Author Topic: Post-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....  (Read 2837440 times)

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
Re: Post-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....
« Reply #2025 on: February 11, 2012, 01:05:17 PM »
I doubt the poster market is that clever

I disagree.  If you're sitting on 50 Batman posters, you'd be a fool to release them all at the same time.  You look at the market, you see what's out there, you find your niche and make your $100 on a monthly or bi-monthly basis.  Multiply that by 10 or 20 titles and you're doing fine.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline Silhouette

• Hoarder
« Reply #2026 on: February 11, 2012, 01:14:53 PM »

I disagree.  If you're sitting on 50 Batman posters, you'd be a fool to release them all at the same time.  You look at the market, you see what's out there, you find your niche and make your $100 on a monthly or bi-monthly basis.  Multiply that by 10 or 20 titles and you're doing fine.

T

I don't disagree with that point that however the statement was "Where most of the items in existence are tightly controlled to keep a very limited supply available for purchase to create a fictitious limited availability to drive the prices up." I simply doubt that there is that sort supplier(s)  'controlling' the market to that sort of level. The diamond market (as was the example) as I understand it, is controlled by an extreme few and collusion is the norm not the exception.
David

Bruce

« Reply #2027 on: February 11, 2012, 02:25:56 PM »
There is also the issue of the seller's attitude, which turns some prospective buyers off:

http://members.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewUserPage&userid=27x40-ds-movie-posters

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #2028 on: February 11, 2012, 02:30:02 PM »
The Question: Can you ship this discreetly?

My Answer: Your getting something mailed to you in a 30 inch long cylindrical tube, just what is it your afraid people will think your purchasing?

;D ;D
« Last Edit: February 11, 2012, 02:30:15 PM by CSM »
Chris

Offline enki

• Collector
« Reply #2029 on: February 11, 2012, 02:43:22 PM »
There is also the issue of the seller's attitude, which turns some prospective buyers off:

http://members.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewUserPage&userid=27x40-ds-movie-posters

laugh1
Wow, thanks for showing that. Yeah, I see your point. There is a huge difference between someone being funny versus being a condescending a-hole. This guy certainly falls under the latter category. I don't know how many people didn't bid because of it, but I imagine anyone who read that rant would have had second thoughts. I think this one was the worst:
The Question: You have a big, fancy auction listing, but you should make it more apparent whether the poster is double-sided or not. Just the FACTS please.

My Answer: F-you buddy. Go make your own auction listing if you dont like mine.

Wow... Or maybe this one:

The Question: Thank you so much! You gave my daughter EXACTLY what she wanted!

My Answer: Your wife is next.

Or this one:

The Question: Could you put a note with this poster, "To the most beautiful 8 year old girl in the world!"

My Answer: Id rather not. Being featured on Dateline once this month already was enough for me.

What a douchebag.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #2030 on: February 11, 2012, 02:49:08 PM »

-Jeff

Offline archie leach

• Hoarder
« Reply #2031 on: February 11, 2012, 06:50:28 PM »
laugh1

What a douchebag.

I am glad that you came to it on your own.  I actually find his rant funny, for the most part, but there are plenty of other reason to arrive at that determination.

The upshot is that these poster were NEVER recalled, but unscrupulous sellers (particularly this guy) have spread the misinformation for personal gain.

See this thread for the story on this seller (username Hargon on the message boards since the beginning) and these posters...

http://stylec.yuku.com/topic/4441/Dark-Knight-recalled-according--MPF---according--Theatres

And this post on the MPA website...

http://movieposterauthenticating.com/wordpress/the-dark-knight/the-dark-knight-style-b/

Offline Silhouette

• Hoarder
« Reply #2032 on: February 11, 2012, 07:23:17 PM »

OMG - that is such an insult to anyone who buys, sells or trades in this hobby with good intentions.
David

ozcinemagic

« Reply #2033 on: February 11, 2012, 08:39:46 PM »
No change on my $2, but I think I would break my `only sell if have spare copy' rule and let mine go for $250 to Bruce's losing bidder.

Just goes to show that movie posters, like any items of nostalgia, are worth what someone will pay on the day.

This also did well: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200708377486

And the underbidder took the 2nd chance offer!  :o

Found 5 x Hannah in my db pile!!

guest4185

« Reply #2034 on: February 11, 2012, 09:49:05 PM »
Wow, more daybill madness. It's nice to know I have a few of those Rambos in my pile too.
A year or two ago I sold both Rocky 1 and 2 for more than $100 each on eBay

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #2035 on: February 11, 2012, 10:03:51 PM »
Just goes to show that movie posters, like any items of nostalgia, are worth what someone will pay on the day.

This also did well: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200708377486

And the underbidder took the 2nd chance offer!  :o

Found 5 x Hannah in my db pile!!

Saw that - scratched my head and then  eyeroll

Then I saw that John Reid sold his Hannah daybill for $24.99 and all was right in the world again (even if someone still overpaid!)
Chris

ozcinemagic

« Reply #2036 on: February 12, 2012, 06:25:50 AM »
Wow, more daybill madness. It's nice to know I have a few of those Rambos in my pile too.
A year or two ago I sold both Rocky 1 and 2 for more than $100 each on eBay

Just sold Rocky 2 db for $70 a fortnight ago. Also sold Rambo db for $70 last night!
Out of all the popular actors, good old Sly always seems to come through. Even better than 007 sometimes.

Offline Ari

• Curator
    • OFFALEATERS HOUSE OF THE DAMNED
« Reply #2037 on: February 12, 2012, 07:08:03 AM »
I used to regularly sell Rocky and Rambo posters FAST and for good $
An Error Has Occurred!
You can't report your own post to the moderator, that doesn't make sense!

Offline holiday

• Thierry's Nightmare a/k/a King Slut
  • Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
« Reply #2038 on: February 12, 2012, 07:29:14 PM »
Peoples, he's been around for a long long time.  He sells a limited number of posters, but what he sells is gem mint, though sometimes pricey versus what you can get the posters for from Dale.  In fact, I think the guy may have the same name as Dale!  i don't recall - it's been years since I bought from him.  Last time might be around 2006.

OMG - that is such an insult to anyone who buys, sells or trades in this hobby with good intentions.
Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery

"What happened to all the people?" Mystified MPF Member, February 20, 2010

"I actually quite like the name Peanut."  Andy Neal on MOPO, April 22, 2010

Thierry:  Type the word APF on MPF and it spells: "Banned due to malicious unsolicited private message ".

Charlie to the guy who lost to EatBrie:  You just got "T-boned"!  Happens to the best of us...  Wait until you get "Holidazed"!

Thierry to Silhouette:  Please tell her it's a tiny part of my collection so she doesn't think I'm a total creep.  Oh wait, no, I am a total creep.

Offline Silhouette

• Hoarder
« Reply #2039 on: February 12, 2012, 07:47:08 PM »
Peoples, he's been around for a long long time.  He sells a limited number of posters, but what he sells is gem mint, though sometimes pricey versus what you can get the posters for from Dale.  In fact, I think the guy may have the same name as Dale!  i don't recall - it's been years since I bought from him.  Last time might be around 2006.

The quality of his product was not in question, just his attitude in his FAQs
David

Offline enki

• Collector
« Reply #2040 on: February 12, 2012, 09:06:38 PM »
The quality of his product was not in question, just his attitude in his FAQs

I don't think his attitude is in question either. It's plain to see that the guy is an arrogant douchebag.

Offline holiday

• Thierry's Nightmare a/k/a King Slut
  • Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
« Reply #2041 on: February 13, 2012, 11:20:55 PM »
I could care less about attitude, frankly.  I've bought from Gregg Egbert before, and I don't think anyone out there is more fucked up in the head than he is. BUT, I'm a ho, and I'll go where I need to to get my poster!

Besides, the faq is hysterical.  I reread the whole thing the other night, and was damned near pissing myself laughing so hard, especially with some that I read to my wife.

It's all in the perspective....
Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery

"What happened to all the people?" Mystified MPF Member, February 20, 2010

"I actually quite like the name Peanut."  Andy Neal on MOPO, April 22, 2010

Thierry:  Type the word APF on MPF and it spells: "Banned due to malicious unsolicited private message ".

Charlie to the guy who lost to EatBrie:  You just got "T-boned"!  Happens to the best of us...  Wait until you get "Holidazed"!

Thierry to Silhouette:  Please tell her it's a tiny part of my collection so she doesn't think I'm a total creep.  Oh wait, no, I am a total creep.

Offline Louie D.

• Hoarder
« Reply #2042 on: February 16, 2012, 11:21:48 PM »
If the end of Bruce's auctions tonight is any indication of the prices vintage stuff is going for, it's probably time to start selling my collection.

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #2043 on: February 16, 2012, 11:46:11 PM »
If the end of Bruce's auctions tonight is any indication of the prices vintage stuff is going for, it's probably time to start selling my collection.

I wasn't watching.. was it good or bad??

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Offline Louie D.

• Hoarder
« Reply #2044 on: February 17, 2012, 12:11:39 AM »

Good for Bruce, bad for me.

Offline 110x75

• Hoarder
« Reply #2045 on: February 17, 2012, 12:22:21 AM »

Just demented on some items  :o
Matias
http://110x75.blogspot.com.ar/

IG: @cinepapelarchivo

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #2046 on: February 17, 2012, 02:43:37 AM »
Just demented on some items  :o

I just looked at the results and I'm not sure what you mean Matias..
everything looked pretty much like what it should sell for and there were few surprises other than how low priced the 11x14 stills were in lots of cases and that Joan Crawford obviously isn't selling anymore. an 11x14 of Joan for just $6 is low price insanity

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Bruce

« Reply #2047 on: February 18, 2012, 01:28:35 PM »
I wonder what these would have sold for, had they actually been auctioned, instead of being passes in eBay's "faux" auctions:

http://www.ebay.com/csc/museumofmomandpopculture/m.html?rt=nc&LH_Complete=1&_fln=1&_trksid=p3911.c0.m283

guest4185

« Reply #2048 on: February 19, 2012, 05:02:23 AM »
Daybill sales continue to impress. I got $182.50 today for a Stagecoach, and I mean the '66 version not the Duke

Offline wonka

• Hoarder
  • Reverend of the APF
« Reply #2049 on: February 19, 2012, 10:25:39 AM »
"Ben. His name is Ben. But he's a Celtic fan, so Asshole will do too." -Thierry

Quote from: MoviePosterBid.com
I was mistaken,