Author Topic: Post-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....  (Read 2837726 times)

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
Re: Post-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....
« Reply #3350 on: September 07, 2012, 12:37:06 AM »
I wouldn't exactly call it rape.  But, I do not think it is too much of a stretch to think that dealers run up auction prices to justify prices they are already charging or plan to charge for a piece they have in their possession.  I don't doubt that some dealers get items to sell from emovieposter.com, but I do not think the majority are riding that horse.

I call it rape and I'm not talking about some dealers.  I'm talking about Posteritati.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline enki

• Collector
« Reply #3351 on: September 07, 2012, 12:52:08 AM »
And one of the many reasons why others hate me ;)

I thought it was because you were French.

;D

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #3352 on: September 07, 2012, 12:58:59 AM »
I thought it was because you were French.

;D

I said: "One of the many reasons".  And yes, being French is another one.
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Steven11788

« Reply #3353 on: September 07, 2012, 08:37:34 AM »
not sure if reselling is big, but emoives auctions are def. setting the market,  don't quote me, but there is a seller on the bay selling his linen backed Aussie Halloween onesheet for over a grand now. I am pretty sure this is the same seller that had it for 700 back over the summer, now that Bruce's almost sold for a grand, he is back selling his for around that price..

Offline jayn_j

• Hoarder
« Reply #3354 on: September 07, 2012, 09:01:09 AM »
That's a very nice story, Bruce, but I think it's bull.  Sorry.  Posteritati bids on way too many of your items to pass them on to their adoring clients.  No, they bid to rape innocent collectors.

T

I use posteratati as one of my guideposts.  If Sam is bidding against me, and drops out, I figure I am at fair market value.  Usually works well when checking the price databases.
-Jay-

Offline holiday

• Thierry's Nightmare a/k/a King Slut
  • Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
« Reply #3355 on: September 07, 2012, 06:56:50 PM »
I use posteratati as one of my guideposts.  If Sam is bidding against me, and drops out, I figure I am at fair market value.  Usually works well when checking the price databases.

Don't be too quick to judge like that.  They only stay in if they can win it for a steal price.  I have seen them quit very low on the value scale.  I'd say when they drop out, you're at 25% of the fmv.
Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery

"What happened to all the people?" Mystified MPF Member, February 20, 2010

"I actually quite like the name Peanut."  Andy Neal on MOPO, April 22, 2010

Thierry:  Type the word APF on MPF and it spells: "Banned due to malicious unsolicited private message ".

Charlie to the guy who lost to EatBrie:  You just got "T-boned"!  Happens to the best of us...  Wait until you get "Holidazed"!

Thierry to Silhouette:  Please tell her it's a tiny part of my collection so she doesn't think I'm a total creep.  Oh wait, no, I am a total creep.

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #3356 on: September 07, 2012, 07:01:03 PM »
I use T as my guide post. When he drops out it means that I can go another 20%- 50% over the current bid.  :P

Bruce

« Reply #3357 on: September 07, 2012, 07:53:30 PM »
I use T as my guide post. When he drops out it means that I can go another 20%- 50% over the current bid.  :P

rofl1

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #3358 on: September 07, 2012, 07:53:38 PM »

Probably wiser than using Posteratati considering there will be a 50% premium once listed on their site
Chris

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #3359 on: September 07, 2012, 08:45:00 PM »
Probably wiser than using Posteratati considering there will be a 50% premium once listed on their site

REALLY???  Truly revolting.
My Personal Collection

Offline 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #3360 on: September 07, 2012, 09:01:50 PM »

I guess you are joking, but if not... auctions to my understanding historically have been frequented mostly by sellers. They take their purchases to their bricks and mortar shop and advertise, have sales people and pay High Street rent. They provide a sevice not possible by virtual sellers and need to make enough to cover those costs. What's the big deal with a seemingly large markup on an auction item, no one has to buy it. It is great to be able to go into a store and be shown posters. I pay more for the certainty I know exactly what I am getting and that the seller will be there tomorrow. If the store has a good reputation, it will stay in business.

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #3361 on: September 07, 2012, 09:28:48 PM »
I hear what you say, Steve, but it's not for me.  Everything Posteritati sells can be found for 1/5 of the price anywhere else.  I understand a markup, but that's outrageous.
My Personal Collection

Offline theartofmovieposters

• Collector
    • theartofmovieposters
« Reply #3362 on: September 07, 2012, 09:41:01 PM »
Have always thought that as long as what is listed/sold is accurately described, the sellere/dealer can charge whatever they like.
I don't have to buy it...
Ves

ozcinemagic

« Reply #3363 on: September 07, 2012, 10:40:04 PM »
I hear what you say, Steve, but it's not for me.  Everything Posteritati sells can be found for 1/5 of the price anywhere else.  I understand a markup, but that's outrageous.

What's the rent on a retail premises in NY?
Wages?
Tax?

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #3364 on: September 07, 2012, 11:54:14 PM »
Have always thought that as long as what is listed/sold is accurately described, the sellere/dealer can charge whatever they like.

That's part of the problem Ves - some people lose all sense and think they just have to have it at any cost!   :o
Chris

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #3365 on: September 07, 2012, 11:55:45 PM »

Thierry - just check out their site (and bring a puke bag)
Chris

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #3367 on: September 08, 2012, 04:45:09 PM »

I understand Ves, but a lot of people don't know better and assume it is right.  People who know, of course, can make up their own minds, but the rest...
My Personal Collection

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #3368 on: September 08, 2012, 04:47:04 PM »
Thierry - just check out their site (and bring a puke bag)

Oh I have, trust me, I have...  Yesterday even, as I was writing my comments, to see if they had gone down.  Alas.
My Personal Collection

Offline 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #3370 on: September 08, 2012, 06:42:14 PM »
I suspect 2 jokers connected with the seller bidding on it for a laugh

Online Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #3371 on: September 08, 2012, 07:21:12 PM »
:o :o

Are you surprised at how high it sold for, or how low?  :P

I suspect 2 jokers connected with the seller bidding on it for a laugh

It wouldn't surprise me if that's the case. 

Offline TheAnswerMVP2001

• Collector
  • Just Mellin'
    • Voluptuous Vinyl
« Reply #3372 on: September 08, 2012, 08:08:43 PM »
I'd say they were trying to get it featured on the Tonight Show.  Jay does the eBay guessing game on weird stuff like this every-once in a while.  This had to be some sort of set-up to get on that, there are a lot of people with never ending pockets of money out there, but I can't see them even being that careless with it.

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #3373 on: September 08, 2012, 09:20:04 PM »
Are you surprised at how high it sold for, or how low?  :P

More so the allure of it ;)
Chris

Bruce

« Reply #3374 on: September 08, 2012, 09:23:33 PM »
Years ago, goldenpalace.com bought every silly auction that came along (Virgin Mary grilled cheese, etc) for INSANE prices. I think they intended to open a museum of that crap, and they got massive worldwide publicity every time.

I haven't heard about them in years.