitchen.
The basement floor is actually going to be cork flooring (really cool if you haven't seen it), but this tile you have may work in our bathroom if we don't extend the cork in there...

Sorry to hijack...thanks again for the info.
"Ben. His name is Ben. But he's a Celtic fan, so Asshole will do too." -Thierry

Quote from: MoviePosterBid.com
I was mistaken,

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2011, 11:58:02 AM »
I like inserts, and probably have more of them than 1shts. I keep picking them up as they are for peanuts (not Ari's friend, I mean cheap). You can get a nice poster for a fiver, and as said they fit in those tight places on the wall, so very handy.

Some nice ones posted above, and a first rate kitchen floor...

I'd just like to say, if you like them they are worth collecting. If you want them to be worth something don't buy them, as that is not the reason to buy a poster, or any collectable. Buy what you LIKE and enjoy it for what it is.
It's more than a Hobby...

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #19 on: July 19, 2011, 06:58:47 PM »
I'd just like to say, if you like them they are worth collecting. If you want them to be worth something don't buy them, as that is not the reason to buy a poster, or any collectable.

Well said, Paul
It twists my gut when I read posts by 'collectors' who constantly talk about what they hope or forecast their purchase will be worth down the road.  That is not a collector.  That is an investor.  In my opinion, investors have ruined virtually every hobby they get into.
I could give a hoot and a holler what my 'purchase' will soon be worth.
It's what it means to me to own it now.

Offline jayn_j

• Hoarder
« Reply #20 on: July 19, 2011, 07:10:11 PM »
Well said, Paul
It twists my gut when I read posts by 'collectors' who constantly talk about what they hope or forecast their purchase will be worth down the road.  That is not a collector.  That is an investor.  In my opinion, investors have ruined virtually every hobby they get into.
I could give a hoot and a holler what my 'purchase' will soon be worth.
It's what it means to me to own it now.

I don't really mind investors in this hobby.  Investors don't have the time or energy to research the wide selection and variety of movie paper, so they tend to frenzy around a few.  The effect is that these become unaffordable for now.  Right now it is Alamos and Black Swan.  Maybe some '80s stuff and the perennial Universal Horror.  The frenzy takes the attention away from the rest of the stuff and keeps it affordable.  And sooner or later, the investors lose interest in most of the hot items and prices plunge back.  Better still, there are then a lot of mint condition items available for us poor collectors.

Basically most 'investors' are simply unthinking lemmings.
-Jay-

Bruce

« Reply #21 on: July 19, 2011, 11:00:55 PM »
Jay, I used to use "lemmings" in this context, until I learned that I had been deceived by of all people, Uncle Walt Disney!

See for the sad truth!

Bruce

Offline jayn_j

• Hoarder
« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2011, 08:51:29 AM »
Jay, I used to use "lemmings" in this context, until I learned that I had been deceived by of all people, Uncle Walt Disney!

See for the sad truth!

Bruce

Uncle Walt??!  Is nothing sacred?
-Jay-

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #23 on: July 20, 2011, 12:20:26 PM »
Naughty old Walt.....

It's more than a Hobby...

Offline stewart boyle

• Hoarder
« Reply #24 on: July 20, 2011, 12:29:52 PM »
Naughty old Walt.....

Paul,I hope no Lemmings where harmed in the taking of that photo!

Stew