Author Topic: Post-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....  (Read 2837575 times)

Offline holiday

• Thierry's Nightmare a/k/a King Slut
  • Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
Re: Post-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....
« Reply #2175 on: March 15, 2012, 11:10:15 PM »
Hey, check eBay; everything on emovie goes high.  I wonder what kind of kickback Holiday gets for driving up prices?   ;)

Funny!  What attracted me was the supreme condition of these particular rolled posters.  I picked up the ROJ, Ms. 45 and Color of Money, all rolled and very fine to fine condition.  I love posters like that, and I happen to like each of those movies too.  If they were lesser condition, I would have passed.
Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery

"What happened to all the people?" Mystified MPF Member, February 20, 2010

"I actually quite like the name Peanut."  Andy Neal on MOPO, April 22, 2010

Thierry:  Type the word APF on MPF and it spells: "Banned due to malicious unsolicited private message ".

Charlie to the guy who lost to EatBrie:  You just got "T-boned"!  Happens to the best of us...  Wait until you get "Holidazed"!

Thierry to Silhouette:  Please tell her it's a tiny part of my collection so she doesn't think I'm a total creep.  Oh wait, no, I am a total creep.

Offline holiday

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
« Reply #2176 on: March 15, 2012, 11:12:17 PM »

Plus, there are a few posters I want in the upcoming Cinemasterpieces eBay auction that I'm sure will cost a pretty penny, so I wanted to reserve my funds for Sunday.

Like that rolled ANH.  That's an awesome poster, and I just can't afford it right now.  Contrary to popular belief, I have limits.
Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery

Thierry:  Type the word APF on MPF and it spells: "Banned due to malicious unsolicited private message ".

Charlie to the guy who lost to EatBrie:  You just got "T-boned"!  Happens to the best of us...  Wait until you get "Holidazed"!

Thierry to Silhouette:  Please tell her it's a tiny part of my collection so she doesn't think I'm a total creep.  Oh wait, no, I am a total creep.

Offline enki

• Collector
« Reply #2177 on: March 15, 2012, 11:14:26 PM »
Oh YOU'RE jellycat!  I think I cursed you a bit.  I backed off of one that you wanted, and I was looking for Jellycat to back off a bit too - share the wealth.  You did so in the end and I appreciate it!

In the future, and this goes for anyone on this forum, if there is a poster that you must have, don't be afraid to drop me a line if you see me bidding on it.  I usually put in bids a few days ahead of time just to let people out there know what I'm interested in, now that I use my real name for the auctions.  While I don't always give in, many many times I do, especially for those who work with me.  Thierry and I routinely compare our want lists so that we're not stepping all over each other.

Hahaha. No, I was (am) 'shamus'. But yes, I too backed off in the end when I saw you and he get into a small bidding war :).

I appreciate the offer. There really wasn't anything I desperately wanted in this auction. I did pick up a few posters, but wound up only spending about $70 combined.

Though as I mentioned in my last post, there are a couple posters in this Sunday's eBay auction that I *WILL* be getting, unless they go to some ridiculous price.

Offline holiday

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
« Reply #2178 on: March 15, 2012, 11:16:55 PM »
Ah fuck, I get them all mixed up.
Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery

Offline enki

• Collector
« Reply #2179 on: March 15, 2012, 11:17:10 PM »
Like that rolled ANH.  That's an awesome poster, and I just can't afford it right now.  Contrary to popular belief, I have limits.

SHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.
:P

That might be one of them.....

Freefall

« Reply #2180 on: March 15, 2012, 11:20:11 PM »
Ah fuck, I get them all mixed up.

And I am Freefall ;)

Offline Ari

• Curator
    • OFFALEATERS HOUSE OF THE DAMNED
« Reply #2181 on: March 15, 2012, 11:21:17 PM »
Funny!  What attracted me was the supreme condition of these particular rolled posters.  I picked up the ROJ, Ms. 45 and Color of Money, all rolled and very fine to fine condition.  I love posters like that, and I happen to like each of those movies too.  If they were lesser condition, I would have passed.

MS45 is a poster I would prefer rolled, dog knows why. Like my Howling 1 sheet, I wouldn't care for this one folded (again dont know why)
An Error Has Occurred!
You can't report your own post to the moderator, that doesn't make sense!

Offline holiday

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
« Reply #2182 on: March 16, 2012, 12:16:53 AM »
MS45 is a poster I would prefer rolled, dog knows why. Like my Howling 1 sheet, I wouldn't care for this one folded (again dont know why)

Yeah, I have a folded, and doesn't work well.  I think with both that one and Howling, it's the large dark expanses that don't look as good folded as they do rolled and, thus, unspoiled.
Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery

Offline Ari

• Curator
« Reply #2183 on: March 16, 2012, 12:29:58 AM »
good, thought I might sound insane there for a minute. oh wait...
An Error Has Occurred!

Offline holiday

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
« Reply #2184 on: March 16, 2012, 12:34:00 AM »
exactly
Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery

Charlie

« Reply #2185 on: March 17, 2012, 09:54:58 AM »
Well I didn't get anything at Mallam's - Thanks Mel...   moron1  ;)

As soon as I thought it was getting to a stopping point on the To Catch A Thief; wham the internet went crazy and doubled my commission bid.  It went for $2,950 after BP+VAT...  Anybody on here get it?  Congrats to whom ever did. It is a beauty!

« Last Edit: March 17, 2012, 09:56:16 AM by Charlie »

Offline Mondo Hazardo

• Collector
    • MOVIE★INK. AMSTERDAM
« Reply #2186 on: March 17, 2012, 10:08:02 AM »
Mallam's did very well. Only picked up a few lesser lots just because they were there. The things I really liked slipped through my hands really fast. Did win A TOWN LIKE ALICE and ANGEL FACE in mixed lots, happy about that. Also CROSSFIRE but that's pretty beaten up. I hope that's the only one when they show up. Have no idea how they do with shipping.
What about that 1000 pounds for BRIDES OF DRACULA?
« Last Edit: March 17, 2012, 10:13:57 AM by Mondo Hazardo »

Offline Ari

• Curator
« Reply #2187 on: March 17, 2012, 10:50:27 AM »
was quite exciting watching the DRACULA Quad.
An Error Has Occurred!

Offline Mondo Hazardo

• Collector
    • MOVIE★INK. AMSTERDAM
« Reply #2188 on: March 17, 2012, 10:55:37 AM »
yes 10,000 pounds that makes it a nifty $ 19,000 with BP

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #2189 on: March 17, 2012, 11:06:24 AM »
yes 10,000 pounds that makes it a nifty $ 19,000 with BP

Now that's some blood sucking!
Chris

Online Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #2190 on: March 17, 2012, 12:53:53 PM »
Did anybody see what the Quester Whipeout quad (at Mallam's) sold for?

Offline marklawd

• Hoarder
« Reply #2191 on: March 17, 2012, 02:54:44 PM »
Just got back from Mallam's. The small auction room was packed and internet and telephone bidding was very active. No bargains today.

One intriguing situation which occurred several times was when the auctioneer was taking low bids in the room only to suddenly notice that two internet bidders were furiously bidding against each other at levels at higher levels. He appeared a little bemused and advised the auction room at one point that the etiquette was that he should finish competitive bidding in the room before picking up internet bids. This was clearly difficult to do.

That To Catch a Thief quad will need some light restoration - someone had written a date with sharp pencil prominently on Grace's cheek.

Would "Bidder 802" on the telephone please identify themselves either on here or by pm so I may congratulate them? I was the underbidder on three of the posters they won - Killer's Kiss (an early Kubrick film - I bid on impulse), 12 Angry Men (much better artwork on the quad than US one sheet - one of two posters I hoped at the beginning of the day to get) and Saint Joan (which looked striking in quad format). I did win the other quad I was after - Phantom of the Opera (in great unused condition) - and I got a consolation - The Blob.

Buyers commission was 20% plus 20% VAT on that.

Sorry Neo, I missed the last few lots so don't know what the Quester Wipeout sold for - that was certainly a unique piece.

Mark

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #2192 on: March 17, 2012, 03:08:11 PM »
Phantom of the Opera (in great unused condition)

I'd love to see a better picture of that one if you get the chance... it's a stunning poster and was definitely on my watch list.  Congrats!

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #2193 on: March 17, 2012, 03:14:01 PM »
Sorry Mark, I may have bided you up on that Phantom, I was after it but had spent a bit up until that point... Thanks Mel..... >:(

Do you know who bought the Brides of Dracula...?
It's more than a Hobby...

Online Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #2194 on: March 17, 2012, 03:16:30 PM »
The Quester Wipeout is very cool.  The €200-300 estimate seemed low, all things considered.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2012, 03:19:29 PM by NeoLoco »

Offline Mondo Hazardo

• Collector
    • MOVIE★INK. AMSTERDAM
« Reply #2195 on: March 17, 2012, 03:25:33 PM »
that Killer's Kiss really took off, how much was it in the end, 700? I stopped looking at 400 and checked the next lots. Against my better judgment I was hoping to snatch the Quatermass II. I had a bad feeling when the Viva las Vegas lot (lot 10) flew to a 200 pounds in no time, then hoped it would tail off to the end, but alas. One thing's for sure, most British quads of let's say lesser or average titles from the fifties are vastly superior over any US posters.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2012, 03:26:13 PM by Mondo Hazardo »

Charlie

« Reply #2196 on: March 17, 2012, 06:35:38 PM »
That To Catch a Thief quad will need some light restoration - someone had written a date with sharp pencil prominently on Grace's cheek.

So you got the TCAT? I thought I saw an internet bidder got it...

Offline theartofmovieposters

• Collector
    • theartofmovieposters
« Reply #2197 on: March 17, 2012, 06:36:26 PM »
Mallam's did very well. Only picked up a few lesser lots just because they were there. The things I really liked slipped through my hands really fast. Did win A TOWN LIKE ALICE and ANGEL FACE in mixed lots, happy about that. Also CROSSFIRE but that's pretty beaten up. I hope that's the only one when they show up. Have no idea how they do with shipping.
What about that 1000 pounds for BRIDES OF DRACULA?

I wanted me that A TOWN LIKE ALICE Quad....sniff...I'll have to make do with the daybill and one sheet...for now!
Ves

Offline marklawd

• Hoarder
« Reply #2198 on: March 17, 2012, 08:52:56 PM »
So you got the TCAT? I thought I saw an internet bidder got it...

No, just mentioning the condition.

Mark

Offline teamweapon

• Collector
« Reply #2199 on: March 18, 2012, 10:01:58 PM »
Oh YOU'RE jellycat!  I think I cursed you a bit.  I backed off of one that you wanted, and I was looking for Jellycat to back off a bit too - share the wealth.  You did so in the end and I appreciate it!

In the future, and this goes for anyone on this forum, if there is a poster that you must have, don't be afraid to drop me a line if you see me bidding on it.  I usually put in bids a few days ahead of time just to let people out there know what I'm interested in, now that I use my real name for the auctions.  While I don't always give in, many many times I do, especially for those who work with me.  Thierry and I routinely compare our want lists so that we're not stepping all over each other.
haha its funny that since i joined up here you see a few people names you recognize and already i have backed out of a bidding war because i have chatted on here. no sense in making someone else pay for stuff your not THAT bothered about i say.
after all we are not savages! haha
although saying that if i have noticed your name holiday i have simply skipped by the item and forgotten it was even listed!   eyeroll
haha
I don't know much, but i do know what my eyes are telling me!
Sean