Author Topic: Post-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....  (Read 2837768 times)

Online Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
Re: Post-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....
« Reply #400 on: June 02, 2010, 05:01:21 PM »
My vote: No restrictions should apply.

Offline kovacs01

• Global Moderator
  • Hoarder
    • My Poster Gallery
« Reply #401 on: June 02, 2010, 05:07:01 PM »
Well, as a person who has on a few occasions broken that $1000 mark that some feel no longer qualifies a auction to be secret, I would say that we stick to the title of the thread.  POST-auction.  I know it kills you Mel to wait an extra 6 days sometimes, but its reallythe only courteous thing.
Schan
Thanks.  You know what you did.
My Poster Gallery

Offline ddilts399

• Hoarder
    • .5% of my collection online
« Reply #402 on: June 02, 2010, 06:24:24 PM »
I agree, POST only, and I cant believe anyone outs anything. Must not like getting decent deals on stuff cause once you out a seller that had something sneak through, if they ever post more stuff, everyone is on it.

If you need help on something, privately PM someone you trust to help you get answers to your concerns.

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #403 on: June 02, 2010, 06:49:25 PM »
my vote: 4) No restrictions should apply

this is a Forum and the context of a forum is OPEN DISCUSSION

to not be able to talk about an auction listing of any kind is A FORM OF CENSORSHIP

while I would agree that rancorous name calling should be deleted and lies about other people whoever they are, censorship should end at that point

to go further, I welcome anyone who outs any auction I might be interested in!
You may have seen something I missed
to show I really mean it, I collect all things Raymond Chandler, gambling imagery, Harryhausen, Erich Von Stroheim, Fritz Lang and pre-1940 material.. If you folks see any.. please post it here.. it will save me ebay search time

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #404 on: June 02, 2010, 07:46:17 PM »
my vote: 4) No restrictions should apply

Since you are the oldest...Are you the oldest? I dont know why but I get that idea.... Anyway I agree with you.  I like when Mel posts about auctions. While not directly, Its lead me down paths that have led me to a couple of posters  :)

Offline Ari

• Curator
    • OFFALEATERS HOUSE OF THE DAMNED
« Reply #405 on: June 02, 2010, 07:55:42 PM »
I dont undersstand why people get upset, or maybe I do, but cripes, its on the web, for sale, bid what you want an be happy if you win, I think this "outing" auction scandal is crazy. Anyone can search ebay or MPB, when I was buying a lot I scrolled through every page. Id say its pretty rare a good item, underpriced, isnt noticed - which is what people are complaining about
- I WANT THIS POSTER ITS CHEAP, I AM ANGRY BECAUSE SOMEONE ON A FORUM OUTED IT.
Buy it or not, food is more important, its just PAPER!
An Error Has Occurred!
You can't report your own post to the moderator, that doesn't make sense!

Carson

« Reply #406 on: June 02, 2010, 08:09:53 PM »
With respect, Mel and Zorba are relatively very new collectors and Rich a professional auctioneer. I'm a bit more curious as to what longer term collectors feel. And my bet is the answer will be near unanimous once they post, if they do. I, literally, know not one collector who wants to have their poster auction linked during bidding. Do you, Ari? Does anyone? I find it a very easy courtesy to wait a few days for discussion.

Rich and Mel have been the two most vocal about what I see as a pretty minor matter and easy courtesy -- although we're awaiting your open letter to MoPo on the matter, Rich. Perhaps we should listen to views on posting mid-auction auctions from collectors as opposed to full time auctioneers.

Between Mel and Rich the only logic put forth so far as to why posting current auctions is a good idea is: "hey, I may want to bid on it!". The very reason collectors don't want their poster auctions posted mid auction. Collectors, in my experience, don't want their current auctions broadcasted to a poster forum. A collector, knowing he's not going to bid on the item, imposing three minutes of fleeting poster-talk fun on a live auction that may result in a collector adding $5, $50, $500 to his price tag doesn't weigh in well against the chance of saving a collector money. It doesn't weigh at all, in fact..

• Post-aholic
« Reply #407 on: June 02, 2010, 08:45:40 PM »
Carson, I've been a collector as well as a dealer all my life and I'll bet dimes to dollars that I spend more $$ each year on my own collection than the majority of people on this group or any other. I don't care if everyone on the planet knows about something.. as long as I have a fair shot, I have no complaints and that's mostly because I am very pragmatic and I recognize that if I never get a Murder My Sweet 3 sheet or a Raymond Chandler signed first edition of Big Sleep, my life is not going to end because of it

Like gambling, if I want to win the pot, I have to put the money up. If someone else wants it more.. let them have at it and let the best bidder win. If it isn't me.. so what!!

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder

-------

• Post-aholic
« Reply #408 on: June 02, 2010, 08:45:58 PM »
and Zorba.. Bruce is older than I am
cheers

-------

Offline ddilts399

• Hoarder
    • .5% of my collection online
« Reply #409 on: June 02, 2010, 08:50:36 PM »
This is how I feel when it happens to something I was watching:

First I feel this hitself and say to myself "AGAIN, really?" , then I move to this  pctrash.

Carson, I couldn't have stated it any better, really. Rich, that is your dealer side talking not the collector side, why would you not want to save money. Do you give the house back the money they gave you if they payout on a losing hand?

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #410 on: June 02, 2010, 09:06:41 PM »
For what it's worth...I vote for Post-auction discussion only.

It's not like everyone is going to follow the rules regardless...
Chris

• Post-aholic
« Reply #411 on: June 02, 2010, 09:11:34 PM »
No Dale, it is not my dealer side talking.. It's my pragmatic side talking. Pragmatism is something you gain more of as you get older.. To quote Dan Haggerty "When you lose passion, you gain wisdom". The meaning of his statement of course being that as you age, you realize that many things are not as important as you used to think they were..

I would love to get a Blue Dahlia 1sheet.. It always goes for more than I'm willing to pay, and so I do not have one. One day I may get lucky & find one at a price I'll pay.. If not, my ghost will not roam the Earth until one of my descendents courageously saves my soul from ever-lasting hell. rather, I will go peacefully with the knowledge of what I have had in the past or have at that moment and I will not cry out on my deathbed "dammit, I never got that Blue Dahlia". Believe me, at that moment.. it isn't what I'm going to be thinking about.

-------

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #412 on: June 02, 2010, 09:14:01 PM »
Believe me, at that moment.. it isn't what I'm going to be thinking about.

That's only because thinking about boobies is just too encompassing ;)
Chris

• Post-aholic
« Reply #413 on: June 02, 2010, 09:20:47 PM »
That's only because thinking about boobies is just too encompassing ;)

and so much more important than any movie poster could ever be
I just hope my face is buried in between a pair of tits when I take my last breath, even if it's by suffocation!!

-------

Offline Ari

• Curator
« Reply #414 on: June 02, 2010, 11:11:15 PM »
I agree with Rich, end of the day, PAY WHAT YOU CAN AFFORD AND THINK ITS WORTH, nobody is stealing from you, An example, I wanted, as I know another member here did, a MUMMY  (hammer) daybill took me years. I saw them up and backed out when it got too high, finally, years later I got one for the price I COULD AFFORD and THOUGHT IT WAS WORTH (to me) – remember they are bits of paper covered in ink – ie, not really worth anything unless someone else wants also.
Buy it if you want, don’t if you don’t its paper, there’s no guns at your head.
An Error Has Occurred!

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #415 on: June 02, 2010, 11:23:07 PM »
The infamous Mummy daybill...sigh...I am just so happy to be part of the exclusive club  ;D

And I am reminded of the sweat and toil every time I look over my shoulder at the beauty on the wall!

But back on point, Ari is 100% correct - buy what you can afford, when you can afford it and perhaps most imporantly - keep everything in perspective
Chris

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #416 on: June 02, 2010, 11:44:28 PM »
Point to consider: Are pending auctions discussed on other forums?

Second point to consider: $1,000+ posters are relatively rare.  Heritage reports 112,000 posters sold.  Only 6600 of them - or 5.9% - sold (including BP) for more than $1,000.  

Carson

« Reply #417 on: June 02, 2010, 11:52:06 PM »
Absolutely agree, buy what you can afford, that's always a good rule of thumb for those who don't like debt. There's no gun to your head; they're bits of paper and ink, not food and shelter. I agree. And to the point being discussed and point to consider: I know not a single collector who prefers the poster they're bidding being linked with screenshot mid-auction. If it can save a collector a dollar it's well worthwhile in being considerate of that. This is the third time in this thread this very small matter has surfaced, essentially because Mel is still single.

I understand you don't agree, Rich, but a few minutes of forum chatter fun for Mel or otherwise isn't worth potentially adding $5, $10 or $50 to another collectors tab when he goes to pay. It's a very small matter. Not a biggie. The majority of collectors I know and speak with, when asked if they want the rarities they seek up for auction being discussed mid-week on the forum the answer is a resounding no. Why keep pressing? What's so significant about the issue?

Carson

« Reply #418 on: June 03, 2010, 12:00:55 AM »
Point to consider: Are pending auctions discussed on other forums?

Second point to consider: $1,000+ posters are relatively rare.  Heritage reports 112,000 posters sold.  Only 6600 of them - or 5.9% - sold (including BP) for more than $1,000.  

The point is just a small consideration of others who do care, in the case, and just in case, someone on the forum is bidding a rarity and doesn't want it broadcast. How are the points above relevant to that fact?

Last, genuinely curious not stirring, what purpose does it serve to post to announce "Hey, dudes, look, a Star Wars poster at auction!"?
Who or what purpose does it serve, why is it important to you and why can it not wait a few days? Thanks.

Offline kovacs01

• Global Moderator
  • Hoarder
    • My Poster Gallery
« Reply #419 on: June 03, 2010, 12:14:09 AM »
Like gambling, if I want to win the pot, I have to put the money up.

And like poster buying, I am not going to go find bunch of professional poker players and let them know where all of the easy games I play are located.  I keep those to myself and continue to make money off of them.  If I outed them to all of the poker players I know, those guys would be broke, and I would be looking for a new game.
Schan
Thanks.  You know what you did.
My Poster Gallery

Offline Ari

• Curator
« Reply #420 on: June 03, 2010, 12:36:46 AM »
All well and good, don’t others who maybe want the said item be warned its around? As a collector, I understand you want a bargain and nobody to know whatever is up for sale, but at the end of the day, the seller tries his/her best to make a buck, and if its consigned the owner wants the best, AND there might be more people THAN YOU who want the poster and if they want it MORE, they will pay more.
Theres a section on ebay, devoted to Movie posters, Lots of them, theres also a site www.movieposterbid.com
Did I just OUT anything? Well I did, many thousands.
An Error Has Occurred!

Carson

« Reply #421 on: June 03, 2010, 01:08:33 AM »
I guess my question is why keep asking the same questions essentially? Why is the matter so significant? If it's of possible help in savings why not wait a couple of days.

Did you out the poster with the movieposterbid link, Ari? No, likely not. Like Rich's gambling analogy, the example doesn't run in congruence with bidding a rare movie poster. Lose a hand gambling, play another hand, another hand and anohter. Lose a one shot opportunity at a rare poster and it may come around again 5 or ten years or never.

Offline Ari

• Curator
« Reply #422 on: June 03, 2010, 03:10:41 AM »
I don't, because it doesn't interest me, as in, if I see a poster I want (rarely) I just bid, don't feel the need to tell anyone. But I assume, theres people all over the world who have also seen it. I also assume that most of them are not members of Allposterforum
we are not the world of poster collecting here, or at NS4, Mopo or even MPF. Just a fraction, - it might make someone see something they missed, and so they bid, but thats auctions, dont like it? don't do it, go direct to a dealer. Dont like Dealers? dont buy.  or just trade with other collectors.  OR just complain. and dont get the poster. Cripes they are bits of paper.
When I have shill bidders on my water then I will be mad.
(sorry not in a poster mood at the moment)
An Error Has Occurred!

Carson

« Reply #423 on: June 03, 2010, 07:44:35 AM »
I understand and agree forums are a tiny fraction.
Holding off discussing an auction, especially when Mel knows he won't be participating in them, is just a small courtesy to provide fellow collectors who may be participating in the auction.
If it's under $1000 give it a few days to close before discussing. Announcing a poster mid-auction serves no purpose aside from satisfying a fleeting posting urge or Mel offsetting his idle time.

guest8

« Reply #424 on: June 03, 2010, 12:11:48 PM »
I love you guys!!!