Author Topic: Post-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....  (Read 2838020 times)

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
Re: Post-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....
« Reply #3300 on: September 02, 2012, 05:50:57 PM »
Phew!!! I thought you'd gone mad.

So, is it you Z?

No, Im not that crazy!  :P

Just My own crazy.

Matt

« Reply #3301 on: September 02, 2012, 05:59:17 PM »
Fark it! I'm gonna start collecting US 1 sheets from now on. ;)

Offline enki

• Collector
« Reply #3302 on: September 02, 2012, 06:01:08 PM »
That's freakin hilarious.  It is NOT me.  I changed my name a while back and I guess someone "stole" my old ID.  Really funny.  If you know me, you know I have an aversion to Daybills, so it couldn't be me bidding on this Daybill.

T

Was this you?
http://auctions.emovieposter.com/Bidding.taf?_function=detail&Auction_uid1=2676215

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #3303 on: September 02, 2012, 06:02:28 PM »
Fark it! I'm gonna start collecting US 1 sheets from now on. ;)

Thought is crossing my mind too.

Girlfriend was sitting with me and kept asking what the fuck I was doing bidding on that shit.  :P

Charlie

« Reply #3304 on: September 02, 2012, 06:05:00 PM »
Man there was a lot of final prices to laugh at and a lot to say 'oh yeah, that price was right'...  Bit disappointed my main target was eyed and carted off by the deep pockets... Yeah I can bid that high but why?  It just became irrational...

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #3305 on: September 02, 2012, 06:06:31 PM »
Was this you?
http://auctions.emovieposter.com/Bidding.taf?_function=detail&Auction_uid1=2676215

Do you really think I'd spend that much money on this?  I know I'm crazy, but I'm not an imbecile.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #3306 on: September 02, 2012, 06:07:49 PM »
  It just became irrational...

Ya. People like Clint and SW posters a bit more than they should.  :P

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #3307 on: September 02, 2012, 06:13:35 PM »
Ha-ha!  I thought it really was T.

Hmmm, let me think redux.  

Let's just say I wouldn't be surprised if the new "Eatbrie" goes on "hiatus" again after this auction....
« Last Edit: September 02, 2012, 06:31:36 PM by Dread_Pirate_Mel »

Offline enki

• Collector
« Reply #3308 on: September 02, 2012, 06:30:25 PM »
Do you really think I'd spend that much money on this?  I know I'm crazy, but I'm not an imbecile.

T

No, and that's why I was so surprised. Even my wife said something about it since she recognized your (stolen) username. Well, hopefully this means the one I do have is going up in value ;).

All in all, I think many of the posters went for top dollar, and in some cases over value.

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #3309 on: September 02, 2012, 06:38:52 PM »
In terms of quality and rarity, it was a top notch sale.

In terms of $$$, I don't think an exclusive sale at Bruce Hershenson's is the best place to buy SW and Eastwood posters at a good price.  I think we can all agree that SW and Eastwood pieces can be found for much cheaper elsewhere.  Maybe not today, but sometimes in the future.

Again, this hobby is about patience.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Freefall

« Reply #3310 on: September 02, 2012, 06:39:55 PM »
Was this you?

Sweet Mother of Geebus!

I've had my share of I want it so I paid for it for that much but that price seems a little too high.

Can anyone tell me it went for that price? Anything special about the poster? Does it take you to an alternate universe when you touch it?

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #3311 on: September 02, 2012, 06:44:50 PM »
Again, this hobby is about patience.

I try working on that simple truth every fucking day but I have not mastered it as of yet.

Ugh.

I have already made a frame/show plan that I really like for the crappy crap I just got so all is not lost.

Carry on as there are a million more auctions in our VERY near and more distant future.  ;D

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #3312 on: September 02, 2012, 06:45:38 PM »
The first advance mylars - distributed in theaters in late 1976 - sell for $$$ when they are in good condition.  Not too many pristine examples left, many were folded and/or the mylar subsequently has separated.

It's close to what this one sold earlier this year at H:

« Last Edit: September 02, 2012, 06:48:53 PM by Dread_Pirate_Mel »

Freefall

« Reply #3313 on: September 02, 2012, 06:47:25 PM »
The first advance mylars sell for $$$ when they are in good condition.  Not too many pristine examples left, many were folded and/or the mylar subsequently has separated.

It's close to what this one sold earlier this year at H:

Thanks, Melvin

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #3314 on: September 02, 2012, 06:58:01 PM »
More from the Star Wars poster book about this "First Advance Mylar":

- It was the second Star Wars poster printed (Chaykin was sold in summer 1976 at sci-fi conventions)

- It was the first one distributed to theaters (Christmas 1976)

- The designers chose the Helvetica Black font after Lucas told them to create a "fascist" logo

- The "W" was changed for the second "Coming to Your Galaxy" advance, which was printed on regular paper

- Only a few hundred were printed since few theaters expressed interest in an "unknown space fantasy."
« Last Edit: September 02, 2012, 07:02:55 PM by Dread_Pirate_Mel »

Offline enki

• Collector
« Reply #3315 on: September 02, 2012, 07:55:38 PM »
Sweet Mother of Geebus!

I've had my share of I want it so I paid for it for that much but that price seems a little too high.

Can anyone tell me it went for that price? Anything special about the poster? Does it take you to an alternate universe when you touch it?

These posters do generally sell well and high. Condition means a lot, and as Mel mentioned earlier, many have suffered separation issues. I picked up one about 6+ months ago for $650 that is in very nice condition. Some minor mylar issues (a couple lines going across part of it) but overall I would say "very good+". I am fairly certain the EMP one is in slightly better condition, but not (imho) twice-the-price better condition. Not only are they rare, but they were the first official theatrical movie poster for Star Wars and has the unusual "W", making it a neat piece to have. The second non-mylar teaser (http://auctions.emovieposter.com/Bidding.taf?_function=detail&Auction_uid1=2676216) is actually rarer, and I was tempted to pick it up. But the condition was only so-so, and I decided to wait. Kind of surprised it went for only $365.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2012, 07:56:09 PM by enki »

Offline holiday

• Thierry's Nightmare a/k/a King Slut
  • Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
« Reply #3316 on: September 02, 2012, 10:26:44 PM »

T

Wow, I thought so too, but I was really surprised at spending like that.  Who the fuck took your name?  That really shouldn't be allowed.  I've had others try to hijack a name that I know "belongs" to someone, and I would not allow it.  What a fraud!

Anyway, WHO THE FUCK SPENDS $2000 ON STARFALL?  I like Ohrai, and the condition was awesome, but WHAT THE FUCK?
Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery

"What happened to all the people?" Mystified MPF Member, February 20, 2010

"I actually quite like the name Peanut."  Andy Neal on MOPO, April 22, 2010

Thierry:  Type the word APF on MPF and it spells: "Banned due to malicious unsolicited private message ".

Charlie to the guy who lost to EatBrie:  You just got "T-boned"!  Happens to the best of us...  Wait until you get "Holidazed"!

Thierry to Silhouette:  Please tell her it's a tiny part of my collection so she doesn't think I'm a total creep.  Oh wait, no, I am a total creep.

Offline enki

• Collector
« Reply #3317 on: September 02, 2012, 10:31:17 PM »
Wow, I thought so too, but I was really surprised at spending like that.  Who the fuck took your name?  That really shouldn't be allowed.  I've had others try to hijack a name that I know "belongs" to someone, and I would not allow it.  What a fraud!

Anyway, WHO THE FUCK SPENDS $2000 ON STARFALL?  I like Ohrai, and the condition was awesome, but WHAT THE FUCK?

I'm surprised EMP allows names to be recycled. It's one thing if someone grabs something common like "James" or "Bob" or "ILUVPOSTERS", but "eatbrie"? That was clearly taken to assume Thierry's persona. I mean come on - who else actually eats brie?

Offline holiday

• Thierry's Nightmare a/k/a King Slut
  • Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
« Reply #3318 on: September 02, 2012, 10:34:43 PM »
I'm surprised EMP allows names to be recycled. It's one thing if someone grabs something common like "James" or "Bob" or "ILUVPOSTERS", but "eatbrie"? That was clearly taken to assume Thierry's persona. I mean come on - who else actually eats brie?

Exactly.  Whoever is using is it doing so to create a false impression and that's not cool. 
Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery

"What happened to all the people?" Mystified MPF Member, February 20, 2010

"I actually quite like the name Peanut."  Andy Neal on MOPO, April 22, 2010

Thierry:  Type the word APF on MPF and it spells: "Banned due to malicious unsolicited private message ".

Charlie to the guy who lost to EatBrie:  You just got "T-boned"!  Happens to the best of us...  Wait until you get "Holidazed"!

Thierry to Silhouette:  Please tell her it's a tiny part of my collection so she doesn't think I'm a total creep.  Oh wait, no, I am a total creep.

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #3319 on: September 02, 2012, 10:50:56 PM »
Didn't Mel just get one of these mylars off the bay last week for $9.99?
WTF?

No I got a 1987 10th Anniv Mylar.

The new Eatbrie, no doubt, is just an APFer funnin' Thierry....

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #3320 on: September 02, 2012, 10:55:56 PM »
Just realized that and deleted my post.
 cheers

Bruce

« Reply #3321 on: September 02, 2012, 11:02:49 PM »
Exactly.  Whoever is using is it doing so to create a false impression and that's not cool. 

It would be next to impossible to enforce this, without making name changes require approval, which seems silly.

I also would hate to ever go to a system of anonymous bidders, as so many auctions have.

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #3322 on: September 02, 2012, 11:09:13 PM »
The new Eatbrie, no doubt, is just an APFer funnin' Thierry....

Yup.
I'm betting it's Brian.
Daybills?
Star Wars?

Offline enki

• Collector
« Reply #3323 on: September 03, 2012, 12:27:29 AM »
It would be next to impossible to enforce this, without making name changes require approval, which seems silly.

I also would hate to ever go to a system of anonymous bidders, as so many auctions have.

How about not letting people change their username. Is there a legitimate reason for this anyway? Outside of changing the default one. If you did continue to allow it, you could blacklist prior ones from being reused.

Allowing people to keep changing their usernames or letting people pretend to be other people just seems kind of shady and without honest purpose.

Offline kovacs01

• Global Moderator
  • Hoarder
    • My Poster Gallery
« Reply #3324 on: September 03, 2012, 12:29:36 AM »
Anyway, WHO THE FUCK SPENDS $2000 ON STARFALL?  I like Ohrai, and the condition was awesome, but WHAT THE FUCK?

I will take mine off the wall........if someone can put me in touch with the underbidder  ;D
« Last Edit: September 03, 2012, 12:39:48 AM by kovacs01 »
Schan
Thanks.  You know what you did.
My Poster Gallery