Author Topic: Post-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....  (Read 2837085 times)

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
Re: Post-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....
« Reply #2975 on: June 18, 2012, 12:36:04 AM »
That Bride teaser was never going to sell - it was in the auction purely as a promotional device...
Chris

Bruce

« Reply #2976 on: June 18, 2012, 12:45:00 AM »
The boys in the peanut gallery thought it was going to be the first million dollar poster.

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #2977 on: June 18, 2012, 12:46:53 AM »
The boys in the peanut gallery thought it was going to be the first million dollar poster.

Nope - that'll be when I sell my Pretty Woman one sheet through Dave (in about 1,000 years or so to allow for sufficient inflation)
Chris

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #2978 on: June 18, 2012, 02:34:34 AM »
I wonder if anyone has even sold something like that collection before?

I have, and the price isn't out of line at all

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Offline enki

• Collector
« Reply #2979 on: June 18, 2012, 08:51:01 AM »
There's two mentalities; as buyer and as seller. At the moment you are in buyer mode. When the time comes to sell that nice Revenge poster you have, then a switch will flick in your head.

True, but within reason.

For example, a week or so ago on Storage Wars (yes, I like the show), Barry found a Revenge crew jacket. Very cool. Anyway, he went to see some "hollywood memorabilia experts" to get it appraised. Long story short, they mentioned the Revenge poster and said that they start at $5000. Now, we all know that simply isn't true. In fact, they didn't even differentiate between the dated and undated versions. But, I know enough to know that their pricing is utter BS. Even Dave doesn't try to sell them for that much. Fortunately, even if someone was foolish enough to have one, watch that episode, and think "OMG, I'm going to sell mine for $5,000!", there are enough of these posters in circulation with historical price data to hopefully set the record straight.

However, with this poster, the latter isn't the case. There is no record of selling prices for similar ones (at least documented that I could find), so the seller had to go solely on their sentimental value as well as what other "Experts" told him it was worth. And the "Experts" he spoke with gave him five-digit values. Apparently he also tracked down other owners who said that their posters were worth $15,000. But, notice that none of these so-called experts actually offered to buy it for that amount. And when he put it up for auction, he made his description clear that all of these high-rollers were going to be fighting over it, which probably scared some people off.

In the end, I think we really don't know what the true "value" of this poster is. I think if it was listed again, with no reserve, and a less.....threatening?....description, and the market was able to make a determination, then we would have an idea what it could actually go for.

Offline CineMasterpieces

• Collector
    • CineMasterpieces Movie Posters
« Reply #2980 on: June 18, 2012, 11:46:19 AM »

The best place for it would be on our site listed at a fixed price.

http://www.cinemasterpieces.com/consignment.htm#dfg

Offline enki

• Collector
« Reply #2981 on: June 18, 2012, 11:58:08 AM »
Possibly.

But your 25% consignment fee could possibly turn the seller off. Based on the comments posted by people he spoke with prior to the eBay listing, the reason why he went that route was because he wanted to minimize the fees so he could get as much money as possible. That, and the fact that his reserve price wouldn't be honored, is probably why he didn't use a real auction house (EMP, HA, PIH, etc.).

But regardless of where/how he sells it, I don't think even you would be able to get a $15,000 buyer for him.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2012, 11:58:56 AM by enki »

Offline CineMasterpieces

• Collector
    • CineMasterpieces Movie Posters
« Reply #2982 on: June 18, 2012, 06:04:32 PM »

You don't know us very well do you  :-*

I'm certain we could get A LOT for it, a lot more than he could get on his own. I don't know if we could get 15k, but it is not impossible and we would certainly try to get that if that is what he wants. We sell posters, especially Star Wars and James Bond posters for higher prices than practically anybody.

For example, we just sold a rolled Star Wars style A one sheet for $2195.00 on eBay. I could list dozens of other similar examples where we sell items for 5x or more what they generally go for elsewhere.

The guy has 3 choices: 1. Send it to us and have a good chance of selling it at a fixed price for A LOT. 2. Send it to an auction house and take his chances at auction. 3. Keep trying to sell it by himself.

A 25% consignment fee is well worth it if you don't have the ability to sell it yourself.

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #2983 on: June 18, 2012, 06:08:24 PM »
A 25% consignment fee is well worth it if you don't have the ability to sell it yourself.

totally correct, but too many people think they're smarter than those of us who know this business

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Offline enki

• Collector
« Reply #2984 on: June 18, 2012, 07:19:50 PM »
You are correct - I have no idea how well your fixed price listings do. I know you give the prices and "SOLD" next to certain items, but without seeing the date sold (and the specific selling price, not just the asking price), it's hard to get an idea of how often items sell for high dollar amounts and the overall performance.

I'm certain you do get a lot of people to pay higher premiums at your site though. I know I wouldn't pay $2195 for a rolled Style A, but if others go that route, more power to them. As the expression goes, no one ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people. One one of the rare occasions I was selling an item on eBay, I had two people get into a bidding war and pay $50 more for an item ($350 selling price) then they could have gotten at close to a hundred simultaneous BIN auctions.

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #2985 on: June 18, 2012, 10:12:15 PM »
I have sold a handful of posters through Dave and each time I got more (after the 25% consignment fee) than I was expecting to get if it was auctioned (based on past prices and factoring in consignment fees)... sometimes MUCH more.  It takes time though... some posters were listed for a year or more.

Offline Silhouette

• Hoarder
« Reply #2986 on: June 19, 2012, 08:17:39 PM »
http://auctions.emovieposter.com/Bidding.taf?_function=detail&Auction_uid1=2600195

My wife loves this movie and so wanted this poster for a max of $500 - at $560 I gave up, but TBH I don't care, at least she will think I tried and will love me for that... ;)
David

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #2987 on: June 19, 2012, 11:06:50 PM »
http://auctions.emovieposter.com/Bidding.taf?_function=detail&Auction_uid1=2600195

My wife loves this movie and so wanted this poster for a max of $500 - at $560 I gave up, but TBH I don't care, at least she will think I tried and will love me for that... ;)

Not that there's anything wrong with that ;)
Chris

Offline Silhouette

• Hoarder
« Reply #2988 on: June 19, 2012, 11:18:41 PM »
Not that there's anything wrong with that ;)

Gawd...I hope she doesn't lurk this forum and read that comment of mine....

Luv ya honey!  <OO
David

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #2989 on: June 19, 2012, 11:20:36 PM »
Gawd...I hope she doesn't lurk this forum and read that comment of mine....

Luv ya honey!  <OO

What's that poster worth un-autographed?  You sure she doesn't just love the actors? 

I guess with Ledger's on there it is at least a bit unique... 
Chris

Offline Silhouette

• Hoarder
« Reply #2990 on: June 19, 2012, 11:29:09 PM »
What's that poster worth un-autographed?  You sure she doesn't just love the actors?  

I guess with Ledger's on there it is at least a bit unique...  

Well it ranks as one of her fav movies behind Romeo and Juliet ('68), Queen Margot, Cinema Paradiso, To Kill a Mockingbird and Gladiator. As a poster I figure it's uninteresting to her and not worth much (to buy) either; but signed (and you'll never get Heath Ledger to sign another poster like that), coupled with it being one of her fav movies...and that's why it sold for $585, because someone else thought the same. Me, I have never been an autograph hunter so I don't quite get it, but to each his/her own
« Last Edit: June 19, 2012, 11:30:20 PM by Silhouette »
David

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #2991 on: June 20, 2012, 09:19:33 AM »
Get one of these, sign it 'Tiger Woods' and you're good to go...

whip

Offline enki

• Collector
« Reply #2992 on: June 20, 2012, 10:16:07 AM »
 laugh1

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #2993 on: June 20, 2012, 01:24:35 PM »
A R1950s French poster for KING KONG. It measures 39x52. It needs a bit of TLC and looks a bit faded but it is still a cool poster. I have not seen this particular style before. The high bid was $458.00

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&_trksid=p4340.l2557&hash=item564aceee87&item=370622262919&nma=true&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&rt=nc&si=B7FCY432OHvSPkvJXZGlB8sDEDo%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

-Jeff

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #2994 on: June 20, 2012, 01:40:09 PM »
It was meant for distribution in France's African colonies (notice the upper left).  I've seen another African/French KK poster that was about half this size before, but that one reused the Belgian artwork.  This is definitely a unique design.

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #2995 on: June 20, 2012, 02:00:52 PM »
I think once it's restored it will look very nice!
Chris

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic

-Jeff

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #2997 on: June 20, 2012, 04:02:26 PM »
I think that image is #1 for 50s Sci-Fi (even better than Forbidden Planet)
Chris

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #2998 on: June 20, 2012, 04:14:06 PM »
Its very iconic; nothing like frisky aliens carrying away the damsel in distress.  thumbup

-Jeff

Offline 110x75

• Hoarder
« Reply #2999 on: June 20, 2012, 09:23:30 PM »
A R1950s French poster for KING KONG. It measures 39x52. It needs a bit of TLC and looks a bit faded but it is still a cool poster. I have not seen this particular style before. The high bid was $458.00

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&_trksid=p4340.l2557&hash=item564aceee87&item=370622262919&nma=true&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&rt=nc&si=B7FCY432OHvSPkvJXZGlB8sDEDo%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

That's an amazing poster Jeff! I suppose it found its definitive home in New Zealand...  :)
Matias
http://110x75.blogspot.com.ar/

IG: @cinepapelarchivo