Author Topic: Post-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....  (Read 2838038 times)

Dr Hackenbush

Re: Post-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....
« Reply #250 on: March 29, 2010, 04:50:00 PM »
Got any pics of those Gogos covers, Rich?  Love his work.  The man is an amazing artist

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #251 on: March 29, 2010, 04:52:21 PM »
not easily for posting.. I have to scan trans.. too much other work

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #252 on: March 29, 2010, 09:32:55 PM »
Well, if you wanted a Lucky Strike Pulp Fiction cheap, you missed your chance. The seller kept relisting and it finally sold for $700.   As far as I call tell, it's the real deal:

• Post-aholic
« Reply #253 on: March 29, 2010, 10:11:07 PM »
I almost pulled the trigger at 750
but I have a couple so I was just watching

it helps when they use a good hi quality image. he would have sold it sooner if he had

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder

-------

Offline brude

• Post-aholic

Offline kovacs01

• Global Moderator
  • Hoarder
    • My Poster Gallery
« Reply #255 on: March 30, 2010, 01:42:12 AM »
So what does everyone think of this Cannes poster for Conan?  I had an interest at $400 and thought I had a reasonable shot at winning for $775.  I was sorely mistaken as it went north of $2000, or WTF more than I was willing to pay.  I wonder if it was a Frazetta collector that snagged it.
Schan
Thanks.  You know what you did.
My Poster Gallery

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #256 on: March 30, 2010, 02:55:42 AM »
Frazetta's most iconic image (IMO).
I've never seen that version, Schan.  What were the dimensions?
I am assuming this is the second version of the original advance.
The first advance does not have John Milius' name attached.

Offline kovacs01

• Global Moderator
  • Hoarder
    • My Poster Gallery
« Reply #257 on: March 30, 2010, 03:08:24 AM »
its 30x40 and it was the poster used to advertise the movie during its debut at the Cannes Film Festival.  So, its not a second version, but another version.  I dont know how the theatrical debut lined up with the Cannes debut, but I would be willing to guess this one was first.
Schan
Thanks.  You know what you did.
My Poster Gallery

Offline ddilts399

• Hoarder
    • .5% of my collection online
« Reply #258 on: March 30, 2010, 08:01:10 AM »
Same art is on the French posters and a hellova lot cheaper route to go.

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #259 on: March 30, 2010, 09:52:51 AM »
its 30x40 and it was the poster used to advertise the movie during its debut at the Cannes Film Festival.  So, its not a second version, but another version.  I dont know how the theatrical debut lined up with the Cannes debut, but I would be willing to guess this one was first.

Well, the original advance was produced in 1980, before the movie started filming, long before it's Cannes premiere. This is not a pic of my actual poster (I have yet to photograph it) and it is undersized (24x36) like DeLaurentis' "Flash Gordon" foil teasers.  As you can see, it was basically an announcement that the film was in production, coming soon. (And, I stand corrected -- Milius was attached to the project at the time of printing).
The art was picked up from the paperback book -- Lancer, I believe.  Also attached is a pic of the Belgian 15x20, which I bought from Kymar (you'll see their watermark).  The Conan logo on the Cannes poster is from the comic book, while the logo from the Belgian (and the French I have seen) is from the re-vamped comic book.  Any way you look at it -- and I'm sure most will agree -- it is one of Frazetta's greatest and most powerful paintings -- painted with FIRE!!!  Anyone who wants to know more about this titan of art will enjoy the DVD, Painting with Fire.

There is one of these rolled advances on Ebay now ($1450.00) which differs from the attached cropped pic (note color diff on sides as opposed to bottom border).

wonka

« Reply #260 on: March 30, 2010, 08:59:11 PM »
Wonka: 1
nicklyk: 0

My wife saw it on the screen, and declared she loved it, so I went after it with a really high bid that fortunately was not even closely reached.
Will be restored and hung in the bedroom.  :)

(It's a 4 Fogli, so at 55"x78" will look pretty damn cool up on the wall I think.)

Dr Hackenbush

« Reply #261 on: March 30, 2010, 09:26:55 PM »
That's gorgeous!  Congrats!

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #262 on: March 30, 2010, 09:35:53 PM »
It does have a certain flair Wonka but it kinda looks like fingerpainting...

BUT if the wife likes it and she will be happy - that's the most important thing!
Chris

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #263 on: March 30, 2010, 09:46:16 PM »
Sweet Wonka. You got the one you wanted. Poor nicklyk never knew what hit him   :P..I do think it looks cool and those are two of my all time favorite actors.

I picked up three I like but once again I let the two I really wanted get away. Im such a cheap / dumb bastard.

I am learning though. If you want it and can afford it. Get it.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2010, 10:07:58 PM by Zorba »

Bruce

« Reply #264 on: March 30, 2010, 09:49:01 PM »
Wonka

That is a wonderful movie (but its female fans outnumber male fans around 100 to one, even with Steve McQueen, due to the subject matter).

And personally I love the art.

But I am confused. If you put in a sky high bid, how is it you didn't get "mysteriously maxed" on it? laugh

Bruce

Dr Hackenbush

« Reply #265 on: March 30, 2010, 09:53:01 PM »
I decided to let a poster go without bidding, even though I really wanted it.  I figured it would go for decent money when I saw it in Bruce's auction.  Just couldn't justify dropping 200+ right now *sigh*

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #266 on: March 30, 2010, 10:01:55 PM »
I decided to let a poster go without bidding, even though I really wanted it.  I figured it would go for decent money when I saw it in Bruce's auction.  Just couldn't justify dropping 200+ right now *sigh*

A dilemma we all face at some time Angelo...

and I guarantee it will not be the last time you have to let something you really want go.

But just remember - most posters will turn up again at some point - you just have to be ready if you can pay the $ at that time
Chris

wonka

« Reply #267 on: March 30, 2010, 11:08:30 PM »
Thanks, Angelo!

Chris, those must be some crazy fingers...ha.  But I like the brush stroke effect...anything that resembles hand-made art is always a plus for me and my poster tastes.  We like this vivid yet abstract 60s design, so this will fit right in with some other stuff we have in the house.

Bruce, good stuff.  
I was scared for a minute that Phil would log in and bump me up into the stratosphere.  ;)

Zorba, which ones did you get?
Remember, patience is the key, and the ones you did not bid more aggressively will be back again and yours to purchase...maybe sooner than you think.

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #268 on: March 30, 2010, 11:17:06 PM »
Lots of good stuff sold tonight.  I got a couple but didn't land what I really wanted.   Surprised the Ferris didn't go higher:

wonka

« Reply #269 on: March 30, 2010, 11:22:08 PM »
Ferris didn't go higher because its a classic American movie, so the international version with the same art is more desirable on the market because it has the text in English.

Carson

« Reply #270 on: March 30, 2010, 11:51:25 PM »
Aweosme poster, Wonkabud  qip

One of my favorite from the auction. I've never seen the movie but those two actors, that era, Italian design.. cannot beat it! Keep in mind it 'tis a MONSTER size and backing will run you an easy $500+ on that beauty so you may want to save cash slowly over time then send her to Dario when the piggy bank fills.

Carson

« Reply #271 on: March 31, 2010, 12:05:41 AM »
I am learning though. If you want it and can afford it. Get it.

It's true, Zorba, patience pays, so long as you're not talking about the numerous rarities that in fact don't resurface and those that never make it to a public market at all.
In other words, patience pays so long as you're learned on what you're looking for. I cannot count the posters I've seen just one example of in 10 years.

wonka

« Reply #272 on: March 31, 2010, 12:09:53 AM »
Thanks Carson, I am pumped to get it.  I get excited when my wife likes this stuff, although her tastes are even more expensive than mine.
But you are right, the actors, the 60s design, its all there...
Thankfully, this one didn't break the bank, but as you allude to, the restoration (and subsequent framing job) will be a small fortune.

Does Dario work with pieces this big?  Will have to check, but seem to remember him saying he did not do anything bigger than a large French piece.

If not, can you, or anyone for that matter recommend a restorer who does great but cost efficient work with larger pieces?
Poster Fix?
Studio C?

Carson

« Reply #273 on: March 31, 2010, 12:25:17 AM »
I'd say it certainly needs backing. It's fragile and can be difficult to handle unless you take 'er easy move slow to avoid more tearing.
I'm a anti-paint advocate; in my little view painting on a poster conceals the age, character and flaws that make an old movie poster an old movie poster and unique. It's an effort to make something old look like something it's not. See Joan Rivers as an example. So personally, I just clean and back. And no painting/airbrushing/watercoloring saves a lot of bread to be put toward the cleaning and backing. I like postermountain but email around for quotes.

• Post-aholic
« Reply #274 on: March 31, 2010, 01:24:27 AM »
Poster Fix?

avoid them like you would the plague

-------