Author Topic: Post-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....  (Read 2836890 times)

Offline Ari

• Curator
    • OFFALEATERS HOUSE OF THE DAMNED
Re: Post-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....
« Reply #475 on: June 03, 2010, 10:52:48 PM »
I have never been right, I even dress to the left. Cripes, I play cricket left handed. Right, wrong, I don’t care. Lets all be friends, and by the way I know a good bargain on ebay…….
An Error Has Occurred!
You can't report your own post to the moderator, that doesn't make sense!

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #476 on: June 03, 2010, 10:54:14 PM »
Ari, you're lying - you don't play cricket with your left because you don't play cricket at all ;)
Chris

Carson

« Reply #477 on: June 03, 2010, 10:55:10 PM »
and by the way Carson, he's an attorney.. he looks for valid arguments to win his case. So do you and so do I.. I'm not an attorney, are you?? Isn't this how they taught you to debate in high school and college??

Thanks for the tip, Rich. Those more familiar with Mel than yourself (ie, everyone here) know what Mel does for a living. But thanks.

Everyone on the forum knows what Mel does because Mel used to have "Lawyer from D.C." printed below his avatar per each post.  thumbup
I've always wondered why Holiday or Er(ot)ic don't do the same in announcing their profession?
Perhaps you have that answer too, Mr. Richard L. Anus?

Carson

« Reply #478 on: June 03, 2010, 10:56:56 PM »
As I've said, I honestly feel the matter of mid-auction debate has been raised three separate times in this thread, essentially, because Mel is single. I sincerely feel you, Richard, and Mel should both look into marriage (women or each other). And I've explained this: I like Mel, he's eccentric, funny and one of the best parts of stopping by but , yes, I do, at times, find it amazing he's licensed to practice given his frequently inept debate and reaching methods. (reaching from his backside, method, that is).

Offline ddilts399

• Hoarder
    • .5% of my collection online
« Reply #479 on: June 03, 2010, 11:02:43 PM »
Hows my signature look, I didnt realize you could add one.

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #480 on: June 03, 2010, 11:03:07 PM »
As I've said, I honestly feel the matter of mid-auction debate has been raised three separate times in this thread, essentially, because Mel is single. I sincerely feel you, Richard, and Mel should both look into marriage (women or each other). And I've explained this: I like Mel, he's eccentric, funny and one of the best parts of stopping by but , yes, I do, at times, find it amazing he's licensed to practice given his frequently inept debate and reaching methods. (reaching from his backside, method, that is).

Carson, my feeling is that if she's making me coffee in the morning.. she's overstayed her welcome. This is gained from the experience of  marriage (1) live-in girlfriends (several) temporary stay girlfriends (lost count) and the warm fuzzy feeling of being able to watch football without interuption or the ability to display a Russ Meyer poster without comment..

ps: I know I'd have the same feeling about Mel if he was making me coffee

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #481 on: June 03, 2010, 11:03:14 PM »
Well one thing can certainly be learned from this thread - don't frequent poster forums if you are looking for an ego/self-esteem boost  :-*
Chris

wonka

« Reply #482 on: June 03, 2010, 11:05:58 PM »
Hilarious, Dale.

Now you need to get "LAWYER" or "LAWMAN" on your plates, then you are all set.

Offline supraman079

• Global Moderator
  • Collector
    • Supraman079's Poster Website
« Reply #483 on: June 03, 2010, 11:08:33 PM »
Hows my signature look, I didnt realize you could add one.

LOL - learn something new everyday.

Offline ddilts399

• Hoarder
    • .5% of my collection online
« Reply #484 on: June 03, 2010, 11:13:18 PM »
oooo and it changes on the fly

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #485 on: June 03, 2010, 11:40:05 PM »
After thinking about my original vote: no restrictions should apply, I feel the need to rescind my original vote.  If something really bothers someone, I generally do not do it.  In this case, if discussing current auctions offends, irritates, annoys, etc. some people, then I will not discuss current auctions. 

When the posters in current auctions are discussed, there may be competition like this  :D

• Post-aholic
« Reply #486 on: June 03, 2010, 11:45:58 PM »
After thinking about my original vote: no restrictions should apply, I feel the need to rescind my original vote.  If something really bothers someone, I generally do not do it.  In this case, if discussing current auctions offends, irritates, annoys, etc. some people, then I will not discuss current auctions. 
When the posters in current auctions are discussed, there may be competition like this  :D

hey.. he even talked about Lick Anus!!!

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder

-------

Carson

« Reply #487 on: June 04, 2010, 12:10:52 AM »
so Carson, are you saying that you cannot answer why youthink your wish to keep something secret trumps my rights to say what I choose?? That surprises me as I think you are a reasonably intelligent person.
concerning Jeff Rosen and Echo Potokar, I suggest you look to see who started what before you choose to hold up anything as evidence of anything.

You miss the point repeatedly just as Mel. It has non to do with a "right" Rich. Others have attempted to explain this to you as well.
Kovacs, Ben, Dale, Brude, Chris, Chad, myself and others have all explained It's a simple courtesy paid other collectors. An extremely simple concept yet you still wiggle.

My mention re: your arguing with Jeff P. and Jeff R. was your known language and name calling on NSF and MoPo in light of your comically-artful attempts to suggest to others here how to speak.

• Post-aholic
« Reply #488 on: June 04, 2010, 12:32:15 AM »
You miss the point repeatedly just as Mel. It has non to do with a "right" Rich. Others have attempted to explain this to you as well.
Kovacs, Ben, Dale, Brude, Chris, Chad, myself and others have all explained It's a simple courtesy paid other collectors. An extremely simple concept yet you still wiggle.

so what you're saying is that because you believe it's not politically correct as far as you're concerned, I should agree with you? At least you did answer the question, but I do not agree with you.

My mention re: your arguing with Jeff P. and Jeff R. was your known language and name calling on NSF and MoPo in light of your comically-artful attempts to suggest to others here how to speak.

again, you do no research.. I suggest you go back and read any such threads in full and not focus on my responses before you hold up anything as exemplification of anything because you clearly have not if that's the bent you get from either situation.

-------

Carson

« Reply #489 on: June 04, 2010, 12:34:11 AM »
Rich, again, your point is to contend, not to listen.

We've all read your view, many times over, and it's well understood. Others simply view the matter differently.

• Post-aholic
« Reply #490 on: June 04, 2010, 12:42:19 AM »
Rish, again, your point is to contend, not to listen.

no Carson, you don't understand.. I hear you entirely BUT I DON'T FUCKING AGREE WITH YOU.

I don't agree with the concept that because one of you might be bidding on something I can't talk about it. period. You don't understand that point. If anyone on this list wishes to decide the issue definitively, that person is Holiday as he is the list owner. Ari wouldn't ban it on NSFGE and I know that Scott Burns wouldn't ban it on MoPo. It isn't banned on the biggest collector's forum in the world (CGC boards) in any area of the fields they cover from coins to comics where as I said previously, coverage of items generally goes from coming to current to finished listings and that is no matter what the value. many collectors in teh original art forum ask advice on items they're going to bid on as a amatter of fact. So here on allposter is the only time I have ever even heard of a discussion of this subject

and stop trying to be  a condescending schmuck.

-------

Carson

« Reply #491 on: June 04, 2010, 12:43:45 AM »
It's not "me" saying anything, Rich. It's 5 separate people trying to explain something most basic to you.
And those are just the ones who've tried to address your misunderstanding that it's a "right".  
Even more have expressed the view they'd rather wait until an auction ends before discussing it.

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #492 on: June 04, 2010, 12:58:17 AM »
Now seems like a good time for a game of darts.... 

Offline holiday

• Thierry's Nightmare a/k/a King Slut
  • Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
« Reply #493 on: June 04, 2010, 01:01:22 AM »
You're a sick little man, Ted.vv ;D
Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery

"What happened to all the people?" Mystified MPF Member, February 20, 2010

"I actually quite like the name Peanut."  Andy Neal on MOPO, April 22, 2010

Thierry:  Type the word APF on MPF and it spells: "Banned due to malicious unsolicited private message ".

Charlie to the guy who lost to EatBrie:  You just got "T-boned"!  Happens to the best of us...  Wait until you get "Holidazed"!

Thierry to Silhouette:  Please tell her it's a tiny part of my collection so she doesn't think I'm a total creep.  Oh wait, no, I am a total creep.

• Post-aholic
« Reply #494 on: June 04, 2010, 02:05:17 AM »
It's not "me" saying anything, Rich. It's 5 separate people trying to explain something most basic to you.
And those are just the ones who've tried to address your misunderstanding that it's a "right". 
Even more have expressed the view they'd rather wait until an auction ends before discussing it.

and that's their prerogative Carson - to think what THEY wish to think. It's sad that you believe anyone who doesn't agree with you is wrong.. I'm not wrong, I have a different point of view than you do. Obviously your objectivity is lacking and all you see is your subjective opinion. Thankfully Holiday - the forum's co-owner - has weighed in on the matter and not surprisingly, he seems to agree with me that it is censorship. Also thankfully, you are just a moderator and before you would be able to put in place any such rule, or take a poll on the issue that would have any chance of ratification - you would need to discuss it with Holiday and it doesn't seem as if you would prevail on the issue.

-------

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #495 on: June 04, 2010, 12:15:15 PM »
and that's their prerogative Carson - to think what THEY wish to think. It's sad that you believe anyone who doesn't agree with you is wrong.. I'm not wrong, I have a different point of view than you do. Obviously your objectivity is lacking and all you see is your subjective opinion. Thankfully Holiday - the forum's co-owner - has weighed in on the matter and not surprisingly, he seems to agree with me that it is censorship. Also thankfully, you are just a moderator and before you would be able to put in place any such rule, or take a poll on the issue that would have any chance of ratification - you would need to discuss it with Holiday and it doesn't seem as if you would prevail on the issue.

Yes, Rich, it's unfortunate that certain members here refuse to engage in civil discourse and invariably resort to personal insults and start "flame wars" to intimidate their opponents.  Ain't nothing new.

Carson clearly violated his own principle by trumpeting and hyping a "unicorn" auction.  It was not a cursory reference - as I recall, he live-blogged it for 30 minutes or so (through the end of the extended bidding period), although most of those postings have now disappeared.

The Alamo comparison is not perfect but still appropriate.  It's reasonable to contend that "BUY THIS RIGHT NOW!" postings on these forums generate a fair percentage of Alamo's sales and reduce the time period they are available, which forces interested buyers to obtain them from evil Ebay "flipppers."  Of course, those sales are also driven by other sources, Twitter, etc.  But the point is still valid.

My position has been consistent:  High profile/high dollar auctions that everybody knows about anyway should be fair game for discussion, particularly when they are being discussed on other forums and are heavily promoted by the seller.  Why ignore the 800 pound gorilla?  Conversely, low profile/low dollar auctions should NOT be discussed to give diligent buyers/searchers a fair shot at getting a bargain.

Anyway, will someone please set up a straightforward poll that will settle the issue once and for all?
« Last Edit: June 04, 2010, 12:34:06 PM by Dread_Pirate_Mel »

Bruce

« Reply #496 on: June 04, 2010, 12:23:37 PM »
I completely agree with you Mel. The bottom line here is that people find a cool item they have no personal interest in in an obscure auction, and they "out it" but they would NEVER do so if they were interested in bidding themselves.

And because such people almost always have the ability to talk out of both sides of their mouth at once, they also scream like a stuck pig when someone else outs some item THEY are interested in!

Bruce

Carson

« Reply #497 on: June 04, 2010, 05:19:55 PM »
Yes, Rich, it's unfortunate that certain members here refuse to engage in civil discourse and invariably resort to personal insults and start "flame wars" to intimidate their opponents.  Ain't nothing new.

Carson clearly violated his own principle by trumpeting and hyping a "unicorn" auction.  It was not a cursory reference - as I recall, he live-blogged it for 30 minutes or so (through the end of the extended bidding period), although most of those postings have now disappeared.

I understand you skip posts, Mel, but you may want to read back previous to posting. I've explained in just the last two pages, as well as three months ago here the LIT poster I linked with 2 minutes until close last March wasn't ideal; a singular instance, not a habit. I posted a single auction three months ago, with 2 minutes remaining, and your still touting it as though somehow relevant or reflects my current view. The Poll is up, vote before Rich tries to smoke it.

• Post-aholic
« Reply #498 on: June 04, 2010, 08:22:45 PM »
to move this back a step to the very beginning of this thread, I was thinking last night how since I sold that Ferris Buehler international style in January, followed up by John Reid's set sale of one immediately thereafter, I don't believe another copy has surfaced. Not at Heritage nor at Bruce and certainly not fleabay.

If I decide to put out my keeper copy, I wonder if anyone will chat it up during the auction (if ever I decide to sell it)

-------

Offline marklawd

• Hoarder
« Reply #499 on: June 04, 2010, 09:51:22 PM »
That's because its a very rare poster. The proof is that market forces couldn't flush out any more even with two sales in excess of $1000 each. I don't think an auction would be "chatted up" because I am sure it features on a lot of "secret" want lists of members here.

I would never publicise an auction I was interested in nor seek clarification of the description or authenticity. I would rather rely on my personal judgement in the hope of buying an original at a low price. I normally get the authenticity right but sometimes I overpay. I have never publicised an auction I wasn't interested in mid-sale either although on occasion I have emailed individuals privately who I knew would be interested. I will readily admit however that I have won posters I didn't previously know about because an on-going auction was mentioned in a thread and I was grateful for that information being made public. Some collectors need to seek public reassurance about an ongoing auction - they run the risk of widening the market demand for it but if considered opinions are offered by other members they may gain the confidence to bid appropriately and win the auction. I agree with Holiday - I do not see why they should not have the freedom to post in this way - so long as it is in the appropriate thread.

Mark