Author Topic: Post-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....  (Read 2837059 times)

Offline Ari

• Curator
    • OFFALEATERS HOUSE OF THE DAMNED
Re: Post-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....
« Reply #2650 on: April 27, 2012, 07:37:27 AM »
its  a bloody ripper of a poster.
An Error Has Occurred!
You can't report your own post to the moderator, that doesn't make sense!

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #2651 on: April 27, 2012, 07:59:19 PM »
Not a movie poster but this TWA/New York (David Klein) poster recently sold at Christie's for $10,000, triple the high estimate:

« Last Edit: April 27, 2012, 08:44:48 PM by Dread_Pirate_Mel »

Online 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #2652 on: April 27, 2012, 08:29:22 PM »
Cool! I am surprised it sold this high but not too surprised as it is an awesome poster, if you are into advertising posters. I have some of the TWA's showing Constellation prop aircraft incl this one. You have your eye Mel on TWA's at the moment. Sounds like you are poised to get more into advertising posters  :)

My collecting is like a pendulum, every few months I flip back and forth between movie posters and advertising posters and at the moment its back onto advertising posters... They usually have better color and I collect for the art.

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #2653 on: April 27, 2012, 08:42:08 PM »
Cool! I am surprised it sold this high but not too surprised as it is an awesome poster, if you are into advertising posters. I have some of the TWA's showing Constellation prop aircraft incl this one. You have your eye Mel on TWA's at the moment. Sounds like you are poised to get more into advertising posters  :)

My collecting is like a pendulum, every few months I flip back and forth between movie posters and advertising posters and at the moment its back onto advertising posters... They usually have better color and I collect for the art.

Yo Stevie Wonder, congrats on owning a $10,000 poster (although this auction was exceptionally high compared to past Christies auctions).

No, I don't have any travel posters yet.  Tried to buy one a couple of weeks ago but the Emovie crazy bidders beat me. (They just beat me on this High School Hellcats poster too.)
« Last Edit: April 27, 2012, 08:43:22 PM by Dread_Pirate_Mel »

Online 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #2654 on: April 27, 2012, 08:52:02 PM »
(They just beat me on this High School Hellcats poster too.)

There was a 3 sht of High School HellCats on ebay a few days ago, which missed out on (I have the 1 sht and not too impressed with it but thought Id give a 3 sht a go- maybe better colour)

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #2655 on: April 27, 2012, 08:56:09 PM »
There was a 3 sht of High School HellCats on ebay a few days ago, which missed out on (I have the 1 sht and not too impressed with it but thought Id give a 3 sht a go- maybe better colour)

I don't buy 3 sheets anymore, too hard to display, too many folds.

I saw another 1 sheet of this for sale and the dealer claims that many Hellcats 1 sheets exhibit significant color fading.

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #2656 on: April 27, 2012, 09:26:15 PM »
I had to look it up, now I am enlightened. The things I learn!

Er...I was talkin' drywall repair.
Thanks for the urban update, Steve.
 cheers

;D

I missed you guys.

Bruce

« Reply #2657 on: April 27, 2012, 09:28:30 PM »
Which was the better buy?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HIGH-SCHOOL-HELLCATS-Orig-1958-US-3Sht-BAD-GIRL-SEXY-ART-/350557963137?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item519ee20381

OR

http://www.emovieposter.com/agallery/archiveitem/6722027.html

It shows that it can make a BIG difference WHERE you go to sell your quality posters, because these two auctions were just a few weeks apart.

And Mel, you say "They just beat me on this High School Hellcats poster too:, but the auction has almost 4 days to go:

http://auctions.emovieposter.com/Bidding.taf?_function=detail&Auction_uid1=2551425

This is the "Post-auction analysis" thread, and the auction isn't over until you throw in the towel. Are you running up the red flag?

Bruce

« Last Edit: April 27, 2012, 09:29:23 PM by Bruce »

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #2658 on: April 27, 2012, 09:40:50 PM »
This is the "Post-auction analysis" thread, and the auction isn't over until you throw in the towel. Are you running up the red flag?

Yep, $400 is getting in the retail range for that poster, even in near-mint condition.

I play to win get a reasonable bargain. Let the "anonymice" crazies fight it out over $400 :)

But there are others on the want list....
« Last Edit: April 27, 2012, 09:42:39 PM by Dread_Pirate_Mel »

Offline jayn_j

• Hoarder
« Reply #2659 on: April 29, 2012, 06:34:12 PM »
OK, now that part 1 is history, I will admit that I had 22 items on my watch list.  My intent was to go all in up to $200 on the right item.  Every item on my list went for at least $120, and the ones I felt were worth bidding $200 on all went for over $300.  Every single item went past my point of pain, and I ended up not actually bidding on anything.  In spite of all of Bruce's claims of how he is giving stuff away, I feel prices are up significantly in the last six months.

I guess the rest of you have more disposable income than I can compete with.  All's the pity :(
-Jay-

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #2660 on: April 29, 2012, 06:39:19 PM »
A few from P1 of emovie's auction today:

$5850.00

The same bidder also took home both the blue and green versions of the US one sheet for THE HORROR OF DRACULA (1958) for $555.00 and $460.00 and the rare teaser for ALIEN (1979) for $1005.00

-Jeff

Offline Silhouette

• Hoarder
« Reply #2661 on: April 29, 2012, 07:04:58 PM »
OK, now that part 1 is history, I will admit that I had 22 items on my watch list.  My intent was to go all in up to $200 on the right item.  Every item on my list went for at least $120, and the ones I felt were worth bidding $200 on all went for over $300.  Every single item went past my point of pain, and I ended up not actually bidding on anything.  In spite of all of Bruce's claims of how he is giving stuff away, I feel prices are up significantly in the last six months.

I guess the rest of you have more disposable income than I can compete with.  All's the pity :(

I imagine that's how people feel when you beat them in an auction.  ;)

Someone has to lose in an auction, usually it's more than one person too.

Of the two I was serious about today I lost one and won one; the one I lost I had already researched it and found a back up for sale elsewhere which I have now bought for $30 less than it went for at Bruce's place. So I'm not unhappy at all.
David

Offline jayn_j

• Hoarder
« Reply #2662 on: April 29, 2012, 07:12:38 PM »
No, I can see how it appeared I was whining.  Wasn't trying to.  Just observing that the days of the bargains we have been seeing the last several years appear to be over.  Look at any classic title that has been sold for 20+ years.  You will see that there was a drop in prices around 2000, and then a slow buildup until another drop in the late 2000s.  This might actually be an indicator that the current recession is lightening up.

My personal downside is that I can't seem to compete in Bruce's auctions anymore, especially the majors.
-Jay-

Bruce

« Reply #2663 on: April 29, 2012, 07:46:56 PM »
Jay, maybe your taste is too good! You obviously like interesting items, and don't want the items that sell low (and clearly there is nothing wrong with that, but it makes it harder to get good buys).

There WERE 45 LINENBACKED posters that went for $35 or less, and most or all of those were well under the cost of the linen (see the bottom 80 here: http://www.emovieposter.com/agallery/sort/3/16.html).

Plus, of course linenbacked items tend to go for more, both because of the added cost, and because people obviously mostly back high quality items.

And it IS true that this auction attracted a LOT of excellent consignments (better than usual) and rather than that being a reflection of the economy picking up, it could also be a reflection of the economy hurting those exact consignors to where they need to raise some cash.

Please wait until the other three parts are over before you declare us to be a "no bargain zone"!

Bruce

Offline TheAnswerMVP2001

• Collector
  • Just Mellin'
    • Voluptuous Vinyl
« Reply #2664 on: April 29, 2012, 08:54:37 PM »
There WERE 45 LINENBACKED posters that went for $35 or less, and most or all of those were well under the cost of the linen (see the bottom 80 here: http://www.emovieposter.com/agallery/sort/3/16.html).

What's the saying... you can't polish a turd (well actually you can but that doesn't make it worth anything) just like linen-backing your junk mail wouldn't make the junk mail worth anything.  I'd find it hard to believe people would pay to linen-back some of those posters that sold for cheap so I assume they were probably just a linen-backers test subject.

guest4185

« Reply #2665 on: April 29, 2012, 11:18:39 PM »
Judging today's sales, it seems that linen-baked daybills, with the exception of Earth Vs Flying Saucers, go down in value compared to non-backed.
The postage cost is my main hassle.

Offline jayn_j

• Hoarder
« Reply #2666 on: April 30, 2012, 09:24:13 AM »
Jay, maybe your taste is too good! You obviously like interesting items, and don't want the items that sell low (and clearly there is nothing wrong with that, but it makes it harder to get good buys).

Bruce

But at the same time, let's not forget that an amazing 56 items went for over $500.  An outstanding 91 went for over $400 and an unbelievable 136 went for over $300.  Yes folks, that's more than 25% of the items listed going for over $300!  ;)

Not too tough to find yourself coming up short with numbers like that.  I've been at this long enough that I have no intention on bidding on random crap, just to be bidding.

At any rate, Congratulations Bruce on a great Sunday.  I hope the other days go as well.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2012, 09:25:07 AM by jayn_j »
-Jay-

Bruce

« Reply #2667 on: April 30, 2012, 10:09:03 AM »
Jay

If you ever need a part time job writing promos for my auctions, let me know!

Bruce

Offline TheAnswerMVP2001

• Collector
  • Just Mellin'
    • Voluptuous Vinyl
« Reply #2668 on: April 30, 2012, 01:14:42 PM »
Well Bruce finally had something I wanted (1st poster purchase on emovie this year), ironically I discovered it originally sold at Heritage four years ago unbacked so I ended up paying about the Heritage price plus backing costs, which would have been vendor price for an unbacked one if any vendor actually had one.  So I'm pleased.  Now if Bruce would only get more Italian 2F's maybe I could finally get a certain Marisa Mell poster I've been trying to get for six months, but it looks like I might finally be in the process of getting it from a certain vendor in Italy, it's like pulling teeth to get these Italian vendors to sell you a poster at their ridiculously high prices!
« Last Edit: April 30, 2012, 01:31:31 PM by TheAnswerMVP2001 »

Offline stewart boyle

• Hoarder
« Reply #2669 on: April 30, 2012, 01:23:49 PM »
Dodgy farker V Bruce,your call.

Stew

Charlie

« Reply #2670 on: April 30, 2012, 08:31:51 PM »
Almost bought this but chickened out at the last minute; would have lost anyways.  I wonder what the max bid was; I had $225 typed in the box... 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/120901512824?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #2671 on: April 30, 2012, 08:46:43 PM »
Almost bought this but chickened out at the last minute; would have lost anyways.  I wonder what the max bid was; I had $225 typed in the box... 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/120901512824?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

It's interesting how the seller called this a "vertical half sheet," rather than an insert (per his description, it measures 14 x 35.75 inches). There is another item I found, from a different seller, who also describes his 14"x36" insert with this same terminology.

-Jeff

Charlie

« Reply #2672 on: April 30, 2012, 11:02:43 PM »
I have to stop dreaming I am going to get a deal on premium posters.  To many dealers out there...  Figure $260 might snag it.  Guess I am still good on my promise of one poster (and a stargate) for April...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270958779134

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #2673 on: April 30, 2012, 11:50:21 PM »
I have to stop dreaming I am going to get a deal on premium posters.  To many dealers out there...  Figure $260 might snag it.  Guess I am still good on my promise of one poster (and a stargate) for April...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270958779134

You gotta get serious with your bids man ;)
Chris