Author Topic: Post-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....  (Read 2837366 times)

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
Re: Post-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....
« Reply #3375 on: September 08, 2012, 09:37:18 PM »

they got massive worldwide publicity every time.

Not bad ideas for marketing.  Maybe you should try something like paying someone to get one of these fancy tattoos for your company, Bruce.   8) 

Bruce

« Reply #3376 on: September 08, 2012, 09:42:42 PM »
You interested, Neo?

jawdrop

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #3377 on: September 08, 2012, 09:48:56 PM »
Dont know bout Neo but I am thinking about how cool I would look with engraved on my forehead.

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #3378 on: September 08, 2012, 10:04:04 PM »
You interested, Neo?

jawdrop

laugh1  No thanks, Bruce.  I really can't imagine who would get a tattoo like that, but if they are content with the decision, then more power to them.

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #3379 on: September 09, 2012, 08:36:25 PM »
The 40x60 BAT cleaned up nicely.  I actually won that eBay auction, but the seller backed out.  Probably got a bigger offer after the auction  gun1

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280810988141&ssPageName=ADME:L:COSI:US:1123#ht_500wt_1182
http://auctions.emovieposter.com/Bidding.taf?_function=detail&Auction_uid1=2682682

Bruce

« Reply #3380 on: September 09, 2012, 08:49:48 PM »
I never buy, HC. But the buyer may have sent it to me. Either that or the guy who refused to sell did.

It IS going to look incredible on the new owner's wall, in spite of the restoration. And where do you get another?

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #3381 on: September 09, 2012, 08:52:12 PM »
$6,000 with that significant restoration!  Now I feel a little  :'(   (Matt knows why)
« Last Edit: September 09, 2012, 08:53:24 PM by CSM »
Chris

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #3382 on: September 09, 2012, 08:59:35 PM »
I never buy, HC. But the buyer may have sent it to me. Either that or the guy who refused to sell did.

It IS going to look incredible on the new owner's wall, in spite of the restoration. And where do you get another?

I definitely didn't mean to imply it was you Bruce!  The seller was based out of VA and was a real a-hole.  He backed out of our sale and then tried to blame me somehow!  As for me not getting it from eBay, oh well... you probably would have ended up selling it anyway  ;)

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #3383 on: September 09, 2012, 09:05:28 PM »
Sorry what I mean to say was $6,000?! - that's enough to make me lose my "Brekfast"!

What's up with that anyways?
Chris

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #3384 on: September 09, 2012, 09:14:47 PM »
that's enough to make me lose my "Brekfast"!

hitself

Bruce

« Reply #3385 on: September 09, 2012, 09:23:06 PM »
I definitely didn't mean to imply it was you Bruce!  The seller was based out of VA and was a real a-hole.  He backed out of our sale and then tried to blame me somehow!  As for me not getting it from eBay, oh well... you probably would have ended up selling it anyway  ;)

I certainly know that HC. I just wanted to clarify that for anyone reading what you wrote.

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #3386 on: September 09, 2012, 09:28:43 PM »
I certainly know that HC. I just wanted to clarify that for anyone reading what you wrote.

Bruce - what is your opinion on the misspelling of "Brekfast" in the border?  Are all the BAT's like that or did the restorer mess up badly?
Chris

Offline Silhouette

• Hoarder
« Reply #3387 on: September 09, 2012, 09:38:06 PM »
Bruce - what is your opinion on the misspelling of "Brekfast" in the border?  Are all the BAT's like that or did the restorer mess up badly?

Hard to see perfectly but it appears to be miss-spelled on the Ebay (pre-restored) version
« Last Edit: September 09, 2012, 09:38:37 PM by Silhouette »
David

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #3388 on: September 15, 2012, 11:05:53 AM »
Last week, a poster showed up on Bruce's site that I really, really wanted. 
I don't have much to spend on paper these days, so I rolled my spare change, sold a few posters and put my money down.
I bid more than I have ever spent on a single poster before, but I wanted this one badly.
I thought I was going to win (wishful thinking), but I was outbid by a well-known dealer.
Yes, I was pretty fucking disappointed.  I had never seen this particular style/size for sale and it had slipped out of my grasp.
Oh, well.  That is the way of the world.  Win some, lose some.

A few days later, I decided to look on Ebay to see if a similar poster had 'miraculously' appeared.
Well, what do you know?  There it was, posted for sale at nearly double the price by the same dealer who outbid me.
Salt in the wound?  Sure.
Pissed?  Of course I am.  But, like I said, 'that is the way of the world. You win some, you lose some.'

Two days later, another poster (from a different film) that I wanted but had never seen for sale before, appeared on Ebay.
It was being offered by a seller whom I had dealt with before. A good guy.
I put up a decent bid, went to work, and was sniped by someone at the last minute.
Pissed?  Of course I am.  But, like I said, 'that is the way of the world. You win some, you lose some.'

But now, I was pretty discouraged.  I had lost two special posters in just a few days.
So, I sent an email to the Ebay seller of the second poster, the one that was sniped out of my grasp.
I asked him if he had another or knew someone who did.
He sent me an email.  No, he didn't have another, but he knew someone who did and he sent me a link to a reputable dealer's site.
There was the poster, in better condition than the one I lost and considerably cheaper than the sniper's winning bid.

The sale is complete and the poster is en route.

While this post might sound like 'sour grapes,' it really isn't meant that way.
Dealers have every right to purchase their wares and mark them up as they see fit. 
If it is their business, it is their business.

I'm not about to publicly out the dealer who outbid me and then flipped the poster.  I hope it sits in his inventory without a nibble.
But, when the other poster arrives, I will publicly thank the dealer -- and the seller who directed me to him -- for helping me acquire a gem.

Is there a moral to my rambling?
Probably a few. 
But I can tell you what I have gotten out of it -- some dealers suck and other dealers shine.
So, shun the former and patronize the latter.
 cheers

Charlie

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #3390 on: September 15, 2012, 11:44:10 AM »

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #3391 on: September 15, 2012, 11:48:28 AM »
Jeezum crow...that don't leave much to the imagination.
 mesmrized

I thought the opposite, My imagination was running rife.... :)
It's more than a Hobby...

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #3392 on: September 15, 2012, 12:12:35 PM »
For a moment I thought I might have a heart attack.

Wow!  ;D

Freefall

« Reply #3393 on: September 15, 2012, 12:36:16 PM »
You should have bought this... It didn't last long after it popped up this morning; I wonder why... (No I didn't buy it, but I can't stop looking!)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mila-Kunis-BIG-32x48aprx-VINYL-BANNER-Poster-Black-Swan-that-70s-show-model-/320982625878?item=320982625878&ViewItem=&ssPageName=ADME:B:SS:US:1123&nma=true&si=oVKeqSTLjFya1G0bSQFyHaYJI4k%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Something is a-miss with this poster/photo. The pose is too awkward and just too Hustler for Mila to do. I am not saying I know what she does or doesn't do in a photo-shoot but it just looks photoshopped to me.

Charlie

« Reply #3394 on: September 15, 2012, 01:49:18 PM »
Something is a-miss with this poster/photo. The pose is too awkward and just too Hustler for Mila to do. I am not saying I know what she does or doesn't do in a photo-shoot but it just looks photoshopped to me.

Freefall calls it!  I did a quick search and found this very similar image from Playboy...

http://playmatehunter.com/content/1109/lauren-elise-07.jpg

Well it was still nice.

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #3395 on: September 15, 2012, 02:17:31 PM »
I don't care, I say Photo-shopping is Art.... :D
It's more than a Hobby...

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #3396 on: September 15, 2012, 03:41:15 PM »
I hear ya, Ted.  That's happened to me a few times on ultra rare items that don't appear for sale often, if ever again.  

On the bright side, if the fortunate day arrives that you're able to acquire one similar to the one you missed out on, then it's all the more glorious.

As the saying goes: "The sweet is never as sweet without the sour."  Good luck on your quest.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2012, 03:42:39 PM by NeoLoco »

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #3397 on: September 20, 2012, 04:38:29 PM »
Did anyone see this Apocalypse Now B0, with Marlon Brando?  I was thinking about bidding on it, and if I won, probably would've had it backed, and possibly made a little touch up project for myself.  For various reasons, I decided to pass.  It appears that the reserve was $750, as the second highest bidder only bid $111, and the winning bidder must have bid $750 or more.  Since it's an unicorn, it's not completely shocking that it sold for that price, even considering the damage.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Marlon-Brando-Apocalypse-Now-Japanese-Poster-/120984418331?item=120984418331&ViewItem=&nma=true&si=dpSQbS9WWUK6vjnkn9Qv5a4cJDU%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Offline kovacs01

• Global Moderator
  • Hoarder
    • My Poster Gallery
« Reply #3398 on: September 20, 2012, 08:15:35 PM »
Did anyone see this Apocalypse Now B0, with Marlon Brando?  I was thinking about bidding on it, and if I won, probably would've had it backed, and possibly made a little touch up project for myself.  For various reasons, I decided to pass.  It appears that the reserve was $750, as the second highest bidder only bid $111, and the winning bidder must have bid $750 or more.  Since it's an unicorn, it's not completely shocking that it sold for that price, even considering the damage.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Marlon-Brando-Apocalypse-Now-Japanese-Poster-/120984418331?item=120984418331&ViewItem=&nma=true&si=dpSQbS9WWUK6vjnkn9Qv5a4cJDU%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557
didnt see it, but i would not pay 750 for it in that condition.
Schan
Thanks.  You know what you did.
My Poster Gallery

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #3399 on: September 20, 2012, 08:24:32 PM »
$50 tops says Poster Price Police.

My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)