Author Topic: A tour of my Man Cave  (Read 8853 times)

Offline Cj

• Hobbyist
A tour of my Man Cave
« on: May 28, 2011, 08:58:58 PM »

So I changed my basement around and moved my workout room to a another area of my house. In its place I set up two desk and a third desk to use to flatten my posters as they come in. I picked up some frames from Spotlight Displays and hung some posters. Behind the louvered door is where I store all of my posters. That room is unfinished and is about 16'x20'. I plan on getting newer flat files and placing them in the main area near my desk. In addition, I am looking to change the lighting to recess lighting and upgrading my surround sound to something a little better. The basement is what my wife refers to as the man cave. This is my hang out.

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
Re: A tour of my Man Cave
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2011, 09:07:11 PM »
 clap

Great stuff CJ!

Offline CJ138

• Collector
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2011, 09:13:45 PM »
CJ, that is AWESOME!  Very well layed out and classy. Whenever I see an Oldboy poster I think of the octopus scene...Great man cave bro.
Lowering the brow of APF since 2010.

Offline archie leach

• Hoarder
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2011, 09:35:59 PM »
Very nice.  I like how the ceiling fan works with the Apocalypse Now Surf poster.

I was struck by two things:

1. That no matter how how artistic the AN Surf is, it just doesn't capture the film as well as the Bob Peak art (or even the German Brando).  Regardless, it's still a damn cool poster.

2. As much as I love the film, I will never own an Oldboy one sheet simply due to having a quote from AICN.  Those douchebags ruin everything. 

Disheveledamethyst

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2011, 09:40:58 PM »
What a fantastic arrangement. I especially love that international Prestige poster... That poster is definitely in my top three "Have-to-Haves".

Next time one of those surfaces, There Will Be Blood.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2011, 09:41:58 PM by Disheveledamethyst »

Offline Cj

• Hobbyist
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2011, 09:53:45 PM »
Thanks fellas for the comments. I was hoping it wasn't going to be too much. I tried to space the posters out as best I could.

Archie, I hate that ceiling fan. I cant wait to take it down when the electrician comes and installs recessed lighting. In fact I hate all of the lights down here. Your right about the B0 not capturing the film as well as Peaks but like you said it is a cool damn poster.

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2011, 09:57:31 PM »
Thanks fellas for the comments. I was hoping it wasn't going to be too much. I tried to space the posters out as best I could.

Im probably the last guy to ask about space as Im trying to use almost every inch of wall but it looks great . Not crowded at all.

Juli

« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2011, 10:21:14 PM »
Love the Saving Private Ryan and Inglourious Basterds posters. Makes me smile.

:)

~ Juli

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2011, 10:23:04 PM »
Awesome!  I just wish I had as much basement wall space to exploit.
Chris

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2011, 10:48:12 PM »
Excellent work CJ.  Are all your framed posters relegated to that area of your home?  If so, then that's cool that you have that whole area to do what you want with decor.  Excellent fusion of the different formats.

Offline supraman079

• Global Moderator
  • Collector
    • Supraman079's Poster Website
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2011, 11:02:32 PM »
The couch looks pretty cool.  :P

In all seriousness it looks great and that framed tatekan pimps out the whole joint.   O0

Offline kovacs01

• Global Moderator
  • Hoarder
    • My Poster Gallery
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2011, 11:04:12 PM »
Awesome stuff CJ, and great choice of display pieces.  I hope when I move that I end up with a spot like that in my house!
Schan
Thanks.  You know what you did.
My Poster Gallery

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2011, 11:28:00 PM »
In all seriousness it looks great and that framed tatekan pimps out the whole joint.   O0

It plays a part for sure.

CJ is that a Spotlight D frame?

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2011, 11:31:22 PM »
Howard the Duck, huh?  That takes balls my friend!  Cheers to you for being so bold!  ;)

Love that AN B0. The Peak is great movie poster, but the the B0 is a damn work of art!

Offline Cj

• Hobbyist
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2011, 11:51:23 PM »
Thanks again all!

Neo, No posters are allowed anywhere else in the house. When my wife and I bought the house around 8 years ago, it was predetermined that the basement will always be mine and i could do what I want with it.

Chad, leave my couch alone.  >:( You wish you had a couch as sexy as mine.

Zorba, Yeah, it is a Spotlight frame. All but 3 frames are spotlights.

Harry, yeah Howard the duck, the poster makes me laugh. It's filler for the Polish frame until I get an AP Now or an Escape From NY.

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2011, 03:33:05 AM »
 clap What a great space CJ, Very tastefully done. Do you even use the rest of the house...
It's more than a Hobby...

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2011, 04:22:54 AM »
Very nice, CJ... your spacing and placement allow for enjoyment and makes it easy on the eyes, to appreciate each poster for what they are, with appropriate amounts of wall space in between. Your overhead lighting and those in the backlit frames all pop.

Truly a classy way to display one's posters!   clap clap

Jeff

-Jeff

Offline Ed_209uk

• Hobbyist
    • Film on Paper
« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2011, 07:28:59 AM »
Incredible man cave CJ! All are great posters too.
My collection website: Film on Paper
Twitter: @filmonpaper

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2011, 07:52:59 AM »
Great layout CJ!  Proof that the married guys can negotiate a reasonable way to display their posters.  Love the lightboxes too.  I've also been looking for the Prestige international OS.

P.S. Is that a Polish "Howard the Duck"?

« Last Edit: May 29, 2011, 07:56:32 AM by Dread_Pirate_Mel »

Online Tob

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2011, 08:40:42 AM »
Your man cave is most excellent! I don't think I'd ever bother going up to ground level! Loving a lot of those posters, I've been after one of those Lady Vengeance posters for a while. What is that Grindhouse poster you have? I've not seen that before.

Avatar one sheet looks really nice in a light box, are light boxes pricey in the US?

I do think you have too many cool posters though, if I PM you my address, please feel free to send me your Lost in Translation B1 to even things out a bit :D

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #20 on: May 29, 2011, 08:43:54 AM »
So it's settled then, the first All Poster Forum get together is at CJ's place. ;D
It's more than a Hobby...

Disheveledamethyst

« Reply #21 on: May 29, 2011, 11:48:01 AM »
So it's settled then, the first All Poster Forum get together is at CJ's place. ;D

Oh, are we doing that? Because I'm already recruiting for my break in.

Offline Cj

• Hobbyist
« Reply #22 on: May 29, 2011, 11:52:45 AM »
Thanks Paul, Jeff, Ed, Tobin and Mel.

Tobin, the light boxes I built using spotlight Display frames with the help from Holidays and his website. They cost me about $275.00 a piece to build.

Mel, that is a Polish Howard the Duck.

Paul, Sounds great - Poster party at my crib. All APF members invited. I'll send out some Chirashi sized invitations. Just for Harry I will be sure to use the polish Howard the Duck image on his invitation.

Offline Cj

• Hobbyist
« Reply #23 on: May 29, 2011, 11:56:26 AM »
Oh, are we doing that? Because I'm already recruiting for my break in.

You can try Anthony but the room where these are stored are under lock and key with a security system, a dog and me with a few guns protecting them. Did i add that I'm also a ninja...go to the "pics of everyone" section and just look at my eyes...

Offline holiday

• Thierry's Nightmare a/k/a King Slut
  • Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
« Reply #24 on: May 30, 2011, 12:05:23 AM »
How the Hell do our women put up with us?

Really nice, Cj.  I though I had a lot of room, but you've really got yourself more of a man-grotto than a man-cave.

H
Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery

"What happened to all the people?" Mystified MPF Member, February 20, 2010

"I actually quite like the name Peanut."  Andy Neal on MOPO, April 22, 2010

Thierry:  Type the word APF on MPF and it spells: "Banned due to malicious unsolicited private message ".

Charlie to the guy who lost to EatBrie:  You just got "T-boned"!  Happens to the best of us...  Wait until you get "Holidazed"!

Thierry to Silhouette:  Please tell her it's a tiny part of my collection so she doesn't think I'm a total creep.  Oh wait, no, I am a total creep.