Author Topic: Post-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....  (Read 2838159 times)

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
Re: Post-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....
« Reply #1900 on: January 23, 2012, 04:57:26 AM »
I know a dude who is a professional.  He doesn't forge posters, just everything else.
Incredibly good at it.  He just needs a copy to look at while his hand does the rest.
One or two trial runs and he's good to go.
Started as a kid forging absentee notes from his parents.
The joys of a misspent youth, I guess....

Online marklawd

• Hoarder
« Reply #1901 on: January 23, 2012, 05:42:43 AM »
An autograph makes a mass produced poster individually unique - so long as the authenticity/provenance of the signature can be established to a reasonable degree and other considerations are met, it is a commercial fact that a poster signed by an important director or leading star becomes more desirable and therefore valuable, whatever the personal views expressed on this forum.   

I initially considered bidding on the Kubrick-signed Clockwork Orange when it was first listed as I collect director-signed posters as well. However, I thought the poster was in poor condition and I did not like the appearance and position of the signature. Although Kubrick was considered reclusive he was not averse to signing memorabilia and for the sort of money that was eventually paid it should be possible to find a much better example.

Mark 

Offline stewart boyle

• Hoarder
« Reply #1902 on: January 23, 2012, 05:57:39 AM »
I picked up a Blues Brothers Digital re-release poster for 99p last year. There is 1 on the bay signed by Landis for £75 now !

Stew

Online marklawd

• Hoarder
« Reply #1903 on: January 23, 2012, 07:14:16 AM »
John Landis is one of only two individuals (the other was John Hurt) I have ever paid for their autograph - he attended a convention in London and was charging £20/autograph I recall - I got American Werewolf, Trading Places, Animal House and Blues Brothers one sheets signed. I made an exception in this case in view of his status as a director as I would never consider paying normally - I would never ask, let alone pay, C-list celebrities typically found at such conventions to sign any posters as that dimishes value in my opinion.

Mark

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #1904 on: January 23, 2012, 12:14:39 PM »
I think this all boils down to, if you are a "pure" poster collector, you don't want anything on that poster. To people who just love film, like myself, who would pay that bit more if I knew the signature was genuine. But, For that I personally would want many photo's of the signing taking place, and one where I could see the poster it's self...

I have only ever bought one poster I never personally witnessed getting signed, but the guy I bough it off showed me the photo's of him with the Director, and the Director signing the poster.  All the signatures I have obtained on mine Yvonne Has Video taped the event. More for personal reasons than Authentication.

I quite agree with most of what Mark has said, though who you would call C-list in a "B" picture is up for debate... If I like the Actor/Director/Guy who swept up after filming, enough I would get them to sign it. As I have No intentions of selling, these are for my own pleasure, I know they are genuine, and aren't in this game to make money. So couldn't give two F**ks if people don't want to believe if it's a genuine signature or not. 

It's the same as anything, if you know your subject you will be fine. If you don't you'll waste money on a fakes......I wonder how many of you "poster" collectors have a Repro in your collection, you bought without knowing it was.......Come on hands up.... eyeroll

It's more than a Hobby...

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #1905 on: January 23, 2012, 02:51:41 PM »
An autograph makes a mass produced poster individually unique - so long as the authenticity/provenance of the signature can be established to a reasonable degree...

Yes if it was signed to you, and yes if you were there when it was signed.  Anything short of that cannot be trusted, IMO.

I personally don't understand what a signature on a piece of paper does to people.  I accept it, but I don't understand it.  Someone wrote his/her name with black ink... Yippee-ki-yay!  I do get that it matters to some, so I can't really bash the concept.  After all, I do collect movie posters, which is the most absurd waste of time and money to 99% of the population.  If you were at a convention, or at a premiere, and had someone you like autograph a piece of paper, and if it makes you happy, more power to you.

What I do not get are all these people buying signed items at auctions, on Ebay or anywhere else and believing their idol signed it in person because of a bullshit COA, or because one of the charlatans who makes a business out of fooling the gullible told them it is. 

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline archie leach

• Hoarder
« Reply #1906 on: January 23, 2012, 02:59:53 PM »
Do you have the same issue with signed vs unsigned paintings?

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #1907 on: January 23, 2012, 03:08:11 PM »
It's a little different, because it's not the signature you focus on when verifying a piece of fine art's authenticity, but the entire painting, watercolor or drawing.  A Degas signature is important, of course, but it is so simple a child could reproduce it.  In this specific case, you would also examine the age of the signature, along with the rest of the piece.  I don't think any of this can be done to Sylvester Stallone's signature on a Rocky poster.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline wonka

• Hoarder
  • Reverend of the APF
« Reply #1908 on: January 23, 2012, 04:55:54 PM »
It's a little different, because it's not the signature you focus on when verifying a piece of fine art's authenticity, but the entire painting, watercolor or drawing.  A Degas signature is important, of course, but it is so simple a child could reproduce it. 

This is why I don't purchase any Degas, I stick with Monet and Pissarro when selecting my French Impressionist OGs.
"Ben. His name is Ben. But he's a Celtic fan, so Asshole will do too." -Thierry

Quote from: MoviePosterBid.com
I was mistaken,

Offline archie leach

• Hoarder
« Reply #1909 on: January 23, 2012, 06:16:29 PM »
This is why I don't purchase any Degas, I stick with Monet and Pissarro when selecting my French Impressionist OGs.

I wait for the metallic variant releases...

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #1910 on: January 23, 2012, 09:28:35 PM »
Well, looks like somebody thought this Godzilla poster was the real deal and got it for $255.  The size was 26.5 x 39.5 but possibly trimmed. However, the bottom NSS paragraph and logo (bottom logo) seemed to be the real deal. The seller wrote:

Unsure of the age of this vintage movie poster. It was in with a grouping of several original Western theater posters, and a few vintage sci-fi posters.  Rolled, with edge wear and tear, but still has very bright graphics, and would look sweet framed. I am not an expert on movie posters, but it is my guess that this is a vintage poster, but, a later copy. Rough size of 26-1/2" x 39-1/2".

Here is a picture of an untrimmed Godzilla 1S from another sale:

« Last Edit: January 23, 2012, 09:32:53 PM by Dread_Pirate_Mel »

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #1911 on: January 23, 2012, 10:08:45 PM »
1st problem: it's not folded

2nd problem: it's too glossy

3rd problem: size
Chris

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #1912 on: January 23, 2012, 10:26:14 PM »
4th problem.. I have the same reproduction, and I also sold one just like it

http://www.movieposterbid.com/itemdetl.asp?id=71284

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #1913 on: January 23, 2012, 10:31:38 PM »
Well, non-mystery solved - who makes those repros?

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #1914 on: January 23, 2012, 10:51:18 PM »
4th problem.. I have the same reproduction, and I also sold one just like it

http://www.movieposterbid.com/itemdetl.asp?id=71284

YOU SELL REPROS???????
My Personal Collection

• Post-aholic
« Reply #1915 on: January 23, 2012, 11:03:43 PM »
YOU SELL REPROS???????

I've sold some, but not many.. however, when I do, they are stated as such

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder

-------

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #1916 on: January 23, 2012, 11:59:03 PM »
I've sold some, but not many.. however, when I do, they are stated as such

No problem with that.
Chris

• Post-aholic
« Reply #1917 on: January 24, 2012, 12:42:02 AM »
YOU SELL REPROS???????
No problem with that.

actually Chris.. I think it means I'M GOING TO HELL..........

-------

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #1918 on: January 24, 2012, 09:51:57 AM »

Rich, you were going to hell well before you starting auctioning repros!
Chris

Offline wonka

• Hoarder
  • Reverend of the APF
« Reply #1919 on: January 24, 2012, 09:54:12 AM »
Rich, before you go to hell, can I get a good deal on an ET Moon?
"Ben. His name is Ben. But he's a Celtic fan, so Asshole will do too." -Thierry

Quote from: MoviePosterBid.com
I was mistaken,

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #1920 on: January 24, 2012, 11:43:35 AM »
And leave me your Universal Horror stuff.... ;D
It's more than a Hobby...

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #1921 on: January 24, 2012, 12:09:18 PM »

Yeah, Jeannie actually mentioned something like this.
My Personal Collection

Offline jayn_j

• Hoarder
-Jay-

• Post-aholic
« Reply #1924 on: January 24, 2012, 08:48:03 PM »
actually, I thought Hell was living in New Jersey

-------