Author Topic: Post-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....  (Read 2837219 times)

Bruce

Re: Post-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....
« Reply #2075 on: February 20, 2012, 07:32:59 AM »
That is true, David, and it is a HUGE amount of work for our staff (packing, shipping, invoicing) but it is staggering how much money you save when you get two packages instead of five or ten sent to Australia.

Bruce

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #2076 on: February 23, 2012, 11:01:40 PM »

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #2078 on: February 23, 2012, 11:49:47 PM »

Yeah, I was watching that one... had a bit of cello tape on the edges, but that should come off easily with bestine.  More than I'd ever spend on it, but I guess it isn't a bad price if you are comparing with eMovie or HA.

Charlie

« Reply #2079 on: February 28, 2012, 07:14:20 PM »
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150766258769&ssPageName=ADME:B:WNA:US:1123

Anybody see this one.  I was thinking about bidding but didn't figuring a large sniper would be lurking...

« Last Edit: February 28, 2012, 07:19:49 PM by Charlie »

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #2080 on: February 28, 2012, 08:41:41 PM »
Charlie - shouldn't your post have said "I was going to bid, but then came to my senses and remember the film is utter shite"?
Chris

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #2081 on: February 28, 2012, 08:47:43 PM »
the film is utter shite"?

3D shite... its almost like you can reach out and squish it through your fingers!

Charlie

« Reply #2082 on: February 28, 2012, 08:49:45 PM »
Charlie - shouldn't your post have said "I was going to bid, but then came to my senses and remember the film is utter shite"?

Well I haven't seen 3D maybe they digitally removed JarJar... Who know what Lucas will do?  I was going through my old boxes of VHS and DVD and realized that I just have to keep everything Stars Wars from VHS to VHS rerelease/special edition (4, 5, 6) to, to DVD (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, and 6) set to now blu-ray...  Because I just know that one day I will get an itch to see the ewoks dancing at the end versus the modified crap with that teen beat guy...  

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #2083 on: February 28, 2012, 09:04:53 PM »
3D shite... its almost like you can reach out and squish it through your fingers!

I wonder if Lucas will release it Sense-o-rama next - so we can all smell the shite as well?
Chris

agentprovocateur

« Reply #2084 on: March 06, 2012, 01:38:41 PM »
Had mucho bad luck lately on my ebaying...

Managed not to have the money to bid on the Azkaban lamp post lenticular that went for the first bid of $250 (listed in the reproduction section!). I thought it was a reasonable price but knows what it would have been if there'd been a bid-off.

Then I found one of the small advance Azkaban lenticulars (7"x10" ish) and popped a bid in. As it was listed in a weird section (collectibles > myth & magic > Harry Potter!!!!) I was hopeful, but no, whilst I was out someone out bided me and I missed the end of the auction! It went for £22.99 :'(

No good bl**dy m*th* f*ck*ng s*ons of beatches, mutter mutter gnash wail moan... several big swigs of single malt... numbness!

They're out there and I'm going to bag me a bargain one of these days... mark my words mesmrized

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #2085 on: March 06, 2012, 01:42:07 PM »
Bummer.  But you'll find it eventually... you are clearly looking under every rock!

Offline jayn_j

• Hoarder
« Reply #2086 on: March 06, 2012, 01:57:20 PM »
What it does say is think more carefully about your bidding.  If you are going to be gone, either employ a snipe program or simply bid your max before you leave.  If you don't get it, at least you made the other guy pay.  In both of these cases, you let the other bidder steal the poster.
-Jay-

agentprovocateur

« Reply #2087 on: March 06, 2012, 02:27:44 PM »
Cheers Matt, my eyes are peeled and hopefully the wallet will fill!

I know what you're saying jayn_j, but as I said I didn't have the money to put even one bid on the lamp post version (so I was annoyed at being skint). With the small advance version my bid had been £22, if I'd managed to put another bid in I could have only added another couple of squid (so this time I was even more frustrated because it was a cheap item... and still I couldn't get in on the action). But I suppose you're right, should have gone the full £25 in the first place, although 'making the other guy pay <more>' doesn't really come into my thinking.

So really all my over-the-top swearing was more for effect than sheer despair, and my amazing lack of funds atm, me thinks I got a bit too theatrical with my post ;D

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #2088 on: March 06, 2012, 06:28:33 PM »
No good bl**dy m*th* f*ck*ng s*ons of beatches, mutter mutter gnash wail moan... several big swigs of single malt... numbness!

I go through this war dance at least once a week.
 pctrash
Sucks hind teat, it does.
My sympathies, Ian.

Bruce

« Reply #2089 on: March 06, 2012, 09:20:24 PM »

Charlie

Bruce

« Reply #2091 on: March 06, 2012, 09:26:24 PM »
It takes two to tango (at least it does in an HONEST auction). The underbidder also loved it, just a hair less.

Bruce

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #2092 on: March 06, 2012, 10:14:46 PM »
and next time because the high bidder won't be around anymore duke050 will beat the underbidder at $100 and save himself $400

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Offline enki

• Collector
« Reply #2093 on: March 06, 2012, 11:00:03 PM »
This is why, on eBay, I only bid at the last possible moment.

Because it's so easy to get yourself into a bidding war with people. Even if you know you're doing it and don't want to. The whole "it's only a couple dollars more then what my max was" mentality goes into play, again and again.

Even on the handful of auctions I've won at EMP, on a few of them I've spent more then what I originally planned on. Though I also walked away from quite a few too when the prices got ridiculous.

Offline archie leach

• Hoarder
« Reply #2094 on: March 06, 2012, 11:16:24 PM »
This is why, on eBay, I only bid at the last possible moment.

Because it's so easy to get yourself into a bidding war with people. Even if you know you're doing it and don't want to. The whole "it's only a couple dollars more then what my max was" mentality goes into play, again and again.

Even on the handful of auctions I've won at EMP, on a few of them I've spent more then what I originally planned on. Though I also walked away from quite a few too when the prices got ridiculous.

I find it best to set a bid... and just walk away from the computer...

Bruce

« Reply #2095 on: March 06, 2012, 11:28:31 PM »
"I find it best to set a bid... and just walk away from the computer..."

Fortunately for my consignors of better pieces, not too many bidders are able to stick to this!

Bruce

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #2096 on: March 06, 2012, 11:31:46 PM »
I always bid with 4:30 to 5 minutes left on Bruce's auctions, within the last 3 seconds on Ebay.
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline archie leach

• Hoarder
« Reply #2097 on: March 06, 2012, 11:37:58 PM »
"I find it best to set a bid... and just walk away from the computer..."

Fortunately for my consignors of better pieces, not too many bidders are able to stick to this!

It's the eternal struggle...

Bruce

« Reply #2098 on: March 06, 2012, 11:47:44 PM »
"I always bid with 4:30 to 5 minutes left on Bruce's auctions, within the last 3 seconds on Ebay."

Change that to "I always bid with 5:03 minutes left on Bruce's auctions, within the last 3 seconds on Ebay." and you have the absolute best strategy for both places (your way you slightly extend the auctions, and who wants to do that?).

Bruce

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #2099 on: March 06, 2012, 11:54:34 PM »
Because I think a lot of people bid like you said and I want to see what the item is at before I go for it.  So 4:30 is good.
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)