Author Topic: July Signature Auction  (Read 28988 times)

Offline oldposterho

• Collector
    • Peter's Movie Posters
Re: July Signature Auction
« Reply #100 on: July 17, 2011, 07:04:12 PM »
Nah, that "Beast from the Haunted Cave" was a steal too.  Wanted one of those for years, pained me to watch it go, but glad it found a good home.  So much great sci fi and horror stuff at one time, I wonder if that kept things reasonable as collectors had to ration.  Same thing for the animation posters, seemed like there were some truly rare things going very reasonably, lost in the pack.

Congrats to all.

--Peter
For sale and trade posters: *Here*

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #101 on: July 17, 2011, 07:12:48 PM »
And last but most definitely not least....

Underwater! (RKO, 1955). One Sheet (27" X 41"): Sold as an underwater, treasure-seeking adventure, Underwater!'s real attraction was Jane Russell in a bathing suit. In Superscope, no less! The poster had pinholes in the corners and the image and chips in two corners, issues that have been addressed with professional restoration, including touch-ups to the folds. Fine/Very Fine on Linen.

Nice pickup Mel.  After seeing so many great posters on this title and having recently bought the quad poster, I decided to check the movie out... don't bother.  It's TERRIBLE! :)

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #102 on: July 17, 2011, 07:43:14 PM »
Nice Underwater Mel  thumbup

I can't believe I was the only bidder at $240! It went for $600 just a few months ago.

Nice buys Mel,

I was tempted to bid on the Go APE and Underwater, but there were too many unusual items and serious steals to be had. So I focused on those. In my opinion these ones are absolute steals:

Good ones!  Yeah, a lot of stuff was going for 1/2 estimate but some of the estimates were inflated too. The Godzilla one sheet went relatively low - only $1700, although it did have a chip on the bottom border.

Here it is:

Very nice - I have the red version.  But my question is "HOW ARE YOU GOING TO EXPLAIN VAVOOM JESSICA TO WIFEY!!!"  :)

Offline wonka

• Hoarder
  • Reverend of the APF
« Reply #103 on: July 17, 2011, 07:51:31 PM »

IMO, the best line up/posts/set of additions to your horde over there, Mel, dating back to your Forty Candles days on MPF. I like each and every one of them, good to see you turning back the clock with purchases over DS land, but bad for me and others I suppose.

Terrific stuff.
"Ben. His name is Ben. But he's a Celtic fan, so Asshole will do too." -Thierry

Quote from: MoviePosterBid.com
I was mistaken,

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #104 on: July 17, 2011, 08:01:33 PM »
Agree. Six for six Mel.  happy1

Gratz on a great day collecting.

Offline ATLfun

• Hoarder
« Reply #105 on: July 17, 2011, 11:14:38 PM »
  Okay, so not actually part of the Signature auction per se, but they were auctioned off on Sunday by Heritage.  These three posters round out my five poster weekend.

Dirty Harry (Warner Brothers, 1971). One Sheet (27" X 41"). Crime.
The poster should have no holes, no tears, and no paper loss. Poster art and layout by Bill Gold. Please see full-color, enlargeable image below for more details. Folded, Near Mint.

Pale Rider (Warner Brothers, 1985). One Sheet (27" X 41"). Western.
The artwork is by C. Michael Dudash with the design layout by Bill Gold. Please see full-color, enlargeable image below for more details. Rolled, Very Fine/Near Mint.

Goliath and the Vampires (American International, 1964). Insert (14" X 36"). Horror.
 It may have general signs of use, such as slight fold separation and fold wear, pinholes, or edge wear. Please see full-color, enlargeable image below for more details. Folded, Very Fine+.

« Last Edit: July 17, 2011, 11:16:50 PM by ATLfun »
   "Please step away from the keyboard.  In my unsolicited opinion, you paid too much for your poster," said APF Price Police Officer Thierry.  

Offline kovacs01

• Global Moderator
  • Hoarder
    • My Poster Gallery
« Reply #106 on: July 18, 2011, 04:44:24 AM »
Matt, I had that Battle of Algiers on my watch list.  If I could have stayed up for the live bidding, I may have made a play, but it was just too late (early) here.  Very nice piece!  As for me, I knocked a couple of minor pieces off my want list.  I actually did not expect to win them, so it was a nice surprise. 

What I really wanted was that Italian Day of the Triffids, but recent purchases forced me to pass on that one. 

I'm going to have to have them hold onto them for me until I am there in 3 weeks. I guess that will force me to pay sales tax, but it shouldn't be much more than shipping would have been anyway.

Schan
Thanks.  You know what you did.
My Poster Gallery

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #107 on: July 18, 2011, 02:52:06 PM »
Charlie... I think you mistook Rich's response to Mel's statement about "losing his ass" all wrong.
Mel is the one claiming to have "lost his ass." Rich was consoling Mel with a blanket statement, "we've all taken losses of some kind somewhere."

What happened to Charlie's post?  Sure, this hobby is primarily for fun and I expect and anticipate I will lose some money but, if I did sell my collection, I'd like to recover at least 75% of what I've spent.  Because I bought a lot of post-1990 posters and spent a ton on shipping hundreds of packages, I'd be lucky to recover 50%, especially if I have to consign everything, which really is the only practical way to sell a large collection.  Nowadays I'm trying to concentrate on the older stuff which should hold up better.

As far as revealing prices paid, I think that's OK as long as the intent is to be collaborative and - on occasion - strictly for bragging if you got an outrageously good deal!

Absolutely ridiculous.  You really have to be careful with these auctions.  Unless you purchase a rare piece (hard to find anywhere else) like Sean did, the rest is crazily inflated.  Mel's purchase of Black Swan is one example.  

Yeah, I agree that $1600 price for the set of Black Swans may be aberrational.  But the fact is the supply of these posters has totally dried up - except for fakes sold by Tloce - and nobody wants to sell, so all bets are off.  High demand, no supply = big bucks
« Last Edit: July 18, 2011, 03:05:08 PM by Dread_Pirate_Mel »

Offline jayn_j

• Hoarder
« Reply #108 on: July 18, 2011, 03:08:22 PM »
Yeah, I agree that $1600 price for the set of Black Swans may be aberrational.  But the fact is the supply of these posters has totally dried up - except for fakes sold by Tloce - and nobody wants to sell, so all bets are off.  High demand, no supply = big bucks

For now.  My prediction is these will go the way of many other posters that were the latest must have posters of years past.
-Jay-

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #109 on: July 18, 2011, 03:33:35 PM »
For now.  My prediction is these will go the way of many other posters that were the latest must have posters of years past.

Well, these are unusually artistic and not the usual Photoshop montage, so they may hold up long after the movie is forgotten.

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #110 on: July 18, 2011, 03:40:49 PM »
Because I bought a lot of post-1990 posters and spent a ton on shipping hundreds of packages, I'd be lucky to recover 50%

Mel.. getting 50% back is the norm for a decent collection of anything, unless you only buy cheap (meaning well under market)

Collectibles are a miserable investment for 95% (or more) of all collectors in any field

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Offline ddilts399

• Hoarder
    • .5% of my collection online
« Reply #111 on: July 18, 2011, 03:42:57 PM »
Absolutely ridiculous.  You really have to be careful with these auctions.  Unless you purchase a rare piece (hard to find anywhere else) like Sean did, the rest is crazily inflated.  Mel's purchase of Black Swan is one example.  Another one: 2 months ago, I purchased this poster for $800.

It just sold at Ha for $2,200.  Which is why I don't bid on their signature auctions.

T

This is the one I was interested in when it was holding at $700, unfortunately it blew way past that.

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #112 on: July 18, 2011, 03:53:35 PM »

Agreed.
Chris

Offline wonka

• Hoarder
  • Reverend of the APF
« Reply #113 on: July 18, 2011, 03:55:07 PM »
This is the one I was interested in when it was holding at $700, unfortunately it blew way past that.

That Dr. No is incredible. Wow, what a poster, may be my fav Bond paper I have seen to be honest.
Congrats, Thierry...what are the dimensions?

Harry C, forgot to tell you how cool that BOA piece is. Just terrific and one of the best films I have ever seen.  Great buy.
"Ben. His name is Ben. But he's a Celtic fan, so Asshole will do too." -Thierry

Quote from: MoviePosterBid.com
I was mistaken,

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #114 on: July 18, 2011, 04:38:37 PM »
Mel.. getting 50% back is the norm for a decent collection of anything, unless you only buy cheap (meaning well under market)  Collectibles are a miserable investment for 95% (or more) of all collectors in any field

Oh, well, I would have blown it all anyway on wine, women, and song anyway if I hadn't stumbled into this hobby :)

Okay, so not actually part of the Signature auction per se, but they were auctioned off on Sunday by Heritage.

Great stuff, Brian. Especially impressive since you've only been in the hobby for a couple of months.  Wish I had bought "better" stuff when I started out instead of fishing in the "current releases" on Ebay, a good chunk of which I've now given away or trashed.

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #115 on: July 18, 2011, 05:16:01 PM »
Oh, well, I would have blown it all anyway on wine, women, and song anyway if I hadn't stumbled into this hobby :)

I have spent quite bit of $$ in exactly that fashion. I am not now, but I used to collect wines (and women) as well as art & posters. I still have a few cases of good stuff, like a 1985 Lynch-Bages, 1983 (not the best year) Pichon Lalande as well as 1986 (very good year) and 1982 Cos-Destournelle just to name a few

that money has flitted away like a wisp of smoke in the breeze, but I did collect something! I collected the "memory of the wine". My favorite of all was a 1959 Inglenook Special Selection Cabernet from casks J-6 & F-6. Used to have a case with my buddy and we opened 1 a year each SDCC until about 1999. Every time it had yet changed and the flavors/bouquet were different everytime. Then of course in 1961 Inglenook sold out to their competitors and was turned into a "jug wine" company.. yech!

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #116 on: July 18, 2011, 07:35:01 PM »
Thanks Ben and Schan for the kind comments on the BOA.  I love the artwork... probably the best of whats out there. 

And nice Bottle Rocket... I didn't realize that poster was available DS. 

Dr Hackenbush

« Reply #117 on: July 18, 2011, 08:51:32 PM »
I was watching the auction and saw the BOA at 10 or 15 dollars.  I was going to bid on it, then the bids just exploded and it was at $100 or so.  Glad you ended up winning it  clap

Offline archie leach

• Hoarder
« Reply #118 on: July 18, 2011, 09:09:06 PM »
Thanks Ben and Schan for the kind comments on the BOA.  I love the artwork... probably the best of whats out there. 

That's funny.  Up until now, I didn't realize that SS copies were around...

Offline kovacs01

• Global Moderator
  • Hoarder
    • My Poster Gallery
« Reply #119 on: July 18, 2011, 09:10:46 PM »
Thanks Ben and Schan for the kind comments on the BOA.  I love the artwork... probably the best of whats out there.  

I was told by a collector that the video poster for the film is single sided and indistinguishable from the single sided theatrical one sheet.  So, if such things matter to you, the only way to know you are getting a theatrical one sheet is to get the double sided one.  Of course, like almost everything in this hobby, I got that info second or third hand and there is no way to confirm any of it.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2011, 09:11:47 PM by kovacs01 »
Schan
Thanks.  You know what you did.
My Poster Gallery

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #120 on: July 18, 2011, 10:24:47 PM »
That's funny.  Up until now, I didn't realize that SS copies were around...

I'm just going by a quick look online... eMovie history and eBay current sales only have SS posters. 

Offline ATLfun

• Hoarder
« Reply #121 on: July 18, 2011, 10:57:41 PM »

Great stuff, Brian. Especially impressive since you've only been in the hobby for a couple of months.  Wish I had bought "better" stuff when I started out instead of fishing in the "current releases" on Ebay, a good chunk of which I've now given away or trashed.

You had me pegged pretty good in the beginning Mel.  I was in a maniac "gotta have a collection overnight" phase.  I bought some stuff that will never see the light of day like my tomb raiders and hangover posters. Your words of wisdom slowed me down.  I would rather focus on a displayable collection in a professional atmosphere. (Of course, I will have to hang that Jessica Rabbit poster in a discreet place).

So my new strategy is to slow down, maybe buy 2-3 three $500 posters every three months rather than buying 20-30 new release posters.  I have two more posters in my auction sites, then I am done until Bruce's next auction or the November Signature auction.

Brian
   "Please step away from the keyboard.  In my unsolicited opinion, you paid too much for your poster," said APF Price Police Officer Thierry.  

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #122 on: July 19, 2011, 12:12:53 AM »
I have two more posters in my auction sites, then I am done until Bruce's next auction or the November Signature auction.

Ha ha! Yeah right.  Welcome to the club :)

raulleaf

« Reply #123 on: July 19, 2011, 12:15:23 AM »
Ha ha! Yeah right.  Welcome to the club :)

Yep I told myself last weekend that I was done for the month; then went on to buy another Black Swan and a Kwai Insert. Damn the lack of discipline!  Visa has got me by the nuts now!

Offline archie leach

• Hoarder
« Reply #124 on: July 19, 2011, 10:11:15 AM »
I was told by a collector that the video poster for the film is single sided and indistinguishable from the single sided theatrical one sheet.  So, if such things matter to you, the only way to know you are getting a theatrical one sheet is to get the double sided one.  Of course, like almost everything in this hobby, I got that info second or third hand and there is no way to confirm any of it.

The only known theatricals that I've dealt with were all DS, but it not a title that I've watched all that closely.

I was under the impression that this was the video poster, but I could see them sending out leftover theatricals as well...