Author Topic: Post-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....  (Read 2837765 times)

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
Re: Post-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....
« Reply #2300 on: March 24, 2012, 05:37:49 PM »
What it makes you realize is how pathetic some of our collections are

so totally wrong unless all you mean is if you have the super-classic and/or super-valuable items that make other people drool over what you have, that you have a great collection.

every collection a person has is great to them and that is as it should be.
I do not pine for what others have and because I am pragmatic, I am not sad that I don't have the other items I want yet, nor will I be sad if I don't ever get them. You're supposed to enjoy what you have, not some dream. That doesn't mean you shouldn't have dreams. Your dream is your guide to what you want, but not having what you want doesn't make it a nightmare

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #2301 on: March 24, 2012, 05:42:00 PM »
I don't think their business model reflects on us.  A lot of businesses operate like Heritage.  My sister used to be a regional manager for Crabtree & Evelyn, which sells fancy fragrances and gourmet foods.  They lost money the entire year except for Christmas, which made up for the rest of the year.  Heritage probably makes a modest profit on their weekly and eBay sales.  They'd probably prefer just to run the sig auctions but they have to stay in business year round to attract consignors and buyers for the sig auctions.  Just amateur speculation, of course....  
« Last Edit: March 24, 2012, 05:44:33 PM by Dread_Pirate_Mel »

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #2302 on: March 24, 2012, 05:55:39 PM »
Those who collect to achieve some sort of "status" are collecting for entirely the wrong reason. 

Those who are acquiring based on perceived monetary value are not collectors at all but some form of misguided investor.

And really how pathetic is it in the end to base the virtue or desirability of ones collection on the relative accolades it garners from other virtual individuals?! (I mean virtual in the sense that most people on the internet, this forum included, have never met personally and there is no bond or connection beyond faceless and decontextualized words).
Chris

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #2303 on: March 24, 2012, 05:57:41 PM »
Those who collect to achieve some sort of "status" are collecting for entirely the wrong reason. 

Those who are acquiring based on perceived monetary value are not collectors at all but some form of misguided investor.

And really how pathetic is it in the end to base the virtue or desirability of ones collection on the relative accolades it garners from other virtual individuals?! (I mean virtual in the sense that most people on the internet, this forum included, have never met personally and there is no bond or connection beyond faceless and decontextualized words).

clap clap

-Jeff

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #2304 on: March 24, 2012, 06:05:25 PM »

I was starting to feel better....now, I am all cold and hollow.

Online Tob

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
« Reply #2305 on: March 24, 2012, 06:06:53 PM »
I do not pine for what others have and because I am pragmatic, I am not sad that I don't have the other items I want yet, nor will I be sad if I don't ever get them. You're supposed to enjoy what you have, not some dream. That doesn't mean you shouldn't have dreams. Your dream is your guide to what you want, but not having what you want doesn't make it a nightmare

A fine post, Rich.

Objectively, my collection is very junk-ridden, but to me, it's a very precious thing.

• Post-aholic
« Reply #2306 on: March 24, 2012, 06:10:26 PM »
Objectively, my collection is very junk-ridden, but to me, it's a very precious thing.

do you think I don't have plenty of what many would call junk?
Believe me I do. I would bet that my collection of gambling images would not be sought after by very many people and I have lots of other low-value material in amongst my Blue Dahlia and Murder My Sweet posters

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder

-------

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #2307 on: March 24, 2012, 06:14:54 PM »

Ted,

This might help you feel better:

-Jeff

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #2308 on: March 24, 2012, 06:23:18 PM »
Thanks, Jeff...I feel better again.

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #2309 on: March 24, 2012, 06:27:24 PM »
The ginormous 161"x40" Tarzan "lobby streamer" went WAY beyond estimate:

Compared to one sheet (exact proportions):

« Last Edit: March 24, 2012, 06:51:49 PM by Dread_Pirate_Mel »

Offline Mondo Hazardo

• Collector
    • MOVIE★INK. AMSTERDAM
« Reply #2310 on: March 24, 2012, 06:32:41 PM »
that's a fantastic thing isn't it

• Post-aholic
« Reply #2311 on: March 24, 2012, 06:39:35 PM »
sure is Wim.. 15 foot wide.. Majestic item

-------

Offline Mondo Hazardo

• Collector
    • MOVIE★INK. AMSTERDAM
« Reply #2312 on: March 24, 2012, 06:50:06 PM »
no worries though, I've won the best lot of them all!

it does not matter if you've company or not, you always wear your hat slightly askew

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #2313 on: March 24, 2012, 07:05:08 PM »
A fine post, Rich.

Well then, let me rephrase this and apologize to those I offended: "It makes me realize how pathetic MY collection is to ME."  It is true that it is all in the eye of the beholder, and I shouldn't judge others.  But I can judge my gear.  And since I would love to one day own some of the pieces that sold yesterday, it makes me feel like I haven't even started collecting and I have still such a long way to go.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #2314 on: March 24, 2012, 07:38:19 PM »
Rich, well said and as it should be. clap

T, you have a fantastic collection, and should be proud of what you've done, "so far"... We all have a long way to go with our collections, if I was satisfied with with mine, I would stop.  I'm very happy with what I've got, but need more. Not for you guy's, but for myself. If money was no object, we'd all have top end titles, but I've some £10 posters, I wouldn't swap for £1000 posters. Society dictates prices, and we have to work within our "class", but when we pick up something well out of our league,   life is so great.... ;D  Hence people like Harry get annoyed with Mel, when he blabs to the world about things that should be left quite for a while. As it takes away the chance we can buy from another league, usually out of our reach. Which would help to push our collections into our dreams....  and not our money into dealers pockets.

The hobby should always be about the true collector, and not the dealer pushing up prices, out of 99% of poster collectors pockets.   Putting together a collection of Oscar winners, or a Spielberg collection is the sign of a true collector, and it's great to have so many individual collectors on this board...   

Oh, and That Tarzan Banner is amazing.... :D me wants it...
It's more than a Hobby...

Offline archie leach

• Hoarder
« Reply #2315 on: March 24, 2012, 07:49:45 PM »
Same here, Rich.
It was my second date with my ex.  First time out, lines discouraged us so we caught ANNIE HALL instead.
A few nights later, we arrived earlier to wait on the STAR WARS line. They had a framed A sheet on the outside wall as well as another in the lobby.
No B teaser in sight.
I examined that A sheet at the theater and bought one the very next day.
It was not July.

Yes, and had either of you snapped a pic on one of those nights, then he would have wanted to hear from you.  He just couldn't find any visual evidence to support the use of the style A.  His theory, not mine.

I was too young to remember at what point in the summer/fall that I saw it, but, when I did, I know that I saw the style A standee on my way in...

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #2316 on: March 24, 2012, 07:57:21 PM »
Oh, and That Tarzan Banner is amazing.... :D me wants it...

Sure is.
And for those who might have forgotten about Jane's nekkid river swim, here's Maureen O'Sullivan skinny dipping...

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #2317 on: March 24, 2012, 08:01:37 PM »
Who could forget it, but thanks for the reminder Ted.... :D
It's more than a Hobby...

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #2318 on: March 24, 2012, 08:02:43 PM »
Sure is.
And for those who might have forgotten about Jane's nekkid river swim, here's Maureen O'Sullivan skinny dipping...

Best comment on YouTube:

"After a few takes Johnny was probably swimming with a rudder...."

Offline stewart boyle

• Hoarder
« Reply #2319 on: March 24, 2012, 08:17:48 PM »
I agree,
however,everything Mel posts in his humble opinion,is " the most amazing " or "truly spectacular"  or " most desirable "...Mel never seems to be able to post...hey guys picked this up,"quite shit but I love it.."

Stew

Offline Silhouette

• Hoarder
« Reply #2320 on: March 24, 2012, 08:18:03 PM »

Awww you got your hair done for the pic Ted, very nice...
« Last Edit: March 24, 2012, 08:22:29 PM by Silhouette »
David

Offline holiday

• Thierry's Nightmare a/k/a King Slut
  • Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
« Reply #2321 on: March 24, 2012, 08:24:29 PM »
Agreed 110%. Other people's money and collections do not make me crave, unless its something that I can manage to purchase.  I sure don't lose sleep over the Metropolis poster I don't have, or the onesheet for Thief of Baghdad that I don't have, though I love both.

so totally wrong unless all you mean is if you have the super-classic and/or super-valuable items that make other people drool over what you have, that you have a great collection.

Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery

"What happened to all the people?" Mystified MPF Member, February 20, 2010

"I actually quite like the name Peanut."  Andy Neal on MOPO, April 22, 2010

Thierry:  Type the word APF on MPF and it spells: "Banned due to malicious unsolicited private message ".

Charlie to the guy who lost to EatBrie:  You just got "T-boned"!  Happens to the best of us...  Wait until you get "Holidazed"!

Thierry to Silhouette:  Please tell her it's a tiny part of my collection so she doesn't think I'm a total creep.  Oh wait, no, I am a total creep.

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #2322 on: March 24, 2012, 08:27:24 PM »
I agree,
however,everything Mel posts in his humble opinion,is " the most amazing " or "truly spectacular"  or " most desirable "...Mel never seems to be able to post...hey guys picked this up,"quite shit but I love it.."

Stew

Stew, don't have a clue what you're saying but cheers dude :)

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #2323 on: March 24, 2012, 08:28:14 PM »
Buncha tough lugs youse guys are.
Me, I cry myself to sleep every night over not having this yet...  wynk

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #2324 on: March 24, 2012, 08:29:56 PM »
I agree,

Stew

On the other hand, that's also why I don't post anything, or very rarely.  Nothing to me is worthy enough.  But if I had bought The Day the Earth Stood Still, I would have posted it.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)