Author Topic: Post-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....  (Read 2838074 times)

Offline paul waines

• Curator
Re: Post-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....
« Reply #2150 on: March 14, 2012, 02:40:50 AM »

Coming in at third, the UK quad for ONE MILLION YEARS B.C. ($655.00)

I've always said this poster "should" be up in this price range, and more. But due to the amount of them out there it isn't... Who paid that amount!!!!  crazy people, I have two if anyone wants to pay £500... ;)

« Last Edit: March 14, 2012, 02:44:21 AM by paul waines »
It's more than a Hobby...

Offline Ari

• Curator
    • OFFALEATERS HOUSE OF THE DAMNED
« Reply #2151 on: March 14, 2012, 02:45:45 AM »
Its a top poster for two top films, with 2 loverly lass's by the best film company in history, HOW CAN IT BE BAD?
An Error Has Occurred!
You can't report your own post to the moderator, that doesn't make sense!

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #2152 on: March 14, 2012, 02:50:08 AM »
It's a fantastic poster Ari, just not at that price there's many of them about at sensible prices...
It's more than a Hobby...

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #2153 on: March 14, 2012, 04:50:33 AM »
How could I not?! It says "Frankenstain" ;)

the general consensus with people I've spoken to is that it is a 50s or even 60s poster
not an original release, although it is probably the first release in Turkey.

In many countries in this region & eastern European countries, alot of the Universal horror movies were not shown until the late 50s & 60s due to the "horror" nature of the films, which were seen as just too graphic and in other cases, too close to the folklore of the region

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Offline Ari

• Curator
    • OFFALEATERS HOUSE OF THE DAMNED
« Reply #2154 on: March 14, 2012, 05:07:07 AM »
It's a fantastic poster Ari, just not at that price there's many of them about at sensible prices...

Oh I know, as I said I used to have about 15 of them, sold for a LOT less than that, and paid a LOT LOT LOT less for them myself.

An Error Has Occurred!
You can't report your own post to the moderator, that doesn't make sense!

Offline joneyyy

• Collector
« Reply #2155 on: March 14, 2012, 09:15:59 AM »
i bloody forgot to bid on that italian job quad.

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #2156 on: March 14, 2012, 10:07:11 AM »
I had been watching this WC auction, too, this evening, on ebay. Up until the last 8 seconds, the price stood at 24.00. Then it jumped to the winning bid of 570.00, in the final few. It had been trimmed pretty severely, missing about 2" off the left side and about 6" (including the blank, white advert area) on the top:

Is that an original release Jeff?  Know of any sales results for it?  I would think once restored that ain't a bad price at all!
Chris

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #2157 on: March 14, 2012, 10:42:19 AM »

According to the imdb, this was first released in Turkey, December, 1939 (no record of Turkish RR). If this poster is truly from '39, I'd say the buyer got quite a bargain.

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #2158 on: March 14, 2012, 10:48:57 AM »
Is that an original release Jeff?  Know of any sales results for it?  I would think once restored that ain't a bad price at all!

I think Brice sold one about 8-10 years ago for like $625. However, I imagine it will have gone up since then. I was watching this one as well... I put in a meager bid, hoping that the trimming would scare others off. Apparently not.  ;D

Offline 110x75

• Hoarder
« Reply #2159 on: March 14, 2012, 11:04:30 AM »
I think Brice sold one about 8-10 years ago for like $625. However, I imagine it will have gone up since then. I was watching this one as well... I put in a meager bid, hoping that the trimming would scare others off. Apparently not.  ;D

It would have made a nice companion to that London After Midnight card  thumbup
Matias
http://110x75.blogspot.com.ar/

IG: @cinepapelarchivo

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #2160 on: March 14, 2012, 11:12:07 AM »

Ahh - I see that now Matt.  Although it is rather bland, surprised the results on that card have been so low
Chris

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #2161 on: March 14, 2012, 01:03:46 PM »
It would have made a nice companion to that London After Midnight card  thumbup

My thoughts exactly.

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #2162 on: March 14, 2012, 04:53:27 PM »

poster is totally boring. if Chaney's name wasn't on it, it would be a $24 poster

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #2163 on: March 14, 2012, 06:23:37 PM »
poster is totally boring. if Chaney's name wasn't on it, it would be a $24 poster

What if it had St. Paul's on it?
« Last Edit: March 14, 2012, 06:23:48 PM by CSM »
Chris

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #2164 on: March 15, 2012, 01:41:25 AM »
Is that an original release Jeff?  Know of any sales results for it?  I would think once restored that ain't a bad price at all!

Hi Chris,

Yes this is an original release. And the film itself and Chaney's name did bring that premium winning bid. It's a vibrant poster with great contrasting colors of red and black; not boring in the least. The fact is the WC WAS printed with Chaney's name on it (as was most of the ephemera he starred in). To say what a poster would be worth, if his name wasnt on the card is irrelevant, since it only exists in this fashion (with his name).

In addition to Chaney's name, the film is a silent, Universal classic, and one of Chaney's most recognizable film roles (and films). This card would most likely always fetch a premium, even in that poorly trimmed condition, IMO. This was evidenced and shown with yesterday's winning bid.

Opinions will differ, as we all know, however.

« Last Edit: March 15, 2012, 02:00:03 AM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #2165 on: March 15, 2012, 01:49:00 AM »
According to the imdb, this was first released in Turkey, December, 1939 (no record of Turkish RR). If this poster is truly from '39, I'd say the buyer got quite a bargain.

Quite right Ted. The first release of SON OF FRANK, in Turkey was in December of 1939. That doesnt mean that this poster can be said to be from that first release. But based on research and queries from various sources I have made, the poster is either a late 1940s or possible early 1950s release.

It would be great if this poster was from the '39 first release, but the Milli Film logo, in the lower right of the poster, helps with this question. This was a company that was formed in Turkey, in 1948, so that late 40s/early 50s time frame is most likely.

Jeff

-Jeff

Offline Tang Lung in Rome

• Hoarder
« Reply #2166 on: March 15, 2012, 02:48:10 AM »
Good detective work , guys  ;)

I find the "minimalistic/simplistic" KK art of that French poster charming actually......albeit not 10k charming  :P

Too bad I missed TX Chainsaw quad.......
« Last Edit: March 15, 2012, 02:49:28 AM by Tang Lung in Rome »

Der Januskopf

« Reply #2167 on: March 15, 2012, 03:04:27 AM »
My thoughts exactly.

I'll second that.

That Hunchback WC is great. Fantastic red and black combination!  happy1

Offline enki

• Collector
« Reply #2168 on: March 15, 2012, 09:23:09 PM »
Damn Holiday, you really wanted that Return of the Jedi Style B.

Went a little too high for me, so I backed off :).

Charlie

« Reply #2169 on: March 15, 2012, 09:42:33 PM »

Hey, check eBay; everything on emovie goes high.  I wonder what kind of kickback Holiday gets for driving up prices?   ;)

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #2170 on: March 15, 2012, 09:44:25 PM »
What Holiday wants, Holiday gets.  If he really wants something, be ready to pay a lot of money if you go against him.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #2171 on: March 15, 2012, 09:52:31 PM »
What Holiday wants, Holiday gets.  If he really wants something, be ready to pay a lot of money if you go against him.

T

I dont see how he is really any different than anyone else.

If you want it and can afford it....Why the hell not get it ?!

He just has more than many in the afford category.

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #2172 on: March 15, 2012, 10:18:19 PM »
He just has more than many in the afford category.

That's what makes him different.
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline enki

• Collector
« Reply #2173 on: March 15, 2012, 10:26:03 PM »
For me, it wasn't a question of whether I could afford to keep bidding. It simply didn't seem worth it (to me) to continue to bid. Prior auctions for the same item/quality were averaging $100-120 in the recent past, and it isn't a rare item - though it's certainly a nice quality specimen. I stopped at $126, but he and one other guy got it up to $158. I was also going for the lightsaber style ROTJ poster, but it went (slightly) above the limit I had set for myself, which I've been trying to keep better control over ;). When that happened and I stopped bidding on the other poster, I did contemplate pulling the trigger at one more bid attempt on the Style B, but figured that I would hold off since Holiday kept bidding more on it, and it seemed like he wanted it more then I.

Plus, there are a few posters I want in the upcoming Cinemasterpieces eBay auction that I'm sure will cost a pretty penny, so I wanted to reserve my funds for Sunday.

Offline holiday

• Thierry's Nightmare a/k/a King Slut
  • Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
« Reply #2174 on: March 15, 2012, 11:08:40 PM »

Oh YOU'RE jellycat!  I think I cursed you a bit.  I backed off of one that you wanted, and I was looking for Jellycat to back off a bit too - share the wealth.  You did so in the end and I appreciate it!

In the future, and this goes for anyone on this forum, if there is a poster that you must have, don't be afraid to drop me a line if you see me bidding on it.  I usually put in bids a few days ahead of time just to let people out there know what I'm interested in, now that I use my real name for the auctions.  While I don't always give in, many many times I do, especially for those who work with me.  Thierry and I routinely compare our want lists so that we're not stepping all over each other.
Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery

"What happened to all the people?" Mystified MPF Member, February 20, 2010

"I actually quite like the name Peanut."  Andy Neal on MOPO, April 22, 2010

Thierry:  Type the word APF on MPF and it spells: "Banned due to malicious unsolicited private message ".

Charlie to the guy who lost to EatBrie:  You just got "T-boned"!  Happens to the best of us...  Wait until you get "Holidazed"!

Thierry to Silhouette:  Please tell her it's a tiny part of my collection so she doesn't think I'm a total creep.  Oh wait, no, I am a total creep.