Author Topic: Post-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....  (Read 2837950 times)

Offline crowzilla

• Hoarder
    • Kaiju Poster Database
Re: Post-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....
« Reply #3225 on: August 15, 2012, 05:35:23 PM »
...I was always a little curious to see these posters under perform time and again...

When something sells at the same price 15-20 times in a row, at what point does it change from under performing to performing as expected?
The Online Reference to Japanese Sci-Fi Posters:
www.Kaijuposters.com

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #3226 on: August 15, 2012, 05:36:39 PM »
When something sells at the same price 15-20 times in a row, at what point does it change from under performing to performing as expected?

sm1

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Offline Filmlobbycards

• Hobbyist
« Reply #3227 on: August 15, 2012, 07:36:50 PM »
Oh I forgot..thanks Sean for those 5 Virgins of bali lobbies I got from your auction..!!
Rare and lovely..

As for jaws..well as the us one sheet was moving up in $$..I was hoping it would drag
The turk jaws along on its coattails..for years the turk poster sold for $50-100
Then bruce sold one last one sold for $343..so I was wondering what the next one would sell for
I forgot that my copies were rolled as well..
99.9999% of my collecting area is before 1945 so..the under performing versus performing as expected is something that is tougher to pinpoint..especially when many of my pieces have no previous sales record readily available..
however since these jaws/lee posters were literally the only modern posters I ever bought..mostly as a souvenir...the only thing I can add is that its nice to see that a great little poster did well
Tait

Steven11788

« Reply #3228 on: August 15, 2012, 10:04:22 PM »
ohwell. I believe alot of guys on here of the philosophy, of it will show up again...

Offline holiday

• Thierry's Nightmare a/k/a King Slut
  • Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
« Reply #3229 on: August 15, 2012, 11:33:11 PM »
Even when some posters go high, there are always some great deals on good posters at eMoviePoster.com! It is usually those who are very dedicated and look over ALL the items very carefully, searching for those that "fall between the cracks" that get rewarded.

It's true. I've seen some rare posters get through cheaply, and some common posters go through the roof.  I would say the dedication is one of years of looking, buying and selling, so that you have a real feel for where the market is.  That Akira B1 has not turned up otherwise for about 10 years, and the last time it turned up is the copy I have.  That's a rare poster, and considering that, the couple hundred I paid is just fine.  I also picked up a rolled advance for Clan of the Cave Bear that is equally rare if not rarer, that went for relatively cheap.  There are buys to be had. But, they are fewer and fewer I fear!
Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery

"What happened to all the people?" Mystified MPF Member, February 20, 2010

"I actually quite like the name Peanut."  Andy Neal on MOPO, April 22, 2010

Thierry:  Type the word APF on MPF and it spells: "Banned due to malicious unsolicited private message ".

Charlie to the guy who lost to EatBrie:  You just got "T-boned"!  Happens to the best of us...  Wait until you get "Holidazed"!

Thierry to Silhouette:  Please tell her it's a tiny part of my collection so she doesn't think I'm a total creep.  Oh wait, no, I am a total creep.

Offline kovacs01

• Global Moderator
  • Hoarder
    • My Poster Gallery
« Reply #3230 on: August 16, 2012, 12:30:37 AM »
That Akira B1 has not turned up otherwise for about 10 years, and the last time it turned up is the copy I have.  

Wolfgang at kinoart sold one about 18 months ago that was in as good or better condition than the one emovieposter just sold.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2012, 01:02:43 AM by kovacs01 »
Schan
Thanks.  You know what you did.
My Poster Gallery

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #3231 on: August 21, 2012, 10:52:45 PM »
Why so high?

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #3232 on: August 21, 2012, 11:20:00 PM »
Because people are stupid.
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline ddilts399

• Hoarder
    • .5% of my collection online
« Reply #3233 on: August 21, 2012, 11:26:12 PM »
Why so high?

This is almost unbelievable. Did an someone add an extra zero on there for a joke.

Offline 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #3234 on: August 21, 2012, 11:59:21 PM »
It is simply due to the marketing ability of the great man
« Last Edit: August 22, 2012, 12:13:00 AM by 50s »

Offline 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #3235 on: August 22, 2012, 12:11:57 AM »
From $160 to $2900 it was a battle between 2 people. I thought $32 was too much.

Offline Filmlobbycards

• Hobbyist
« Reply #3236 on: August 22, 2012, 12:54:58 AM »
Agreed..there was an unknown purpose behind bidding like that ...you'll find several record prices on "oddball" items that infer that we don't quite understand the rationale behind two bidders
Tait

Offline TheAnswerMVP2001

• Collector
  • Just Mellin'
    • Voluptuous Vinyl
« Reply #3237 on: August 22, 2012, 01:11:21 AM »
I was watching this, anyone want to own up to buying it?

I just bought one from an Italian vendor for $30, so I either got a steal of a deal, or this is another example of emovie inflation and this guy severely overpaid.  I'll give someone a discount and only ask $250 for my copy when it arrives if anyone wants to pay it.  ;D

http://www.emovieposter.com/agallery/archiveitem/5250879.html

« Last Edit: August 22, 2012, 01:54:48 AM by TheAnswerMVP2001 »

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #3238 on: August 22, 2012, 01:28:17 AM »
I bowed out without getting a bid in

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Offline 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #3239 on: August 22, 2012, 02:05:14 AM »
I was watching this, anyone want to own up to buying it?

I just bought one from an Italian vendor for $30, so I either got a steal of a deal, or this is another example of emovie inflation and this guy severely overpaid.  I'll give someone a discount and only ask $250 for my copy when it arrives if anyone wants to pay it.  ;D

It shows great art. If you got it in the same or better condition, then you got yours for a great price.  For someone who loves this art, the price is not bad imo and it is a big poster to boot. Would look great on a wall 

Offline Silhouette

• Hoarder
« Reply #3240 on: August 23, 2012, 08:08:10 PM »
If the person who bought this on Tuesday is a member of the forum I want to pass on my congrats - personally I think it is an absolutely lovely piece.

David

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #3241 on: August 26, 2012, 06:24:53 PM »
High price plus something else notable about this:

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #3242 on: August 26, 2012, 06:45:31 PM »
Saw him bid on another poster too.

Go ATLfun!  ;D

Offline enki

• Collector
« Reply #3243 on: August 26, 2012, 07:13:18 PM »
I really want one of those, but $1500 isn't in the budget right now. One day...

Steven11788

« Reply #3244 on: August 26, 2012, 08:46:36 PM »
no link, but that Zombie strippers was insanely high, 106.00 i believe, i want one, but not over 20.00 to me

Offline ATLfun

• Hoarder
« Reply #3245 on: August 27, 2012, 09:35:16 AM »
Saw him bid on another poster too.

Go ATLfun!  ;D

Okay, so my "hiatus" is over.   ;D  I made it 8 months without a single poster purchase.  Thank goodness Holiday has an easy password reset option.  I could not remember my forum password to save my life.

Bruce should be happy about that PF sales price.  It is a an instance of where his preview helped an existing auction.  I was looking to jump back in this month, and of all the posters I saw PF Lucky Strikes was my preferred choice.  Until the preview, I was just going to wait until the Mini/Major.

I have a couple more in my sights at the mini/major and then I can go on a new hiatus.   wynk

Brian

PS.  Bruce I am happy to see you removed all negative competition remarks from your website.  I always found that beneath you and your well  
         run company.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2012, 09:53:18 AM by ATLfun »
   "Please step away from the keyboard.  In my unsolicited opinion, you paid too much for your poster," said APF Price Police Officer Thierry.  

Bruce

« Reply #3246 on: August 27, 2012, 10:21:04 AM »
Thanks Brian. As to deleting comparisons, here is what I wrote in a different thread:

"As to comparisons [between our website and others], I think they are like comparing apples to oranges. Each company is different, and I leave it to others to decide who they choose to deal with. I am spending all my time on making eMoviePoster.com the very best it can be, and I am constantly analyzing the company, trying to find ANYTHING about it that can be improved in any way, and of course that is why I constantly solicit feedback from our users.

The only comparison that matters to me is comparing the eMoviePoster.com of three years ago (and five years ago,and ten years ago) to the eMoviePoster.com of today, and I see a ton of ways that we are now even better than we used to be (and I think we used to be pretty darn good!). I very much hope I will feel the same way three years from NOW!"

Offline enki

• Collector
« Reply #3247 on: August 27, 2012, 10:26:58 AM »
Thanks Brian. As to deleting comparisons, here is what I wrote in a different thread:

"As to comparisons [between our website and others], I think they are like comparing apples to oranges. Each company is different, and I leave it to others to decide who they choose to deal with. I am spending all my time on making eMoviePoster.com the very best it can be, and I am constantly analyzing the company, trying to find ANYTHING about it that can be improved in any way, and of course that is why I constantly solicit feedback from our users.

The only comparison that matters to me is comparing the eMoviePoster.com of three years ago (and five years ago,and ten years ago) to the eMoviePoster.com of today, and I see a ton of ways that we are now even better than we used to be (and I think we used to be pretty darn good!). I very much hope I will feel the same way three years from NOW!"

Suggestion: Fix the emails. Streamline them. I know I'm not the minority when I say they are painful to read. I'm sure there are lots of useful information and updates in them, but they are overwhelming and overloaded and summarily get dismissed as a whole.

Charlie

« Reply #3248 on: August 27, 2012, 10:49:53 AM »
 Okay, so my "hiatus" is over.   ;D  I made it 8 months without a single poster purchase.  Thank goodness Holiday has an easy password reset option.  I could not remember my forum password to save my life.

Welcome back Brian!

Offline ddilts399

• Hoarder
    • .5% of my collection online
« Reply #3249 on: August 27, 2012, 01:26:25 PM »
Suggestion: Fix the emails. Streamline them. I know I'm not the minority when I say they are painful to read. I'm sure there are lots of useful information and updates in them, but they are overwhelming and overloaded and summarily get dismissed as a whole.

+1 , too large = instant delete.