Author Topic: Post-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....  (Read 2837127 times)

Offline enki

• Collector
Re: Post-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....
« Reply #2375 on: April 02, 2012, 02:56:06 PM »
So what they say about the French is true....

laugh1

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #2376 on: April 02, 2012, 11:38:53 PM »

;D ;D
Chris

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #2377 on: April 02, 2012, 11:52:52 PM »

Great one, Ben!
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline holiday

• Thierry's Nightmare a/k/a King Slut
  • Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
« Reply #2378 on: April 03, 2012, 10:36:20 AM »

Wow.  That was awesome.
Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery

"What happened to all the people?" Mystified MPF Member, February 20, 2010

"I actually quite like the name Peanut."  Andy Neal on MOPO, April 22, 2010

Thierry:  Type the word APF on MPF and it spells: "Banned due to malicious unsolicited private message ".

Charlie to the guy who lost to EatBrie:  You just got "T-boned"!  Happens to the best of us...  Wait until you get "Holidazed"!

Thierry to Silhouette:  Please tell her it's a tiny part of my collection so she doesn't think I'm a total creep.  Oh wait, no, I am a total creep.

agentprovocateur

« Reply #2379 on: April 04, 2012, 03:00:52 AM »
Woohoo!!!!!!

woohoo

8)

Well done enki, great poster and in nice condition.

I managed to bag my little beauty as well ;D... there's a series on UK tv atm all about Art Nouveau and the Mrs and me have loved it. When they covered Alphonse Mucha the Czech artist we said we'd have to get one, unfortunately when we looked at prices they were well out of our league, the Mrs wanted to get a cheap reproduction on the bay but I said hold on and see if we can sleuth a cheap original.

And lo and behold this appeared on emovieposter this week, couldn't believe it, not an original of course but a Czech (where Mucha's from) exhibition poster from 1971 that had one of his seminal illustrations as the artwork. Really happy I got it and for less that I thought, even woke the Mrs at 1.30 in the morning to let her know we'd won!

Apologies for it not being a film poster... to get things back on track here's three cracking posters I'd have to loved bid on but unfortunately they were out of my league.

This one was absolutely stunning!

Loved this one, so simple.

And a great iconic image.

Offline Mondo Hazardo

• Collector
    • MOVIE★INK. AMSTERDAM
« Reply #2380 on: April 04, 2012, 03:47:41 AM »
I was in Prague a few years ago and found this antiques dealer with rolls of Czech posters from the thirties up and too expensive for me (although in hindsight I could at least write his name and address). He said it was all rubbish and would gladly trade them all for one original Mucha. Told me there was a ring of Mucha fakers as they fetched regularly 10,000 euros (this was still pre-euro time in Czech republic)as "The so-called experts in the west could not distinguish a real from a fake one if their lives depended on it" - his words not mine

agentprovocateur

« Reply #2381 on: April 04, 2012, 07:14:23 AM »
Interesting Mondo, as I said the originals are well out of my league, but always good to know about fakes!

Interestingly the Umeleckoprumyslove museum's website (http://www.upm.cz/index.php?language=en&page=109) states:

1970—1985
Museum is closed to the public and undergoes a major rebuilding programme

The dates for the show were 'December 1971 to February 1972' which coincides with the closure and rebuilding. I emailed them before the auction closed asking if they had a catalogue or poster in their archives from this exhibition, to clarify it actually took place, they replied saying they had a catalogue in their library. This alleviated my slight worry.

I have now emailed them and asked if they have one of these posters in their archives as well, mentioning the historical 'closure' around the same time, so I'll be interested to see their reply.

agentprovocateur

« Reply #2382 on: April 04, 2012, 07:23:40 AM »
And here's the reply which solves my little mystery...

'Dear Jan

itīs wrong, I remember this exhibition being not in dept. of Graphics /t.i. posters, etc./, but in a museum partt of library, hard to gtranslate the right term of this dept., something like Documentation
But the right is that after that exhibition museum was closed for almost 15 years when we did new permantn collection, completely without posters; only new permanent collection from 2000 is with 40 big posters on the "wall" and 40 or so small chromolithos for different advertising

I think the poster you woul like to buy is OK, I think we have it somewhere in archives of museum  - I donīt know what money is for it now, as for me 10 EU will be enough.
'

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #2383 on: April 04, 2012, 11:08:52 AM »

Absolutely beautiful.
Congratulations, AP!
 clap clap clap clap

agentprovocateur

« Reply #2384 on: April 04, 2012, 01:10:33 PM »
Cheers brude, although she knows about it, it's Mrs AP's birthday present from Mr Cheapskate here ;D

Having looked at the high resolution photo I can't work out how it's printed, offset or screen printed!?

Anyways, back to film posters, sorry for the digression!

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #2385 on: April 04, 2012, 01:14:11 PM »
It is VERY cool AP.

Bruce

« Reply #2386 on: April 05, 2012, 10:17:55 PM »
Did you guys see what this 2001 re-release sold for?

Bruce

« Reply #2387 on: April 05, 2012, 10:18:38 PM »
Or who bought it?

Offline enki

• Collector
« Reply #2388 on: April 05, 2012, 10:29:25 PM »
ddilts399    $ 505.00

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #2389 on: April 05, 2012, 10:46:19 PM »
That's pretty cool - can't be many of these floating around since the re-release was very limited.  Apparently it was shown in just a few cities in 2001 - San Antonio, Detroit, LA & NY.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2012, 10:47:53 PM by Dread_Pirate_Mel »

Offline Silhouette

• Hoarder
« Reply #2390 on: April 05, 2012, 10:48:40 PM »
ddilts399    $ 505.00

So we know who is happy with that win...wonder who is grumpy?
David

Offline enki

• Collector
« Reply #2391 on: April 05, 2012, 10:53:09 PM »
So we know who is happy with that win...wonder who is grumpy?

Who is ddilts399?

More importantly, who is 70mmWIDESCREEN? They kept bidding on everything I wanted :(.

Offline ddilts399

• Hoarder
    • .5% of my collection online
« Reply #2392 on: April 05, 2012, 10:54:28 PM »
I feel I over paid, but I missed it once, I was not going to miss another one.

Now I need it's partner, the 1998 Superman Lives black and silver poster.

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #2393 on: April 05, 2012, 11:05:06 PM »
I feel I over paid, but I missed it once, I was not going to miss another one.

Now I need it's partner, the 1998 Superman Lives black and silver poster.

Supposedly 10 were printed, one survives....

Offline enki

• Collector
« Reply #2394 on: April 05, 2012, 11:07:44 PM »
I got a few nice posters. I was tempted to pull the trigger on some more expensive ones, but they got a little higher then what I wanted to pay so I held off. Hoping there will be some nice ones (for me) later in the month...

Actually, I just noticed I wound up buying 11 today (plus my Polish SW from earlier in the week). So that means I qualify for the "three free books" promotion again.

Bruce - since I've already gotten the "60 Great Cowboy Movie Posters, 60 Great Horror Movie Posters, 60 Great Sci-Fi Movie Posters" books from a prior auction buying spree, what happens now? Would I get the same three again, or can I get a different set?

Bruce

« Reply #2395 on: April 05, 2012, 11:14:04 PM »
Nope, same set. I used to give sets of 31 books, then had to keep reducing as more and more sold out.

I have some others in limited supplies that I will give away in the mini/major, so wait for that!

Bruce

Offline enki

• Collector
« Reply #2396 on: April 05, 2012, 11:16:17 PM »
Oh well, in that case don't worry about sending me the same books. I already have that set and would rather them go to someone else who doesn't have them.

Offline holiday

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
« Reply #2397 on: April 06, 2012, 12:48:12 AM »
Please, no more books for me!  As much as I like them, I've been buried in them!  Save mine, if any, for someone else who needs them.

Nope, same set. I used to give sets of 31 books, then had to keep reducing as more and more sold out.

I have some others in limited supplies that I will give away in the mini/major, so wait for that!

Bruce
Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery

Thierry:  Type the word APF on MPF and it spells: "Banned due to malicious unsolicited private message ".

Charlie to the guy who lost to EatBrie:  You just got "T-boned"!  Happens to the best of us...  Wait until you get "Holidazed"!

Thierry to Silhouette:  Please tell her it's a tiny part of my collection so she doesn't think I'm a total creep.  Oh wait, no, I am a total creep.

Offline holiday

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
« Reply #2398 on: April 06, 2012, 12:49:03 AM »
You really have come a long way, Mel.  Those are two fine posters, and your collection just gets better and better.

Supposedly 10 were printed, one survives....

Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery

Offline skyjackers

• Hoarder
« Reply #2399 on: April 06, 2012, 02:34:41 AM »
That Superman Lives poster is one that I'd love to have but am sure I never will. I think it was made for a toy licensing show.