Author Topic: Post-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....  (Read 2837046 times)

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
Re: Post-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....
« Reply #275 on: March 31, 2010, 01:25:09 AM »
or like you would avoid a dog turd on the sidewalk

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

• Post-aholic
« Reply #276 on: March 31, 2010, 01:25:30 AM »
or a cowpie in a pasture

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder

-------

wonka

« Reply #277 on: March 31, 2010, 10:37:27 AM »
See Joan Rivers as an example.
Absolutely hilarious.

You make good points, Carson, and generally I am in the same camp as you in being anti-paint and pro-old poster look.
I am just not sure if the few bits of paper loss, especially the one in McQueen's face will distract me or not...I will check it out and make a more educated decision when I get it.

Rich, any reason to avoid PosterFix?  He has some pretty fun videos on you tube...anyone see them?

Offline marklawd

• Hoarder
« Reply #278 on: March 31, 2010, 01:15:19 PM »
That is a great poster Wonka and I was going to bid until I noticed it was the larger Italian 4-foglio size. Given Bruce's warnings about its fragility and my personal experience of this size of poster I am certain you would add tears to it everytime you unfolded it. It seems you have little choice but to back it unless you plan on never viewing it - and that won't be cheap, particularly if it is to be framed also. No, Dario doesn't do this size - I checked just before the auction. I have four Italian 2-foglio posters on the walls of my sitting room and they dominate it.

Mark

wonka

« Reply #279 on: March 31, 2010, 01:38:50 PM »
Thanks, Mark.
I actually went after it because it was the 4-foglio size...the wall it will be hung on is quite big and quite bare, so this will go perfectly.  In most cases, I prefer a larger size if it is available.  (ex: my Raiders of the Lost Ark 40x60 that is framed over the one sheet).  I just might take Carson's advice and put it on linen without restoring to help with framing costs.

It will be opened once very carefully before being sent to who does the linenbacking.  Thanks for the advice.

Any chance we can see pics of your four Italian 2-foglios you have in the sitting room?  Pretty please?

• Post-aholic
« Reply #280 on: March 31, 2010, 02:09:56 PM »
Absolutely hilarious.

You make good points, Carson, and generally I am in the same camp as you in being anti-paint and pro-old poster look.
I am just not sure if the few bits of paper loss, especially the one in McQueen's face will distract me or not...I will check it out and make a more educated decision when I get it.

Rich, any reason to avoid PosterFix?  He has some pretty fun videos on you tube...anyone see them?

their restoration sucks. their customer service sucks. and Chris has been a total asshole on MoPo.
what else do you need to know to stay away from them??

the one poster I got from them in an auction looked lik ethey used crayola crayons, was packaged poorly and.. etc etc etc.

-------

wonka

« Reply #281 on: March 31, 2010, 02:11:43 PM »
Gotcha, thanks Rich. 
Sounds too risky for sure...I will look elsewhere.

• Post-aholic
« Reply #282 on: March 31, 2010, 04:02:27 PM »
oh Wonka.. one more thing

-------

Dr Hackenbush

« Reply #283 on: March 31, 2010, 05:56:07 PM »
I've heard Poster Mountain does good work

• Post-aholic
« Reply #284 on: March 31, 2010, 06:35:48 PM »
I've heard Poster Mountain does good work

in so far as restoration.. absolutely
authentication... not so much

-------

Dr Hackenbush

« Reply #285 on: March 31, 2010, 08:25:35 PM »
Agreed

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #286 on: March 31, 2010, 09:10:39 PM »
in so far as restoration.. absolutely
authentication... not so much

Well that all depends if you want your fake poster declared genuine or not ;)
Chris

Carson

« Reply #287 on: March 31, 2010, 10:28:43 PM »
What's that saying re you can do a life time of good deeds but people will only remember you for that one wrong one?

Poor, John. The guy is arguably the best restorer on earth, has restored the most epic pieces the hobby has ever known, is commissioned by the Academy of Motion Pictures and the guy is going to have to take it on the nose the rest of his life for his Dracula involvement. And rightly so, unless, in fact, it was an honest oversight. Was it an oversight or nefarious in nature?

• Post-aholic
« Reply #288 on: March 31, 2010, 10:30:22 PM »
Well that all depends if you want your fake poster declared genuine or not ;)
the reverse was also true in at least 1 instance that I have been told of

-------

• Post-aholic
« Reply #289 on: March 31, 2010, 10:33:09 PM »
What's that saying re you can do a life time of good deeds but people will only remember you for that one wrong one?

Poor, John. The guy is arguably the best restorer on earth, has restored the most epic pieces the hobby has ever known, is commissioned by the Academy of Motion Pictures, and the guy is going to have to take it on the nose the rest of his life for his Dracula involvment. And rightly so, unless, in fact, it was an honest oversight. Was it an oversight or nefarious by nature? I have no idea.

it was neither.. It was the result of a lack of information due to a lack of due dilligence
He had an opportunity to go to Ron Borst's house & compare but he did not, in part because he thought that the fact the piece was done by a lithographic process and his lack of knowledge of the S2Art reproductions. Which of course means he did not have the available information to  make the correct judgements because he was just woefully unqualified to do the work he was doing. it doesn't really get any simpler

-------

• Post-aholic
« Reply #290 on: March 31, 2010, 10:37:20 PM »
and by the way Carson.. honest oversight or not, we aren't talking about some inconsequential situation, which is easily white-washed.. We're talking about a serious lapse of judgement, followed by a serious lack of hubris, in turn followed by a lack of any sense of responsibilty for long enough that other people were damaged by his actions..

if he had done his work properly, it all could have been avoided..
whether he was Moe, Curly or Larry.. does not matter.

-------

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #291 on: March 31, 2010, 10:39:23 PM »
the reverse was also true in at least 1 instance that I have been told of

Now there's a money making scheme - declare the genuine poster a fake, take it off the client's hands in their dejected state and then sell it/flip it/trade it as an original

(I am NOT saying this has actually occurred and I am NOT making any accusations - just some food for thought)
Chris

Carson

« Reply #292 on: March 31, 2010, 10:45:47 PM »
Thanks, Rich. That one has actually been bugging me for a while as I think that much of John's work. He's the best in my opinion right up there with Dario. So I wanted to know "what the deal was" once and for all.

So you're saying, ultimately, it was a missed assumption (he wrongly assumed "it was done using lithography, therefore it most certainly has to be original") on John's part resulting from his lack of knowledge of the S2 group litho recreations, and perhaps, moreover, his generally being under qualified to determine the validity of such a poster to begin with. Thanks.

• Post-aholic
« Reply #293 on: March 31, 2010, 11:38:05 PM »
Thanks, Rich. That one has actually been bugging me for a while as I think that much of John's work. He's the best in my opinion right up there with Dario. So I wanted to know "what the deal was" once and for all.

So you're saying, ultimately, it was a missed assumption (he wrongly assumed "it was done using lithography, therefore it most certainly has to be original") on John's part resulting from his lack of knowledge of the S2 group litho recreations, and perhaps, moreover, his generally being under qualified to determine the validity of such a poster to begin with. Thanks.

that is essentially correct.. But when it comes to linenbacking & restoration, there is no question he is among an elite group of extremely talented people

-------

velvet11

« Reply #294 on: April 01, 2010, 04:15:31 PM »
Killer poster, Wonka. I really love those Italian pieces.

A good restorer of larger material is J. Fields Studio in Philadelphia (google 'em). I've been happy with the stuff he's done for me.

I have quite a few Italian 4-foglios. Love the impact of them, but backing and displaying them is a problem. And as someone else mentioned, you pretty much need to back them, because the paper typically gets very brittle over time.

ron

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #295 on: April 06, 2010, 11:47:07 PM »
Loved that Voodoo Woman poster - sold for $265 tonight on Emovie:

Wikipedia says: "The film is widely regarded as one of the worst films in cinema, yet in 1966, just nine years later, it was remade by Larry Buchanan into a TV film that is considered even worse, Curse of the Swamp Creature."

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #296 on: April 07, 2010, 01:55:00 AM »
Yeah, baby....some of the worst films have the greatest posters..

wonka

« Reply #297 on: April 07, 2010, 10:11:38 AM »
Here we go with the 'worst' movie stuff again...

Other than what Ari has said before, I would take Voodoo Woman and Troll 2 over stuff like Gone in 60 Seconds and Armageddon any day.

wonka

« Reply #298 on: April 07, 2010, 11:22:50 AM »
Killer poster, Wonka. I really love those Italian pieces.

A good restorer of larger material is J. Fields Studio in Philadelphia (google 'em). I've been happy with the stuff he's done for me.

I have quite a few Italian 4-foglios. Love the impact of them, but backing and displaying them is a problem. And as someone else mentioned, you pretty much need to back them, because the paper typically gets very brittle over time.

ron
Thanks, Ron...I will definitely look up J. Fields.  At this point I am just looking for the best deal, but do not want to sacrifice quality at the same time.  Still, I would be more picky if I was restoring, but at this point I am taking Carson's advice and just putting it on linen, cracks and holes and all, so it will keep from deteriorating any more.  I like the old poster look, I don't want this one looking too clean at this point.

Offline ddilts399

• Hoarder
    • .5% of my collection online
« Reply #299 on: April 07, 2010, 03:19:01 PM »
I cannot believe you infer Armageddon is a bad movie!