Author Topic: Value of this trimmed Argentinian BARBARELLA?  (Read 4501 times)

Offline rumble

• Hobbyist
Value of this trimmed Argentinian BARBARELLA?
« on: June 25, 2011, 10:03:37 AM »
I've already told the story so you might be sick of hearing it, but I was able to pick up an Argentinian BARBARELLA for $20 on eBay a few years ago. It was trimmed but there is no question it was a steal!  ;D

I have now had the poster backed by Dario Casadei and it looks awesome! We decided not to attempt to fill in the missing parts, as I think it present totally fine without them.

So even though I am not selling it I am curious about potential value. Any guesses? For reference original linenbacked with claimed minimal retouching is currently for sale for £1,995 from Simon Dywer, and another linenbacked copy is up for $2,500 on eBay right now.
http://www.simondwyer.com/browse.php?c=41&p=1920
http://cgi.ebay.com/BARBARELLA-Psychodelic-Style-Linen-/290575741543?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item43a7a9f267

Here is mine!

Offline Mondo Hazardo

• Collector
    • MOVIE★INK. AMSTERDAM
Re: Value of this trimmed Argentinian BARBARELLA?
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2011, 12:16:37 PM »
Not much I'm afraid Lars. There's not much call for Ian(e) Fonda round these parts ...

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2011, 12:50:23 PM »
No doubt it IS a great image and all the important pieces are there.

However, I agree with Mondo that the missing piece of "J" is somewhat unsightly and it looks like at least 2-3 inches are missing all around?

I would just enjoy it for what it is (I assume that's why you bought it and then had it backed in the first place) and no worry too much about value...
Chris

Offline Mondo Hazardo

• Collector
    • MOVIE★INK. AMSTERDAM
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2011, 04:00:07 PM »
I was trying to make a joke really. I for one don't mind some loss on Jane's name.

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2011, 05:05:41 PM »
And here I thought "Ian Fonda" movies were all the rage?!
Chris

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2011, 05:24:25 PM »
"Iane Fonda" starred in a number of T Pictures productions (see upper left corner of poster)  ;)

And yet another nice backing job, too, by Dario, gotta say.  clap

« Last Edit: June 25, 2011, 05:25:24 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2011, 05:29:24 PM »
Well, Rumble...I'd say it's totally worthless.
But, instead of tossing it in the circular file, you can send it to me so that I can dispose of it properly.  wynk

Seriously, it still looks great and it's a keeper.

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2011, 05:30:16 PM »
"Iane Fonda" starred in a number of T Pictures productions (see upper left corner of poster)  ;)

Ahhh...what an appropriate name for a production company making films like Barbarella with a male lead!
Chris

Offline rumble

• Hobbyist
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2011, 05:39:20 AM »
OK, so nobody here can actually give an opinion on the value of this trimmed poster, even with references to others on the market? I just wanted some informed feedback.

Offline stewart boyle

• Hoarder
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2011, 08:41:17 AM »
OK, so nobody here can actually give an opinion on the value of this trimmed poster, even with references to others on the market? I just wanted some informed feedback.
All i could help with,the online prices are for untrimmed examples from two dealers,so imo your trimmed piece would never achieve those kinda prices,so if it was mine i would value it at the cost of the poster,plus the linen backing fees,and finally a little bit of a mark up if i was trying to sell it..
Value like most things is entirely subjective...

Stew
« Last Edit: June 26, 2011, 08:42:11 AM by stewart boyle »

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2011, 09:34:39 AM »
Hey, Rumble.
Here's one dealer a bit cheaper than Dwyer, but it doesn't specify whether it is backed or not.

http://www.atthemovies.co.uk/movie-posters/4900.html

Twenty bucks was certainly a steal a few years ago.
What is it worth now?
I would assume that trimmed (as extensively as it is) it is not worth much more than the linen-backing fee.  (BTW, how big is it in it's trimmed state, minus the LB?)

Like Stew said -- and you (a seasoned collector) already know -- value is subjective.
If you need a value, I'd suggest spending a few dollars and post it on Ebay with a BIN of $1000 and a Best Offer option and see what happens.
My two cents.

Offline rumble

• Hobbyist
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2011, 12:58:19 PM »
Thanks for these more constructive suggestions! (Yes I know that "value is subjective", but after all there is a whole valuation section here, so I guess I naively thought this was something people would discuss...)

So the overall opinion is that the trimming here basically made the poster worthless, or at most on par with the linenbacking cost? Well that is good to know. I think the poster still looks good enough and I am happy to have saved around $1800!

BTW the eBay high price / BIN suggestion is a good one, hadn't thought of that before!

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2011, 04:36:06 PM »
A reputable Latin American dealer offered me an untrimmed linen-backed Argentinian Barbarella for $1500 in mid-May.  A pretty good deal but can't afford it now.

Bruce

« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2011, 04:44:05 PM »
Lars, I would expect it might sell for around $500, give or take, if that helps any.

Bruce

Offline stewart boyle

• Hoarder
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2011, 05:04:04 PM »
Thanks for these more constructive suggestions! (Yes I know that "value is subjective", but after all there is a whole valuation section here, so I guess I naively thought this was something people would discuss...)

So the overall opinion is that the trimming here basically made the poster worthless, or at most on par with the linenbacking cost? Well that is good to know. I think the poster still looks good enough and I am happy to have saved around $1800!

BTW the eBay high price / BIN suggestion is a good one, hadn't thought of that before!
Thanks Rumble,
It`s good to know that my limted feedback,is better than no feedback at all !!
Best of luck if you decide to go the E-bay route :-)

Stew

Offline rumble

• Hobbyist
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2011, 06:51:53 PM »
Lars, I would expect it might sell for around $500, give or take, if that helps any.

Thanks Bruce, that sounds like a good ballpark figure!

I guess the effect of this much paper loss depends on the rarity of the poster, and while not super rare these don't come up every day. Now if only somebody would put up a 40x60 for $20 BIN...! :)