Author Topic: Post-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....  (Read 2837170 times)

Offline Ari

• Curator
    • OFFALEATERS HOUSE OF THE DAMNED
Re: Post-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....
« Reply #2726 on: May 07, 2012, 10:57:13 AM »
yeah, haha its a beauty (hm) ;)
An Error Has Occurred!
You can't report your own post to the moderator, that doesn't make sense!

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #2727 on: May 07, 2012, 11:00:05 AM »
E.E.Clive wasn't in Frankenstein, he first appeared in Bride as the Burgomaster....

I think some one got him mixed up with Colin Clive....
It's more than a Hobby...

Offline 110x75

• Hoarder
« Reply #2728 on: May 07, 2012, 11:08:35 AM »
E.E.Clive wasn't in Frankenstein, he first appeared in Bride as the Burgomaster....

I think some one got him mixed up with Colin Clive....

Wich makes this daybill even better  ;D
Matias
http://110x75.blogspot.com.ar/

IG: @cinepapelarchivo

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #2729 on: May 07, 2012, 11:14:31 AM »
It's always amusing that people think of the Monster as put together with nuts and bolts, like a Robot. And as the Name is on the poster...

Offline teamweapon

• Collector
I don't know much, but i do know what my eyes are telling me!
Sean

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #2731 on: May 07, 2012, 12:09:21 PM »
My favorite line from Whale's THE INVISIBLE MAN:

"We'll begin with a reign of terror,
a few murders here and there,
murders of great men,
murders of little men,
just to show we make no distinction."

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #2732 on: May 07, 2012, 12:29:42 PM »
Even the Moons Frightened of Me, frightened to death....

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #2733 on: May 07, 2012, 12:30:54 PM »
Even the Moons Frightened of Me, frightened to death....

Everyone except a guinea pig named Archie.... ;)

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #2734 on: May 07, 2012, 01:08:49 PM »
It's always amusing that people think of the Monster as put together with nuts and bolts, like a Robot. And as the Name is on the poster...

More like with sutures .. ;)   That could have been interesting, methinks.

I guess by listing both E E Clive and Lionel Belmore, the Burgomeisters from both FRANK films could be kept of the same bill.   ;D

« Last Edit: May 07, 2012, 01:12:01 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #2735 on: May 07, 2012, 01:22:01 PM »
I maybe should have rephrased British as Northern British, Una O'Conner, whom I believe gets on a lot of Americans nerves, and is the main reason of them not liking the film as much. She is a typical Northern Wifey, being brought up in the North of England I can see that character in a lot of women of a certain generation (more so when I was young).  Personally I think She's great, and the old, "what's the worst thing in Bride of Frankenstein"...Una o'Conner, argument.  I think she only adds to make the film the classic it is...  

I think where the Invisible Man gets a bad wrap, is he's not a Monster, in the classic sense like Frankenstein's Monster, The Mummy, Creature, etc these films get banded together as a genre, yet they touch on many. The effects were the thing that got me as a kid, like Kong, Fulton's effects were ground breaking, and audience's at the time must have been astounded. Sound was new, never mind a man being invisible on the screen... ;)

Which other Monster movie is worse, from that period.... I would have to say None, I love them all, with all there faults. House of Dracula is always slated as poor, and Yes those films were running out of steam by then, but I still enjoy it every time I watch it. Unfortunately I'm a fan of all Universals Horror, Monster, Sci-fi, thriller, etc films.... I can think of plenty of new films that come NO where near as entertaining as The Invisible Man.... Do try to enjoy these for what they are, Great pieces of Entertainment.        

Thumbs up to Una O'Conner, too, Paul. She is a pistol, in this, BRIDE and even years later in her smaller role in WITNESS FOR THE PROSECUTION. Her added, over the top campiness in BRIDE is what Whale wanted. What more could you ask for, when Ernest Thesiger was also in the mix-- needlepoint and all.  ;)

-Jeff

Offline archie leach

• Hoarder
« Reply #2736 on: May 07, 2012, 09:18:47 PM »
Far more than you could ever offer, dude.  wynk

Ok, just so you can continue your BS in your sandbox, here ya go...

The only thing truly pathetic is your constant stalking, 'Mr. Moderator'.  Responding to me is one thing when we are having a rare conversation (I have long since stopped engaging with you).  Responding nearly ever time I have discussions or make a comment directed towards SOMEONE ELSE is pure and entirely purposeful TROLL bullshit.

Heck, the CHFB forum that Paul mentions created a specific rule to ban this exact activity.  That a 'moderator' enagages in such an activity here is an embarassment to the entire forum.

Grow up already...

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #2737 on: May 07, 2012, 09:27:47 PM »

The only thing truly pathetic is your constant stalking, 'Mr. Moderator'.  Responding to me is one thing when we are having a rare conversation (I have long since stopped engaging with you).  Responding nearly ever time I have discussions or make a comment directed towards SOMEONE ELSE is pure and entirely purposeful TROLL bullshit.

Heck, the CHFB forum that Paul mentions created a specific rule to ban this exact activity.  That a 'moderator' enagages in such an activity here is an embarassment to the entire forum.

Grow up already...

You really need help, dude.
Maybe you should get some cheese to go with that whine.

Offline archie leach

• Hoarder
« Reply #2738 on: May 07, 2012, 09:43:52 PM »
That's what I thought...

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #2739 on: May 07, 2012, 09:51:40 PM »

Maybe you should get some cheese to go with that whine.

laugh1

Bruce

« Reply #2740 on: May 08, 2012, 08:16:51 PM »
Pardon me for interrupting this love-fest, but I wanted to point out this auction that just closed (I didn't dare post it in the mid-auction thread for fear of "outing it".

I think this is incredibly cool, and I think if the cheese man had been here, he would have been all over it.

Tomorrow We Live (released in the U.S. as "At Dawn We Die"), the 1943 George King English World War II (WWII) Occupied France wartime military melodrama ("The FIRST story of the rape of France!"; "An unforgettable story with an unforgettable cast!"; "Husbandless women facing war's penalties! ALONE!"; about a Frenchman in Occupied France who wants to escape to England, and give the English information he has gathered about a German submarine base) starring John Clements, Godfrey Tearle, Hugh Sinclair, Greta Gynt, and Judy Kelley. Note that an oddity of this movie is that it was originally called "Tomorrow We Live" in England, and yet, when it was released in the U.S., the title was changed 180 degrees to "At Dawn We Die", and the movie was also given the lurid tagline of "The story of the rape of France!". Also, note that by 1943, there were quite a few French actors who had taken refuge in England and America, and the filmmakers could certainly have cast real French men and women in the lead roles, yet they are all played by English actors!

Bruce

« Reply #2741 on: May 08, 2012, 08:19:23 PM »
How's this for a completely different ad campaign?

Offline archie leach

• Hoarder
« Reply #2742 on: May 08, 2012, 08:40:37 PM »
laugh1

Would you call it a knee-slapper or a gut-buster?

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #2743 on: May 08, 2012, 08:53:00 PM »
That is a pretty fascinating juxtaposition on those posters Bruce
Chris

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #2744 on: May 08, 2012, 08:58:57 PM »
And having the face of the Nazi officer done in green was a great call. Perfect artistic choice, IMO.

-Jeff

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #2745 on: May 09, 2012, 12:12:26 AM »
Would you call it a knee-slapper or a gut-buster?

Bless your little heart, Archie.   8)

Posterodyssey

« Reply #2746 on: May 09, 2012, 01:27:09 AM »

Grow up already...

Not trying to take sides here but IMO,he's right,Brude.Generally,the role of the moderator precludes him/her from such behavior.
Otherwise, there's really no point in having moderators.

Anthony

Offline crowzilla

• Hoarder
    • Kaiju Poster Database
« Reply #2747 on: May 09, 2012, 01:32:43 AM »
Keeping my fingers crossed that we will have some titles worthy of post-auction analysis soon.
It has now been a literal year since I've run any auctions, so we are keeping our fingers crossed on this first one.
Hope people find the site...
The Online Reference to Japanese Sci-Fi Posters:
www.Kaijuposters.com

Posterodyssey

« Reply #2748 on: May 09, 2012, 01:42:46 AM »
Hey Sean,took a look at the site last night.Nice job!
Some great  titles,I wouldn't worry bout' it.
I'll be joining shortly.

Anthony

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #2749 on: May 09, 2012, 07:24:08 PM »
This JAWS auction ended on ebay, a short time ago. In the title, the seller described it as measuring 27x41, but in the description and in a question he answered, he says that after removing it from the frame and re-measuring, it is, in fact, 27x40. One person asked the seller if it had been trimmed and that part of the question wasnt answered. He also says it is an original poster.

I also wrote him, to re-verify the measurements. He replied, stating that the poster does measure 27x40. I followed up, saying that if this was a first release OS from 1975, it should measure 27x41 inches. I also asked if it had been trimmed to fit in the frame. The poster was folded, and the NSS info looks to be correct.

The wife of the seller wrote me back, with an hour to go, saying that her husband had worked at Van Nuys Theater in the 1970s and had gotten a bunch of posters. They had the JAWS one sheet framed, indicating it had been trimmed to fit into the frame by the framer.   

Anyhow, someone got it for $268.00

http://www.ebay.com/itm/130690210742?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

-Jeff