Author Topic: Post-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....  (Read 2837943 times)

Offline stewart boyle

• Hoarder
Re: Post-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....
« Reply #3075 on: July 01, 2012, 05:38:41 PM »
I am really glad that I got most of the key modern posters a long time ago.  I could not afford to rebuild the collection that I have now based on today's prices.  For fuck's sake, though, I had to pay $145 for a rare Lost TV poster for the first season that I have been watching for for a long time.  It's really hard to buy these days unless you're ready to fork over boatloads of cash!
Is it inflation H or just newbs looking for a quick kerching flip on new stuff?

Stew

Offline Silhouette

• Hoarder
« Reply #3076 on: July 01, 2012, 05:40:11 PM »
I am really glad that I got most of the key modern posters a long time ago. 

A long time ago? Ummm technically that means you don't have any modern day posters... :P
David

Offline Louie D.

• Hoarder
« Reply #3077 on: July 01, 2012, 05:52:25 PM »
Modern posters are doing okay despite the dislike of some.

Yup, that's why I'm getting rid of all my vintage crap!

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #3078 on: July 01, 2012, 05:53:13 PM »
Yup, that's why I'm getting rid of all my vintage crap!

:P

Charlie

« Reply #3079 on: July 01, 2012, 05:59:25 PM »
We have the best buyers there are. If any of you have any "better" modern posters to consign, why not bundle them up (super-carefully) and send them our way? That way, it will be YOU who is quietly chuckling next time when the boys get together and are amazed at the high prices.

That's Plan A. Plan B would be to list them on eBay or anywhere else at fixed prices and watch them sit and sit and sit, and maybe make a sale every week or two.

You pick. Of course, this is only if you want to sell them. Personally, I think many of them will go quite a bit higher still (to the point where people will look back nostalgically at some of Dave L.'s 2012 prices!)

Bruce

P.S. But NEVER at Pretty Woman's 2012 price!

Yep,  Already made one tube...  Been going through my stuff to cull doubles and what not...  I hope I can get some of these prices on my stuff....

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #3080 on: July 01, 2012, 06:25:01 PM »
Yep,  Already made one tube...  Been going through my stuff to cull doubles and what not...  I hope I can get some of these prices on my stuff....

How many are you sending?

Charlie

« Reply #3081 on: July 01, 2012, 06:39:03 PM »

How many are you sending?

I can only get about 30 to 40 in one of Bruce's tubes...  I have another 50/60 sorted out with half of my rolled stuff left to go through....  Bunch of doubles and triples...  I imagine I'll send a 100+ rolled posters.

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #3082 on: July 01, 2012, 09:04:13 PM »
I can only get about 30 to 40 in one of Bruce's tubes...  I have another 50/60 sorted out with half of my rolled stuff left to go through....  Bunch of doubles and triples...  I imagine I'll send a 100+ rolled posters.

Cool. I dont have anything like that in doubles.

Anyway, good luck with it all man.

Offline holiday

• Thierry's Nightmare a/k/a King Slut
  • Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
« Reply #3083 on: July 01, 2012, 10:25:01 PM »
Is it inflation H or just newbs looking for a quick kerching flip on new stuff?

Stew

I think there are legitimately more collectors out there who have found movie posters.  The news of big auction sales helps.  Then there's the advertising that Bruce, Rich and now Sean do with the auctions.  And, there's the cool factor of having original movie posters.  That's what's driving the prices, and that's good.  Not good for buying, but good for the hobby as a whole.
Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery

"What happened to all the people?" Mystified MPF Member, February 20, 2010

"I actually quite like the name Peanut."  Andy Neal on MOPO, April 22, 2010

Thierry:  Type the word APF on MPF and it spells: "Banned due to malicious unsolicited private message ".

Charlie to the guy who lost to EatBrie:  You just got "T-boned"!  Happens to the best of us...  Wait until you get "Holidazed"!

Thierry to Silhouette:  Please tell her it's a tiny part of my collection so she doesn't think I'm a total creep.  Oh wait, no, I am a total creep.

Offline Silhouette

• Hoarder
« Reply #3084 on: July 01, 2012, 10:52:17 PM »
Not good for buying, but good for the hobby as a whole.

It will be perceived as not good for buying as the prices will (may) be driven up due to demand and 'old collectors' will start moaning about the good old days when posters cost [insert value here] - but then again their own collection increases in value exponentially and unless you intend to be buried with it then that can't be all bad.

Absolutely agree with the statement good for the hobby as a whole.

David

ozcinemagic

« Reply #3085 on: July 01, 2012, 11:02:46 PM »
In this case I think ebay has had a much greater influence than the dedicated poster auctioneers. Heaps of buyers pick up on posters from a simple keyword search. I have sold plenty to dog lovers, car lovers, truck lovers, martial arts lovers etc etc etc. They buy one because it has an image they like, then next thing they've got the bug!
But no matter where it's generated, the awareness is great!  :D

M.R

Offline enki

• Collector
« Reply #3086 on: July 02, 2012, 12:12:40 AM »
I am really glad that I got most of the key modern posters a long time ago.  I could not afford to rebuild the collection that I have now based on today's prices.  For fuck's sake, though, I had to pay $145 for a rare Lost TV poster for the first season that I have been watching for for a long time.  It's really hard to buy these days unless you're ready to fork over boatloads of cash!

You're lucky I forgot that Lost poster was ending tonight....  :-*

Offline holiday

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
« Reply #3087 on: July 02, 2012, 04:44:32 PM »

I'm sure!
Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery

Thierry:  Type the word APF on MPF and it spells: "Banned due to malicious unsolicited private message ".

Charlie to the guy who lost to EatBrie:  You just got "T-boned"!  Happens to the best of us...  Wait until you get "Holidazed"!

Thierry to Silhouette:  Please tell her it's a tiny part of my collection so she doesn't think I'm a total creep.  Oh wait, no, I am a total creep.

Offline archie leach

• Hoarder
« Reply #3088 on: July 02, 2012, 10:29:34 PM »

I just wish that I could forget that last, terrible season...

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #3089 on: July 02, 2012, 10:38:29 PM »

What's wrong with "let's kill the hero, not explain anything, most of the scenes will be dream sequences, and everybody ends up in heaven!"  Sounds like a winner to me....

And changing the subject, this poster will terminate your poster budget:

« Last Edit: July 02, 2012, 10:44:33 PM by Dread_Pirate_Mel »

Offline enki

• Collector
« Reply #3090 on: July 02, 2012, 11:10:24 PM »

The season as a whole (minus the last episode) was fine. But the last episode was a cop out. If a group of writers wants to build this complex maze of interweaving stories that get more and more confusing as time goes on, with plot twists and random bits and pieces of answers (which of course only ask more questions) throughout seven years, great. But you damn well better at least answer those questions at the end. Trying to say "it's up to each person to come up with their own answers" is just a load of bullshit. Anyone can come up with craqzy stories that make no sense. But a good storyteller will be able to tie everything together in the end. And that, IMHO, they failed to deliver.

Offline holiday

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
« Reply #3091 on: July 03, 2012, 09:52:33 PM »
For once, I wasn't the guy paying obscene prices for Japanese posters!
Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #3092 on: July 03, 2012, 10:06:15 PM »
For once, I wasn't the guy paying obscene prices for Japanese posters!

Maybe cause you have em all. I know I enjoyed watching the mini bidding war for that DK B1 but you already have one of those.  8)

I know its not from 1864 but I wish I had one.  ;D

Offline archie leach

• Hoarder
« Reply #3093 on: July 03, 2012, 10:56:38 PM »
The season as a whole (minus the last episode) was fine. But the last episode was a cop out. If a group of writers wants to build this complex maze of interweaving stories that get more and more confusing as time goes on, with plot twists and random bits and pieces of answers (which of course only ask more questions) throughout seven years, great. But you damn well better at least answer those questions at the end. Trying to say "it's up to each person to come up with their own answers" is just a load of bullshit. Anyone can come up with craqzy stories that make no sense. But a good storyteller will be able to tie everything together in the end. And that, IMHO, they failed to deliver.

I think that the season started OK, but steadily devolved until it reached the ultimate middle finger of C.J. Cregg delivering the lines 'Every question I answer will simply lead to another question. So you should just rest and be grateful that you are alive.'  That is how little the creators of Lost thought of the audience...

Offline holiday

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
« Reply #3094 on: July 03, 2012, 11:08:13 PM »
Maybe cause you have em all. I know I enjoyed watching the mini bidding war for that DK B1 but you already have one of those.  8)

I know its not from 1864 but I wish I had one.  ;D

Yeah, I am grateful that I have some of those like the DK.
Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery

Offline enki

• Collector
« Reply #3095 on: July 03, 2012, 11:08:35 PM »
True. I can understand leaving a few things open for interpretation. Like...did they all die in the original plane crash and was the Island just some shared life-after-death experience and none of it really happened? That's fine, since it gives people something to think about and argue over.

But all of the actual details and components to the story could (should) have been answered.

One of the main reasons why so many people loved the show and watched every episode was for the quest for answers. Every week, we felt closer and closer to The Truth. But in the end, nothing. Which IMHO was just a slap in the face to all of the loyal fans.

Offline 110x75

• Hoarder
« Reply #3096 on: July 05, 2012, 10:40:10 AM »
Original Latvian herald for "Metropolis" went for almost a grand

http://www.ebay.com/itm/380450564224?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649
Matias
http://110x75.blogspot.com.ar/

IG: @cinepapelarchivo

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #3097 on: July 05, 2012, 10:49:36 AM »
WOW!  That's awesome.  Think I would frame either image and enjoy.  Good eye Matias. 
Chris

Offline 110x75

• Hoarder
« Reply #3098 on: July 05, 2012, 11:10:14 AM »
It's probably as rare as good looking. Lucky new owner!
Matias
http://110x75.blogspot.com.ar/

IG: @cinepapelarchivo

Offline oldposterho

• Collector
    • Peter's Movie Posters
« Reply #3099 on: July 05, 2012, 01:13:44 PM »
Might have been used in Latvia but with the Berlin printer and all in German, it sure seems like it qualifies as a country of origin item - and for "Metropolis" that's probably worth a grand.  Visually appealing as well.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2012, 01:14:11 PM by oldposterho »
For sale and trade posters: *Here*