Author Topic: Post-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....  (Read 2838009 times)

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
Re: Post-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....
« Reply #2825 on: May 26, 2012, 10:45:10 AM »
Yeah, they were creepy together.

Doesn't lynaron have some original paper hanging on his walls?

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #2826 on: May 26, 2012, 10:45:39 AM »
Pretty sure the bastid does!
Chris

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #2827 on: May 26, 2012, 11:37:22 AM »
That man has paper to die for.
Would love to see him start a thread and expose the beauties that he doesn't have framed.
That would be a treat.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2012, 03:37:52 PM by brude »

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #2828 on: May 26, 2012, 01:58:03 PM »
Sad to report, the guy who bought the Goldfinger repro we all discussed on the Mid Auction thread a few weeks back confirmed it was a repro, and has filed for his money back from the seller. The good news is it's looks like he will be re-funded.

The Sadder news is he never checked here, and isn't a member... I keep saying to people, we have a great cross-section of collectors on here who know their stuff. Don't delay, join APF today... ;)   
It's more than a Hobby...

Offline crowzilla

• Hoarder
    • Kaiju Poster Database
« Reply #2830 on: May 30, 2012, 12:09:42 PM »
After Bruce's disappointing results on this poster last year, I thought maybe the top end of the market for this piece had dried up, but I am very pleased to report that is not the case.
Sold for $33,000 today.  :)

http://movieposterexchange.com/buy.php?mode=poster_details&auction_id=1068

The Online Reference to Japanese Sci-Fi Posters:
www.Kaijuposters.com

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #2831 on: May 30, 2012, 12:19:40 PM »
That is one nice poster.....

And a nice price too, it is good to know some of the high end buyers are still out there... 
It's more than a Hobby...

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #2832 on: May 30, 2012, 02:13:59 PM »
After Bruce's disappointing results on this poster last year, I thought maybe the top end of the market for this piece had dried up, but I am very pleased to report that is not the case.

Wasn't Bruce's very faded?
Chris

Charlie

« Reply #2833 on: May 30, 2012, 02:19:32 PM »

Yes it was...  If I remember the story right the guy had it hanging up and after watching one go off in the Halloween auction; here I pulled the story below. But what I think he is saying that he duped somebody into spending an extra ten grand when these two went for 20K and 17K...  Must be nice having Leonardo as a client... ;) 

However that being said the 33K copy was in much better condition than both of Bruce's...

Link...Note that this is another example of the ultra-rare War of The Worlds style B half-sheet, which sold in our Halloween auction for $20,777. Yet we wrote in our Halloween auction that we had never previously had this poster at auction, despite actively seeking it for 23 years! So how did we come to get it for this auction (and also the equally rare style B half-sheet from Invasion of the Body Snatchers)? Here's what happened: After we auctioned the War of The Worlds style B half-sheet, one of our consignors looked at his example on the wall (which he had framed over ten years before), and to his dismay, he realized it had faded over those ten years. Worse yet, he had it framed side-by-side with the Invasion of the Body Snatchers style B half-sheet (he also had a framed "The Thing" half-sheet on the same wall), and all three had faded (the framer he had used was an expensive one, and they had assured him that they had used high quality UV Plexiglas, but they had saved money by using non UV instead). After it completely sunk in what had happened, he thought it would make sense to consign both of them to us, so that he could put the sad affair out of his mind (the framer who did not use UV glass is out of business, so he has no one to sue). While the reds in this poster have indeed faded to where they are now a light orange, the poster still displays well, and it will be up to our bidders to determine how much of a detraction this defect is (and this really IS a very rare poster!). Also note that this poster has been paperbacked. What is paperbacking? This means the poster was backed onto a paper backing (acid-free), that is similar in feel to that of the original poster (except somewhat heavier). It is a similar process to linenbacking, except that most collectors use linenbacking for one-sheets and paperbacking for half-sheets, inserts, window cards, and lobby cards.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2012, 02:20:29 PM by Charlie »

Offline crowzilla

• Hoarder
    • Kaiju Poster Database
« Reply #2834 on: May 30, 2012, 03:21:29 PM »

Was it?

Looks pretty solid to me (perhaps you are confusing it with the second copy he sold).
I remember commenting at the time that the price realized was at least a 10-year (public) low on the title.
And with the way early horror had been depressed since the Haggard scandal I was worried that the depression had spread to 50s sci-fi also.
Nice to see some things back on the uptick.

http://www.emovieposter.com/agallery/archiveitem/8433386.html
The Online Reference to Japanese Sci-Fi Posters:
www.Kaijuposters.com

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #2835 on: May 30, 2012, 03:36:16 PM »
Sean is correct that it was the second copy that Bruce sold that was faded because the owner hadn't placed it properly within his home to prevent direct or indirect sunlight.

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Online Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #2836 on: May 30, 2012, 03:54:24 PM »

But what I think he is saying that he duped somebody into spending an extra ten grand when these two went for 20K and 17K...  Must be nice having Leonardo as a client... ;)  

Real nice, Charlie.  

Congrats on the sale, Sean.

Sean is correct that it was the second copy that Bruce sold that was faded because the owner hadn't placed it properly within his home to prevent direct or indirect sunlight.

Looking back on it, I find it amazing how I used to leave the blinds open all day, most days, with a lot of indirect/reflected sunlight shining on all my framed stuff.  But now, after various things, including the War of the Worlds half sheet Bruce had that was faded, it was compelling enough for me to change my outlook and now I almost always keep my blinds closed.  I finally came to my senses and figured that even though I have fancy UV windows and UV plexi, these posters have lasted this many years, a few of them several decades, and I should take care of them as best as possible.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2012, 04:31:53 PM by NeoLoco »

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #2837 on: May 30, 2012, 04:07:17 PM »
Was it?

Looks pretty solid to me (perhaps you are confusing it with the second copy he sold).

To be fair - you didn't really specify which one you were referring to.

And I had forgotten two were sold so close together...
Chris

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #2838 on: May 30, 2012, 04:08:28 PM »
Oh and congrats on the $3,300 commission  clap
Chris

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #2839 on: May 30, 2012, 04:09:03 PM »

Congrats on a great sale, Sean!  clap clap

(Even though you "duped" someone into paying $10 grand more than they should have).  ;)

-Jeff

Charlie

« Reply #2840 on: May 30, 2012, 04:48:57 PM »

Congrats on a great sale, Sean!  clap clap

(Even though you "duped" someone into paying $10 grand more than they should have).  ;)

Congrats Sean your site is really great and its starting to pay off!

Pay no attention to me; Hater's Gonna Hate and Spenders Gonna Spend. And I hate big spenders because I can't be one....  At least a 33K one; maybe just a hundreds or thousands of potential dollars one...  ;)

Man I feel testy today more than normal. - probably because I had to work all memorial day weekend and some mamby pamby rich kid got to buy a WOTW half sheet with the money his daddy left him or money he duped out of someone else.  33K!, I hope that guys trips on his way to the mail box.

Charlie

« Reply #2841 on: May 30, 2012, 04:54:23 PM »
Looks pretty solid to me

The copy you sold was much better... Side-by-Side?

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #2842 on: May 30, 2012, 05:00:46 PM »
Bruce's copy-L; Sean's-R

And Bruce's other:

« Last Edit: May 30, 2012, 05:03:57 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #2843 on: May 30, 2012, 05:08:17 PM »
Well in my opinion Sean's presents much, much better and perhaps that explains the much higher result
Chris

Charlie

« Reply #2844 on: May 30, 2012, 05:34:29 PM »
It looks like if the faded one hadn't faded it would be champ here; but appears touched up...  Yep it was paperbacked.  Another reason Sean's might have sold for more it being unrestored....
« Last Edit: May 30, 2012, 05:37:04 PM by Charlie »

• Post-aholic
« Reply #2845 on: May 30, 2012, 05:43:08 PM »
are you certain the one sold on MPE doesn't have a "boosted colors image"?

it looks so much more colorful & bright than the others.. Or do you folks only accuse Heritage of doing this???

not that I'm saying it is.. I'm just askin'

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder

-------

Offline stewart boyle

• Hoarder

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #2847 on: May 30, 2012, 05:54:40 PM »
are you certain the one sold on MPE doesn't have a "boosted colors image"?

it looks so much more colorful & bright than the others.. Or do you folks only accuse Heritage of doing this???

not that I'm saying it is.. I'm just askin'

Why don't you ask Sean or better yet the seller Rich?

PS: Heritage DOES do it occasionally
Chris

• Post-aholic
« Reply #2848 on: May 30, 2012, 07:17:02 PM »
Why don't you ask Sean or better yet the seller Rich?

Chris

youneed to bone up on your reading comprehension. I'm not asking if the poster has had it's colors boosted.
I'm asking why some members here, who constantly bicker about this issue where it concerns Heritage are not equally asking about it here. Of course, I know the answer.. it's because some people have a boner for Heritage, or people just like to gossip like a sewing circle.

however, I sure hope you folks are smart enough to get the total sarcasm of my post

-------

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #2849 on: May 30, 2012, 09:05:19 PM »
Chris

youneed to bone up on your reading comprehension. I'm not asking if the poster has had it's colors boosted.
I'm asking why some members here, who constantly bicker about this issue where it concerns Heritage are not equally asking about it here. Of course, I know the answer.. it's because some people have a boner for Heritage, or people just like to gossip like a sewing circle.

however, I sure hope you folks are smart enough to get the total sarcasm of my post

The only "bone upping" I will be doing is for Heritage.

Now maybe if you decided to finally auction some nice title cards again we would see how that would affect my loins...
Chris