Author Topic: Post-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....  (Read 2837991 times)

Dread_Pirate_Mel

Re: Post-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....
« Reply #375 on: May 11, 2010, 10:20:04 PM »
Well [sugar] - I missed out on this Emovie auction for the international High Fidelity - haven't seen this one before and these international versions are infernally difficult to find:

« Last Edit: May 11, 2010, 10:30:05 PM by Dread_Pirate_Mel »

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #376 on: May 13, 2010, 10:56:40 PM »
The Jessica red dress went for $300 this week.  The seller has more of all the Jessica styles and may be willing to sell. (I invited him to join the forum and post them here):

wonka

« Reply #377 on: May 13, 2010, 11:01:18 PM »
That's cool.  Maybe he can talk about the $25 shipping...

Great poster, though.

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #378 on: May 13, 2010, 11:38:17 PM »
That's cool.  Maybe he can talk about the $25 shipping...

Great poster, though.

It would be a fun post reading that explanation...
Chris

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #379 on: May 18, 2010, 09:31:39 PM »
I need to go to poster auction school.

I always mess up the ones that have multiple posters I am interested in. I grab some okay stuff( at least to me and my crappy taste its okay)  8) BUT the one I want gets away.  hitself

I am having a lot of fun though.  I think Im going to be poster buying for a long time to come.  :)
« Last Edit: May 18, 2010, 09:44:19 PM by Zorba »

Offline holiday

• Thierry's Nightmare a/k/a King Slut
  • Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
« Reply #380 on: May 18, 2010, 09:46:10 PM »
Well [sugar] - I missed out on this Emovie auction for the international High Fidelity - haven't seen this one before and these international versions are infernally difficult to find:

Yeah, that's a nice one, Mel, and for a movie I really love.  I don't know how I missed even seeing that one listed!
Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery

"What happened to all the people?" Mystified MPF Member, February 20, 2010

"I actually quite like the name Peanut."  Andy Neal on MOPO, April 22, 2010

Thierry:  Type the word APF on MPF and it spells: "Banned due to malicious unsolicited private message ".

Charlie to the guy who lost to EatBrie:  You just got "T-boned"!  Happens to the best of us...  Wait until you get "Holidazed"!

Thierry to Silhouette:  Please tell her it's a tiny part of my collection so she doesn't think I'm a total creep.  Oh wait, no, I am a total creep.

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #381 on: May 28, 2010, 12:49:35 PM »
Just curious which one of you guy's pipped me on this one?...........I get the feeling it was Bruce?
It's more than a Hobby...

wonka

« Reply #382 on: May 28, 2010, 01:03:45 PM »
Ha, I thought that as well, but I don't think it was Bruce...

Great poster.

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #383 on: May 28, 2010, 01:48:27 PM »
Yep that's an awesome Mummy right there!  Wasn't me either unfortunately...
Chris

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #384 on: May 28, 2010, 01:55:53 PM »
Who ever won it had over 24,000 feedback?
It's more than a Hobby...

Bruce

« Reply #385 on: May 28, 2010, 06:03:33 PM »
Not me! I have over 75,000 feedback.

Bruce

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #386 on: May 30, 2010, 11:49:15 AM »
OK, this Star Wars Birthday printers proof auction has busted through the $1,000 mark - after just three days! - so it's fair game for discussion.  How high will it go?

Online 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #387 on: May 31, 2010, 08:58:33 AM »
OK, this Star Wars Birthday printers proof auction has busted through the $1,000 mark - after just three days! - so it's fair game for discussion.  How high will it go?

I buy heaps of posters over the $1000. Are you saying we all have budgets that stop below $1000, so its ok to discuss in progress auctions once they hit 1K??? Or are you referring to Star Wars posters? I dont mind having Star Wars posters discussed during an auction because I wouldn't buy any Star Wars poster, not even if they cost a dime!

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #388 on: May 31, 2010, 10:18:31 AM »

I buy heaps of posters over the $1000. Are you saying we all have budgets that stop below $1000, so its ok to discuss in progress auctions once they hit 1K??? Or are you referring to Star Wars posters? I dont mind having Star Wars posters discussed during an auction because I wouldn't buy any Star Wars poster, not even if they cost a dime!

That was an informal rule proposed and more or less accepted at the beginning of this thread.  The purpose of not discussing pending auctions is to allow bargain hunters a shot at getting a steal.  By the time a poster gets to $1,000 and has several determined bidders going at it, the "cat's out of the bag" and discussing it publicly will not affect the price.

Also, in my opinion the rule shouldn't even apply to dedicated movie poster auctions (EMovie, Heritage, MBid) because those posters are heavily promoted and reviewed by most of the forum members here anyway.  However, others disagree.

By the way, if you're able to afford "heaps of posters over $1,000" then I'd like to know what you do for a living!  This lawyer gig doesn't pay that kind of coin....

wonka

« Reply #389 on: May 31, 2010, 10:40:35 AM »
By the time a poster gets to $1,000 and has several determined bidders going at it, the "cat's out of the bag" and discussing it publicly will not affect the price.
eyeroll

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #390 on: May 31, 2010, 11:16:33 AM »
eyeroll

Ahh Ben, good to know I can still count on you to chime in with your usual pointless mockery of my posts.  Do you have anything useful to contribute?  Perhaps one day it will dawn on you that arguing by insult reflects poorly on you, not your targets.

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #391 on: May 31, 2010, 11:59:04 AM »
Pshhhh...you guys are obviously amateurs...I routinely spend $5,000+ on single posters but only if the auction is discussed in this thread first
Chris

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #392 on: May 31, 2010, 12:06:38 PM »
Well, it's gone up to $1,580 with six days to go, no doubt fueled by the reckless discussion of it in this thread.  

Or maybe the fact that it's a featured item that's viewed by everybody venturing into the Ebay Original MP section.....

wonka

« Reply #393 on: May 31, 2010, 08:38:34 PM »
Ahh Ben, good to know I can still count on you to chime in with your usual pointless mockery of my posts.  Do you have anything useful to contribute?  Perhaps one day it will dawn on you that arguing by insult reflects poorly on you, not your targets.
Wow, all this definitive decision making from an emoticon.  

Normally, I would give you a list as to why I personally think your reasoning is just more daft silliness, but since you won't respond again I won't waste my time or yours.

Happy Melmorial Day!

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #394 on: May 31, 2010, 10:09:31 PM »
Thats just plain nasty  puke

Online 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #395 on: June 01, 2010, 05:03:12 AM »
By the way, if you're able to afford "heaps of posters over $1,000" then I'd like to know what you do for a living!  This lawyer gig doesn't pay that kind of coin....

Just purchased 3 circus posters averaging $1000 each (French 2-panels).

Simply working in IT as a PM, nothing special... Now earning only 15% what I was during the dot.com boom, darn it. Unemployed 9 of the last 12 months. My G/F is a lawyer and earns half mine, her lawyer friend half that again. It comes down to disposable income. Lawyers mostly don't earn what people think they do... I don't think it is worth trumpeting being a lawyer, looks a bit lame to me.

By the time a poster gets to $1,000 and has several determined bidders going at it, the "cat's out of the bag" and discussing it publicly will not affect the price.

You can be sure if you bring to my attention a poster over $1000, (but limited to around 10K), for which I like, I will definitely affect the price as I rarely let a goody slip by... My preference would be not to discuss during auction posters under 10K... $1000 is not much... look at the price for just a #@!%* Star wars poster

Carson

« Reply #396 on: June 01, 2010, 07:59:47 AM »
I'd say most I went to school with would rather massage feet at a retirement home for free than a career within law. It wasn't generally considered a desirable field when I was graduating. If you wanted to impress your girlfriends parents you would say you were interviewing with yahoo, cisco, or sun micro. But that was around 1998-2002. I'm sure the way to get laid now is to say google or amazon. But, yes, those I know with computer science degrees, software devs, creative programmers in general are leading in incomes still somewhat early out of school. And they earn it. They put in unbelievable hours; it's tough work.

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #397 on: June 01, 2010, 10:34:59 AM »
Thats just plain nasty  puke

Hey what happened to that lovely picture I was referencing with the puke emote?

Not that Im complaining, I want to know who I can thank for its deletion  :)

Online Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #398 on: June 01, 2010, 11:35:49 AM »
Hey what happened to that lovely picture I was referencing with the puke emote?

Not that Im complaining, I want to know who I can thank for its deletion  :)

I guess Holiday did not think it was funny, and deleted the pics, so I decided to delete the whole post.  Can't blame him though, pics don't get much grosser or weirder than that, and he is just doing his job.

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #399 on: June 02, 2010, 04:52:18 PM »
Rather than devolving to personal insults, why don't we conduct a straightforward poll and abide by its results?

I believe only mods can set them up.  I suggest the following:

Should forum members be allowed to discuss pending auctions (multiple selections allowed):

1) No, not under any circumstances.

2) Only if and when the auction reaches $________ (or a set amount like $1000)

3) Only auctions by Emovie, MoviePosterBid and/or Heritage should be discussed

4) No restrictions should apply