Author Topic: Post-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....  (Read 2837625 times)

Charlie

Re: Post-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....
« Reply #2200 on: March 18, 2012, 10:03:46 PM »
haha its funny that since i joined up here you see a few people names you recognize and already i have backed out of a bidding war because i have chatted on here. no sense in making someone else pay for stuff your not THAT bothered about i say.
after all we are not savages! haha
although saying that if i have noticed your name holiday i have simply skipped by the item and forgotten it was even listed!   eyeroll
haha

I say we need to make Holiday pay for his stuff.  Enough of being scared.  Hell he might be bluffing just to see if he can get something on the cheap...  ;)

Offline holiday

• Thierry's Nightmare a/k/a King Slut
  • Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
« Reply #2201 on: March 18, 2012, 11:05:13 PM »
This is all very very funny!  Bidding's a tough thing when there's folks I know.  Sometimes I back off, sometimes I don't, and like what was said, it often depends on just how much I want it.  I also thing about  whose collection it belongs in when I can.  I'd always allow Thierry to win something for his Spielberg collection, and there's a lot of you guys who let me pick up stuff for my advertising collection.  I do think a lot of us bump heads on the Japanese material, which is interesting.
Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery

"What happened to all the people?" Mystified MPF Member, February 20, 2010

"I actually quite like the name Peanut."  Andy Neal on MOPO, April 22, 2010

Thierry:  Type the word APF on MPF and it spells: "Banned due to malicious unsolicited private message ".

Charlie to the guy who lost to EatBrie:  You just got "T-boned"!  Happens to the best of us...  Wait until you get "Holidazed"!

Thierry to Silhouette:  Please tell her it's a tiny part of my collection so she doesn't think I'm a total creep.  Oh wait, no, I am a total creep.

Offline enki

• Collector

Offline teamweapon

• Collector
« Reply #2203 on: March 18, 2012, 11:35:55 PM »
This is all very very funny!  Bidding's a tough thing when there's folks I know.  Sometimes I back off, sometimes I don't, and like what was said, it often depends on just how much I want it.  I also thing about  whose collection it belongs in when I can.  I'd always allow Thierry to win something for his Spielberg collection, and there's a lot of you guys who let me pick up stuff for my advertising collection.  I do think a lot of us bump heads on the Japanese material, which is interesting.
its only ever jap things ive seen you bid on that ive been interested in. but it hasnt been essential.
in fact im not sure i have essentials? if its too expensive it isnt that important as i can always find another poster for cheap that looks as good to my eyes.
i would like some more czech/polish posters but i couldnt tell you which? just because of the striking and seemingly random designs they come up with.
at the minute i would love to find an enter the void or irreversible jap poster. or maybe a serbian film? but im not willing to pay crap loads for it
I don't know much, but i do know what my eyes are telling me!
Sean

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #2204 on: March 18, 2012, 11:58:05 PM »
I can't believe this one went for sooooo low:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180831172004&ssPageName=ADME:L:COSI:US:1123

Normally, I would have bid on it, but I have bought enough Star Wars in the past 3 months.  There are too many other posters I want.  I'll get the next one, or the one after that.  Collecting is all about patience.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline enki

• Collector
« Reply #2205 on: March 19, 2012, 12:07:16 AM »
Normally, I would have bid on it, but I have bought enough Star Wars in the past 3 months.  There are too many other posters I want.  I'll get the next one, or the one after that.  Collecting is all about patience.

T

I'm glad you didn't  8). I got it for a fraction of my max bid. My snipe came in at 7 seconds, and only jumped the high bid to $10 over the previous. I sat there waiting for it to go up, but it never did. My wife and I almost fell over that we got it for that price. It's certainly a rare piece, in great condition, and will fit very nicely into my ever growing Star Wars collection.

On the other hand, I did miss out on that Star Wars Style A. I really wanted it, but it ended up going a bit too high IMHO. I was about to come in at the end with a bid, but before I could submit it, another bidder came in and the price jumped above what I was about to bid, so I gave up. Oh well, I'm sure I'll see another one of those soon enough.

I am hoping that a good quality Chaykin will come up soon. Or one of the other rare ones (Birthday, Concert, Hildebrandt).

So please continue to hold off on your Star Wars acquisitions for the time being ;).

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #2206 on: March 19, 2012, 01:31:30 AM »
I go in bursts.  I spent more than 2k on 3 Star Wars posters over the past 2 or 3 months.  Before that, I had not bought one in a year or so.  I have so many collections I'm trying to complete, I cannot put all my eggs in the same basket.  I have to spread the wealth.  I don't intend to buy any SW posters any time soon, unless the price is obscenely low, which can always happen.

Not tonight, though ;)

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline enki

• Collector
« Reply #2207 on: March 19, 2012, 11:56:23 PM »
Speaking of Star Wars posters, I'm kind of curious about this one:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&_trksid=p4340.l2557&hash=item2c63a62419&item=190650393625&nma=true&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&rt=nc&si=U9NoJG3OJZwWYg0DFe5SEIpn0uU%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

As the subtitle says, it's a "RARE BORDERLESS INTERNATIONAL", and the listing further goes on to say that cinemasterpieces has never before seen one like this.

I did a little bit of research, and can't find any information about it. It's not listed in the Star Wars Poster Book, which specifically mentions the white border around the International version. I couldn't find any other pictures of a similar one online. I was able to find one reference to it here:
http://www.theforce.net/collecting/posters/rotj/style-b.asp

Where it says:
"The third variation is the international poster. The international version doesn't have the white border around the poster and measures only 26 3/4 x 39 1/4. 'Return of the Jedi Style B International One Sheet' is printed in silver in the bottom right corner. The PG rating and the phrase 'May be too intense for very young children' was dropped from the poster and the phrase 'Trade marks owned by Lucasfilm Ltd. (LFL) and used by Film Freak Shop under authorization' was added to the copyright information. "

However, this seems to imply that the Intl version comes standard with no white border, which is obviously incorrect, and doesn't even make mention of the white border version. But it does go on to mention the label in silver at the bottom right, which is correct, so I have to assume it is talking about this poster.

I can't find a similar poster at any other auction site history.

It did peak my interest, and I was going to bid on it, but it jumped at the end and I missed out.

Anyone here familiar with this version?
« Last Edit: March 19, 2012, 11:56:48 PM by enki »

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #2208 on: March 20, 2012, 12:09:45 AM »
I haven't done a side-by-side, but do the white border versions have cropped artwork compared with this one?  Or is the artwork enlarged to fit the full 27x41" space?

By the way, did anyone see that rolle first printing SW?  Damn near a $1000!

Offline enki

• Collector
« Reply #2209 on: March 20, 2012, 12:24:39 AM »
I haven't done a side-by-side, but do the white border versions have cropped artwork compared with this one?  Or is the artwork enlarged to fit the full 27x41" space?

By the way, did anyone see that rolle first printing SW?  Damn near a $1000!

I compared the two (regular international and this borderless one) and the artwork is definitely cropped on the standard white border version. The borderless one in this auction has extended artwork where the border would have been. The standard intl is almost identical to the US 1SH which also has the cropped artwork (compared to this one).

Here is what I mean:

So it's definitely not just a 'zoomed in' version. However, the same missing artwork IS present in some of the other country specific international versions, so it does look legit.

HOWEVER, one thing that has me curious/concerned is this line in the copyright information: "Trade marks owned by Lucasfilm Ltd. (LFL) and used by Film Freak Shop under authorization"

Who is Film Freak Shop? That certainly doesn't sound like a movie distribution company. More like a license reprint company. Which leads me to believe that this is NOT a true International 1SH, and is instead a somewhat rare authorized reprint, which took the background image from a different international print. If so, the auction listing was incorrect.

And yes, I saw that $1000 Style A first printing. I wanted it, but it went too high for me.

Bruce

« Reply #2210 on: March 20, 2012, 12:30:47 AM »
Film Freak posters are commercial posters.

Bruce

Charlie

« Reply #2211 on: March 20, 2012, 12:35:37 AM »
$190 for a commercial poster, ouch...

Offline enki

• Collector
« Reply #2212 on: March 20, 2012, 12:37:21 AM »
Thanks Bruce.

Well, that sucks for the guy who spent $192.49 on it!

Cinemasterpieces might want to let the guy know that "This is a genuine 27" x 41" U.S. International one sheet ORIGINAL MOVIE POSTER issued by the studio when the film was released and meant for theatrical display." isn't exactly accurate.

I did find a few more references to it online, but it seems like they ALL stem from the same source (http://www.starwarsmovieposter.com/popups/usosrotjint.htm). I imagine that whoever put together that information based it off of the commercial poster, and didn't realize it wasn't the true International 1SH.

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #2213 on: March 20, 2012, 12:43:18 AM »

Cinemasterpieces might want to let the guy know that "This is a genuine 27" x 41" U.S. International one sheet ORIGINAL MOVIE POSTER issued by the studio when the film was released and meant for theatrical display." isn't exactly accurate.

Yeah, we'll see about that.

Shouldn't Dave know better given the blatant "Film Freak" markings?
« Last Edit: March 20, 2012, 12:44:11 AM by CSM »
Chris

Offline enki

• Collector
« Reply #2214 on: March 20, 2012, 12:48:31 AM »
Yeah, we'll see about that.

Shouldn't Dave know better given the blatant "Film Freak" markings?

I sent him a PM and referenced this thread.

It could have been one of his employees who examined/listed it. And a few sites do inaccurately list it as genuine, so I think it could be an honest mistake.

Honestly, I think it looks much better then the legit Intl 1SH. Not only do you get the larger picture, but the silver identification text at the bottom looks nice on the black background. Too bad it's commercial - maybe the studio should have paid Film Freak to make the real one.

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #2215 on: March 20, 2012, 12:52:40 AM »
I am sure Dave will have an explanation (like he always does). 
Chris

Offline CineMasterpieces

• Collector
    • CineMasterpieces Movie Posters
« Reply #2216 on: March 20, 2012, 01:48:41 AM »
doh!

didn't see the film freak writing, it is pretty small. I'll let the buyer know, I don't think he has paid yet. Thank you detectives!

I brought this one to everyone's attention last week in the mid auction analysis thread, and the only one who commented was Bruce who thought it was a "great find". Where were you guys then? oh well.....live and learn. :)
« Last Edit: March 20, 2012, 02:25:54 AM by CineMasterpieces »

longdog

« Reply #2217 on: March 20, 2012, 05:21:52 AM »
I've always been unsure of this version myself and got rid of my copy over twenty years ago to replace it with the domestic 1-sheet. However, I do believe the poster was referenced on the back of the 'Killian' Star Wars check list if anyone does have it to hand and might offer a bit more information.

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #2218 on: March 20, 2012, 09:57:29 AM »
doh!

didn't see the film freak writing, it is pretty small. I'll let the buyer know, I don't think he has paid yet. Thank you detectives!

I brought this one to everyone's attention last week in the mid auction analysis thread, and the only one who commented was Bruce who thought it was a "great find". Where were you guys then? oh well.....live and learn. :)

Probably not our responsibility Dave.  I didn't notice because you can only see it on an enlarged pic
Chris

Offline enki

• Collector
« Reply #2219 on: March 20, 2012, 10:18:20 AM »
Eh, mistakes happen. It's what people do after the mistake is caught that matters.

Offline CineMasterpieces

• Collector
    • CineMasterpieces Movie Posters
« Reply #2220 on: March 20, 2012, 10:21:22 AM »
the funny thing is that this commercial poster is actually rarer than the real theatrical issued ones. If he doesn't want it I will probably re auction it properly described (I wonder what it will go for?), or I may just add it to my own collection.

Offline enki

• Collector
« Reply #2221 on: March 20, 2012, 10:22:53 AM »
the funny thing is that this commercial poster is actually rarer than the real theatrical issued ones. If he doesn't want it I will probably re auction it properly described (I wonder what it will go for?), or I may just add it to my own collection.

I'd bid on it (though certainly not at $190). As I mentioned above, I think it looks better than the real Intl 1SH.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2012, 10:23:02 AM by enki »

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #2222 on: March 20, 2012, 12:03:31 PM »
Film Freak posters are commercial posters.

Bruce

I'm guessing this is the Film Freak (Productions) you referenced, Bruce?
Here is the poster: http://filmfreakproductions.nl/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=shop.flypage&product_id=1163&category_id=71&manufacturer_id=0&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=26

After looking through their goods, it all looks like reprints.

Offline enki

• Collector
« Reply #2223 on: March 20, 2012, 12:13:20 PM »
I'm guessing this is the Film Freak (Productions) you referenced, Bruce?
Here is the poster: http://filmfreakproductions.nl/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=shop.flypage&product_id=1163&category_id=71&manufacturer_id=0&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=26

After looking through their goods, it all looks like reprints.

Nice find. I sent them an email to see how much they charge for the poster.

agentprovocateur

« Reply #2224 on: March 20, 2012, 12:27:33 PM »
Nice find. I sent them an email to see how much they charge for the poster.

enki I'd also check to make sure the two small bits of text bottom left and right are on the one they're selling (which are on the CineMasterpieces version) as they don't seem to be on the image on their website.