Author Topic: Post-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....  (Read 2838149 times)

Offline Ari

• Curator
    • OFFALEATERS HOUSE OF THE DAMNED
Re: Post-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....
« Reply #3650 on: November 29, 2012, 09:45:17 PM »
piss
An Error Has Occurred!
You can't report your own post to the moderator, that doesn't make sense!

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #3651 on: November 29, 2012, 10:23:49 PM »
Tired of losing!!!

Who won MY Don't Bother to Knockgun2
« Last Edit: November 29, 2012, 10:24:09 PM by eatbrie »
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline Filmlobbycards

• Hobbyist
« Reply #3652 on: November 29, 2012, 10:34:57 PM »
I was under bidder on a few pieces...I did however win the 2 Buster Keaton COLLEGE lobby cards from the Maltin collection...$1,912...I'm still counting the change from the couch!!
Tait

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #3653 on: November 29, 2012, 10:41:02 PM »
I was the under bidder 6 times.  It's super annoying when the guy (or woman) keeps pushing to no end until someone eventually overbids me.  I have a very clear set of prices in my head, and I will not go over them.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #3654 on: November 29, 2012, 11:00:31 PM »
Well, that was fun!!!

Now I'm on my way to see Zero Dark Thirty.  Another kind of fun ;)

T
My Personal Collection

Offline holiday

• Thierry's Nightmare a/k/a King Slut
  • Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
« Reply #3655 on: November 29, 2012, 11:17:59 PM »
Well, that was fun!!!

Now I'm on my way to see Zero Dark Thirty.  Another kind of fun ;)

T

Let me know how it is.  I really liked Hurt Locker, and I can only imagine that with Bin Laden as the subject matter that ZDT must be good.
Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery

"What happened to all the people?" Mystified MPF Member, February 20, 2010

"I actually quite like the name Peanut."  Andy Neal on MOPO, April 22, 2010

Thierry:  Type the word APF on MPF and it spells: "Banned due to malicious unsolicited private message ".

Charlie to the guy who lost to EatBrie:  You just got "T-boned"!  Happens to the best of us...  Wait until you get "Holidazed"!

Thierry to Silhouette:  Please tell her it's a tiny part of my collection so she doesn't think I'm a total creep.  Oh wait, no, I am a total creep.

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #3656 on: November 29, 2012, 11:25:47 PM »
Ummm Z, you understand what the P in PC means?  :P

Yes. Yes I do.

Offline ATLfun

• Hoarder
« Reply #3657 on: November 29, 2012, 11:29:01 PM »
Ummm Z, you understand what the P in PC means?  :P

Political Correctness.
   "Please step away from the keyboard.  In my unsolicited opinion, you paid too much for your poster," said APF Price Police Officer Thierry.  

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #3658 on: November 29, 2012, 11:47:22 PM »
WOW.. That's amazing!  :o

Talk about a MAJOR bidding war !!!

WTF  :o :o

Iconic no doubt but that's presumed to be Universal Horror territory...
Chris

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #3659 on: November 29, 2012, 11:51:18 PM »
These prices are crazy - especially on the Casablanca, King Kong and Forbidden Planet. 

Seems the lull of the past few years is officially over - fiscal cliff, fiscal schmiff!
Chris

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #3660 on: November 29, 2012, 11:55:42 PM »
The other one that went off the charts was the Disney/Mickey Mouse STOCK poster... $101,575.00

Unreal!!!

-Jeff

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #3661 on: November 29, 2012, 11:57:19 PM »
The other one that went off the charts was the Disney/Mickey Mouse STOCK poster... $101,575.00

Unreal!!!

Oh yeah forgot about that one...based on the description it's had quite a bit of restoration too
Chris

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #3662 on: November 30, 2012, 12:13:03 AM »
Also the French King Kong style A... It went triple the high estimate -- $44k!  The last two sales, including one just last year, topped out at $14k.

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #3663 on: November 30, 2012, 12:27:29 AM »
These prices are crazy - especially on the Casablanca, King Kong and Forbidden Planet.  

Seems the lull of the past few years is officially over - fiscal cliff, fiscal schmiff!

what happens at the stratospheric heights of big money purchases means nothing to the entirety of the hobby.
It just means that at the stratospheric level that people have lots of money to spend
« Last Edit: November 30, 2012, 12:27:44 AM by MoviePosterBid.com »

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #3664 on: November 30, 2012, 12:41:38 AM »
what happens at the stratospheric heights of big money purchases means nothing to the entirety of the hobby.
It just means that at the stratospheric level that people have lots of money to spend

Yes of course...but it appears the stratosphere is now moving into the mesosphere
Chris

• Post-aholic
« Reply #3665 on: November 30, 2012, 12:50:29 AM »
Yes of course...but it appears the stratosphere is now moving into the mesosphere

it means nothing unless you have stratospheric posters for sale (or mesopheric or even coronal)

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder

-------

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #3666 on: November 30, 2012, 12:56:11 AM »
it means nothing unless you have stratospheric posters for sale (or mesopheric or even coronal)

Or if you collect Bogart posters.  What was the "high sale" on a Casablanca insert before today? 

The price of a luxury car?  It's now a nicely equipped, foreclosed US home...
Chris

• Post-aholic
« Reply #3667 on: November 30, 2012, 01:07:02 AM »
no one is going to pay anything near that price again Chris.
I really think youneed to step outside yourself and understand why sales of this nature happen, and why it's difficult to duplicate them. You need 2 to tango. Now only one tangoer is standing wanting one. Who says they want one bad enough to buy it in a straight sale? Who says that tomorrow they'll even be interested. One person spent over $8million in the first Debbie Reynolds auction but didn't place a single bid for the second auction. You have no idea what someone with that kind of wealth wants to do from one day to the next in many cases. Certainly the third bidder was far down the list. Now that #2 doesn't have to bid against #1, their high bid in an auction would be 1/4 or less than today's sale..

Of course, it ain't like another copy of a Casablanca insert is just going to pop out of the window anyway.

-------

Offline Filmlobbycards

• Hobbyist
« Reply #3668 on: November 30, 2012, 02:03:30 AM »
Definitely a hard point to argue further..it is rather easy to see that the Deluca/Cage Dracula is a perfect example ...The Dracula from the berwicks suffered from a heavy hitter dropping out because his cornerstone was filled..the berwick poster might have been a tad sexier in saturation..
However I would venture to say that the Forbidden Planet was an anomaly ..a relatively easy poster to find for 20k+..however brie mentioned the stooges tassels poster..good luck finding another...or the Chaplin poster...or the Mouse...some posters deserve a reprieve from the idea that the price was overblown..2 cents
Tait

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #3669 on: November 30, 2012, 02:06:11 AM »
Or if you collect Bogart posters.  What was the "high sale" on a Casablanca insert before today?  

The price of a luxury car?  It's now a nicely equipped, foreclosed US home...

A good analogy, Chris. Whether that home is foreclosed or is the purchase price.  

And back in December of 1996, Bruce sold a linen backed Casablanca US insert for $7475.00, and one in Dec, 1992 for $7700.00  happy1

« Last Edit: November 30, 2012, 02:10:58 AM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #3670 on: November 30, 2012, 07:21:57 AM »
Too bad the US posters are so mediocre. I'd take the Australian one sheet if I had to choose:

« Last Edit: November 30, 2012, 07:23:14 AM by Dread_Pirate_Mel »

Bruce

« Reply #3671 on: November 30, 2012, 07:33:49 AM »
Mel, you left out the Belgian, which has a really iconic image, and which will be going to a new home soon:

http://auctions.emovieposter.com/Bidding.taf?_function=detail&Auction_uid1=2792355

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #3672 on: November 30, 2012, 09:53:07 AM »
A good analogy, Chris. Whether that home is foreclosed or is the purchase price.  

And back in December of 1996, Bruce sold a linen backed Casablanca US insert for $7475.00, and one in Dec, 1992 for $7700.00  happy1

So I was wrong about the luxury car angle - that's more like used Ford Taurus territory!
Chris

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #3673 on: November 30, 2012, 10:04:18 AM »
laugh1 laugh1 laugh1

Good one!

Not trust-fund babies, just idiots.  Yes, I truly believe you have to be an idiot to spend 5 times over what a movie poster is worth.  Trust me, I know a few extremely rich people, some in my family, and I can tell you that the one thing they all have in common is that they are very astute buyers and investors.  They don't get caught in bidding wars.  But I don't expect a dealer, or someone who sells posters or makes a living from posters, to agree with me.  It's not good business, and I understand that.  It's an ongoing argument that I have with some of you on this forum, and I understand where it's coming from.

Well then, I will never have a good poster collection, because I will never sacrifice life over movie posters.  Posters come dead last in my discretionary income.

T
Hmm - to be fair, there are probably people who consider us to be stupid.  Paying $00's for an image that has been reprinted by Maxi just so WE can say it came from 1971.

So what, they may ask.  You're an idiot, they may say.

Offline ATLfun

• Hoarder
« Reply #3674 on: November 30, 2012, 10:41:36 AM »
Not sure why there is such a fuss about prices being higher than before.  

Some posters go up in value and others go down.  When you have posters that do not see the light of day for over a decade, how can you accurately reflect today's worth? A decade a go maybe 10 people where jonesing for it, and now maybe 40 people want it.

And of course the inverse is true.  Tom Mix posters have probably passed their heyday.  Most people under 45 have probably no clue who Tom Mix is and could care less.  So a Tom Mix poster that has not been auctioned off in 10 years might sell for far less.

I bet I could pay 1k more than the highest sales price ever on a Goldfinger quad, and I would still be in good shape if I sold it ten years from now.  So what's the big deal?

And at some point, you just have to give Heritage credit for putting on a good show and garnering tremendous exposure for their items.  

Brian

« Last Edit: November 30, 2012, 10:53:31 AM by ATLfun »
   "Please step away from the keyboard.  In my unsolicited opinion, you paid too much for your poster," said APF Price Police Officer Thierry.