Author Topic: Post-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....  (Read 2836881 times)

Offline paul waines

• Curator
Re: Post-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....
« Reply #1875 on: January 21, 2012, 01:50:09 PM »
 Oh that's right - my name isn't Matt

Maybe it's Door-matt, and they walk right over you.... ;)
« Last Edit: January 21, 2012, 02:12:29 PM by paul waines »
It's more than a Hobby...

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #1876 on: January 21, 2012, 01:51:31 PM »
Maybe it's Door-matt, and they walk right over you.... ;)

Could be Paul  >:(
Chris

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #1877 on: January 21, 2012, 02:16:22 PM »
I might also mention I believe hisgoods4u is another ebay seller who is selling a similar type collection

Is that the guy who had all the 50s B/monster movies?  That was crazy a few months back... complete sets of paper for some of the best titles (1sh, insert, HS, LCs, etc...).

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #1878 on: January 21, 2012, 03:40:09 PM »
Is that the guy who had all the 50s B/monster movies?  That was crazy a few months back... complete sets of paper for some of the best titles (1sh, insert, HS, LCs, etc...).

correct

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #1879 on: January 22, 2012, 04:40:48 PM »
At least I made the fucker pay: http://auctions.emovieposter.com/Bidding.taf?_function=detail&Auction_uid1=2443023#BID

Kubrick is my all-time favorite director.  And while I don't give a crap about signatures from actors, I would love to someday own some unique signed posters from Kubrick & Leone.  I might be waiting a long time for something like this to pop up again. 

Oh well, I found myself tallying up all the posters in my head that I would have to sell to get this and I eventually decided to let it go...

Offline wonka

• Hoarder
  • Reverend of the APF
« Reply #1880 on: January 22, 2012, 04:43:50 PM »
I was going to bid myself earlier today, then it shot up a bit, and I bailed.

Nice ping-pong match there, Matt.

Bigger question is: Only $766, Dave?
"Ben. His name is Ben. But he's a Celtic fan, so Asshole will do too." -Thierry

Quote from: MoviePosterBid.com
I was mistaken,

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #1881 on: January 22, 2012, 04:47:57 PM »
Nice ping-pong match there, Matt.

Yeah, it we were basically each tossing a hondo on the table back and forth for the last 30 minutes.  Well played iw296754.

Dave is a business man.  He was wise to steer clear of this emotion-filled run up. 

Offline wonka

• Hoarder
  • Reverend of the APF
« Reply #1882 on: January 22, 2012, 04:54:36 PM »
He is, although with his tried and true successful markup, he probably would have found a buyer at $8k or so down the road.

I was mistaken,

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #1883 on: January 22, 2012, 04:57:37 PM »
He is, although with his tried and true successful markup, he probably would have found a buyer at $8k or so down the road.

Probably me  ;)

Offline wonka

• Hoarder
  • Reverend of the APF
« Reply #1884 on: January 22, 2012, 05:02:12 PM »
Hahahaha!

I was mistaken,

Bruce

« Reply #1885 on: January 22, 2012, 08:21:55 PM »
There was the condition issue too. Still, how often do you get country of origin AND signed by the director on a GREAT movie?

Bruce

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #1886 on: January 22, 2012, 08:24:08 PM »
There was the condition issue too. Still, how often do you get country of origin AND signed by the EXTREMELY RECLUSIVE director on a GREAT movie?

Bruce

Fixed it for you. 

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #1887 on: January 22, 2012, 08:25:45 PM »
 ;D

I wish you had gotten it man. I always love when I see a super kick ass poster posted on this forum.

Bruce

« Reply #1888 on: January 22, 2012, 08:27:30 PM »
The guy you were up against only goes for these kinds of super-rarities.

Bruce

Offline stewart boyle

• Hoarder
« Reply #1889 on: January 22, 2012, 08:47:30 PM »
The guy you were up against only goes for these kinds of super-rarities.

Bruce
Priceless info...

Stew

Offline archie leach

• Hoarder
« Reply #1890 on: January 22, 2012, 09:54:21 PM »
As a collector of director autographs on posters, I keep an eye out for such things. 

I've seen more Kubrick autographed posters than for any other director not named Spielberg or Lucas.  Though this might be because he's a personal favorite...

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #1891 on: January 23, 2012, 12:15:05 AM »
At least I made the fucker pay: http://auctions.emovieposter.com/Bidding.taf?_function=detail&Auction_uid1=2443023#BID

Good for you!

Although I really, REALLY don't understand why anyone would pay anything on something signed.  I just don't get it.  It's all fake to me.  I don't care where it's coming from, if it's not signed to you IN PERSON, it's shit.  What is the point of owning something signed by - maybe - the right person?  And even if it is the right person, which I would doubt for the rest of my life, how can you, or your children, prove it the day you decide to part with your oh so precious poster.  It is a total mystery to me.

Beyond that, why would you want something that is not signed to you?

T
« Last Edit: January 23, 2012, 12:17:02 AM by eatbrie »
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline TheAnswerMVP2001

• Collector
  • Just Mellin'
    • Voluptuous Vinyl
« Reply #1892 on: January 23, 2012, 12:47:46 AM »
And even if it is the right person, which I would doubt for the rest of my life, how can you, or your children, prove it the day you decide to part with your oh so precious poster.  It is a total mystery to me.

Beyond that, why would you want something that is not signed to you?

T

There are plenty of people out there who have made a profession out of verifying signatures, like that guy Drew on Pawn Stars. 

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #1893 on: January 23, 2012, 12:55:04 AM »
There are plenty of people out there who have made a profession out of verifying signatures, like that guy Drew on Pawn Stars. 

laugh1 laugh1 laugh1 laugh1 laugh1 laugh1 laugh1 laugh1 laugh1 laugh1 laugh1 laugh1 laugh1 laugh1

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #1894 on: January 23, 2012, 01:01:05 AM »

This is total bullshit (excuse my French).  I have a friend who can mimic to perfection anyone's signature after seeing it only once.  He did mine, mixed it up with the real thing and I couldn't tell.  No one can verify a signature.  There are so many gullible people out there, I am not surprised anyone would abuse people's good faith in order to make a living.
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline TheAnswerMVP2001

• Collector
  • Just Mellin'
    • Voluptuous Vinyl
« Reply #1895 on: January 23, 2012, 02:09:30 AM »
Whatever, you get something verified by someone like that people are willing to pay more.  I'm like you who cares about a signature unless you were the one who got it, it means nothing to me.  But they make things worth more, if that makes the buyers gullible that isn't my problem, their gullibility makes me more money.  I'm surprised you're not applauding these verifiers, you the person who makes a hobby out of running up auctions for pure pleasure!  Seems to me you prey on the gullible.  ;)

Online 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #1896 on: January 23, 2012, 02:37:18 AM »
I would never buy a poster with an added signature. If I found myself with one, and it was rough enough, I'd use it as toilet paper

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #1897 on: January 23, 2012, 02:43:41 AM »
I'm surprised you're not applauding these verifiers, you the person who makes a hobby out of running up auctions for pure pleasure!  Seems to me you prey on the gullible.  ;)

This doesn't make any sense to me whatsoever.  These so-called "verifiers" are crooks.  They make a living out of a lie.  Why should I applaud them?  And what does it have to do with taking pleasure in making someone pay more for something I want?  I don't see the parallel, sorry.

T
My Personal Collection

Offline TheAnswerMVP2001

• Collector
  • Just Mellin'
    • Voluptuous Vinyl
« Reply #1898 on: January 23, 2012, 03:45:00 AM »
This doesn't make any sense to me whatsoever.  These so-called "verifiers" are crooks.  They make a living out of a lie.  Why should I applaud them?  And what does it have to do with taking pleasure in making someone pay more for something I want?  I don't see the parallel, sorry.

T

No matter.  I think "crooks" is a little hard, you can say there are crooks in every profession.  If you did a little research I think you'd find they have to go through a lot of studying to be able to do it, it's not like becoming a notary.  I think there are some individuals out their who have a talent for studying signatures because they've got the training and experience of studying thousands of them!  Just because your friend can duplicate your signature and you can't tell doesn't mean there aren't ways to tell.  Have you studied your signature? Determined the patterns, did you take out your magnifying glass and really look at it?  Did you compare it to dozens of other signatures you know are yours?  I doubt it.  It's pretty harsh to label an entire profession as a crock solely on the basis you can't tell your signature from your friends at a glance.

And the only parallel I was playfully hinting at is the fact you say they abuse gullible people by taking their money when you get joy out of making gullible people pay more money.  Both situations gullible people are supposedly being played, so why would you care?  I thought it was pretty clear.  Anyhow I'm sure there are some trustworthy people out there who know what they're doing, why don't you do a little research on the process and the training before you shun the whole profession as "a lie".  Just because it doesn't make sense to you doesn't mean it's not valid.

Online 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #1899 on: January 23, 2012, 04:27:14 AM »
 pcorn