Author Topic: Post-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....  (Read 2837112 times)

Carson

Re: Post-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....
« Reply #450 on: June 03, 2010, 09:58:16 PM »
Great points all around Chris wynk

Regarding counselor clueless, Rich. Mel's priority is typically the win not facts. He grabs at what straws are available, reaching for points that are ultimately pointless; just as comparing my post to say there are 2 minutes left in auction to posting a mid week auction and his limp attempt bringing up Alamo posters  eyeroll 15 year olds on my highschool's debate team could debate more effectively.

Offline ddilts399

• Hoarder
    • .5% of my collection online
« Reply #451 on: June 03, 2010, 10:01:53 PM »
oh censorship my ass. it is being considerate to others.

Ari, I feel like there should be a hymn being sung when I read your posts lately, get out some alcohol and relax a little, we all know it is paper but if I had the option of 2 pieces of paper for 10.00 or 1 for 10.00 I would have the 2 even if it is bonus buy toilet paper.

How about we start a new thread "HERE IS MY WANT LIST, POST LINKS TO AUCTIONS WITH TITLES ON IT SO EVERYONE ELSE CAN BID ON IT".

Is it really that hard to be considerate to others or am I lost? There is a difference between someone dropping me a mail saying "dale I saw poster I know you wanted, (lick pushy) currently has one for sale, thought you might like to know" and hey everybody here is a Mark of the Vampire daybill for 5.00.

Offline kovacs01

• Global Moderator
  • Hoarder
    • My Poster Gallery
« Reply #452 on: June 03, 2010, 10:02:00 PM »
You know Rich, I really do respect both sides.  And mostly, I could care less.  The places I generally buy dont get outed and I have never had it happened to me.

But man, the "we should be allowed to do it because its our right as free speech to do so" argument really tastes like anus.  Basically, you are saying that you want to do it just because you can and from what i can tell because it causes consternation to others.  It does nothing really to explain what enjoyment you gain (except when its your own auction, obviously) or what gains are made by the forum as a community.

Ultimately, the we can do it because our rights say we can is a viable argument, but it is also a prety petty and ineffective way to make a point.
Schan
Thanks.  You know what you did.
My Poster Gallery

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #453 on: June 03, 2010, 10:03:01 PM »
Regarding counselor clueless, Rich.

Carson, this is exactly how people avoid a discussion. They don't answer the real questions and call the other side clueless, or that the other side has unknown motives (Mel wants to win). I'm not trying to win anything, so I have no unknown motives, I just want to know why your personal interest in saving money trumps my inalienable free speech rights. That's all. You should be able to put forth a cohesive argument, or you should admit that there is no justifiable reason why that should be so. I look at the question as simple, to the point, direct and honest. You should be able to answer it in kind.

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #454 on: June 03, 2010, 10:05:01 PM »
wow, we need live chat,

That would be great!  :)

Its pretty fun reading as is though.  ;D

• Post-aholic
« Reply #455 on: June 03, 2010, 10:06:36 PM »
You know Rich, I really do respect both sides.  And mostly, I could care less.  The places I generally buy dont get outed and I have never had it happened to me.

But man, the "we should be allowed to do it because its our right as free speech to do so" argument really tastes like anus.  Basically, you are saying that you want to do it just because you can and from what i can tell because it causes consternation to others.  It does nothing really to explain what enjoyment you gain (except when its your own auction, obviously) or what gains are made by the forum as a community.

Ultimately, the we can do it because our rights say we can is a viable argument, but it is also a prety petty and ineffective way to make a point.

Kovacs.. anyone wanting to censor me has to have justifiable reasons..
considering that I'm not aware that I ever outed any auctions (lick anus posters or not) obviously I'm only interested in why my rights should be voided to favor someone else's point of view. Sorry if it's my ACLU donating side talking.

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder

-------

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #456 on: June 03, 2010, 10:07:40 PM »
so you're saying that if I post a comment that Lick anus is selling Lick anus on Lick anus, that I actually know anus??so you're saying that if I post a comment that Lick anus is selling Lick anus on Lick anus, that I actually know anus??  laugh1

Rich, I do not wish to comment on your anal knowledge but please feel free to divulge should you feel the need (just make sure you've got some Cottonelle handy)
Chris

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #457 on: June 03, 2010, 10:08:54 PM »
As Schan pointed out earlier, the thread is titled "POST-Auction Analysis."
If someone wants to post a live auction for discussion on APF, they should post it in the FOR SALE / AUCTION section, right?

• Post-aholic
« Reply #458 on: June 03, 2010, 10:09:13 PM »
(just make sure you've got some Cottonelle handy)

you know what they say about toilet paper don't you Chris??

every asshole needs some

qip

[sidebar joke: a gal walks into the living room to chat with her husband.
she: Honey.. I want bigger boobies.. can I get a boob job?
he: that costs money. I understand that if you put toilet paper between your breasts, it makes them get bigger.
she: how do you know that??
he: well it sure worked with your ass]

-------

• Post-aholic
« Reply #459 on: June 03, 2010, 10:09:59 PM »
As Schan pointed out earlier, the thread is titled "POST-Auction Analysis."
If someone wants to posts a live auction for discussion on APF, they should post it in the SALE / AUCTION center, right?

no, it should be in discussion as it wishes to be discussed.. at least by some
it doesn't belong in this thread ultimately, but the issue is that some wish it to disappear entirely Ted

-------

Carson

« Reply #460 on: June 03, 2010, 10:12:25 PM »
Don't reach for points, Rich. I've read your absurd MoPo rants, name calling to Jeff Potakar, name calling Jeff Rosen. The worst language and name calling I've ever heard on these forums is from you so spare us. And spare us your non sense "censorship" plea.

Offline kovacs01

• Global Moderator
  • Hoarder
    • My Poster Gallery
« Reply #461 on: June 03, 2010, 10:13:53 PM »
Kovacs.. anyone wanting to censor me has to have justifiable reasons..
considering that I'm not aware that I ever outed any auctions (lick anus posters or not) obviously I'm only interested in why my rights should be voided to favor someone else's point of view. Sorry if it's my ACLU donating side talking.

No one was looking to censor you Rich, what we had in this thread was commonly called a gentleman's agreement.  Since you seem to be fond of gambling analogies, it is kinda like the chop agreement that goes at most tables when it is folded around to the big and small blind.  Now we all know that its not something that anyone is forced to do, but common courtesy at a poker table dictates it.  Of course, you always have that guy that has aces and refuses.  Invariably, he loses alot of money in the pot, along with the respect of the rest of the table.
Schan
Thanks.  You know what you did.
My Poster Gallery

Offline Ari

• Curator
    • OFFALEATERS HOUSE OF THE DAMNED
« Reply #462 on: June 03, 2010, 10:19:07 PM »
I can see why people (buyers) would think outing an auction may cause them to loose $. But really, look at whatever auction you have seen outed, and wanted to bid, compare the bidders to members of this or another forum, who may have read about it.
Then think, if they (member who may have read or not) wanted it more than you, and was willing to pay more than you, how is that bad?
Its an auction, it’s the whole point,,  whoever wants it most, can afford it, willing to pay, WINS!
Its kinda nice to spread the word, someone may have missed it, and wants it.
Plus, its bits of paper. It aint air, food, water, shelter.
An Error Has Occurred!
You can't report your own post to the moderator, that doesn't make sense!

• Post-aholic
« Reply #463 on: June 03, 2010, 10:19:25 PM »
so Carson, are you saying that you cannot answer why youthink your wish to keep something secret trumps my rights to say what I choose?? That surprises me as I think you are a reasonably intelligent person. Why do you get into a discussion if you wish to run from teh serious questions?

and concerning Jeff Rosen and Echo Potokar, I suggest you look to see who started what before you choose to hold up anything as evidence of anything.

But back to the issue.. will you or will you not answer that one over-riding question?

and by the way folks.. There is no reason for anyone on any side of any debate to take anything personally. You debate in good faith your position and you walk away from it the same friends you walk into it. I don't know why you (Carson) feels the need to act otherwise here.

-------

Offline ddilts399

• Hoarder
« Reply #464 on: June 03, 2010, 10:22:40 PM »
Slow down a little, I have to fix my F5 key from tonights conversations.

• Post-aholic
« Reply #465 on: June 03, 2010, 10:22:58 PM »
No one was looking to censor you Rich, what we had in this thread was commonly called a gentleman's agreement.  Since you seem to be fond of gambling analogies, it is kinda like the chop agreement that goes at most tables when it is folded around to the big and small blind.  Now we all know that its not something that anyone is forced to do, but common courtesy at a poker table dictates it.  Of course, you always have that guy that has aces and refuses.  Invariably, he loses alot of money in the pot, along with the respect of the rest of the table.

Kovacs.. I believe that chopping the blinds is a mistake and I never do it. Whatever the outcome of a hand is is what the outcome is and it is not affected by whether you do or do not chop. After all, I'm trying to get heads-up 90% of the time anyway.. why would I want to end a hand when I am now in that position. I'm happy to surrender my blind or continue to play as the hand warrants it. I don't care if the house rakes the pot- there has to be money out there for that to happen. But I also do not chop this time and not the next time.. that's an asshole's way.

-------

wonka

« Reply #466 on: June 03, 2010, 10:25:37 PM »
Thought I would chime in here, seems like a good time, and to take a break from my Cinevent opus which has been more time consuming than I first envisioned, but I feel well worth it.

Generally, I think this debate/argument should not even take place, its that silly.  Here's why...

First and foremost, what is the point or rush to talk about a poster that is still for sale via a live auction?  Why?  Is it that pressing, to talk about it ASAP instead of in a few days?  So we can have a conversation like this I guess:

Original post- "Check this poster out, how crazy is this! (insert link)"

First response- "Yeah, that's crazy."

Second response-"I think its a fair price so far."

Third response- "I don't, I wouldn't pay half that for a Star Wars cake."

And so forth.  How riveting.  Ultimately, its not even necessary in the first place.  Wanna talk about a poster?  Great!  Wait till it ends, like the thread title lays out to begin with.  This seems like common sense to me.

I second Dale, and what I was thinking over the past few days as I was reading this was its about courtesy, plain and simple.  

Rich, this is a forum for a hobby, in this case posters.  Its not some social issues or political platform to sound off...so the whole censorship thing is a bit silly and over-dramatic in this case.  That soapbox has nothing to do with this or this forum, IMO.

Ari, with your laid back "whatever" attitude, I am sure we could share many evenings on the porch with a few drinks and laughing over stories, poster related and not...we seem to have the same general demeanor, my friend.  But in this case, I think you are missing it completely.  It's not "just paper, bid or not", its people perhaps paying too much and perhaps losing out on poster that they might not have out of the group who was initially privy to that particular auction.

One person deciding an auction can be 'outed' because it hits a magical number is inane on every level...poster budgets are all over, and not one person and his/her respective budget is more important than the other in terms of courtesy and all deserve the same respect as the next.

Let's respect others in the sense that linking to live auctions could potentially cost people money and posters, and simply not do it.  Seems like the neighborly thing to do.  My two cents...or three.

Carson

« Reply #467 on: June 03, 2010, 10:30:46 PM »
Rich, I don't mean disrespect so much as humor when I call Mel counselor clueless. I do so because he's notorious for reaching for non-nonsensical points in attempt to feel 'won' despite the facts.

Read Mel's post below from this very thread for example.

Holiday, thanks for pinning this thread but should we be discussing PENDING timed auctions?  That's why I titled it "POST-AUCTION." Everybody is looking for a good deal and "to the finder should go the spoils" - half the fun of this hobby is finding stellar deals.  Discussing pending auctions "let's the cat out of the bag" and can dramatically increase the final price.  

I would suggest that is OK to discuss pending "high profile" auctions like the Heritage Metropolis auction but lower-profile auction discussions should be delayed until the conclusion of the auction. If you don't want the poster yourself, you should PM those who might be interested, rather than publicly announcing it.  Of course, that principle should not apply to sellers, who can promote their auctions as they desire.

Again, that's just my opinion.  Anybody agree or disagree?

• Post-aholic
« Reply #468 on: June 03, 2010, 10:35:23 PM »
okay well all you're exemplifying is that Mel agrees any such chat should not be part of this thread.. something on which I agree. Now you'll have to convince me why it should not be chatted about in any other thread.

By the way, on the CGC comics board, what IS being auctioned are the most common threads which then evolve into "post-auction" threads. They start with a current item & move to closed. There's alot more money involved there.. believe me.

-------

Carson

« Reply #469 on: June 03, 2010, 10:36:39 PM »
Or in a style Mel can better appreciate:

• Post-aholic
« Reply #470 on: June 03, 2010, 10:36:55 PM »
and by the way Carson, he's an attorney.. he looks for valid arguments to win his case. So do you and so do I.. I'm not an attorney, are you?? Isn't this how they taught you to debate in high school and college??

-------

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #471 on: June 03, 2010, 10:41:45 PM »
You guys were taught how to debate in school?!  Wow - the Canadian education system must be lacking...

I learned everything I need to know about debating from internet poster forums.

Oh and from my fiance (where I learned that I am always wrong)
Chris

Offline ddilts399

• Hoarder
« Reply #472 on: June 03, 2010, 10:45:22 PM »
Hey, I have always considered myself a masterdebator. What exactly is this emoticon doing anyway  moron1

wonka

« Reply #473 on: June 03, 2010, 10:45:30 PM »
I don't think a vocation should instill more or less weight on a thread/post/point's argument or otherwise.

After this latest hypocrisy and insensibility from Mel, and Holiday's f-bomb temper tantrums, I think the fields of Law are hitting 0 for 2.

(Holiday, high five!)  :)  It's all good..

Offline ddilts399

• Hoarder
« Reply #474 on: June 03, 2010, 10:51:20 PM »
So post auction only wins then right?