Author Topic: Post-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....  (Read 2837980 times)

Offline enki

• Collector
Re: Post-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....
« Reply #3325 on: September 03, 2012, 12:38:45 AM »
Speaking of Star Wars related WTFs:
http://auctions.emovieposter.com/Bidding.taf?_function=detail&Auction_uid1=2676323

Not only did the dated Revenge go for twice what I would have expected, but it went for over twice the undated version. Granted the latter had some condition issues, but I've seen far worse ones go for hundreds more.

ozcinemagic

« Reply #3326 on: September 03, 2012, 02:03:28 AM »
Good old SW only going in one direction >>>

http://www.emovieposter.com/agallery/archiveitem/12618605.html

Offline TheAnswerMVP2001

• Collector
  • Just Mellin'
    • Voluptuous Vinyl
« Reply #3327 on: September 03, 2012, 03:38:40 AM »
On the rare occasions Bruce has anything I like I always dread getting excited about the possibility of winning something, because usually those nutty bidders that go three times over value always ruin it, and my excitement is shattered...  :-[ 

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #3328 on: September 03, 2012, 03:52:15 AM »
Speaking of Star Wars related WTFs:
http://auctions.emovieposter.com/Bidding.taf?_function=detail&Auction_uid1=2676323

Not only did the dated Revenge go for twice what I would have expected, but it went for over twice the undated version. Granted the latter had some condition issues, but I've seen far worse ones go for hundreds more.

Because it was folded.  I own 2 rolled posters of the dated version, and 1 rolled of the undated, but I always wanted 2 copies of the undated.  I was going to bid on it without looking, when I realized it was folded and passed.  So it might explain why it didn't go for more.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline archie leach

• Hoarder
« Reply #3329 on: September 03, 2012, 04:02:09 AM »
Anyway, WHO THE FUCK SPENDS $2000 ON STARFALL?  I like Ohrai, and the condition was awesome, but WHAT THE FUCK?

My thoughts exactly.  I will always be kickin' myself for not clicking the buy-it-now when Vilmur put one up for $75.  It had a small tear, so I balked and it was gone in minutes.

I, for one, would take a rolled dated version of this poster over a folded undated any day of the week.  Oh wait, I did.

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #3330 on: September 03, 2012, 04:34:24 AM »
I, for one, would take a rolled dated version of this poster over a folded undated any day of the week.  Oh wait, I did.

Especially because of the poster's design and color.  Folds would be in the way, more so than for other posters.
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

ozcinemagic

« Reply #3331 on: September 03, 2012, 08:16:19 AM »
On the rare occasions Bruce has anything I like I always dread getting excited about the possibility of winning something, because usually those nutty bidders that go three times over value always ruin it, and my excitement is shattered...  :-[ 

I'll take a guess and say the majority of people determine a poster's value from Bruce's database. That means every time there's a new high sellers feel justified in raising their prices. In many ways the whole market gets pulled along by the might of EMP. Which doesn't bother me much!  8)

Bruce

« Reply #3332 on: September 03, 2012, 08:39:24 AM »
I see a paradox here. None of you seem to question why a Universal horror poster should be "worth" hundreds of thousands of dollars, yet only a very few have ever actually sold for that amount, and it is to the same tiny group of people. Yet when a $300 poster rises to $500, the buyer must be a fool, and if a year later it goes to $750, that is the height of insanity!

Back in the late 1980s I attended one of the early animation auctions, and there were old-timers in the audience who could not believe how "stupid" the buyers were. Cels from TV shows like The Flintstones with good images of the top stars were selling for $50 and the old-timers were muttering "Those are $5 cels". Meanwhile cels from completely forgotten 1930s cartoons that showed forgotten minor characters were selling for $20, and the old-timers were muttering "Those are super-rare and should be $50 cels".

Times change. Tastes change. People forget who Franchot Tone or Rosalind Russell were (along with hundreds of others) and they will pay more for Clint Eastwood posters from his best films. Just because a poster WAS $25 for a number of years doesn't mean it can't now rise to $50 or $100 or much more, and just because another poster used to be $1,250 for a number of years doesn't mean it can't fall back to $750 or $500 or even lower.

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #3333 on: September 03, 2012, 08:47:53 AM »
I saw a couple of the Eastwoods I own go for a few times what I paid. Those didnt bother me at all.  :P

The ones I bid on that went for a few dollars more bothered me   :D

« Last Edit: September 03, 2012, 08:48:35 AM by Zorba »

Charlie

« Reply #3334 on: September 03, 2012, 08:53:49 AM »
I think it is easy to say that with the quality od CE and SW posters more deep pockets showed wanting to take something home. The same fafdm insert I bought from Bruce in August @ 200 went for 290 in the signature. If some of these had been hurried in a regular Tuesday auction there wouldn't have been the competition.

Bruce

« Reply #3335 on: September 03, 2012, 11:15:25 PM »
I think it is easy to say that with the quality od CE and SW posters more deep pockets showed wanting to take something home. The same fafdm insert I bought from Bruce in August @ 200 went for 290 in the signature. If some of these had been hurried in a regular Tuesday auction there wouldn't have been the competition.

What's a "signature"? Yo no comprende!

Charlie

« Reply #3336 on: September 03, 2012, 11:19:02 PM »
What's a "signature"? Yo no comprende!

Point to Mr. Hershenson... 'mini/major'

Bruce

« Reply #3337 on: September 03, 2012, 11:35:01 PM »
Point to Mr. Hershenson... 'mini/major'

woohoo woohoo woohoo woohoo woohoo woohoo woohoo

Steven11788

« Reply #3338 on: September 05, 2012, 08:50:31 PM »
 I stand correct Bruce, with you latest horror, I dont have to wait till the Halloween auction to swap you green for lot of colors, lol

Steven11788

« Reply #3339 on: September 06, 2012, 08:03:26 AM »
ignore last post, I ment to post it in the MID, sorry guys

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #3340 on: September 06, 2012, 10:40:27 PM »
There were 2 Swedish Bardots at Bruce's auctions tonight.  I won one, and lost the other to Posteritati.  Sigh.  My consolation price is that I made those thieves pay $200 more on the one I lost.  Personally, I think it's wrong of Bruce to sell stuff to these people, knowing very well that they will resell it for 5x the price to some gullible collector who doesn't know better.

T
My Personal Collection

Offline ddilts399

• Hoarder
    • .5% of my collection online
« Reply #3341 on: September 06, 2012, 11:15:34 PM »
I would almost bet the farm Sam only bids on things that are pre-sold or he has sold on a REGULAR bases for a minimum of 2X the final bid.

Offline TheAnswerMVP2001

• Collector
  • Just Mellin'
    • Voluptuous Vinyl
« Reply #3342 on: September 06, 2012, 11:33:22 PM »
Once again I missed out to two posters Tuesday I really wanted, I went above what I'd normally spend and even went above the usual selling price that I could find around the internet, but got reamed by the nutters once again.  On the bright side I finally managed to acquire a backed domestic Fearless Vampire Killers that I've been looking for about a year, and at a lower price than both Emovie and Heritage has sold un-backed ones in the last five years, so that made up for it and I felt like I got a good deal.  One thing I can say every-time I get overbid by the endless pocket bidders I usually end up finding the same poster or something else I've been looking for at a really good deal a day or two later so at least it helps to sooth the sting, and also makes me glad that I didn't get caught overpaying on the ones I got snubbed on.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2012, 11:39:08 PM by TheAnswerMVP2001 »

Bruce

« Reply #3343 on: September 06, 2012, 11:42:30 PM »
I would almost bet the farm Sam only bids on things that are pre-sold or he has sold on a REGULAR bases for a minimum of 2X the final bid.

Another real possibility is that a dealer is bidding for a top customer who lives near them. They give the money to the dealer who pays, gets the item, and the customer picks it up. A service a lot of top dealers offer for their best customers.

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #3344 on: September 06, 2012, 11:56:12 PM »
Another real possibility is that a dealer is bidding for a top customer who lives near them. They give the money to the dealer who pays, gets the item, and the customer picks it up. A service a lot of top dealers offer for their best customers.

That's a very nice story, Bruce, but I think it's bull.  Sorry.  Posteritati bids on way too many of your items to pass them on to their adoring clients.  No, they bid to rape innocent collectors.

T
My Personal Collection

Offline holiday

• Thierry's Nightmare a/k/a King Slut
  • Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
« Reply #3345 on: September 07, 2012, 12:08:52 AM »
  No, they bid to rape innocent collectors.

T

You, sir, are a zealot.
Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery

"What happened to all the people?" Mystified MPF Member, February 20, 2010

"I actually quite like the name Peanut."  Andy Neal on MOPO, April 22, 2010

Thierry:  Type the word APF on MPF and it spells: "Banned due to malicious unsolicited private message ".

Charlie to the guy who lost to EatBrie:  You just got "T-boned"!  Happens to the best of us...  Wait until you get "Holidazed"!

Thierry to Silhouette:  Please tell her it's a tiny part of my collection so she doesn't think I'm a total creep.  Oh wait, no, I am a total creep.

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #3346 on: September 07, 2012, 12:11:57 AM »
You, sir, are a zealot.

I say it as I see it.  You know I'm not one to run away from what I think.

gun1

T
My Personal Collection

Offline kovacs01

• Global Moderator
  • Hoarder
    • My Poster Gallery
« Reply #3347 on: September 07, 2012, 12:21:59 AM »

gun1

T

I wouldn't exactly call it rape.  But, I do not think it is too much of a stretch to think that dealers run up auction prices to justify prices they are already charging or plan to charge for a piece they have in their possession.  I don't doubt that some dealers get items to sell from emovieposter.com, but I do not think the majority are riding that horse.
Schan
Thanks.  You know what you did.
My Poster Gallery

Offline holiday

• Thierry's Nightmare a/k/a King Slut
  • Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
« Reply #3348 on: September 07, 2012, 12:28:18 AM »
Just one of the many reasons I love you.

gun1

T
Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery

"What happened to all the people?" Mystified MPF Member, February 20, 2010

"I actually quite like the name Peanut."  Andy Neal on MOPO, April 22, 2010

Thierry:  Type the word APF on MPF and it spells: "Banned due to malicious unsolicited private message ".

Charlie to the guy who lost to EatBrie:  You just got "T-boned"!  Happens to the best of us...  Wait until you get "Holidazed"!

Thierry to Silhouette:  Please tell her it's a tiny part of my collection so she doesn't think I'm a total creep.  Oh wait, no, I am a total creep.

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #3349 on: September 07, 2012, 12:36:24 AM »
Just one of the many reasons I love you.

And one of the many reasons why others hate me ;)
My Personal Collection