Author Topic: Post-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....  (Read 2838335 times)

Dread_Pirate_Mel

Re: Post-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....
« Reply #3275 on: August 28, 2012, 01:00:46 PM »
While I do appreciate Steve's expert advice, I believe there is a method to Bruce's 'madness.'

I might be one of the few, but I enjoy Bruce's rambling emails.
True, I don't read them in total, but I usually go directly to the site.
They serve as an effective reminder.

What I like most about them -- and the site -- is the old-fashioned feel.
They harken back to a time before corporate, slick-looking sites became the order of the day.
It makes them comfortable -- like an old pair of sneakers.
They are distinct and reflect Bruce's collector mentality as well.

I'll bet that if Bruce changed his style, most of us would regret it and soon be pining for the good old days --

Ha-ha for once Ted and I agree on something!

The cartoons, the logo, the information overload are buried deep in the DNA of EMP.  Personally, I appreciate the more professional marketing of EMP's competitors but you can't argue with success and it does show true enthusiasm for the hobby.

Online 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #3276 on: August 28, 2012, 01:20:02 PM »
If anyone solely wants to give advice ONLY if it is followed, then they should not offer it to me

I am not offering advice only if it is to be followed, not sure how this may have been misinterpreted ???. Following request for suggestions, I have offered suggestions, which may be taken or left. Considering customers suggestions of course is part of the process of improving ones business.

I will just continue to interact with the site as I have been doing, and look forward to any future enhancements.

« Last Edit: August 28, 2012, 01:21:54 PM by 50s »

Bruce

« Reply #3277 on: August 28, 2012, 02:41:11 PM »
WOW! eMoviePoster.com brought together Ted and Mel.

Maybe we should work on healing our divided country.

Naaah. We'll just stick to doing our very level best to be the best movie paper seller we can be!

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #3278 on: August 28, 2012, 10:03:21 PM »

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #3279 on: August 28, 2012, 10:07:17 PM »
That seller has stumbled upon quite the amazing collection (if in fact the auction story is true for once)
Chris

Through the Stones

« Reply #3280 on: August 28, 2012, 11:57:33 PM »
Stones, I'd say that's because Bruce's auctions are hosted by a thrid party while his member area is hosted by his own servers, ergo you need two logins.

Well there you go!

Bruce

« Reply #3281 on: August 29, 2012, 12:02:12 AM »
Stones, I asked Phil to write a reply to you, and here's what he had to say:

"First, on your "double logging in" problem, are you first going to this page to log in: http://auctions.emovieposter.com/Logon.taf ? If you are, know that we actually have TWO eMoviePoster.com websites: one beginning with WWW and one beginning with AUCTIONS. Due to technical reasons, when you log into our site at "www.emovieposter.com", you can automatically be logged into both sites, BUT when you log in to our site at "auctions.emovieposter.com", it is actually a third party auction software site and it will NOT automatically log you into both sites. There is currently no way around this, EXCEPT to always log in from the main "www.emovieposter.com" site. There are two main ways to do this:
1) Go to our homepage (http://www.emovieposter.com/) and in our menu below our logo click on "Members" and log in there.
2) Go to any auction gallery (such as http://www.emovieposter.com/agallery/15.html) and use the log in box found at the top of that page.

TIP! If the above doesn't work the way I described, it is surely because of a setting on your account. To check it, go to your Member Preferences page at https://www.emovieposter.com/members/preferences.php , and then make sure the box labeled "Automatically log in to my Auction account when I log in to my eMoviePoster.com Member account" is checked and then click the "Update" button to save that change. And while you are there, look over the option options as you may find something of interest there.

As to Watch List/Want List....

You should be able to see closed items on your Watch List (if you are actually asking about your Want List, I will cover that below). When you go to the Watch List (http://auctions.emovieposter.com/WatchList.taf), there is an option at right called "Filter" and it gives you options for "Open/Closed/All". Check "Closed" or "All" and then click the "Show" button to see the Watch List items that have closed.

If you mean a way to see your Want List after the items have closed, that is currently not possible due to some programming complications. We have a major programming project that must be completed before we could include Want List results for closed items. We've made a note about this feature request and will get it added once the programming part is in place (but know that will surely be several months from now as we have a lot of irons in the fire!).

Incidentally, we've been hesitate to supply lots of "Watch List" links on the site because of the aforementioned www. vs auctions. log in complication. But we will definitely keep an eye out for new things we can do to improve the site experience. Thanks so much for your helpful input!

Thanks,
Phil"

Stones, if you have follow up questions, simply email them directly to phil at phillip@emovieposter.com

Online 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #3282 on: August 29, 2012, 01:06:10 AM »
(but know that will surely be several months from now as we have a lot of irons in the fire!).

An observation, I see Bruce and Phil talk similar. The use of 'but know' to start a sentence/breath (rather than mid sentence) is very unusual, for example on this forum only Bruce does this. Obviously Phil and Bruce being close work colleagues talk similar.

This is interesting information and would be great to have it on the website somewhere to be easily found.

Bruce

« Reply #3283 on: August 29, 2012, 07:23:53 AM »
I had nothing to do with what Phil wrote above (other than cutting and pasting it) so if he writes "like me" that must be due to his reading what I have written the past 14 years he has worked with me, and either consciously or unconsciously imitating "my style". But know that I will ask him to please develop a style all his own!

Offline Silhouette

• Hoarder
« Reply #3284 on: August 29, 2012, 07:31:03 AM »
Is Phil's surname Wages or is he in charge of Wages?

Know that I am just wondering... ;)
David

Offline ddilts399

• Hoarder
    • .5% of my collection online
« Reply #3285 on: August 29, 2012, 11:18:41 AM »
They tried to sell it in one shot awhile back, I did the math on what they sent pictures of(folders only so no clue if one sheets, inserts, lobbies, rerelease etc) and the asking price would have been too close to retail based on the quick math I did, so it wasnt in the cards, but I sure would have liked to have gotten it.

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #3286 on: August 29, 2012, 01:51:42 PM »
they tried to sell part of it after they had already sold quite a bit because they don't really deal in movie posters
I asked for more information from their sale as did others, but the information provided was scant and diffifcult to place with a buyer at $150k

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #3287 on: August 29, 2012, 02:55:39 PM »
Anybody know anything about this "estate." Pretty amazing stuff.

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #3288 on: August 29, 2012, 03:29:01 PM »
Anybody know anything about this "estate." Pretty amazing stuff.

yes.. someone came in and had movie posters
boom

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Offline wonka

• Hoarder
  • Reverend of the APF
"Ben. His name is Ben. But he's a Celtic fan, so Asshole will do too." -Thierry

Quote from: MoviePosterBid.com
I was mistaken,

Steven11788

« Reply #3290 on: September 01, 2012, 10:38:59 AM »
Did one of you guys snag this Halloween 2 concept poster?? Pretty damn neat..

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Original-Halloween-II-Concept-Art-Poster-Michael-Myers-John-Carpenter-Horror-Art-/180959603418?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a22086ada

i had bid in there somewhere, if it was OS size, i would shelled out the cash, or found a way to shell it out

Offline ddilts399

• Hoarder
    • .5% of my collection online
« Reply #3291 on: September 01, 2012, 10:51:55 AM »
Ditto, I didnt like the size either. If it would have been a one sheet size it probably would have ended up being 5 times that amount or more.

Steven11788

« Reply #3292 on: September 02, 2012, 10:21:01 AM »
Ditto, I didnt like the size either. If it would have been a one sheet size it probably would have ended up being 5 times that amount or more.

then i would of lost, lol

Matt

« Reply #3293 on: September 02, 2012, 05:28:55 PM »
Watched this one go a little nuts in the end. http://auctions.emovieposter.com/Bidding.taf?_function=detail&Auction_uid1=2676377

What's more shocking was the under bidder. Why was he bidding on a daybill? :o Please explain T.  :P

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #3294 on: September 02, 2012, 05:30:32 PM »
 laugh1

I have no excuse for myself as I went off on a weird tangent.  :P

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #3295 on: September 02, 2012, 05:34:24 PM »
Watched this one go a little nuts in the end. http://auctions.emovieposter.com/Bidding.taf?_function=detail&Auction_uid1=2676377

What's more shocking was the under bidder. Why was he bidding on a daybill? :o Please explain T.  :P

That's freakin hilarious.  It is NOT me.  I changed my name a while back and I guess someone "stole" my old ID.  Really funny.  If you know me, you know I have an aversion to Daybills, so it couldn't be me bidding on this Daybill.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Matt

« Reply #3296 on: September 02, 2012, 05:38:25 PM »
That's freakin hilarious.  It is NOT me.  I changed my name a while back and I guess someone "stole" my old ID.  Really funny.  If you know me, you know I have an aversion to Daybills, so it couldn't be me bidding on this Daybill.

T

Phew!!! I thought you'd gone mad.

So, is it you Z?

Offline Silhouette

• Hoarder
« Reply #3297 on: September 02, 2012, 05:40:36 PM »
What's more shocking was the under bidder. Why was he bidding on a daybill? :o Please explain T.  :P

Saw that and wondered the same thing...and I quote:

I never look at locandinas, inserts or daybills.

However I have now read his response, hmmm I wonder...he has admitted to owning 4 daybills, maybe he wanted a handful of Daybills...get it?

Fistful of Dollars...a handful....oh never mind...   :D
« Last Edit: September 02, 2012, 05:44:20 PM by Silhouette »
David

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #3298 on: September 02, 2012, 05:48:10 PM »
Still 100% true.

Although I could make an exception for a few cool Eastwood inserts.

Like these 2 I already own...

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #3299 on: September 02, 2012, 05:50:01 PM »

However I have now read his response, hmmm I wonder...he has admitted to owning 4 daybills, maybe he wanted a handful of Daybills...get it?

Fistful of Dollars...a handful....oh never mind...   :D

The only Daybills I own are, I think, Spielberg related and were a gift from Ves.

I do like Australian 1 sheets, though.

T
My Personal Collection