Author Topic: Post-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....  (Read 2836955 times)

Dread_Pirate_Mel

Re: Post-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....
« Reply #2050 on: February 19, 2012, 05:24:08 PM »
Damn I hope Bruce and Company are still around when my future wife forces me to unload all these &*(#ing posters I've accumulated!  I bought a lot of those posters for a small fraction of the cost they're going for on Emovie today.

Bruce

« Reply #2051 on: February 19, 2012, 05:46:27 PM »
Mel, you don't have to worry about it. Only your heirs will think about it, because you will be six feet under when those puppies get sold.

Bruce
« Last Edit: February 19, 2012, 05:53:42 PM by Bruce »

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #2052 on: February 19, 2012, 06:02:20 PM »
Well, I've got a date with "Bookshelf Blondie" ("great bookshelves!") tonight. She seemed rather terrified and perturbed when I showed her my Night of the Living Dead mylar poster.  I swear these girlies don't have a clue about what's cool!

By the way I bid $357 for the James Bond View To A Kill UK poster at the last minute but somebody topped it.  That was the most I could do b/c it had a chip in it.  (It is the only major James Bond one sheet I do not own, so if anybody wants to sell at a reasonable price.....)

« Last Edit: February 19, 2012, 06:07:38 PM by Dread_Pirate_Mel »

Offline ddilts399

• Hoarder
    • .5% of my collection online
« Reply #2053 on: February 19, 2012, 06:52:51 PM »
Damn I hope Bruce and Company are still around when my future wife forces me to unload all these &*(#ing posters I've accumulated!  I bought a lot of those posters for a small fraction of the cost they're going for on Emovie today.

Seems there was some overpaying goin on with the high end tonight.

Ted, I need a litte gif help here, can you fly the bird to the following friends this evening; mc448308 , Holiday, ACKOBA and throw Thierry in there too for taking another I wanted.

Offline enki

• Collector
« Reply #2054 on: February 19, 2012, 07:03:31 PM »

In my humble and very limited experienced opinion, I think there was a lot of overpaying even on the low end stuff tonight. As I had spent a ton of money last Sunday, I was planning on only getting some cheaper pieces today. Granted I wound up getting 2 more expensive ones, but were mainly focusing on $1-$20 posters. But almost all of the ones that I had assumed would go for $10-20 (based on prior recent auction results) went for double or more. I got into some bidding wars with a few people, but eventually just gave up when they were going insanely high.

For example, I wanted that Short Circuit in VG/FN condition, since it was one of my favorite movies growing up as a kid. Past auctions were $4-5, with one going for $9. Tonight's went for $24. Same poster and condition.

I also wanted the two Back to the Future 2 & 3 advances (to go with the B2TF 1 Advance I got last week). But someone else wanted both too and kept bidding them up to well above past auction values.

But I did pick up some nice posters nonetheless.

Offline holiday

• Thierry's Nightmare a/k/a King Slut
  • Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
« Reply #2055 on: February 19, 2012, 07:07:31 PM »

Ted, I need a litte gif help here, can you fly the bird to the following friends this evening; mc448308 , Holiday, ACKOBA and throw Thierry in there too for taking another I wanted.

Oh, Dale, you don't know how many times I let it go to you when I see you bidding!  I had to have that True Blood poster, though.  Sorry.  But you're right, definitely not worth what I ended up paying.
Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery

"What happened to all the people?" Mystified MPF Member, February 20, 2010

"I actually quite like the name Peanut."  Andy Neal on MOPO, April 22, 2010

Thierry:  Type the word APF on MPF and it spells: "Banned due to malicious unsolicited private message ".

Charlie to the guy who lost to EatBrie:  You just got "T-boned"!  Happens to the best of us...  Wait until you get "Holidazed"!

Thierry to Silhouette:  Please tell her it's a tiny part of my collection so she doesn't think I'm a total creep.  Oh wait, no, I am a total creep.

Offline holiday

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
« Reply #2056 on: February 19, 2012, 07:08:51 PM »
But someone else wanted both too and kept bidding them up to well above past auction values.

The thing is, past auction values are becoming less meaningful as new people come into the market.  Prices are going up, and those will be the new "past auction values."
Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery

Thierry:  Type the word APF on MPF and it spells: "Banned due to malicious unsolicited private message ".

Charlie to the guy who lost to EatBrie:  You just got "T-boned"!  Happens to the best of us...  Wait until you get "Holidazed"!

Thierry to Silhouette:  Please tell her it's a tiny part of my collection so she doesn't think I'm a total creep.  Oh wait, no, I am a total creep.

Offline enki

• Collector
« Reply #2057 on: February 19, 2012, 07:12:11 PM »
The thing is, past auction values are becoming less meaningful as new people come into the market.  Prices are going up, and those will be the new "past auction values."

True, but I think that would apply more to rarer items, or ones that don't come up as frequently. If the same poster sold for about $10, say five times over the past year, one would assume that it's common and that $10 is the going market value. If a month later, someone buys it for $40, I think that it's fair to say that they significantly overpaid for it.

Offline holiday

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
« Reply #2058 on: February 19, 2012, 07:14:59 PM »
True, but I think that would apply more to rarer items, or ones that don't come up as frequently. If the same poster sold for about $10, say five times over the past year, one would assume that it's common and that $10 is the going market value. If a month later, someone buys it for $40, I think that it's fair to say that they significantly overpaid for it.

I don't know.  I believe that the sale venue has a lot to do with it also.  The $10 poster sells on ebay.  The same thing sells for $40 with Bruce.  I definitely have learned the hard way to check what I can get the same poster for on ebay or elsewhere, and it happens a lot that I can get it on ebay for for much much less.

Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery

Offline ddilts399

• Hoarder
« Reply #2059 on: February 19, 2012, 07:19:45 PM »
Oh, Dale, you don't know how many times I let it go to you when I see you bidding!  I had to have that True Blood poster, though.  Sorry.  But you're right, definitely not worth what I ended up paying.

That was the one of about 4 I wanted, I ended up with a $2 win!

Offline jayn_j

• Hoarder
« Reply #2060 on: February 19, 2012, 07:23:17 PM »

And when the same item comes up again in 6 weeks, you will be glad you were outbid this time.  The newbie has his spoils and all goes back to normal.

That's why I run a strict strategy on bidding.
-Jay-

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #2061 on: February 19, 2012, 07:30:23 PM »
And when the same item comes up again in 6 weeks, you will be glad you were outbid this time.  The newbie has his spoils and all goes back to normal.

As a newbie in the not so distant past I know what you are saying. I paid what I consider too much a few times before I figured out patience.

Plus there are also the big spending new to a different collecting path type newbs.

Offline enki

• Collector
« Reply #2062 on: February 19, 2012, 08:48:51 PM »
I don't know.  I believe that the sale venue has a lot to do with it also.  The $10 poster sells on ebay.  The same thing sells for $40 with Bruce.  I definitely have learned the hard way to check what I can get the same poster for on ebay or elsewhere, and it happens a lot that I can get it on ebay for for much much less.

I would definitely agree with that. Though I base my price comparisons mostly off of EMP's auction history. That and Heritage, though those prices seem to fluctuate the most. Ebay's prices seem to wild to really count on for historical price tracking.

Since I am very new to the hobby, I've been trying to stay away from eBay, unless I see something that I really want and am willing to risk it being less than stellar. Since I don't have as strong as a background in authenticating and judging quality (yet!), I feel it's safer to stay in warmer waters for the time being. Also, outside of Cinemasterpieces, almost no sellers put good quality images of their posters up. They tend to be very small and grainy, which makes authentication and quality checking even harder.

Offline ddilts399

• Hoarder
« Reply #2063 on: February 19, 2012, 08:58:44 PM »
I would definitely agree with that. Though I base my price comparisons mostly off of EMP's auction history. That and Heritage, though those prices seem to fluctuate the most. Ebay's prices seem to wild to really count on for historical price tracking.

Since I am very new to the hobby, I've been trying to stay away from eBay, unless I see something that I really want and am willing to risk it being less than stellar. Since I don't have as strong as a background in authenticating and judging quality (yet!), I feel it's safer to stay in warmer waters for the time being. Also, outside of Cinemasterpieces, almost no sellers put good quality images of their posters up. They tend to be very small and grainy, which makes authentication and quality checking even harder.

Honestly this is a big mistake. Ebay is still a prime source for material. Yes you run a risk on the shipping side, and details, but sometimes the gamble is well worth it and if you find a seller you like, you ride them like no tomorrow if they sell items you are interested in.

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #2064 on: February 19, 2012, 09:07:47 PM »

From Dale (and Jack) with love...

« Last Edit: February 19, 2012, 09:39:53 PM by brude »

Bruce

« Reply #2065 on: February 19, 2012, 09:15:41 PM »
Every price in our Auction History was paid, and in cash (no trades, layaways, re-negotiated prices, etc). If a sale fell through and the item was re-auctioned, then the result is removed. THIS is not at all true of any other database, so bear that in mind when "checking prices".

Do people pay more for some items in our auctions? Sometimes, absolutely! Two prime reasons are first that you know when buying from us there is no fear of a fake, or shipping damage or whatever, and second that you save massively on shipping. Say you buy ten posters from us for $25 each, or $250 for all. We charge $11 U.S. shipping, so $261 total, Say you could find those same ten posters from ten different eBay sellers for an average of $15 each, or $150 total. But if you pay $11 shipping to each of them, you pay $260 total, for a savings of $1! And when one tube arrives damaged, and some others were over-graded, and you spent ten times the work finding them and ordering, you might say "Forget it" the next time and bid higher with us.

Bruce

P.S. If any of you DO have a collection of titles like these (that includes the better ones) and you want to "cash in", just let me know! You won't do any work except getting them safely to us, and it will be YOU cackling over the great prices YOU got next time!
« Last Edit: February 19, 2012, 09:23:52 PM by Bruce »

Offline enki

• Collector
« Reply #2066 on: February 19, 2012, 09:22:59 PM »
The flatrate (and discounted) shipping is certainly a huge plus at EMP. I've purchased a few posters for $1-5, simply because I didn't have to pay extra S/H since I already had won some others in the same auction.

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #2067 on: February 19, 2012, 09:24:58 PM »

This is for you and me, Dale!

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #2068 on: February 19, 2012, 09:27:07 PM »
at MoviePosterBid.com we ship everything by carrier pigeon.

we've tried to train the birds not to crease the posters with their claws and to especially not poop on the posters in flight.. but sometimes the pigeons don't always listen to what we say

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Offline jayn_j

• Hoarder
« Reply #2069 on: February 19, 2012, 10:27:00 PM »
at MoviePosterBid.com we ship everything by carrier pigeon.

we've tried to train the birds not to crease the posters with their claws and to especially not poop on the posters in flight.. but sometimes the pigeons don't always listen to what we say

I can verify that.  The posters are well packed, but often what's inside is pure crap :)  (I have horrid taste at times)
-Jay-

Charlie

« Reply #2070 on: February 19, 2012, 10:31:38 PM »
Every price in our Auction History was paid, and in cash (no trades, layaways, re-negotiated prices, etc). If a sale fell through and the item was re-auctioned, then the result is removed. THIS is not at all true of any other database, so bear that in mind when "checking prices".

Do people pay more for some items in our auctions? Sometimes, absolutely! Two prime reasons are first that you know when buying from us there is no fear of a fake, or shipping damage or whatever, and second that you save massively on shipping. Say you buy ten posters from us for $25 each, or $250 for all. We charge $11 U.S. shipping, so $261 total, Say you could find those same ten posters from ten different eBay sellers for an average of $15 each, or $150 total. But if you pay $11 shipping to each of them, you pay $260 total, for a savings of $1! And when one tube arrives damaged, and some others were over-graded, and you spent ten times the work finding them and ordering, you might say "Forget it" the next time and bid higher with us.

Bruce

P.S. If any of you DO have a collection of titles like these (that includes the better ones) and you want to "cash in", just let me know! You won't do any work except getting them safely to us, and it will be YOU cackling over the great prices YOU got next time!

Ok are youse for real this time?  Cause half the posters I wanted to sell were up on your site tonight... 

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #2071 on: February 19, 2012, 10:31:57 PM »
I can verify that.  The posters are well packed, but often what's inside is pure crap :)  (I have horrid taste at times)

this is your fault.. has nothing to do with my pigeons

:P

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Bruce

« Reply #2072 on: February 19, 2012, 11:17:12 PM »
Charlie

Send the half that were there, and keep the rest,  except for ones that will solidly average $20 each.

Bruce

Offline archie leach

• Hoarder
« Reply #2073 on: February 20, 2012, 04:45:47 AM »
Honestly this is a big mistake. Ebay is still a prime source for material. Yes you run a risk on the shipping side, and details, but sometimes the gamble is well worth it and if you find a seller you like, you ride them like no tomorrow if they sell items you are interested in.

Shhhh!!! You're givin' away all the secrets...

Offline Silhouette

• Hoarder
« Reply #2074 on: February 20, 2012, 04:55:20 AM »
We charge $11 U.S. shipping, so $261 total, Say you could find those same ten posters from ten different eBay sellers for an average of $15 each, or $150 total. But if you pay $11 shipping to each of them, you pay $260 total, for a savings of $1!

As an international bidder we don't get flat rate shipping but Bruce offers Pay and Hold (just for the internationals) and that is a great help because one can bulk up and save money in a big way.

cheers
David