Author Topic: I want to try to linen back a poster.  (Read 37508 times)

Charlie

Re: I want to try to linen back a poster.
« Reply #25 on: February 14, 2012, 04:35:40 PM »
Cotton Duck Canvas
I note Charlie you suggest 15oz but I have also seen suggestions on the net that 12 oz is just fine. Thoughts?

Tighter weave and heavier duct = less wavy and unrolls better due to the weight...

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #26 on: February 14, 2012, 04:44:28 PM »
http://www.ebay.com/itm/FABER-CASTELL-72-Watercolour-Pencil-Set-New-/370528991549?pt=UK_Crafts_DrawingSupplies_EH&hash=item56453fb93d

Aren't these 'watercolor pencils' and not 'grease pencils'?  What is the appropriate thing to use for touch-ups (that can be reversed in the future)?

Offline 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #27 on: February 14, 2012, 04:49:14 PM »

Glue

Any guidance/link on best type?

Use wallpaper glue.

Offline Silhouette

• Hoarder
« Reply #28 on: February 14, 2012, 04:50:10 PM »
Thanks Charlie. Now I know everything there is to know about linen backing I'll go and do one...be back in an hour to let you know how it went.  ;D

But seriously, all good info, thanks for sharing your research - dunno when I will do one but sooner than later I imagine.
David

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #29 on: February 14, 2012, 04:54:10 PM »
anyone who uses pencils to do touvh ups isn't much of an artist. Doc Martens dyes and a very talented artist are what you need and if you aren't talented, all you're doing is damage.

I used to run a service station that we specialized in vintage 50s-60s Mercedes reconstruction. We used to take the cars apart & rebuild them from the chassis up. But that was 30+ years ago. Though I can work on vintage auto engines, I know little about contemporary auto engine repair & I do not have any of the proper tools needed to work on modern engines. Ergo, I do not do any repairs to my 3000GT VR-4, nor would I attempt to unless I was stuck out in the desert with no help coming.

My feelings about linenbacking are the same, even though I do have art training and I was an art dealer for decades.  You pay someone who can do the work and who can do it expertly and the result will always be what you are expecting. Going against that grain is a fool's errand.

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Charlie

« Reply #30 on: February 14, 2012, 04:57:32 PM »
anyone who uses pencils to do touvh ups isn't much of an artist. Doc Martens dyes and a very talented artist are what you need and if you aren't talented, all you're doing is damage.

I used to run a service station that we specialized in vintage 50s-60s Mercedes reconstruction. We used to take the cars apart & rebuild them from the chassis up. But that was 30+ years ago. Though I can work on vintage auto engines, I know little about contemporary auto engine repair & I do not have any of the proper tools needed to work on modern engines. Ergo, I do not do any repairs to my 3000GT VR-4, nor would I attempt to unless I was stuck out in the desert with no help coming.

My feelings about linenbacking are the same, even though I do have art training and I was an art dealer for decades.  You pay someone who can do the work and who can do it expertly and the result will always be what you are expecting. Going against that grain is a fool's errand.

How will you know if you never try?  Believe it or not I was a decent artist.  I just had issues with colors; born that way.  I have a steady hand so I figure I'll just have the wife pick the colors...  ;D

Charlie

« Reply #31 on: February 14, 2012, 05:00:47 PM »
Aren't these 'watercolor pencils' and not 'grease pencils'?  What is the appropriate thing to use for touch-ups (that can be reversed in the future)?

Where is the sarcasm warning Matt? 

Poster Mountain's Blog discussed use of water color pencil for touch up...

• Post-aholic
« Reply #33 on: February 14, 2012, 05:02:32 PM »
Chucky Baby.. "try" is a bad word. It means that even you aren't certain you will "succeed"

people who "try" are responsible for all the bad results in any field with rare exception.

if you're hoping to get educated and learn, we call that "learning" not "trying"

students rarely get the desired results (except the education which is always a good result for students)

if you have lots of posters to trash and have not much value, you can learn on those. If you're planning on working with nice posters, my suggestion is to get someone who is already educated AND talented

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder

-------

Offline Silhouette

• Hoarder
« Reply #34 on: February 14, 2012, 05:03:16 PM »
Use wallpaper glue.

I thought you were being funny but I checked around, sure enough and although we don't have the brand here Golden Harvest wallpaper glue is rated by artists (who use canvas as a medium) as archival.
David

• Post-aholic
« Reply #35 on: February 14, 2012, 05:04:13 PM »
water color pencils are great.. but still, you need to be an artist and someone who can hold a pencil is not always an artist.

the definition of a "true artist" is a talented individual who can perfectly do what is expected. anyone else is what we call "a hack"

don't be a hack

-------

Offline Silhouette

• Hoarder
« Reply #36 on: February 14, 2012, 05:06:59 PM »
I do not have any of the proper tools needed to work on modern engines.

Who does - every time I take the Beema in for its once a year service they plug the key into a computer and 'it' tells them what's wrong with the car!
« Last Edit: February 14, 2012, 05:08:09 PM by Silhouette »
David

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #37 on: February 14, 2012, 05:08:12 PM »
Where is the sarcasm warning Matt? 

Poster Mountain's Blog discussed use of water color pencil for touch up...

I haven't seen their blog.  Are watercolor pencils reversible?  Or at that point does it really matter?

Rich, are you talking about this stuff?  http://www.docmartins.com/  Looks like it is still watercolor, no? 

I'm like Charlie, I'm a decent artist and have a dead steady hand... but I've never had any formal training so I would need some pointers on the tools and paints.  I'd also only be doing this on sub $150 posters that don't need backing, but could use a bit of a touch up.  Isn't that fairly common anyway?  If a poster is in decent shape you can flatten it and touch-up foldlines without backing it?  Isn't that what they did here: http://www.emovieposter.com/agallery/archiveitem/12038949.html

Condition: fine. The poster was in excellent folded condition. The collector who owned it wanted to frame it on his wall, and he wanted it to look in as perfect condition as possible, so he gave it to a top restorer, and had them press the poster flat, and perform the tiniest of touch up to the foldlines, so that it would seem to be completely unfolded on his wall! This really is a magnificent poster, and I certainly hope that whoever purchases it will also display it on their wall!

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #38 on: February 14, 2012, 05:13:15 PM »
Chucky Baby.. "try" is a bad word. It means that even you aren't certain you will "succeed"

people who "try" are responsible for all the bad results in any field with rare exception.

if you're hoping to get educated and learn, we call that "learning" not "trying"

students rarely get the desired results (except the education which is always a good result for students)

if you have lots of posters to trash and have not much value, you can learn on those. If you're planning on working with nice posters, my suggestion is to get someone who is already educated AND talented

I have 2 rolls of worthless folded 1-sheets to try (err... learn) on.  

By the way, why all the poo poo'ing here Rich?  Clearly there is interest in this topic... and there have been other threads about DIY restoration as well.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2012, 05:15:31 PM by Harry Caul »

Charlie

« Reply #39 on: February 14, 2012, 05:14:02 PM »

I have ten copies of some posters from the 60s.  I figure I will conduct experiment with the different cleaning, gluing and antifungal agents and keep track of the results.  I will then say tear out a piece and practice fills etc. and in painting.  I won't mess with my good stuff until I am confident I have it down.  That is what I mean by try.  I will then assess if I should....

Offline 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #40 on: February 14, 2012, 05:30:36 PM »
I do a great job (I think) touching up fold lines and filling small areas with chips out, using watercolor pencils. Any actual work to recreate a missing/damaged area I would balls up, but doing the simple stuff I cant see a problem... and with using watercolor, you can just wipe it off if you don't like what you've done - no damage done (if anything, only a slight gloss effect on the paper due to pencil pressure)

Offline Silhouette

• Hoarder
« Reply #41 on: February 14, 2012, 05:50:08 PM »

I'm going to learn while trying
David

• Post-aholic
« Reply #42 on: February 14, 2012, 06:17:59 PM »
By the way, why all the poo poo'ing here Rich?  Clearly there is interest in this topic... and there have been other threads about DIY restoration as well.

just staing the facts Harry

I leave the professional work to the professionals

-------

Offline Silhouette

• Hoarder
« Reply #43 on: February 14, 2012, 06:27:52 PM »

Who built your websites then?
« Last Edit: February 14, 2012, 06:30:29 PM by Silhouette »
David

• Post-aholic
« Reply #44 on: February 14, 2012, 06:57:04 PM »
Who built your websites then?

well, it was professional back when it was built.. but then the previous owner let a non-professional do some work and that's when the problems begans. Too bad I can't spend $25,000 to get it replaced

-------

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #45 on: February 14, 2012, 08:04:11 PM »
Good luck, guys, on both learning and trying to do some backing and light restoration, regardless. If it is a disaster or more difficult than expected, you will, no doubt, report that, too.

I find restoration and preservation fascinating!

Cant wait to see the results and finished items.  thumbup

-Jeff

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #46 on: February 14, 2012, 08:10:28 PM »
just staing the facts Harry

Well, I think the whole point here is trying to figure out what to do with posters that don't warrant 'professional work'.  I don't imagine anyone here is considering experimenting on valuable posters...

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #47 on: February 14, 2012, 08:18:39 PM »
Good luck, guys, on both learning and trying to do some backing and light restoration, regardless. If it is a disaster or more difficult than expected, you will, no doubt, report that, too.

I find restoration and preservation fascinating!

Cant wait to see the results and finished items.  thumbup

+1

Offline 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #48 on: February 14, 2012, 08:22:56 PM »
well, it was professional back when it was built.. but then the previous owner let a non-professional do some work and that's when the problems begans. Too bad I can't spend $25,000 to get it replaced

Cant you do like bruce, use an auction website service but one that allows you to have other sellers auction through your auction service. That would be better than building a new site for 25K. You can still retain the pages you like on your current site after you off load the auction part for a monthly fee I presume.

Offline teamweapon

• Collector
« Reply #49 on: February 14, 2012, 08:24:22 PM »
i posted this on the wrong thread, it was on latest acquisitions.
but i see its shifted here, i typed this

"SHWEET!
ive been looking into this for a while but i also could find hardly anywhere with any info AT ALL??? i found one book on amazon on paper restoration but this wasnt a specific poster book, i think i was mainly about stamps, or maybe books? i forget? i am REALLY keen on this idea also.
while im not amazing with wood, i am adequate. and if its something tricky one of my best friends is AMAZING with wood (not in a prevy way i hasten to add!)
so i am really looking forward to knowing how you get on with your project. im also sure that if the project would cost you $500 it would pretty much always cost more to do in the UK where i am.
and im SKINT haha.
i got to thinking about this after spending quite a lot of time digitally restoring poster images in photoshop, which lead me to the logical conclusion of doing this in the real world not virtually.
i have also been considering taking some form of education in this field but again can't really find anywhere with classes?
im guessing its basically simple chemistry? im sure it cant be that hard to learn?Huh? or is it? haha"

i disagree with the leave it to professionals attitude. how do you think they learned?
my guess is by mostly reading books.

if you get a basic handle on the chemistry involved, im sure with a little trial and error on low value paper items. a level that is acceptable would be attainable. especially if you aim to stabilize the acidity in the process which would give longevity to the paper.
it really isnt rocket science.
I don't know much, but i do know what my eyes are telling me!
Sean