Author Topic: Post-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....  (Read 2837922 times)

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
Re: Post-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....
« Reply #2275 on: March 23, 2012, 01:34:17 PM »
I had Star Wars posters before the film opened.
I sold them all, but I had one copy as recenty as 10 years ago that I sold to a very good friend.
I emailed him as I know he still has it & it is -0

that tells me the -0 was the first printing

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Offline enki

• Collector
« Reply #2276 on: March 23, 2012, 01:57:03 PM »
Is it possible that both prints were run at the same time, possibly from two different printers?

Do any other NSS posters exhibit the same "-X" traits, or is this the only one that has a number after the XX/XXX? If there are others, what has the consensus (or proof) been regarding those posters?

Are there any statistics to determine which poster is actually more rare/common? Maybe they started printing one, something happened, and they were forced to change the NSS information?

While I've seen a lot of conjecture about the order/history/etc. of the four different ANH poster versions, the vast majority of people seem to think that the 77/21-0 is the first. While my background in posters is limited, just thinking about it (the numbering in and of itself) logically makes me initially disagree with this being done on purpose.

From what I understand, the vast majority (if not all) of posters have the format of year/film syntax. Why would they have changed this, to add a "-0" to the first run of just this movie? And why would they have started with "0" as opposed to "1", which would have made more sense - if this was an official run. I could see the rationale if this was some type of printers proof or concept poster, but based on the volume in existence, and the fact that it was released to theaters, it doesn't seem to support that idea. If the 0 was meant to indicate a run, why didn't they increment it for future runs?

But, maybe they did only intend to print a handful of them as a proof (such as this: http://www.emovieposter.com/agallery/archiveitem/9568216.html ), with the "-0" to indicate it as a proof, and forgot to remove the "-0" before going into mass production? And partway through the production process, someone realized the "oops" and fixed it.

On the other side of the coin, the fact that the versions of the real printers proofs have the 77/21-0 seem to lend credibility to the theory that 77/21-0 is the first printing. I did a quick glance on EMP's auction history, and all of the printer proofs of Style A have the 77/21-0. Since the artwork is all the same in the different versions, I doubt they would have made more printers proofs for the subsequent versions (funky text, etc.). And on the same line of rationale, if the 'funky text' version was the first, why would it not be the one used on the printers proofs?

Lastly, the poster wasn't the only thing that had the "-0" appended to it. I've seen 8x10 stills that had it as well (which of course are being marketed as "the first run" of those items).

So, since the legit proofs have the 77/21-0 on them, I would put more credence into them being the first batch printed for distribution. I just have a hard time thinking that it was intentional.

Offline Mondo Hazardo

• Collector
    • MOVIE★INK. AMSTERDAM
« Reply #2277 on: March 23, 2012, 02:19:51 PM »
Got my posters from Mallam's. No complaints, quick, safe and cheap enough shipping. Was a bit hesitant about the condition, but no complaints there neither. Of the 25 posters 20 were in solid condition, 3 less, 2 poor, but those were expected. All the posters matched the pics of the auction. Only thing not shown was ink bleedthrough from the back, but in no case that was too distracting.
Nice addition to the collection, but also questions:  On two of the posters there was a censor stamp by the British Board Of Censors. These were the older titles. can anyone tell me when this stamp stopped?

Oh and three more pleasant surprises. My first Chantrell:

And two of the three posters that weren't photographed for the auction turned out to be these stunners:

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #2278 on: March 23, 2012, 02:38:20 PM »
Beautiful posters, Wim.
I especially like FRAULEIN...what a great piece of art!
 clap clap clap clap

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #2279 on: March 23, 2012, 03:13:48 PM »
So, since the legit proofs have the 77/21-0 on them, I would put more credence into them being the first batch printed for distribution. I just have a hard time thinking that it was intentional.

Hmmmm.

From Bruce's archive (posted above by enki):

"Important Added Info: Note that this printer's proof was discovered in 2000! A man in southern California inherited a group of uncut posters (all printer's proofs, see below for more on printer's proofs), all from 1977, from a man who worked at a printer at that time. The posters were solely multiple examples of five different 1977 posters. One of the posters was a very forgettable title, "Damnation Alley", one was "Close Encounters of the Third Kind", and the other three were all "Star Wars" posters! Included in this great find were eighteen examples of the style A "Star Wars" poster (with the original "77/21-0" NSS number), and thirty three examples of the style C "Star Wars" poster, and twelve examples of the Spanish style C "Star Wars" poster! The posters were consigned to Bruce Hershenson, who sold 18 sets of both style A and style C U.S. posters, 15 individual style C posters, and the 12 individual Spanish style C posters. All of the 63 posters sold quickly, and very few have been re-offered for sale in the past seven years. Now, one of the original purchasers of these posters (someone who purchased one each of all five different posters) has re-consigned them to Bruce Hershenson, and they are being offered for sale, in five separate eBay auctions. This auction is for the style A "Star Wars" one-sheet poster (see elsewhere on eBay for the other four auctions). Note that this is a very rare uncut printer's proof! After they were printed, they would then be shown to the various people in a position to "OK" them, and once they were completely approved, the printer would print the full print run of the posters. Not only is a printer's proof far more rare than a regular poster, but it is also 100% genuine, there is no fear of purchasing a reproduction!"

This raises an interesting question:

Star Wars was released in May 1977.

Damnation Alley was released in October, 1977.
Close Encounters was released in November 1977.
Star Wars Style C (Spanish and English) was also sometime late in 1977.

See where I am going?

Why did this former employee at a print shop have five different poster styles, 4 clustered from late 1977 and only one from early 1977 and none from in-between?
Hmmm.

I can't argue with Rich's claim to have had Star Wars posters "before the film opened," but I saw the 'funky text' in a theater in May, 1977, I bought one the next day, I acquired more 'funky texts' from theaters in subsequent weeks that summer, and -- months later -- I acquired '-0' one sheets from smaller (non-first run) theaters at the same time that the '-0's' started to show up at my dealer's shop. 

Go figure, eh?

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #2280 on: March 23, 2012, 04:29:12 PM »
A very nice French 1P that sold just now on HA. From 1911, and thru the Vitagraph Co. Winning bid, including the BP, was just over 11,350.00:

-Jeff

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #2281 on: March 23, 2012, 04:56:18 PM »
Wow, great Evil Dead poster.  If it is legit that is awesome.  I think the Aussie video poster used similar-ish chainsaw artwork, but it is a considerably smaller poster.  I've never seen this one before...

So, I'm still hung up on this poster... I was thinking something was off as the roman numeral date looks like 1983.  But on IMDB, it says the movie was made in 1981.  So I looked into it and apparently this movie didn't get a wide release until 1983 and that is the same date on the normal blue-background hand poster.  Does anyone know what poster was used before the main NSS printing.  I was hoping it might be this one, but apparently not. 

And as for this one, I still can't find any use of this specific art (red shirt instead of blue shirt) until the VHS release in 1989.  I did contact the seller and they double checked the measurements for me... they are 27x41.  Could it be a later re-release?  A video release?  There is no rating on it and the NL (New Line) logo looks slightly different than on the regular poster.  Also, the main title and lower corner title on the regular poster is listed as 'The Evil Dead', while on this poster it is just 'Evil Dead' -- same as that Congress VHS release in '89. 

Before I scour the ends of the earth trying to find another copy, I thought I would see y'all think this one is legit or not. 

Offline 50s

• Curator
  • Steve

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #2283 on: March 23, 2012, 05:16:34 PM »
Hubba Hubba  thumbup

Rod Steiger has never looked hotter!

Great set of quads Wim and like Steve I am partial to the back From Eternity.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #2284 on: March 23, 2012, 05:19:05 PM »
So, I'm still hung up on this poster... I was thinking something was off as the roman numeral date looks like 1983.  But on IMDB, it says the movie was made in 1981.  So I looked into it and apparently this movie didn't get a wide release until 1983 and that is the same date on the normal blue-background hand poster.  Does anyone know what poster was used before the main NSS printing.  I was hoping it might be this one, but apparently not. 

And as for this one, I still can't find any use of this specific art (red shirt instead of blue shirt) until the VHS release in 1989.  I did contact the seller and they double checked the measurements for me... they are 27x41.  Could it be a later re-release?  A video release?  There is no rating on it and the NL (New Line) logo looks slightly different than on the regular poster.  Also, the main title and lower corner title on the regular poster is listed as 'The Evil Dead', while on this poster it is just 'Evil Dead' -- same as that Congress VHS release in '89. 

Before I scour the ends of the earth trying to find another copy, I thought I would see y'all think this one is legit or not. 

Matt, it was also just titled EVIL DEAD on the Aussie OS, the Turkish OS and the Aussie daybill. Could this lend credence or provide added evidence that this poster could be an international version of some kind?

Jeff

-Jeff

Offline Mondo Hazardo

• Collector
    • MOVIE★INK. AMSTERDAM
« Reply #2285 on: March 23, 2012, 05:27:43 PM »
Rod Steiger has never looked hotter!

as i said elsewhere, the tagline for the US-posters was "OOH That EKBERG". Hardly seems necessary here, images speak louder than words. However there's a case to be made for "RRRRR that RYAN" I think there was a veto for "His Rod Was In her hands"

Offline Silhouette

• Hoarder
« Reply #2286 on: March 23, 2012, 05:29:57 PM »
Yeah she was a great...actress. So name three things that appealed about Anita Ekberg  ;)

David

• Post-aholic
« Reply #2287 on: March 23, 2012, 05:32:36 PM »

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder

-------

Offline Mondo Hazardo

• Collector
    • MOVIE★INK. AMSTERDAM
« Reply #2288 on: March 23, 2012, 05:51:19 PM »
gentlemen never tell

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #2289 on: March 23, 2012, 11:40:08 PM »

Damn Rich - try and be a gentleman for once - wash yer hands ;)
Chris

Offline archie leach

• Hoarder
« Reply #2290 on: March 24, 2012, 01:59:58 AM »
I can't argue with Rich's claim to have had Star Wars posters "before the film opened," but I saw the 'funky text' in a theater in May, 1977, I bought one the next day, I acquired more 'funky texts' from theaters in subsequent weeks that summer, and -- months later -- I acquired '-0' one sheets from smaller (non-first run) theaters at the same time that the '-0's' started to show up at my dealer's shop. 

Vilmur was trying to find any evidence, particularly a picture, of the use of any Style A's before July, as he theorized that they were not printed until that far into the run.  According to what he could find, at the premieres, the only posters were the Style B advance.

It's times like these that I really hate that the MPT archieves are no longer around...

• Post-aholic
« Reply #2291 on: March 24, 2012, 04:02:22 PM »
I went to the Premiere theatre in NYC when the film was released (the line was long enough that I didn't go in. My pal & I went the second night) and the Style-A was the only style on display. It may have been different in other cities, but that's what it was in NYC - Style-A

-------

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #2292 on: March 24, 2012, 04:41:26 PM »
Heritage Sig Auction just ended.  $1.92 million total, $1.69 million from the first 550 lots (featured in the live auction yesterday) and $236,000 from the 650 sold today in the computer auction. Those figures say a lot about Heritage's business model. Everything (weekly auctions, Ebay sales, etc.) is a side show to the big money live auction posters....
« Last Edit: March 24, 2012, 04:45:40 PM by Dread_Pirate_Mel »

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #2293 on: March 24, 2012, 05:00:42 PM »
I went to the Premiere theatre in NYC when the film was released (the line was long enough that I didn't go in. My pal & I went the second night) and the Style-A was the only style on display. It may have been different in other cities, but that's what it was in NYC - Style-A

Same here, Rich.
It was my second date with my ex.  First time out, lines discouraged us so we caught ANNIE HALL instead.
A few nights later, we arrived earlier to wait on the STAR WARS line. They had a framed A sheet on the outside wall as well as another in the lobby.
No B teaser in sight.
I examined that A sheet at the theater and bought one the very next day.
It was not July.

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #2294 on: March 24, 2012, 05:01:46 PM »
Heritage Sig Auction just ended.  $1.92 million total, $1.69 million from the first 550 lots (featured in the live auction yesterday) and $236,000 from the 650 sold today in the computer auction. Those figures say a lot about Heritage's business model. Everything (weekly auctions, Ebay sales, etc.) is a side show to the big money live auction posters....

What it makes you realize is how pathetic some of our collections are, mine included, of course.  We need to do better.
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #2295 on: March 24, 2012, 05:03:21 PM »
What it makes you realize is how pathetic some of our collections are, mine included, of course.  We need to do better.

Ain't that the truth.

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #2296 on: March 24, 2012, 05:04:44 PM »
Ain't that the truth.

No it's not - unless T was being facetious.

It's wrong to equate sale prices with collection worthiness or collection value (non-monetary of course)
Chris

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #2297 on: March 24, 2012, 05:10:22 PM »
It's wrong to equate sale prices with collection worthiness or collection value (non-monetary of course)

You're right, Chris.
Even though my collection lacks an original Lugosi DRACULA, I feel better now.  wynk

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #2298 on: March 24, 2012, 05:25:18 PM »
No it's not - unless T was being facetious.

I wasn't being facetious. 
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #2299 on: March 24, 2012, 05:26:57 PM »
If I win the lottery or if you lend me some money, Ill do better.

Otherwise you will have to deal with my garbage.  ;D